Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

Who won, GSP or Hendricks?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

UP vote me if you scored it for St Pierre.

DOWN vote me if you scored it for Hendricks.

Let's see the tally, folks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses Page 7

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.18.2013 | 12:43 AM ET

To think you won is fine and traditional.  No problem.  To verbally declare yourself the true champion is not.  To win a title, you must convince the judges.  

You notice that he only did it when GSP wasn't in the room?  To declare yourself the 'true champion' verbally is beyond disrespectful.  It is ignorant.  And that level of ignorance rises to the level of '*******'. 

There are unspoken rules of respect.  

@CT  My hero!  We disagree on safe fighting.  He truly abandoned safe fighting.  True he couldn't take Hendricks down but that is beside the point.  He still had the option of fighting safe.  He could have *****ed out and gotten on his bicycle and fought from the outside. 

But he was too much a man to ***** out.  He stayed IN THE POCKET, in mortal danger, and fought tooth and nail and probably suffered concussions!  Yet, he stayed in the pocket, and traded with a killer striker.  

He absolutely refused to kick and run, use guerilla warfare, hit and run, dodge and weave, in and out.  He didn't fight like Condit fought Diaz or Edgar fought Penn.

GSP accepted the challenge and stayed in close, in harm's way, and traded and exchanged with a guy with bombs for hands.  

So, your analysis that he 'only' abandoned safe fighting is incorrect.  We disagree as close friends and allies.  I will upvote you forever.  Pleasure to spar with you, CT.  Keep up the great work!

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.18.2013 | 12:51 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

He said "That belt is mine" while talking to Rogan with GSP like 5 feet away still in the same cage. I don't think there's any fear there. I agree with you about him staying in the pocket and taking some big shots, one thing I took away from last night that not a lot of people are mentioning is the chin of GSP. Dude has taken some big ******' shots over his career and the only one that stopped him was somehow still Serra punches. That headkick from Condit and those bombs from Hendricks last night stop a lot of other WWs but not GSP. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 22 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.18.2013 | 1:00 AM ET

Who would be afraid of GSP anyways? The guy is harmless. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Southknox
Southknox
  • Predictions:  3,540  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  754
  • Post Score: 243

11.18.2013 | 2:01 AM ET

49-46 Hendricks

• Round 1
  • Hendricks 10 GSP 9
  • Round 2 
  • Hendricks 10 GSP 9
  • Round 3 
  • Hendricks 9 GSP 10
  • Round 4 
  • Hendricks 10 GSP 9
  • Round 5
  • Hendricks 10 GSP 9

Hendricks won 4 rounds in my eyes....... but the 5th was close 
Round 1,2, and 4 were clearly won by Big Rig.

"**** Jon Jones"

Southknox
Southknox
  • Predictions:  3,540  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  754
  • Post Score: 243

11.18.2013 | 2:07 AM ET

So Close

Im a Big GSP fan but he lost that ****** fight. 

"**** Jon Jones"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.18.2013 | 2:49 AM ET

Very sensible scoring Southknox.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

11.18.2013 | 4:56 AM ET

I watched the fight live and said Hendricks won then (when I was all excited and into it and not looking at it from a technical scoring aspect), I just re-watched the fight tonight to score the fight now that the excitement died down, and gave it to GSP. I think this is one of those fights where the 10 point must system doesn't really work. I think Hendricks won the fight however GPS out scored Hendricks.

Round 1 - GSP 10-9
Striking goes to Hendricks - he landed the harder/cleaner big shots 
Aggression goes to GSP - it was GSP that was throwing more volume and making more attempts to end the fight (even though Hendricks had more effective attempts to end the fight)
Octagon control goes to GSP - George was coming foreword more and trying to cut the cadge off 
Grappling goes to GSP - not much happened on the ground both men had a few sek on top but GSP tried the sub and Hendricks did noting from the top

Round 2 - Big Rig 10-9
Striking goes to Hendricks - those big shots that staggered GSP give striking to Hendricks in dominant fashion
Aggression goes to Hendricks - He pushed the pace and tried hard to finish GSP
Octagon control goes to Hendricks - from pushing GSP back with the big shots or pushing him to the cadge Hendricks dictated where the fight took place
Grappling goes to Hendricks - what little grappling took place was Hendricks pushing GSP up against the fence

Round 3 - GSP 10-9
Striking goes to GSP - no real big strikes landed this round but GSP landed a lot more 
Aggression goes to GSP - Gsp had a higher volume thrown
Octagon controll goes to GSP - This was close this round but Hendricks came foreword cutting the cadge off only in small bursts where GSP was slowly coming foreword cutting Hendricks off most of the round
Grappling goes to Hendricks - The few seconds of grappling in this round had GSP on the fence or on his back

Round 4 - Hendricks 10-9
Striking goes to Hendricks - the big flurry that pushed GSP back on his ass + good GNP
Aggression goes to Hendricks - He threw more and looked for the fignish more
Octagon control goes to Hendricks - he backed GSP up for most of this round 
grappling goes to Hendricks - GSP on his back or on the fence for most of the grappling

Round 5 - GSP 10-9
Striking goes to GSP - his high volume body head combos and a couple nice kicks 
Aggression goes to GSP - He threw a lot more in this round 
Octagon control goes to GSP - he cnstantly pushed foreword and initiated the grappling, Hendericks was more reactive this round than proactive
Grappling goes to GSP - Hendricks was on his back more and it was about 50/50 who was against he fence more

So despite Hendricks doing more damage and coming closer to the finish GSP out points him 48-47

I hope for instant rematch because this was a good fight even with the sour taste it leaves in your mouth. I love both fighters and cant wait to see them fight again in a rematch or not.
splashsergio
splashsergio
  • Predictions:  55,161  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  713

11.18.2013 | 9:32 AM ET

For me i think GSP won the fight. but it was a very close fight. Rounds 2-4 for Hendricks, Rounds 1-3-5 GSP

I'm so glad for one thing. On bellator 106. Dana White smailed for one bad decision by judges in Alvarez's fight, No he was crying for bad decision. That is the #KARMA

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

11.18.2013 | 10:12 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 5  

I need to watch the first round again. That was the closest round for me. I initially thought that Hendricks won by winning rounds 1, 2 and 4 with GSP winning 3 and 5. After reading Arcons breakdown of the rounds I want to watch it again and see if I change my mind.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.18.2013 | 11:54 AM ET

Watched the fight twice since it initially happened. All three viewings left me with a score of 48-47 GSP, and the most clear one was when I watched on mute. 

Still, Hendricks won the fight as a whole. But I do think a 48-47 is justified either way. I think one of the issues with the fight is that the rounds GSP won, he edged, where the rounds Hendricks won, he clearly won. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,693  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

11.18.2013 | 12:16 PM ET

So they saying gsp father is dying and he got a girl pregnant and wants her to abort but she won't.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

11.18.2013 | 12:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

to be honest I've been back and forth on this, at first I leaned toward Hendricks but I tought it could've gone either way, then I was sure as **** Hendricks won, then I got back to GSP and for what I've seen a lot of people have been changing their minds about one outcome or the other, which tells me the fight got scored correctly a split decision, when scored right can go either way, it means different people saw the fight a bit differently, if there where 5 judges maybe 2 more could have seen it for Hendricks but if there were 9 judges maybe 5 of those would have scored it for GSP, see what I mean? 

people will almost never agree in these kind of fight because there are a lot of subjective things when scoring a fight, part of it are hard plain numbers, how many strikes, how many takedowns, how many knockdowns, visible damage, but agression, dominance, cage control are somewhat subjective and depends on the eye of the beholder, they could've scored the fight to Hendricks and we would be having the  same conversation, except the other way around.
the fight was close, Hendricks looked closer to finishing the fight but he didn't, GSP endured and even won the last round, a split decision either way is the right call for me which means we definitely need a rematch.

my 2 cents

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

11.18.2013 | 12:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 5  

I think that's a fair analysis. I watched round 1 again, which is really to me the deciding round in the fight. I could definitely see it going either way in that round, it was just too close to call. They both had a takedown. GSP did more with the takedown by attempting the submission. They both did a fair amount of controlling the other person against the cage. I thought GSP had the better striking while they were separated. The strikes from the clinch were about even. Hendricks had some nice elbows while being pressed to the cage by GSP. I really could see it either way after watching that round again.
jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

11.18.2013 | 1:06 PM ET

I've watched this fight 4 times now.

Initially, and @BrazilianJitz will be the first to point out, I scored it for GSP. But after the celebration I realised bias may be pushing me in GSP's direction.

The deciding factor was Round 1. 2 and 4 were clearly Hendrick's with 3 & 5 being GSP's.

I though GSP's take down in the first was great, he was more aggressive and the guillotine attempt was the icing on the cake. BUT, that being said, I could see how some would score it for Hendricks. Too close to call and I would definitely like to see a rematch.

* Edited at 11.18.2013, 1:07 PM ET *

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

11.18.2013 | 3:36 PM ET

Like a lot of people are saying its all on round 1. if you look up the actual stats of the first round both men had 1 take down but GSP had the sub attempt and 19 significant strikes to Hendricks 18. Its real close and merits an instant rematch no matter how you score it. 

I think Skelliher hit the nail on the head, GSP only took the rounds he won by small margin where Hendricks won both of his rounds clearly.

The bottom line, you want GSP's belt you have to finish him. GSP is the absolute master of the 10 point must system. I really don't see any one out pointing GSP. 
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117

11.18.2013 | 7:03 PM ET

@Trev, I heard the rumors came from TMZ though...Which isn't reliable, if true it doesn't matter excuses need to be kept out of the martial arts and competition. If someone is fabricating and spreading that **** though, very ****** up.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.18.2013 | 9:06 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

One thing that nobody has talked about is the one judge who gave the fight for Hendricks, Glenn Trowbridge. To me the fight was close and I am not trying to suggest otherwise. I did think it was clear that GSP won rounds 1,3 and 5 and Hendricks won rounds 2 and 4. 

Back to my original statement let's look at Glenn Trowbridge for a moment. The guy is notoriously one of the worst judges in boxing/MMA. The first point to that was just Saturday night he was the judge who picked Rory over Lawler. Now I was rooting for Rory and I'm a Rory fan but there is no way he won against Lawler. Another example is in a boxing match between Brandon Rios and Richard Abril last year. Trowbridge scored the fight for Rios (115-113) when it was clear to literally every person who watched that fight that Abril won and by a lot. It was such a bad decision many believed it was a "fix." Watch it for yourself if you don't believe me. Another example is UFC 106. Forrest Griffin vs Tito Ortiz 2. If you remember that fight you'll know Forrest clearly won. In fact some had it 30-26 in favor of Forrest. Not Trowbridge though. Guy gave it to Ortiz 29-28. One of his colleagues called him the "most dangerous man in the sport" and another colleague tried to get his license taken away from him.

I know this fight was very close and I'm not arguing that. Giving the 1st round to Hendricks is obviously not the worst thing he's ever done. You just have to wonder that a guy who has this kind of reputation really knows what he's doing. When Dana goes on his rant about incompetence from the judges Trowbridge is the poster boy. 

In the end GSP/Hendricks 2 has to happen to settle the controversy. Same with Jones/Gus. The worst thing you can have is controversy in title fights. 

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.18.2013 | 10:10 PM ET

Even bad judges get it right sometimes, I mean look at Cecil Peoples, he worst judge ever but he gotten more then one decision right in his tenure.

"here I come to save the day"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,937  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

11.18.2013 | 10:29 PM ET

p4pgoat Sal D'amato, one of the guys who scored it for GSP, is known for having no clue how to judge a fight! Here are some of his calls..

Q. Jackson def. L. Machida 29-28
P. Davis def. L. Machida 29-28
N. Ring def. R. ***uda 29-28
D. Sanchez def. M. Kampmann 29-28
E. Figueroa def. A. Caceres 28-27
I. Pokrajac def. F. Maldonado 30-27
J. Head def. B. Ebersole 28-29
C. Guida def. H. Hioki 29-28
P. Cote def. B. Voelker 29-28
K. Gastelum def. U. Hall 28-29
J. Shields def. T. Woodley 29-28
F. Maldonado def. J. Beltran 27-30
M. Gamburyan def. C. Miller 29-28
E. Herman def. T. Smith 27-30

Glenn Trowbridge might be a **** judge as well, he probably is but this should tell you how random those idiots score fights and that your argument is worthless here.

D'amato gets alot of his calls right but he also has been part of some of the worst robberies in UFC history.

Looking over his mmadecisions.com profile is crazy. It's insane that one guy can do so much harm and still judge every other card. Dude is desrtoying this sport and nobody seems to care...at all!

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

splashsergio
splashsergio
  • Predictions:  55,161  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  713

11.18.2013 | 10:55 PM ET

I've ended to watch again the fight. And this is what i thik.
* Hendricks won two rounds very clear, Round 2-4. No doubts.
* Gsp won round 3 very clear.

Round 1, it was very closed. it could be 10-10 or 10- 9.8 for GSP. But 9.8 doesn't exist
Round 5, It was more clear for GSP than Round 1. 

To resume. It's so complicated to decide who was the winner. It's going to a lot of opinions from differents sides. 

I hate when the judges screwed up. But in this time, it is not very clear the decision. Because each person has a different way to seeing things and evaluate.

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’