Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

Who won, GSP or Hendricks?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

UP vote me if you scored it for St Pierre.

DOWN vote me if you scored it for Hendricks.

Let's see the tally, folks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses Page 6

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.17.2013 | 8:31 PM ET

I thought Hendricks lost to Condit while the Pierce, Koscheck and Grant fights could of really went either way. Regardless though, Karma has nothing to do with this isolated situation and Hendricks clearly should of won that fight and is being denied the rematch he deserves.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.17.2013 | 8:35 PM ET

@Nomad: He's not being denied anything. I'm sure they'll get GSP back in there. Dana and Lorenzo have a way with words. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

11.17.2013 | 8:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

I thought Hendricks lost to Condit too @nomad. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

skelliher
skelliher

11.17.2013 | 8:39 PM ET

I actually think in some ways (not all) that Condit/Hendricks was similar to GSP/Hendricks in that I scored both fights for one fighter while thinking the other really won the fight ala Pride judging. I scored Condit/Hendricks for Hendricks, but Condit clearly won the fight as a whole. I scored last night's 48-47 for GSP, but overall Hendricks won the fight.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.17.2013 | 8:41 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

It's kinda hard to lose a fight when you have 12 takedowns, had the fight been five rounds I believe Condit would have knocked him out. Hendricks was fading hard in the third.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 17 hours, and 50 minutes from now.
Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.17.2013 | 8:43 PM ET

12 takedowns with which Condit was down for maybe 2 minutes in total.  getting a takedown does not guarantee you anything unless you can do something with it.

Guida took Pettis down at will, but it wasn't necessarily the brightest game plan because he was constantly defending submission attempts from Pettis and not really imposing any offensive attack at all.

Condit inflicted more damage in that fight than Hendricks did.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.17.2013 | 8:45 PM ET

Dana White is known for saying, "THe fights just got over I don't want to discuss what can happen just yet" until last night when he had a coronary over everything.  He should have taken a Xanax before the presser because the way he referenced his champion was DISGUSTING.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

skelliher
skelliher

11.17.2013 | 9:19 PM ET

Completely agree with that, Lopati. 

Dana reached an all-time low in terms of disparaging a guy he was praising as the all-time class act in UFC history because he won a close and controversial decision then hinted at retirement. 

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.17.2013 | 9:30 PM ET

I don't see GSP fighting another fight, he's been making upwards of 15million if not more a year for he last three or four...I don't even take GSP as a greedy, attention ***** who can't refuse such things like a lot of famous athletes are either. GSP has looked steadily worse and it's finally caught up with him, he knows it, his hearts not in it and his body is coming out of it's prime. 

I hope I'm wrong sort of, I don't want GSP to come back and get smashed then re-retire either. It's a nasty situation in my eyes.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

11.17.2013 | 9:54 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Round 1 was extremely close. If you go by Fight Metric's numbers. Hendricks should have won 48-47... but he would have only taken Round 1 by 1 punch.

After seeing the Fight Metric numbers.. it's easier to see this fight as a toss up. Hendricks just did a lot more damage with his strikes as seen on each fighter's face at the end of the fight.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4441

* Edited at 11.17.2013, 9:55 PM ET *

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

11.17.2013 | 10:26 PM ET

As many people know, I'm not the biggest GSP fan. With that said, and I've said this over and over again. When you fight for the Championship of the World of any combative sport, you have to DECISIVELY BEAT the reigning, defending, undisputed champion. Hendricks DID NOT decisively beat GSP. The fightmetric numbers were close, the rounds were close, and basically the entire fight was very close.

In a close fight the nod usually goes the way of the champion. Round 1 was extremely close. St. Pierre was getting the better in the first part of the round with the early takedown and inside clinch work, but Hendricks was starting to get the better towards the end in the stand-up and in the clinch. Depending on how these judges actually score a round, (some actually score the entire round, while others only pay attention to the last 30 seconds), this is a round that could've really gone either way. Hendricks landed the more damaging blows, (obviously), but St. Pierre was controlling where the fight took place for the majority of the round. Because St. Pierre is the champion, some would have to give it to St. Pierre.

Round 2 was definitely Hendricks' round. There is no question on that one there. Round 3 was clearly GSP. Round 4 could've also been a toss up, (depending on the judge and scoring), but I felt that Hendricks actually did more scoring and damage. Round 5 was the deciding round. Whoever won this round, would win the fight, and St. Pierre won the round. By my scorecard, I could've seen the fight either way 48-47 for either fighter. Rounds 1 & 4 were close enough to make it that score. In some cases, a judge would've scored this fight 48-48, and that would've been the proper decision right there IMO, but that's not the world we live in. No matter which way you score it, Hendricks did not decisively beat GSP, so GSP retains his title. Whether it's seen as a draw, razor thin decision for GSP, GSP still retains his title.

Obviously, Hendricks did the more visible damage, but if that were the case in winning decisions for fighters, then BJ Penn beat GSP the first time they fought, Karo Parysian beat Diego Sanchez when they fought, Nick Diaz beat Carlos Condit, Condit beat Hendricks, Gray Maynard beat Frankie Edgar in the 2nd fight, and Forrest Griffin beat Tito in the first and second fight (I know Forrest did win the 2nd fight, but stay with me here), but Tito beat Forrest Griffin in the 3rd fight. The point of all this is, that's what happens with close decisions. That's why it's called a SPLIT decision. Not everyone agrees on the winner.

Any way you slice it, whether Hendricks would've become the new UFC WW Champion or not, there still would've been controversy surrounding the decision because it was such a close fight, and I'm sure we'll get to see an immediate rematch. I know that GSP said he's taking some time off, but all that means is that he's taking time off.............................NOT RETIRING. So either Dana can make and interim match for Hendricks against either Robbie Lawler or Carlos Condit, or he could wait to see how long GSP plans to stay out, and have GSP and Hendricks be coaches on TUF, and we get the rematch that we all want to see to end all the arguments.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.17.2013 | 10:34 PM ET

"That's why it's called a SPLIT decision. Not everyone agrees on the winner."

Precisely.

48-47 GSP. Recognize.

"الله أكبرl"

skelliher
skelliher

11.17.2013 | 10:39 PM ET

I recall similar outrage after the 2006 battle between GSP and Penn. 

This will die down by the time they fight again. And if GSP wins the rematch clearly, nobody will even bring it up. 

The way I see it, these two basically aren't done fighting. They're just taking a 4-6 month break between the fifth and sixth round.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.17.2013 | 11:08 PM ET

The first time GSP abandons safety and fights all out and no one freakin' brings that up.  I could have told you that he wouldn't get any credit.  Proving safety wasn't an issue.  Only a made-up excuse for those who didn't like him to have something to ***** about.  When a fighter has no *****s in their armor, you make them up!

This was GSP's greatest victory, most impressive win, considering the quality of the opponent.

Hendricks proved to be the worst crybaby on record.  Declaring himself the new WW champion made him the year's worse, ignorant *******.  Dana White was a close second in terms of despicable whining crybaby ********.  After all GSP has done for the company, making him (White) rich.

All the other headlines concerning this event and this fight were infinitely more moderate, more restrained and less ignorant.  Simply called the fight controversial.  

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=&as_epq=Georges+St.+Pierre+wins&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

* Edited at 11.17.2013, 11:10 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

skelliher
skelliher

11.17.2013 | 11:10 PM ET

@Bill you're so far off the mark it's a wonder anyone has even responded to you on this topic. I agree with you that it was an impressive win considering the circumstances, but it wasn't without controversy. It was a close Split, just like the first fight with Penn, but even closer. Don't insult ppl for thinking GSP lost. I agree with the sentiments about White, but to suggest GSP made him rich is ridiculous.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.17.2013 | 11:16 PM ET

@skelliher  What are you talking about?  It was controversial and I didn't suggest it wasn't.

And GSP has made the UFC rich.  More so than any other fighter.  

You cannot isolate a sentence where I criticized anyone for thinking Hendricks won.  I did take Hendricks to task for declaring himself the new WW Champion.

Would you have condoned Gustafsson for declaring himself the new LHW champion?

So where am I wrong according to you?

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

IronTusk
IronTusk
  • Predictions:  7,045  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  109
  • Post Score: 190

11.17.2013 | 11:18 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

This thread is like one of those AT&T commercials with the kids.

"Peace is within not without"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.17.2013 | 11:22 PM ET

GSP abandoned fighting safely because he couldn't take Hendricks down at will. He had multiple takedown attempts stuffed.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 17 hours, and 50 minutes from now.
skelliher
skelliher

11.17.2013 | 11:26 PM ET

I don't necessarily think Hendricks is an "ignorant *******" for feeling like he's the true champion. Even though I agree with the GSP decision win. 

Anyways, I have this weird feeling that the rematch is going to go down in April with a quick, five-month turnaround. But I could be way off the mark and it could be as late as July or August, if it happens at all.

Time will tell. 

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.17.2013 | 11:29 PM ET

If you lose a split decision you should probably have the confidence to think you won. If you lose a split decision and agree with it, it probably should have been unanimous.

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Borralho Vs. Craig Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : Inspirational Pereira ‘Not Worried’ About Legacy Talk
  • MMA Mania : White ‘Probably A Little Mad’ About McGregor BKFC Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Jairzinho Rozenstruik plans to reconnect with ‘my real power source’ in Suriname, return against a top heavyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida