Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

Who won, GSP or Hendricks?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

UP vote me if you scored it for St Pierre.

DOWN vote me if you scored it for Hendricks.

Let's see the tally, folks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses Page 9

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.19.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

People just vote Bill down for being Bill, haha.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

11.19.2013 | 6:31 PM ET

People dont downvote bill because hes bill.People downvote him for the **** he says. all the time.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.19.2013 | 6:35 PM ET

Bill says the things he does because of who he is, Bill. Thus he is voted down for being Bill. WHAT! 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

11.19.2013 | 6:36 PM ET

I'm not gettng into this existential debate on bill being bill.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

arcon
arcon
  • Predictions:  553  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  84
  • Post Score: 142

11.19.2013 | 6:46 PM ET

Ok for those that cant see a case for the fight to go one way or the other here is a link to the fightmetrics breakdown of the entire fight. It shows strikes to the head, body, leg, significant strikes vs other landed strikes, accuracy take downs / attempted take downs, and subs / sub attempts.

Since most everyone agrees Hendricks won rounds 2 & 4 and GSP won rounds 3 & 5 i will focus on round 1.

Significant strikes goes to GSP 19 - 18
total strikes goes to Hendricks 27 - 26

Given these stats its real hard to say who won striking this round, so it is totally reasonable to say striking can go either way for round 1. My gut tells me Hendricks won striking this round (but gut feeling don't play into technical scoring or at least shouldn't)

GSP threw 45 total strikes to Hendricks 36 total strikes
GSP tried to get 2 takedowns to Hendricks 1
GSP tried to get a sub Hendricks didn't 

this tells me that GSP won aggression as he made more attempts to push the action and finish the fight in every category

Both GSP and Hendricks got 1 takedown 
GSP tried a sub Hendricks didn't
Neither fighter was on the mat for long enough to get any transitions 

Considering the only things that happened on the mat was the 1 to 1 TD's and the sub try for GSP I see no argument against GSP getting grappling this round

That leaves octagon control, witch is a lot harder to score from a technical stand point. I believe GSP was pushing foreword more of the time than Hendricks (Hendricks came foreword in big rushing flurries but didnt sustain it). GSP had the center of the cadge more than Hendricks, so I also give this to GSP.

Bottom line is no matter how you cut it the stats don't lie GSP won at least 2 of the 4 things a Judge is supposed to score a fight by and you have an argument for GSP getting the other 2 as well. This means that GSP won round round 1 from a technical scoring stand point based on the 10 point must system. Add that to what is widely accepted as fact by people on both sides (rounds 2 & 4 are Hendricks's rounds 3 & 5 are GSP's) and you have GSP winning a close decision. 

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 7:03 PM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.19.2013 | 7:09 PM ET

@arcon: Excellent break-down. 

I completely agree that GSP won a nail-biter 48-47 on the 10-point must system. I've now watched the fight a total of 4 times. Once on mute, which made a world of difference. 

However, I do agree strongly that Hendricks won via Pride judging, and in terms of overall damage.

Still, I think people get too hung up on GSP's facial damage and Hendricks looking fine. Hendricks looks fine after most of his fights and GSP usually looks like he went through hell, even if he dominated the fight. 

What I do consider is the fact that Hendricks legitimately had GSP hurt badly in the second round. That's a fair argument, since GSP stumbled and looked wobbly for a spell there. But cuts, etc. don't mean all that much to me. It was basically 2 or 3 short elbows on the ground that did all the bloody damage to GSP in Round 4. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

11.19.2013 | 7:25 PM ET

@CthulhuJones- I think GSP is the biggest star in the UFC.

You're talking about the Best Welterweight of All-Time and Anderson Silva, the Best Middleweight of All-Time. In all fairness people that don't watch MMA knows both guys. What separates the 2 is the consistent draw that GSP has been. Also Dana mentioned it in an article a while back that GSP was his biggest star. Since then Anderson has lost. 

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 7:27 PM ET *

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,780
  • Post Score: 273

11.19.2013 | 7:25 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

The thing you need to take into account on striking, is did the strike do any damage? Forget about GSP's face for a second, and ask yourself if any of GSP's punches or strikes had Johny in danger? Not one time.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

skelliher
skelliher

11.19.2013 | 7:37 PM ET

@flying: You're assuming quite a bit. Yes, I agree that GSP didn't have Johny in serious trouble at any point during the fight, but Condit didn't seem to rock Hendricks at all either in their fight, although everyone and their mother knows Condit was lighting him up in round 3. You're counting cosmetic damage as the only damage. Other than round 2, GSP was never rocked beyond that. There are several slow-mo replays that show Hendricks's head getting snapped back pretty hard via GSP counters. Those were damaging strikes, even if Hendricks never got wobbled or took cosmetic damage.

skelliher
skelliher

11.19.2013 | 7:47 PM ET

With all of that said, I just rewatched the first round again, and paid very close attention to the strikes being landed. Hendricks evened up the TDs at one apiece in the first and while Georges had a sub attempt, it wasn't close. I gave the round to Hendricks on this viewing. Close, close fight. But wouldn't argue it either way. I kind of lean toward Hendricks for the win, but hopefully they'll just have round 6 in a few months and we don't have to swell on this fight anymore.

arcon
arcon

11.19.2013 | 7:53 PM ET

@flying_front kick Ok give Hendricks striking across the board except round 3 where GSP out struck Hendricks almost 2 to 1, GSP still wins rounds 1 & 5 via grappling aggression and control and round 3 via striking aggression and control 

I dont like it. I know Hendricks won the fight overall but thats not how scoring is done in MMA and you have to follow the rules as they are for scoring just like you have to punish fighters for roides.

@skelliher you are absolutely correct in Pride or on a basis of damage the fights goes to Hendricks hands down

To me this fight just points out flaws in the 10 point must system. It also screams REDO! I dont give a damn if you think GSP or Hendricks won you have to admit it was one of the most exciting fights in a while (except Jones v Gus) and should be rematched. 

I think they should make Striking and Grappling the 2 primary items in scoring (ie if you win both you win the round) with aggression and control as a tie breaker if each fighter wins 1 of Striking or Grappling with a final tie breaker if its still needed of time so that when each fighter gets 1 of Striking and Grappling and 1 of aggression and control you count weather more of the round was striking or if more if it was grappling and whoever had the primary item that was the larger part of the fight wins the round
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.19.2013 | 8:06 PM ET

On Being Bill 

An existential Crisis in the Digial Age

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2013 | 8:13 PM ET

I just didn't see Hendricks in any amount of trouble in that fight, he had GSP in big trouble and almost ended the fight. GSP landed a volume of strikes but IMO they weren't very damaging, while Hendricks were very damaging. I guess I'm focusing too much on that but GSP didn't really do much with his takedowns, and neither did Hendricks. So I guess I'm focusing too much on the striking.

I will have to re-watch the fight. I always tune out Rogan and Goldy for the most part, as hard as that is after a while it becomes easy. It makes it better to score the fight as it goes along, so in my head I thought I had a pretty good idea of how the fight went but I'll have to watch it again.

I remember in my initial post in the UFC 167 thread I said they need to adopt the ONE FC ruleset (or the Pride FC ruleset) but there were just as many questionable decisions in Pride FC as there are the UFC, Bellator, etc.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.19.2013 | 8:21 PM ET

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 8:25 PM ET

Always appreciate the buffalo ben.  Always has good stuff to add and keeps it positive.  

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2013 | 8:27 PM ET

Dana White looks so hilarious in this picture, it's almost as if he had a thought of what was going to happen.

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.19.2013 | 8:52 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

I think Lorenzo smacked Dana around after the post fight presser. Now Dana is back pedaling saying he has no problem with the commissions and he's sure they will figure it out. He wants to have the rematch in Vegas after that rant? Yeah good one Dana. The post fight presser should be at least 1 hour after the last fight so Dana has time to cool off and not look like such a house of *****...

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

arcon
arcon

11.19.2013 | 9:41 PM ET

@flying_kick you are right GSP was hurt and Hendricks never was. even though 90% of the fight was striking witch Hendricks won most of grappling for some reason still counts as strikings equal in this fight. On top of that Hendricks played the role of counter striker for a lot of the match witch usually is more effective for striking but it also usually costs you aggression.

its a ****** situation Hendricks won the fight but GSP out scored him..... cant wait for the rematch though

lol nice post with the ****house shirt... though i disagree about the delay for post fight press **** if the UFC has proven anything about press n all that its controversy sells and Dana's little rants have definitely increased the UFC's popularity over the years even if it makes him look like a ******* (to keep with your ****house reference). He is just now mending the bridges he started to burn, and whats the NVAC going to do about what he said? nothing but now more people are talking about him and the UFC, a net gain for Dana and his I assume vast amount of stock in the UFC / Zuffa 

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 9:42 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.20.2013 | 1:42 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

If it's Hendricks Right Knee that is jacked up I would say that leg kick when Hendricks leg went flying out from under him did some damage, which could ultimately cost Hendricks up to 8-9 months.  So who did more damage again?????

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.20.2013 | 11:20 AM ET

Jaykool, our resident genius fight analyzer, scores again, as per his usual.  

Going back through this thread, the following believe GSP won.
Fatality, Bill Burgess, yossgold, AnikM, IAmLegend012, blitzkrieg, Dannotheman, JamieHill, skelliher, jaykool777, arcon, splashsergio, ProdigyKid14, p4pgoat, ifightbears, SoccerKick,

The following believe Hendricks won.
ED209, dielegende23, flying_frontkick, haven, wake99, Nomad, IronTusk, JeremyBrigham81, trevpicks, Condit729, Franklin880088, MikeLovesTacos XD, ShakeANDBake720, Gregory, C_Arnoud, amp112, wilflet, CthulhuJones, ryanb424, MuayThaiNija, Southknox, mmown, jmcdowell, PilloryChoke, buffalo ben, AnAlias, FresnoMMA, Brazilian Jitz, SpiderGuard, edu94, nogfan, zarog,

If you want your name added or changed to the other group, just say so.  Some posts (like Live2wrestle, WishIsHere, Kalibo, legacyofmisfortune, mulefloyd, Lopati, geezhound) I couldn't interpret their side.

* Edited at 11.20.2013, 11:29 AM ET *

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : White ‘Probably A Little Mad’ About McGregor BKFC Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Jairzinho Rozenstruik plans to reconnect with ‘my real power source’ in Suriname, return against a top heavyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win