Tapology Forums

Mikey Tapology Boxing Corner!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,842  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,117
  • Post Score: 300

09.26.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

Alright folks, 

As you might know I'm Tapology Boxing editor. I know the majority of you guys are here for MMA, so was I originally. But for the last year or 2 there is a little more interest in Boxing on the site. 

So here's a place to talk boxing. 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Responses Page 8

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,261
  • Post Score: 136

10.07.2021 | 4:16 PM ET

She was not in control with the pugilists but seemed fine with former and now analysts.
Maybe she just likes wilder and a was bit unprofessional.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords

10.07.2021 | 5:37 PM ET

Don't call me a nerdy virgin.

I look like this on purpose and it costs a fortune.

Casual008
Casual008
  • Predictions:  4,535  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,865
  • Post Score: 259

10.07.2021 | 5:43 PM ET

Mikey outside of the Fury v Wilder fight is there any boxing matches your excited for that's coming up, any to look out for that might be going under the radar? 

* Edited at 10.07.2021, 5:45 PM ET *

"They're sorcerers they don't get knocked out"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.07.2021 | 6:28 PM ET

Casual, yes there is!  The Fury Wilder undercard has some great match ups. Actual well matched fights and not the usual squash matches you get in boxing!
The PPV main card is an all Heavyweight special.  21 year old 9-0 Jared Anderson faces a 22-0 Russian in a decent test. Anderson is widely regarded as the US next big hope for a Heavyweight Champion. He definitely has potential to be great.
The Co Main between 15-0 huge punching Nigerian Efe Ajagba vs 18-0 Cuban Team Canelo Frank Sanchez is a great match up between 2 undefeated prospects. Winner moves into the world top 10.
On that undercard Edgar Berlanga has a good opponent. A tough as nails Argentine! Will find out more about Berlanga because he is not going to be able to blast him out in a round. There is another Heavyweight prospect on the undercard Viktor Vykhryst, a big punching Ukrainian based in Germany (same guys who worked with the Klitschkos) who has many amateur credentials. He is a guy who could become a future contender. 
The best fight on that undercard for me is between 17-0 Puerto Rican Orlando Gonzalez vs Cuban Olympic Gold medalist Robiesy Ramirez. That's a great fight for an undercard!!!

In the UK there's 2 shows. The Matchroom show headlined by the Liverpool Derby Smith vs Fowler has a great undercard.  Ted Cheesman defends his British title vs undefeated puncher Troy Williamson. Ted is never in a dull fight. He's just been in a fight of the Year contender in February vs another guy on this undercard JJ Metcalf (son of Liverpool legend Shay Neery) Metcalf faces Keiron Conway in another 50/50 match up. I actually have Metcalf as 1 of my favourite underdog bets this weekend!
Another underdog I like on that card is US amateur stand out Jamie Mitchell who challenges Shannon Courtenay for her World Title. I don't rate Courteney much and I am definitely sticking a little bet on Mitchell, I got her at 3 to 1 but that price is shrinking as other people must be doing their research!!
The other UK card, Frank Warren show, has a great headline fight. European, Commonwealth and British titles all on the line between Brad Foster and Jason Cunningham is another 50/50 match up!

This weekend has a lot of great boxing. Lots of 50/50 match ups and prospects getting tested. Hopefully boxing continues on with this type of matchmaking 

FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,519  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,552
  • Post Score: 236

10.07.2021 | 6:54 PM ET

God I hope the Real Big Baby gets a thunderous KO against an undefeated Russian, he's so ******* awesome and his name is SO ******* STUPID I LOVE IT

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

HiDefff
HiDefff

10.07.2021 | 8:03 PM ET

Big Baby is our local hope. 
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.08.2021 | 4:15 AM ET

Some Perspective on Boxing in MMA and Boxing in Boxing.

This is what George Masvidal, who is considered a good Boxer by MMA standards, looks like on the bag next to Teofimo Lopez.

* Edited at 10.08.2021, 4:16 AM ET *

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,946
  • Post Score: 247

10.08.2021 | 4:26 AM ET

This was a wholesome watch.

"🌽⚽️"

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,142
  • Post Score: 333

10.08.2021 | 9:45 AM ET

@Cheeseball great video! I guess athletic commissions were different back then to allow a drunk in the crowd to fight the #1 Heavy weight boxer on the planet on 3 minute notice 😆

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.08.2021 | 2:30 PM ET

@Mikey mate well you're getting your wish. Just heard Whyte is mandatory for the winner of Wilder v Fury III.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords

10.08.2021 | 2:42 PM ET

Wow thats cool that stuff happens all the time in amatuers of contact sports but a world champ boxer.
You know they did not get insurance or any legal coverage madness.

HiDefff
HiDefff

10.08.2021 | 2:47 PM ET

The good old days, when the world was normal lol. 
Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.08.2021 | 2:52 PM ET

Whytes been no. 1 WBC Contender since 2018!!!
I don't take anything the WBC (or any sanctioning body) says seriously. I mean what if Wilder beats Fury in a fight of the Year by last round, come from behind stoppage? You think Whyte gets the next shot or we get a Fury Wilder 4???
Also, I'm not completely writing off Otto Wallin vs Whyte! A big awkward southpaw isn't exactly a great style match up for Dillian, a former Kickboxing brawler turned boxer!

I hope Dillian gets a shot at a World Title, god knows the man deserves it!  But I am not paying much attention to what the WBC and Don Sulieman have to say about anything! Ha

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,946
  • Post Score: 247

10.08.2021 | 2:55 PM ET

I can't believe there's a timeline where Otto Wallin is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Imagine if that happened.

"🌽⚽️"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.08.2021 | 3:11 PM ET

Tommy Morrison

So some people might not be aware of Tommy Morrison's story (the guy who beat up the drunk guy pulled from the crowd).

It's one of the strangest in all Boxing History. He was at one point a rising star HW, and even starred in a rocky film.

Morrison was banned from competing in professional Boxing (by Nevada state athletic commission et al) in 1996 because he had contracted HIV.  He was famously touted as the first ever pro Boxer to ever be diagnosed with HIV. He went downhill big time from that point and got mixed up with drugs, and died in 2013.

However, he denied he ever had HIV very adamantly. And in fact...there's very strong evidence he wasn't lying. His Autopsy showed no evidence that he was ever infected. He also took a total of three HIV tests which were also negative for the virus.

In July 2007, the New York Times reported that Tommy Morrison took two HIV tests in 2007 and a third specifically for the Times. HIV experts reviewed the three tests and concluded that the 1996 result had been a false positive.

“The mixed result in the Jan. 5 test makes it likely that the antibody result is a false positive,” according to Dr. Daniel R. Kuritzkes, a Harvard professor who directs AIDS research at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and is chairman of the board of the H.I.V. Medicine Association. “It’s hard to know for sure what’s going on, but I suspect he was never H.I.V.-infected.”

His wife also claimed he was not HIV positive, and is not HIV positive herself. But the truly weird part is that Nevada state athletic commission secretly lifted Morrison's indefinite suspension in 2006. In 2016 they denied ever suspending him according to court records, and now completely flat out deny a suspension based on a diagnosis of HIV was ever made.

It's a bit of a Boxing mystery.

* Edited at 10.08.2021, 3:13 PM ET *

sobuvalka
sobuvalka
  • Predictions:  384  |  85.7%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 238

10.08.2021 | 3:19 PM ET

Guys i got Fury and Dacres but i need one more to complete my parlay i'm looking at the fury vs wilder and smith vs fowler undercards but i don't know who to pick, i'm looking to pick kownacki but i'm really unsure what do you think, any suggestions?

"If you want to be strong learn how to fight alone"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords

10.08.2021 | 3:31 PM ET

Tommy Morrison was a heavyweight boxer best remembered for his acting role in Rocky V and the fact that he tested HIV-positive. He was often categorised as a "Great White Hope."

Morrison was the father of Trey Lippe Morrison and James Kenzie Witt-Morrison, brother of fellow heavyweight boxer Tim Morrison and claimed to be the nephew (some sources report great-nephew) of actor John Wayne, whose birth name was Marion Robert Morrison. However, in an interview, Wayne's son Patrick said, "I really don't know if he's related to us or not. But if he keeps winning, I'd have to say, sure, he's my dad's nephew."

At age 13, Morrison began forging ID papers to enter local Toughman competitions in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas. He said he won 20 fights and lost only one.

As an amateur boxer, Morrison won the Kansas City Golden Gloves and fought Ray Mercer at the 1988 Olympic Trials, losing by decision. Morrison claimed an amateur record of 222-20.

Early in his professional career, Morrison co-starred in the 1990 movie Rocky V, playing Rocky Balboa protege Tommy Gunn.

Morrison, with a record of 28-0, fought Ray Mercer for the WBO heavyweight title in October 1991. Morrison won the first three rounds, but he started to fade in the fourth and was brutally knocked out in the fifth.

After eight straight knockout wins, Morrison fought George Foreman for the vacant WBO heavyweight title in June 1993. Morrison outboxed Foreman and won by a twelve-round unanimous decision.

In a big upset, Morrison lost the title to Michael Bentt by a first-round knockout in October 1993.

In July 1994, Morrison was dropped twice by journeyman Ross Puritty and held to a ten-round draw.

Morrison fought Razor Ruddock for the IBC heavyweight title in June 1995. Morrison rose from a first-round knockdown to stop Ruddock in six rounds.

In October 1995, Morrison was stopped in six rounds by Lennox Lewis.

Morrison was scheduled to fight Arthur Weathers in Las Vegas in February 1996, but the fight was cancelled after Morrison tested HIV-positive. He retired from boxing but returned in November 1996, saying, "HIV cannot be spread in the ring." Morrison stopped Marcus Rhode in two rounds in Japan, where there were no rules prohibiting an HIV-positive boxer from fighting.

In 1996, Morrison was sentenced to six months in prison for drunk driving. He returned to prison in 2000 and served fourteen months on drug and weapons charges.

Morrison returned to boxing in 2007, saying he never had HIV. He said he was a victim of a false-positive test or a conspiracy by a rival promoter. Morrison also claimed that HIV was a conspiracy by the government.

Morrison received a boxing license in West Virginia after passing a series of medical tests in Arizona, the results of which were forwarded to West Virginia. In February 2007, Morrison knocked out John Castle in two rounds in Chester, West Virginia.

When Morrison applied for a license in Texas, he initially presented bloodwork that had been done in Arizona, the same paperwork that West Virginia used to grant him a boxing license. But because of Morrison's HIV history, Patrick Shaughnessy, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, said Texas asked him to do additional tests in an in-state lab familiar to the commission.

When the written results didn't arrive in the hours before Morrison's scheduled bout, the fight was cancelled. A few days later, Morrison withdrew his request for a license in Texas.

Asked if it was odd that Morrison would withdraw a license request that would be good for a year, Shaughnessy said, "It's unusual."

Randy Lang, Morrison's former agent, lodged accusations of possible blood tampering and fraud and said Morrison tested positive for HIV as late as January 2007.

In June 2007, Morrison made his MMA debut. Since the fight was being held at the Yavapai-Apache Nation reservation -- outside the Arizona State Boxing Commission's jurisdiction -- Morrison did not need a blood test. He stopped his opponent in the first round.

Morrison's last fight was a third-round knockout of Matt Weishaar in Mexico, where blood tests were not required.

Morrison attempted to fight in Montreal in February 2011, but refused the boxing commission's request to undergo testing at an approved Montreal institution with a member of the commission present. Morrison asked that the commission provide him with proof of positive test results for HIV from 1996 and invited the commission to send a doctor to a press conference with an unopened test that detects the presence of the HIV virus.

The Montreal fight was cancelled and Morrison said, “We’ll take the dog and pony show somewhere else.”

In August 2013, Morrison's mother told a senior writer with ESPN.com that her son had full-blown AIDS. "He's too far gone," she said. "He's in the end stages. That's it."

Tommy Morrison died on September 1, 2013 at a hospital in Omaha, Nebraska. According to his death certificate, he died from cardiac arrest stemming from a blood infection known as Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Septicemia, which is a common cause of morbidity and mortality in HIV-infected patients.

Boxrec had some details.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.08.2021 | 3:41 PM ET

@Josh that's the thing; it's a mystery. Either he did have HIV and was somehow blood tampering/dogying up future tests,  or he was scandalised. I have no idea what the motivations behind that would be.I'd totally forgotten he ever did MMA. It's pretty obvious he was avoiding tests, but he was also a junkie, so that could also explain that. Septicaemia and cardiac related deaths are also common with injectors too.

It's definitely an odd one.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

10.08.2021 | 3:44 PM ET

@mikey

I'm watching Boxing this weekend, I"m not  watching the **** UFC card this week or at least live. You sold me on it, Competive boxing fight, i'm in

"Quack quack quack"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.08.2021 | 3:46 PM ET

@ Duck Ditto.

If somebody set fire to the Rodriguez vs Dern card this weekend, it would burn a new hole in the ozone layer.

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit