Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 12

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

11.28.2014 | 6:45 PM ET

It's finally here!

5 seconds into the trailer I lost it, I immediately remembered the similar scene in Spaceballs

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.28.2014 | 10:38 PM ET

I'm surrounded by *******s.

"Frig off, bud"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

11.30.2014 | 4:18 PM ET

For those keeping track on what each of the gem are from the MCU.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

11.30.2014 | 7:00 PM ET

I can't wait to watch the new Star Wars Movie, the Light saber is so good with the little lightning details, and DAT HD Millennium Falcon. mmmm.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.30.2014 | 7:13 PM ET

This post on Reddit perfectly sums up my thoughts before and after seeing the new trailer. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

11.30.2014 | 8:23 PM ET

RLM does it right.

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

12.01.2014 | 12:18 AM ET

Been watching some found footage movies lately. I feel like if Hollywood really wants to frighten the audience found footage may be the best way to go.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

12.01.2014 | 12:34 AM ET

First (to my knowledge) and most graphic found footage film =
Holocaust

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson

12.01.2014 | 12:36 AM ET

I would watch it and did a little research... Call me a *****, but I didn't like the idea of them slaughtering animals for the sake of the film. To this day, I have not seen it for that reason. Not for the graphic detail, but because it seems so cruel and thoughtless.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.01.2014 | 1:38 AM ET

In general I dislike found footage films. You don't wind up with much of anything really scary just a lot of shakey camera work and long shots of peoples feet or the ground. So often a lot of the action happens off  screen... Some argue Oh but what you can imagine is far scarier or fantastical than anything I could put on screen... well **** you if I wanted to use my imagination I would read a book or make the damn movie myself. Once in a great while you may get a good one but a dozen bad ones come out for every good one. Overall I find the technique to be more gimmicky than anything and has been used to death across a lot of genres. They are always finding contrived ways to make sure a character has a camera at all times.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson

12.01.2014 | 1:43 AM ET

Yeah I can understand that. I don't know, I guess I just like ambiance and atmospherics and such, which is why I like Willow Creek and Blair Witch Project. Another one I like is Grave Encounters. It just feels to me that found footage brings it a little closer to reality. Maybe that's just me. But no, I can see why you would have that opinion and I think you brought up some good points. :)

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

12.01.2014 | 1:55 AM ET

Vampire Hunter Blood D.....say what. I love anime.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson

12.01.2014 | 1:58 AM ET

I own Vampire Hunter D and VHD: Bloodlust. Both are excellent.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

12.01.2014 | 2:07 AM ET

I've watched many anime movies and series my man. It's part of my genesis. A lot of gems people haven't even heard of though when it comes to anime Movies.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.01.2014 | 2:26 AM ET

I went on a found footage film kick a while back. I tend to enjoy them even if they're total **** for some reason. As Above So Below was nowhere near as good as I hyped it up to be in my mind, but it's still worth an hour and a half of time. Some other ones that I would recommend:

Man Bites Dog (10/10 must watch cult classic)

Zero Day (8/10 highly recommended and seems to be a dramatization on the lives of the Columbine Shooters)

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (10/10 super creepy/disturbing must watch)

Long Pigs (7/10 extremely low budget, but feels extremely real, and is quite unsettling.)

REC (and sequels, 10/10 on original, 2 and 3 get 7/10)

Apollo 18 (7/10 the space element adds a little bit more of an isolated feeling, kinda creepy)

The Devil Inside (8/10 has some extremely ****** up parts, and a decent plot)

V/H/S (10/10 for creativity. V/H/S 2 (8/10) is also worth watching. The third is **** as Taco Mike pointed out in another thread)

End of Watch (10/10 not a horror movie, but hardcore intense, and funny, just an awesome crime drama shot found footage style. Possibly the best movie on the list, by that I mean it can stand alone without having the found footage gimmick behind it to give it appeal. Seriously, amazing movie.)

The Bay (8/10 I'm a fan of anything about parasites or viruses. Pretty nasty stuff.)

Devil's Pass (7/10 based on true events, but their take on what transpired gets way outlandish. Still worth a watch, especially if you're familiar with or interested by the inspiration for the film which is The Dyatlov's Pass Incident, to me one of the greatest unsolved mysteries ever.)

The Sacrament (10/10 This movie would make Jim Jones proud. Makes you realize exactly how ****** up Jonestown was, as if realization was needed.)

Afflicted (10/10 one of the most creative found footage films I've seen. They do a lot with a few stale genres in this movie and I likey)

As mentioned above by BlackMetal, Grave Encounters and the sequel are both pretty damn good watches too.

Oh, and Cloverfield ******* sucks IMO. ****'s filmed in a way that causes motion sickness, has zero plot, does not build any kind of relationship between the characters and the audience, the dialogue is pure ****. Honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It literally made me sick to my stomach to watch (probably due to the motion sickness **** but wouldn't surprise me if the movie itself played a large part)

Edited to add: Though it was indeed the first of the genre, Cannibal Holocaust is an abomination of a movie. It's painfully boring, and yes, them killing the turtle was pretty ******. Terrible movie. It's probably been a decade since I've seen it, but I have zero desire to refresh my memory on it. I don't find primitive tribes of people to be frightening, even if do turn out to be cannibals. 

* Edited at 12.01.2014, 2:32 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.01.2014 | 6:58 AM ET

I just watched probably the most legitimately scary horror movie I've ever seen. 

I'd never heard of it, but I googled 2014 horror movies and saw where it received a 97% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I agree with that rating after watching it. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

12.01.2014 | 2:24 PM ET

I tried to watch The Babadook. I just wanted to strangle that kid.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.01.2014 | 5:49 PM ET

Having gone into Interstellar with lowered expectations, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved it. Maybe not on the level of Inception on the whole, but parts of it blow anything else I've seen away. 

I see a lot of complaints about the third act of the film, but I think you can either accept something like that or not. Interestingly, a lot of the scientific tenets on display in the final third of the movie are actually possible and theorized by leading physicists. 

Anyway, acting was superb, imagery was incredible, sound was insane and ending left me thinking. A solid 8 to 8.5/10 on a first viewing to me. 

Personal favorite scene was the docking sequence over the ice planet. Gripping stuff.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

12.01.2014 | 7:45 PM ET

Grad you enjoyed it Skelli. 

"Frig off, bud"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.01.2014 | 8:33 PM ET

@Frontkick, definitely man, the kid is annoying, but if you can get past his tantrums it becomes a mind ****.

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski calls Jose Aldo featherweight GOAT ahead of UFC 301: 'He's how a champion should be'
  • MMA Mania : ‘12 Gauge’ Unloads On ‘Piece Of S—t’ Danis After Alleged Affair Claims
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey writing script for her own Netflix biopic, no longer expected to star in film
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya ‘definitely going to sue’ Canelo Alvarez for defamation after explosive claims
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 4: Jose Aldo, Alexandre Pantoja hang with soccer legend
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith insists there's no personal beef with UFC champ Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : ‘Beast’ Mode! Khamzat Now Training With ‘MVP’