Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Makhachev vs. Moisés

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,154
  • Post Score: 47

03.24.2021 | 4:35 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 07.17.2021 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Makhachev vs. Moisés
  • Also Known As: UFC on ESPN 26
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Paul Felder
  • TV Ratings: 867,000 avg. viewers (1.2M peak, 558k ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 10
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Thiago Moisés   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:38 Round 4 of 5, 17:38 Total Bout Page
Miesha Tate   defeats   Marion Reneau   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   1:53 Round 3 of 3, 11:53 Total Bout Page
Mateusz Gamrot   defeats   Jeremy Stephens   via Submission, Kimura   1:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Rodolfo Vieira   defeats   Dustin Stoltzfus   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:54 Round 3 of 3, 11:54 Total Bout Page
Billy Quarantillo   defeats   Gabriel Benítez   via KO/TKO, Punches From Back Control   3:40 Round 3 of 3, 13:40 Total Bout Page
Daniel Rodriguez   defeats   Preston Parsons   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:47 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Amanda Lemos   defeats   Montserrat Conejo Ruiz   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   0:35 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Sergey Morozov   defeats   Khalid Taha   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Malcolm Gordon   defeats   Francisco Figueiredo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rodrigo Nascimento   vs.   Alan Baudot   Ends in a No Contest, Punches (standing TKO)   1:29 Round 2 of 3, 6:29 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 50

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,791
  • Post Score: 180

07.18.2021 | 10:38 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 0 Perfect, 445 Points   |   Tied for 1882nd

Not a fan of showcase and/or non-competitive fights. Felt like I was watching Bellator last night.

Islam's 29; quit giving him softballs. NOT RDA. Either Gillespie or tell Dariush it's for the next title shot after Dustin. 

I agree with MikeLovesTacos about Gamrot possibly being better than Islam. LW is becoming filled with prospects w/ high level wrestling so let's avoid the WW pitfall and make sure they're fighting opponents with good wrestling so we don't have l'n'p or dry humping sessions. 

C'mon DC! Where's your details episode delving into how to avoid and/or recover from standing back control?

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Spudgreg
Spudgreg
  • Predictions:  2,453  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,728
  • Post Score: 189

07.18.2021 | 11:01 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 1473rd

I was just going with the old meta of streak vs streak. The ufc aren’t high on dariush and makachev is the only guy on a similar streak, hooker vs Ferguson as both are on losing streaks but I’d also like to see Ferguson vs dos anjos 2 because the first one was a very good fight and I want to see which one has really fallen off. Equally happy with rda vs Chandler but apparently Chandler(mr say yes) turned that down. 

I don’t like the way the ufc has gone. It may have led to some good matchups for now but rewarding fighters for sitting out is causing weaker fight night cards and weaker prelims and main cards if you remove the main event because there is so much inactivity from ranked fighters
Yair getting the holloway matchup instead of making him fight barbosa. We will never get another chance for that fight imo.
Masvidal and Colby getting title shots has caused other fighters at 170 to not want to take a fight because they think they could be next if they just sit there
Nobody is risking their spot at lightweight either. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next relevant fight we got at lightweight was Charles vs Dustin because the others keep their rank while inactive
stewgots
stewgots
  • Predictions:  1,993  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  168
  • Post Score: 193

07.18.2021 | 12:40 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2806th

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

07.18.2021 | 3:42 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 585 Points   |   Tied for 114th

"****."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

07.18.2021 | 3:59 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 1226th

A ******* kimura, Stephens? Come on man, it's 2021. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

MattyViceGrip
MattyViceGrip
  • Predictions:  8,170  |  72.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,037
  • Post Score: 236

07.18.2021 | 6:15 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 2627th

* Edited at 07.18.2021, 6:15 PM ET *

"Pound for Pound! Headshot, dead!"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,779  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,560
  • Post Score: 262

07.19.2021 | 4:11 AM ET

Thoughts on the main card

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1100th

I think it hard to say if Machechev is overated, Dude did **** up Moise. dude turn Moise into a wresler because he was landing hard shot, And he just dominated him when it got to the ground, I thought then 2nd and or 3rd were 10-8, It was a real frustrating fight watching Moise do everything wrong, It was like he wanted to losses, I'm surprise no conspiracy theorist claim he threw the fight because it really look like he did. But now everyone want to see Islam fight a top 5 guy, Give him one and see if his the next "Khabib" or not. I'll be pissed if they give him another guy who shouldn't of been ranked, But ranked for some reason fight

Miesha Tate look really good out their off a 5 year layoff, Wouldn't mind seeing her fight anyone, I think she will get smocked by the top 5, She hasn't been training for 5 year and WMMA evolve like crazy. Also it easy to look good against 44 years old,

Gamrot look really good, The ankle takedown, Then do the Gsp Hughes 1 Kimura counter  into Kimura instead of a armbar that Hughs did. Really exited to see Gamrot next fight. I think Stephens is shot now, And I think beating young guys is way more impresive then smashing old guy as smashing old guys tell you nothing really. But hey I would tune in to his next fight to see if he legit or not, Dude probley get a top 15-20 guy next to test him

Rodolfo Viera shocked me, Dude jab look great and to go from gassing bad in 3 minute, to going hard early in the 3rd round was impresive. And damn his back take was nice. Dude just leap to his back and the choke was tight. I think the most impresive thing for me is to beat someone in your weakness because it shows a more versitlile game and for Viera to jab him up for 2 round

**** fighting Billy Q, Dude look like scary in there, I find the rare fighter who are relentless and actually throw shot that look like it hurts to be the scariest, A lot of fighter answer to volume is just throw ******** that look like it doesn't hurt. all of Billy shot look painful and dude floored him early in the round and had good back control grappling, Dude shock me, I thought Benitez was gonna smock him and I'm glad to be wrong, Alway a big fan of Billy Q. Both of the round had to be 10-8 ,if you can get 10-8 for napping on people these day,

"Quack quack quack"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,372  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.20.2021 | 4:59 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 0 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 2689th

Makhachev is now ranked #5 at LW. 

Lmao. Just ridiculous. Because he beat Thiago Moises? Nah. It's because he's friends with Khabib and literally nothing more. He is talented, but not Top 5 talented. Arguably not even Top 10 talented imho. 

Meanwhile, Mateusz Gamrot isn't even ranked in the Top 15 despite the fact he would beat Islam up. 

OK.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

KyleH
KyleH
  • Predictions:  10,224  |  71.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,530
  • Post Score: 196

07.20.2021 | 8:18 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 1011th

Why would Gamrot be ranked? He lost to Guram and Guram isn’t ranked.

"There's 3 things in life that excite me. A woman, of course. Dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon" - GSP

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

07.21.2021 | 2:08 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 585 Points   |   Tied for 114th

The lost was arguable, plus Gamrot won 2 fights after they fought, Guram won 0

* Edited at 07.21.2021, 3:32 AM ET *

"****."

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,779  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,560
  • Post Score: 262

07.21.2021 | 4:40 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1100th

I just say this, all MMA rankings are ****, but UFC ones is the worst as it all about hype, who they like more and name value and not who’s the best. As for example, Cody is a top 5 fighter still, dude is 1-4 since 2016, Conor is ranked in the top ten with also a 1-4 ranking since 2016. And use this week example, Islam shouldn’t of went from 9 to 5 with a fight with a unranked guy, It just don’t make sense. The last thing I say about the ranking is beating shot old fighter bump your ran so high, but beating the talented young fighters don’t mean ****, as one your ranked it hard to drop

"Quack quack quack"

HiDefff
HiDefff

07.21.2021 | 4:47 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 560 Points   |   Tied for 258th

The Rankings are there to get people to talk about them. Which they thoroughly succeed at every time they are updated. They don't mean **** to the match makers.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,372  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.21.2021 | 11:28 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 0 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 2689th

"Why should (A) be ranked when he couldn't even beat (B) who isn't ranked." 

That is such a **** take. For multiple reasons. 

The fight was split decision, and a great 15-minute fight. I've watched it numerous times and I've maintained every time that was Gamrot's fight. But regardless of that, Guram Kutateladze isn't some scrub. He's won 9-straight. If you ask anybody who follows and knows their elite-level prospects, Guram is 100% a Top 6-8 prospect within the UFC right now in terms of pure skill. Losing a tight split decision to him doesn't mean you shouldn't be ranked. 

****, Guram himself should probably be ranked if we're talking skill-for-skill. LW 10 through 15 is Gillespie, Lee, Ferreira, Riddell, Tsarukyan, and Moises. Dude is very clearly better than Ferreira, Riddell, and Moises. At least. 

I don't look at rankings the same way these goofs do. I look at the fighters skill-for-skill, that's it. And if Islam ******* Makhachev is the #5 LW in the world, there is no argument in existence that someone arguably more talented in Gamrot isn't a Top 15.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

07.22.2021 | 10:27 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 137th

I think you're selling Ferreira a bit short there, but otherwise I agree. Actually, seeing his name makes me think Ferreira would actually be an ideal next opponent for Gamrot. But, yeah the rankings are general trash and not about skill at all.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

mickey420
mickey420
  • Predictions:  3,512  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  724
  • Post Score: 337

07.22.2021 | 6:34 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 0 Perfect, 460 Points   |   Tied for 1680th

ive been a pretty big gamrot fan ever since he beat kleber koike but theres literally nothing that indicates that he would beat islam makhachev lol.

as in if they were scheduled to fight - islam would be the rightful heavy favorite to win and it has nothing to do with the hype from khabib comparisons

i understand that it's cool & fun to be contrarian but it kinda just makes you sound like a goofball arguing that gamrot would beat islam. i personally wouldn't even expect gamrot to beat arman tsarukyan 

gamrot probably is a top 10-15 lightweight though in spite of me dedicating this entire post to speaking about people who would probably beat him

Page 50

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Outsmarts Steve Erceg To Razor-Close Decision, Retains Title – UFC 301 Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Alexandre Pantoja's title defense over Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC 301 Post-Fight Presser Here
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Canelo carried him the whole fight’: Bud Crawford and more pros react to Canelo vs Munguia
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Canelo Hands Munguia First Career Knockdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo drops Jaime Munguia, wins clear decision to retain titles: Highlights
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Dominates For Decisive Title Defense
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘No words for how impressive that was’: Pros react to Jose Aldo’s vintage win at UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Highlights and results: The Best and Wildest from Redneck Brawl 6
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Jose Aldo sharp in return from retirement, outpoints Jonathan Martinez for decisive victory
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 results: Jose Aldo hints at another title run after lopsided win over Jonathan Martinez
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Jose Aldo's victory over Jonathan Martinez in final contract bout at UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Vintage Jose Aldo Unleashes Striking Clinic On Jonathan Martinez, Wins Decision – UFC 301 Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 live blog: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hasn’t Lost A Step, Topples Ranked Martinez In Rio
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! ‘Lionheart’ Delivers Huge Upset Submission In Brazil