Tapology Forums

Mikey Tapology Boxing Corner!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,835  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,117
  • Post Score: 300

09.26.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

Alright folks, 

As you might know I'm Tapology Boxing editor. I know the majority of you guys are here for MMA, so was I originally. But for the last year or 2 there is a little more interest in Boxing on the site. 

So here's a place to talk boxing. 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Responses Page 6

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

10.01.2021 | 1:49 AM ET

Why the **** is Callum Smith over Canelo in the Boxrec number 1 male list lol???

* Edited at 10.01.2021, 1:59 AM ET *

"🌽⚽️"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.01.2021 | 2:46 AM ET

BoxRec rankings

Cheeseball, I wouldn't look to BoxRec for rankings 
 They are generated by an algorithm /formula, I'm not really sure what criteria they use because, (as with Callum Smith being ahead of the guy who just dominated him!) it generates all kinds of wierd nonsense, they also have Callum no. 9 P4P! Naoya Inoue 25th!! And many other that are WAY off!
BoxRec ranks are OK as a general guide, they are most useful for regional rankings.

Like I mentioned before. For an accurate, unbiased top 10 in every division go to the https://tbrb.org/
Ring Magazine https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/
BadLeftHook https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/9/27/22695838/boxing-rankings-september-27-2021-oleksandr-usyk-top-pound-for-fighter-joshua-boxing-news-2021

By the way, Callum Smith is no1 in BoxRec at 175lbs. This is an example of the algorithm throwing up incorrect tanks.  Because Smith faced Canelo (even though he lost bad!) Smith has a higher score because Canelo has such a high score, it puts him ahead of Beterbiev and Bivol!!!! 

* Edited at 10.01.2021, 2:48 AM ET *

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.01.2021 | 3:30 AM ET

Stephen, you ****** wierdo!!!!  Never heard of Juergen Braehmer? You're a ****** wierdo and a casual!!!!  Go back to Boxing school!. 
Haha, seriously though bud. Juergen Braehmer was a decent boxer. Maybe even Germany best of this decade?  As fish pointed out he has some issues with the law, went to prison for 18 months in 2010 when he was 175lbs WBO World Champion! Got out and managed to regain another 175lbs World Title!! He then moved down to 168lbs and was in contention, he was part of the 2018 WBSS tournament, was due to face, eventual winner Callum Smith in the semi finals but withdrew for some illness. Then he just kinda fizzled out. I don't think he's back in jail?? 

But, yeah, the reason you've never heard of him, apart from being a ****** casual! Is he never fought outside of Germany and, even though he is a 2x World Champion he never fought any real big fights against the other Champions.  Boxing in Germany was in a boom period in the early 2000s until around 2015. Spearheaded by the Klitschko brothers, huge stadium shows and a group of other German/German based World Champions.  Sven Ottke, Arthur Abraham, Marco Huck, Felix Sturm and Braehmer.  
The thing is, while all World Champs, never left Germany (of they did they got whooped!) Basically win a WBO /WBA World Title and defend it in Germany against random mandatories or faded former Champs.  Sven Ottke is the best(worst) example of this. You've probably never heard of him but he retired an undefeated World Champion with over 20 defences!!!  All in Germany, never against the best in his division, including several shady decisions.  Sven Ottke the least regarded  undefeated World Champion with 20 defences ever!!!  
This is a model that German boxers /promoters followed. I get it, selling out stadium shows, World titles, big broadcast deals. German boxing was booming!  But because their guys never really stepped out of Germany or faced off with the very best of their divisions none of their top guys are highly regarded or remembered. 

Juergen Braehmer best wins are an almost 10 years past his best Enzo Maccarenelli, Robert Krasniqi who has been a top 15/20 guy and Rob Brant who was a short lived World Champion at 160lbs!

Sorry, I don't know if I've answered your question or even made much sense here???!!   So I'm going to shut up now! 

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.01.2021 | 5:00 AM ET

Legend!!!!!

True P4P all time, legendary, greatness!!!!! Eric Esch, King of the 4 Rounders.

Casual008
Casual008
  • Predictions:  4,535  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,865
  • Post Score: 259

10.01.2021 | 5:22 AM ET

Don't know if you guys saw this but Pacquiao has officially announced he's retired from the sport.

will probably never be another Boxing great as decorated as Pacquiao was, 

• First & only Champion in 8 weight classes
• First & only Lineal Champion in 5 classes 
• 1 of 3 Champions to win titles in 4 of the original weight classes 
• Defeated the most Champions in boxing History(22) 
• Set the record for fighting the most Champions in boxing history(30)
• Won his first Championship belt at 19 and has since had a belt in his 20s, 30s, and finally 40s. 
• Oldest Welterweight Champion 

He's been a stable of boxing for so long it's going to be weird to see him not in discussion much anymore. God bless Manny, he's had an unmatched career. 

"They're sorcerers they don't get knocked out"

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,136
  • Post Score: 333

10.01.2021 | 9:44 AM ET

Loved that butterbean video. Forgot he had that real fight in WWE and smoked that guy in seconds. 

I wonder if wwe had to work with a commission or everyone just said it was a "work" then they actually fought 😆

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,256
  • Post Score: 136

10.01.2021 | 1:43 PM ET

Pacman was the man in smaller weight classes some glorious, bloody, beautiful wars! 

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.01.2021 | 3:12 PM ET

@Mikey did you ever see that ******* skit where Johnny Knoxville fought Butterbean in a

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.01.2021 | 3:31 PM ET

Haha, yeah bud I did. Knocked him out cold! 

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

10.01.2021 | 4:00 PM ET

There has yet to be a downvote given on this thread.

* Edited at 10.01.2021, 4:01 PM ET *

"🌽⚽️"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.01.2021 | 4:15 PM ET

You had to know saying that would get at least 1 down vote didn't you mate! Ha 

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,542
  • Post Score: 262

10.01.2021 | 4:16 PM ET

Sorry. I had to do it Cheeseball.My ****posting tendacys, But I still love you mate

"Quack quack quack"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,542
  • Post Score: 262

10.01.2021 | 4:35 PM ET

Mikey when we finally start talking about boxing

* Edited at 10.01.2021, 4:35 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

10.01.2021 | 4:43 PM ET

No problem I had it coming 😂😂😂.

"🌽⚽️"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,311
  • Post Score: 285

10.01.2021 | 7:01 PM ET

@Mikey1903

Thanks for the info! Basically he was good but was never properly tested at world level and also had a lot of personal problems. I'll definitely check out some of his fights!

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.03.2021 | 1:13 PM ET

Knockouts

Here's Knockout Zone new video for August. All the best KO's from shows all around the world.  Some gems in here and there's usually some funny **** you only see on low level regional shows! (haven't watched it

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

10.03.2021 | 1:21 PM ET

**** weekend, but it gets better!!!!

Yeah, so this weekend past was pretty **** for boxing! Was actually a **** weekend in general in the combat sports world with UFC and Bellator providing maybe their worst shows of the year.
Anyway, onto the next!!! This weekend is going to be a cracker (hopefully I haven't just jinxed it!). Obviously there's the BIG Heavyweight trilogy Grudge match between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder. I'll maybe write a little something about that later in the week. That undercard as actually really interesting. It features 4 or 5 actual close match ups where you have to actually think about the winner. Very unlike boxing!!! So I am looking forward to that.
There is also a similarly well matched Matchroom UK card from Liverpool that features a Liverpool Derby that anyone can win between Liam Smith and Anthony Fowler . I will also be writing something about that fight later in the week. The co main looks a cracker too. Ted Cheeseman is never in a bad fight(just look at his face, that's a man who gets punched for a living!) and he faces an undefeated, puncher in Troy Williamson for the British title. There's also a couple of other 50/50 type fights, again this is not like boxing. That's why I'm mentioning it. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. Boxing gets away from this only undefeated is good ********.

There are a couple of other decent fights around the world. So yeah, should be a good week for boxing! 

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

10.03.2021 | 2:07 PM ET

Its going to be weird having to turn my brain on while doing the boxing picks but exciting as well.

"🌽⚽️"

Casual008
Casual008
  • Predictions:  4,535  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,865
  • Post Score: 259

10.03.2021 | 3:03 PM ET

I'm sure Mikey knows this but for anyone not in the know Deontay Wilder's new coach, the one he got after accusing his longtime coach and cornermen of drugging him to rig the fight, was a former boxer himself who actually fought Wilder. The fight itself was highly controversial as many people believe Malik Scott, now Wilder's coach, took a dive. Malik's been accused of diving in other fights as well but none so high profile as this one

* Edited at 10.03.2021, 3:04 PM ET *

"They're sorcerers they don't get knocked out"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.03.2021 | 6:13 PM ET

A few preliminary thoughts on Wilder vs Fury III.

I just rewatched the second fight and a few things stood out to me.

A)Firstly, Wilder didn't land a single punch that had any impact the entire fight. Not one. Fury did get marked up, but there's a difference between leather burn and impact trauma. Let me explain what I mean:

Let's say somebody hits you in the face with a roll of carpet. It weighs 25kg, and it lands flush with full surface contact and the weight is evenly distributed on impact. That's going to really **** you up. Your brain is going to do the macarena, and you may get KO'ed.

However, if someone whips you across the face with a strip of carpet, while it's going to sting, it's not going to have nearly the same effect. What it will do in all probability is leave an uglier mark than the roll. That's kind of what happened when Wilder was landing. He was throwing the big right but Fury had it measured, and if it did land, it had no heat in it. Post fight Fury had the boxing equivalent of carpet burn. He was not lumped at all. There was no swelling.

And on that note, this is a massive hole in Wilder's game. Potential without actualisation is meaningless. That huge KO power he carries requires very specific conditions if it is going to be expressed, and Wilder lacks the technical boxing, and footwork, to force the moment. He doesn't lead his opponents into it. He just waits for them to make a mistake, or for an opportunity to sling it. And if they don't, or have its number, he is going to lose.

B) This next will be more competitive because Wilder's eardrum got burst early. It's next to impossible to recover from an injury like that in a fight regardless of who you are. If you've ever been seasick or motion sick, imagine a significantly worse version of that experience. Vertigo, nausea, severe mobility and balance disorientation. He was done the moment that happened.

C) I'm beating a dead horse here, but Wilder's inability to throw anything off the back foot is staggering and I cannot understand it. Even Conor Mcgregor can throw a back-foot counter straight, yet Wilder cannot. The significance of how much more dangerous the ability to throw a massive straight counter back foot right would  make him cannot be overstated There's no way his trainers cannot know this, which leads me to believe he kind of just....can't learn to do it. Physically, he's built to throw it too. Long ass lanky legs, fights out of a very broad stance. He wouldn't even have to move that much or at all TBH. All he'd need to do is  use that crazy fast-twitch he has to step backwards off his lead leg ( which sticks out halfway across the squared circle) and draw on his backwards momentum and he'd be throwing that Alabama hammer with power very much resembling the same punch he throws stepping forward. I mean seriously, Deontay, you're a professional boxer. Drill it 4 hours a day if you need to. But make it happen.

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’