Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 9

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.30.2014 | 3:46 PM ET

Cemetery Man ( The best zombie movie you have not seen)

Trick'r Treat ( One of the best films for Halloween in recent years)

Return of the Living Dead ( It's mad cool yo)

Jacob's Ladder ( A much forgotten gem that although may not fit perfectly into the genre is very dark, memorable)

Suspiria ( Aslong as you can buy into a good horror movie, this one is one of the scariest ever and the cinematography is beautiful and the soundtrack eerily unnerving)

Just trying to name a few others haven't already brought up, you guys named a lot of the great ones.

* Edited at 10.30.2014, 3:53 PM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

10.30.2014 | 4:28 PM ET

Trick r' Treat used to be on Netflix. Solid scary movie. 

"Frig off, bud"

Griffy
Griffy

10.31.2014 | 6:54 PM ET

Nomad, Cemetery Man was an awesome film! I love dark comedy.

And Jacob's Ladder is just messed up (in a good way), I first saw it when I was really young and it freaked me out.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

10.31.2014 | 7:34 PM ET

Tonight:

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
Fright Night (2011)
Near Dark
ParaNorman

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Nomad
Nomad

10.31.2014 | 7:36 PM ET

Griffy, you're alright by me, for a Canadian.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Griffy
Griffy

11.02.2014 | 6:43 AM ET

Beauty, cheers bud!

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

11.02.2014 | 7:33 AM ET

My god I'm proud to be Canadian, and with all this **** that happened I've been thinking about being Canadian a lot.   It's tough sometimes to see how were portrayed In media, specifically in America,  a lot of ignorant people don't even consider us a world power.  But I think this is the greatest place in the world, we have amazing education, with some of the best education in the world.    We have a great separation of church and state, which is so underrated it's ridiculous,  we have an extremely progressive country,  not letting things like religion hold us back from legalizing gay marriage and stem cell research.  We're an extremely friendly and open nation, giving aid to poorer countries and letting in lots of immigrants annually.  We don't start wars, we're peacekeepers, but when **** hits the fan we bring the ******* thunder.  We have an amazing health care system,  I can literally chop my finger off right now, and get it reattached for free, no strings, nothing, and free pain meds.  Which is paid for by the tax system, which makes you pay more, the more you make, so poorer people pay a lot less.  Which I don't mind paying taxes, which pays for all the socially funded programs we have.  I've met, and heard, many Americans talk down to canada, which is ignorant.  There's been a lot of movies about America being invaded lately,  and if it ever did happen, it wouldn't be the transformers, or the avengers, coming to help, it'll be the Canadians, because like it or not, we're basically your only friend, and the only ones who would be able to help immediately in a domestic attack.  And **** off nomad, or I swear to Captain Canuck we'll burn down the White House again, have a Canadian beer, that ****s awesome com paired to the pisswater you guys call beer. If you don't think canada is awesome after all that, I leave you with these parting words, from the great Canadian Colin Mochrie,

"We're bigger then you, and we're on top, if this were prison, you'd be our *****"

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

11.02.2014 | 9:00 AM ET

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.02.2014 | 2:12 PM ET

My wife and I just finished our 31 days of Horror where we review a Horror type movie every day of october. There have been a lot of good movies out in the theater lately as well. We just saw "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)" which was excellent with great camera work. Before that we saw "Nightcrawler" which is another good one and totally creeptastic. John Wick was an unexpectedly fun film with some awesome action scenes. There are some terrible films out as well both "Ouija" and "The Best of Me" are steaming piles of dog ****. Luke Bracey is one of the derpiest actors alive. "St Vincent" was good and Bill Murray is king. "Book of Life" is a vibrant colorful movie and a fun watch. "Men, Woman, & Children" was mediocre at best and wanted to be more poignant than it was. "Fury" was awesome and gritty it is not your typical war glorifying military picture. "Kill the Messanger" was interesting. "The Guest" was another pleasant surprise. "Dracula Untold" was very meh and was in desperate need of an R rating, it is filled with a lot of nonsensical moments and Dracula's powers are very inconsistent. "The Judge" was good but was very oscar batey and kind of sappy though Duvall may get actually get recognized at award time. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.02.2014 | 2:55 PM ET

I saw John Wick. Thought it was great. Solid 8/10 for me. Fury was another 8/10. Great film, but hard watch.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  49,270  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,206
  • Post Score: 147

11.02.2014 | 4:24 PM ET

anybody watch into the storm yet, if so any good?

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.02.2014 | 4:57 PM ET

Yeah I saw into the storm. It has some cool disaster footage but the whole human stories are rather forgettable. You really don't care about any of the characters and none have the acting chops of the cast of Twister. It is shot in found footage style which I usually find distracting but that wasn't the case in this film. I don't think there are that many technical updates as far as what we all saw in twister though the fire tornado is pretty cool. Really the best thing in the movie is the Titus which is basically a slightly moded Nolan style bat mobile. The film may lose a lot of it's impact bringing it down off the big screen to home theater size. Overall decent but nothing amazing. 

* Edited at 11.02.2014, 4:59 PM ET *

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.02.2014 | 8:40 PM ET

I liked some parts of your little rant Tnuggs but Canadian beer and American beer taste pretty much the same.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.03.2014 | 8:49 PM ET

So, I haven't watched a whole lot of movies since my attention span suspiciously disappeared but I watched 22 Jump Street last night and it was funny as hell. much recommended

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.03.2014 | 10:09 PM ET

Just watched "Before I Go to Sleep". It's a suspense/mystery with a similar premise to "50 first dates" with a little "Memento" thrown in.  A woman has an injury which causes her to be unable to form new memories and she cant remember anything after her early 20's. She wakes up every morning oblivious to what has happened and looks at photos that are taped to the bathroom wall to remind her of her life as her husband has to convince her of their life together every day. She secretly is getting therapy to help her remember and starts to unravel the mystery of her life and how she got the way she is. 

Very meh. Didn't hate it but can't say I really liked it. It will just be one of those movies that are eventually forgotten if you ever new it existed in the first place. 

* Edited at 11.03.2014, 10:11 PM ET *

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.05.2014 | 10:34 AM ET

Saw "Intersellar" last night. I love Christopher Nolan's work but this one left me a little dissapointed.  Special effects are really good and there are definitely some cool elements of the film he actually keeps space silent which I like. For me it starts out strong and is compelling for about 3/4 of the nearly 3hr run time but the ending is really weak. I won't go into details to avoid spoilers but definitely not Nolan's best. Not bad but given some of the early reviews and hype I was expecting phenomenal and it wasn't that. 

Edit: The theater I saw it at was showing it in 35mm film. As Nolan wanted it to be shown on actual film, other than an imperfect nostalgic look it doesn't add much for me. 

* Edited at 11.05.2014, 11:06 AM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.05.2014 | 11:50 AM ET

Hearing disappointing things about Interstellar. Shame because Inception and Memento are two of my all-time favorite films. I thought Nolan faltered with the Dark Knight Rises. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.05.2014 | 12:03 PM ET

I've hyped up Interstellar soooo much in my mind. I'm afraid I'll be a little disappointed, but I've read mixed reviews. TDKR gets more **** than it deserves imo. It wasn't as good as the other two movies, but it can stand alone as a pretty solid flick. One cool thing about Interstellar is that they used virtually no green screen. Most of the landscapes they actually went to different locations and built a ton of cool spaceship sets for filming. I'm going to see it tomorrow night, so I'll try my hardest to formulate an unbiased opinion then. 

"Frig off, bud"

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.05.2014 | 2:26 PM ET

I like "The Dark Night Rises" just fine. It fell short of "The Dark Night" and the death scene of Talia al Ghul stands out as a low point in that film.... aeh. 

Nomad
Nomad

11.05.2014 | 7:04 PM ET

I fell asleep to the Dark Knight Rises two times before completing it. The first two were truly excellent, the Dark Knight being arguably the best super hero and action movie ever made. 

I've been enjoying John Carpenter films in the spirit of Halloween, the man is bloody brilliant even if he's from Kentucky.

Anyone remember Kids back in 1995?

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• PFL 3 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Goiti Yamauchi vs. Neiman Gracie II - Waiting for the judges to tally their final scores.
  • Join the PFL 3 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Goiti Yamauchi 91% Neiman Gracie 9%
  • Goiti Yamauchi (28-6-0) PR, BR is the #46th Top Welterweight MMA fighter.
  • Neiman Gracie (12-4-0) NY, US is the #63rd Top Welterweight MMA fighter.
  • PFL 3 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois