Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 54

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.06.2015 | 9:12 PM ET

Watched "Spectre" today and I thought it was pretty good. This one starts to throw back to previous Bond films adding a few gadgets, Christoph Waltz is a villain that is very much an old school Bond villain.****literally an old school villain he is a character that has appeared many times before**** Hinx played by Dave Bautista can be equated to a Jaws or an Oddjob type. So Spectre is moving away from the Dark and Gritty back to the more fun style. It also brings the 4 Craig films together. 

Other movies I saw this week
Our Brand is Crisis - actually thought it was decent. 
The Last Witch Hunter - Had potential and a good concept needed a more capable lead actor to pull it off. 
Truth - Has drawn some extreme political controversy but is intriguing and superbly acted by Cate Blanchett. 
Rock the Khasba - Squandered potential that is terribly disjointed and could have been much better than it was. 
Burnt - Another Squandered potential film had all the ingredients for something good but somebody ****** up the recipe and it came out bland. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.07.2015 | 7:47 AM ET

I was thinking about how people say that Bond is just a code name and that is why the actors look different.There is one problem with that: In License to Kill, they say he was engaged once. That was the Lazenby Bond so that mean him and Dalton are the same person. 

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.18.2015 | 12:51 AM ET

Watched "Spotlight" yesterday and it's excellent.  It's about the Spotlight team of the Boston Globe investigating child molestation within the Catholic church and how the church covered it up for decades and kept offending priests in circulation. 

Also saw "Suffragette" today which is a solid film with very good acting from Carey Mulligan some characters feel underdeveloped though. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.18.2015 | 8:00 AM ET

I find it hard to watch some movies around this time if year as they beg for an Oscars nomination without any real substance. Having 10 nominees for best picture also waters it down just so they can market the movie later as a nominee.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.18.2015 | 8:47 PM ET

Nothing wrong with Oscar Bait movies as long as they are good. In order to even get nominated it takes over 300 #1 votes to be considered by the academy and over 500 to clinch a nomination.  It's now very unlikely to get 10 nominations.  

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.19.2015 | 7:41 AM ET

With 10 nominations, it is possible. 
Just take a look at acting nominations, they use them in almost every drama trailer now. It is to market.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.19.2015 | 1:36 PM ET

It's up to 10 nominations now not for sure 10 nominations could be 7 could be 9. There have been talks of the academy reducing it back to 5 though. I believe they upped it to 10 in the first place in the hopes more independent films would get on the ballot. Best Picture is the only category everyone in the academy votes on where every other category are nominated by those in a specific field So the nomination base is much larger. Directors vote on Directors, Actors on Actors, Make-up artists on Make-up, writers on writing etc. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.19.2015 | 2:59 PM ET

Yes, it was only Best Picture I was talking about.

They used to have ten nominees for Best Picture in the early days too.

I believe they changed it(they won't admit it) because like I said, it gives more attention to some movies.  It is pretty easy to tell which movie will be Best Picture every year.  The last year it did not seem to be was in 1998 in which Shakespeare in Love won.  Everyone thought Saving Private Ryan would.  I bet Rocky(1976) and Godfather(1972) were surprises too as they had less wins than others.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.19.2015 | 4:00 PM ET

Rocky was definitely a surprise but I watched just last week again and that first Rocky is really a good movie. It was Up against "All the Presidents Men," "Network," and "Taxi Driver" that's a really solid year all very good movies. The awards for 2012 movies wound up pretty weak of all the nominations the only two that I thought were excellent were Argo and Django. People were surprised Argo won because Affleck didn't even get nominated for Best Director.  Last year had some real strong contenders with Birdman, Whiplash,  and Boyhood which I didn't think was that good but critics just creamed over. The year before it was very clear 12 years a slave would win. This year my leading picks for nomination would be Sicario and Spotlight so far but I haven't really seen anything else that I can absolutely say yes that will be nominated.  But of course even before they are released there is already buzz for certain movies like The Revenant, Room, and a few others. They release like 10 movies Christmas week and a good chunk are vying for Oscar contention.  

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.19.2015 | 11:38 PM ET

I worked at a theatre for 7 years. Met people from some of the movie companies for screenings and such. Test audiences if you will. That is how I know some of these trends. Yes, December is a strong time for Oscars bait but it really starts around Thanksgiving. Of course there are ones which were not like Silence of the Lambs which was released in March.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.20.2015 | 12:05 AM ET

There were movies that came out this year that looked like they were shot to be Oscar bait, Burnt and Our Brand is Crisis to name two. But obviously they knew they weren't by the time they were done being edited which would probably explain why they were released in October. 

* Edited at 11.20.2015, 12:06 AM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.20.2015 | 7:52 AM ET

Suffragette looks like Oscars bait.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.20.2015 | 1:18 PM ET

It certainly did and Carey Mulligan has dark horse a chance at a nom but the overall film itself is only just good. It's certainly not Oscar worthy. They advertise Streep being a strong role but she has one scene and it's less than 5 minutes so I doubt even she could pull a nomination out of that. Though it's political message is very hot toppic right now.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.20.2015 | 1:50 PM ET

They nominated Ruby Dee for American Gangster for like 10 minutes so who knows.  ;)

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.21.2015 | 4:46 PM ET

Saw Mockingjay 2 last night. Good movie but epilogue seemed like Little House on the Prairie.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.21.2015 | 6:51 PM ET

^ Watched it yesterday as well. It's good but should have never been split in two movies one three hour movie would have been better than two two hour plus movies. Has a somber kind of cynical ending not the typical hollywood happily ever after, more of getting by in life while struggling with personal demons. 

* Edited at 11.21.2015, 6:52 PM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.21.2015 | 7:18 PM ET

You notice how obvious it was that Phillips Seymore Hoffman was inserted towards the end?

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.21.2015 | 7:49 PM ET

Yeah the 3rd book seemed really rushed and I've always been bummed with the ending.

"Frig off, bud"

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.22.2015 | 12:01 AM ET

Yeah I noticed the insert of Hoffman into the background of the news reel. 

As for the ending I liked that it wasn't a happy everything is right with the world ending. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.22.2015 | 8:17 AM ET

(Spoilers below)

Actually, what I meant was how they showed his face after Coin was killed. It looked fake the background did not look right.

Page 54

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next