Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

Who won, GSP or Hendricks?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

UP vote me if you scored it for St Pierre.

DOWN vote me if you scored it for Hendricks.

Let's see the tally, folks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses Page 5

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

11.17.2013 | 4:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@sreimuth yes, like the idea, but the lack of colour correction seems a little lazy  (Boring bit: The way lighting is set up for event broadcast is you white balance (point a camera at somthing white like a sheet of paper, you tell the camera that that sheet under those conditions is perfect white and it calibrates everything around it.) under the lighting conditions your going to use. So under the front wash everything looks natural. A follow spot gives a different colour of white to the front wash as its a different type of lamp (discharge vs tungsten), which is why the fighters in the spot during the intro look cold/blue and generally a bit ill. If your going to alter the colour of white used during a show you need to either a) use a different camera set up to that white or b) put a colour correction in the spot, meaning it will like a bit orange in real life but natural white on camera, C) put a cold/blue colour correction in the front wash meaning it looks cold white in real life but the same colour as the frontwash and thus both look good on camera (you can do a mix of b and c where both colours are corrected to somthing inbetween their starting points).... Yes my job ruins my enjoyment of everything, always spotting things that are wrong)

Anyway watching now properly as i fell asleep in places the first time. Scoring it as I watch it, dont remember enough of first view to have any prior view on who won each round.

Round 1: Hendricks probably.
Round 2: Hendricks clearly.
Round 3: I was edging towards gsp just, then the takedown, make it close, Id give it 10-10
Round 4: gsp had the edge the first minute, then hendricks had over a minute of control, quite a few elbows on the ground and when they got up took the momentum in the stand up in the middle section. Last 90 seconds nothing significant went either way. Hendricks 10-9
Round 5: GSP

So I give it Hendricks 49-47, allowing for the fact almost no judges give 10-10 I wouldnt argue with leaning the 3rd to GSP making it 49-48. 
But given I think theres not much question about 1, 2, 4 the 3rd shouldnt matter, hendricks shouldve done enough.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,715  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,764
  • Post Score: 273

11.17.2013 | 4:28 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

This was an awesome fight, I swear Henricks fought so perfectly and there was a presence about him. I knew GSP wouldn't fold because Carlos Condit knocked him down and couldn't finish him, but I did think Hendricks would put him out cold in the first.

I think the reason it was such a good fight was because Hendricks made it a fight, and GSP was able to fight back.  Most of GSP's opponents are dismantled over 5 rounds. That's not very entertaining to me unless you like watching people get dominated, I suggest you hire a dominatrix.

To see GSP actually have to face some adversity and himself fight back, was very entertaining and made for finally a great fight. When they are in the clinch fighting for position in, those were classic moments and it brought out the best in both men.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.17.2013 | 7:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

really good article about the fight 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.17.2013 | 7:31 PM ET

That article uses this ******** argument in their unpopular case for GSP;

"It might be tainted logic, but you have to decisively defeat the champion to take his belt. Did Hendricks really do enough to put a stamp on the win?"

Being a Champion shouldn't mean you start every defense with a score card advantage. 

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

11.17.2013 | 7:35 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Anyone else think of the first fight between Machida and Shogun after they announced GSP the winner?

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

11.17.2013 | 7:42 PM ET

This was some Pacquiao/Bradley type ****.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.17.2013 | 7:55 PM ET

That a bit of an exaggeration.........

"here I come to save the day"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.17.2013 | 8:04 PM ET

Not sure if this has been addressed, but there's a strong contingency of GSP nuthuggers who believe Hendricks tapped to this. They need to remove his nuts from their eye sockets and retry viewing.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 8:10 PM ET

Not even close to a tap.

But it would have been nuts if GSP got hold of that choke tighter and finished in the first minute of the fight.  Think of all the drama we'd have missed out on.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.17.2013 | 8:12 PM ET

I agree it not a tap, but I wonder what he was trying to do there lol. I assumed he slipped while grapping the shorts.

"here I come to save the day"

JamieHill
JamieHill
  • Predictions:  699  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 142

11.17.2013 | 8:13 PM ET

some of these hendricks fans are just plain strange. gsp controlled more of the fight, he landed more strikes and scored takedowns. hendricks did inflict more damage to gsp - who cuts / bruises easily - but gsp flat out outpointed him 3rds to 2.

"Send anyone you want, just don't send anyone you want back"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  80,050  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

11.17.2013 | 8:14 PM ET

Dunno if that gif has been altered but his right hand does look like he went to tap then gsp released right before but we will never know.
ED209
ED209

11.17.2013 | 8:16 PM ET

It's not only Johnny Hedricks fans Jamie Hill. A majority of professionals and really any one who knows there ass from a hole in the ground thinks that Johnny won.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8
  • Predictions:  1,206  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  152
  • Post Score: 50

11.17.2013 | 8:18 PM ET

we all know what the deal is here i feel like

close fight. the fight as a whole goes to johny Hendricks. but as we know it goes by rounds. now anyone who says it wasn't rounds 2 and 4 for Hendricks and 3 and 5 for gsp was not watching closely or doesn't know how to score a fight. I will say hendricks' rounds were more dominant but neither were 2 pointers. so what are we left with... go back and watch the first round and then you know who the winner was. the problem was no one could really say who won the first round it was dead even. takedowns and strikes from the clinch for both guys. I think Hendricks might've won it, but to call it a robbery is preposterous. I think it was one of the most competitive fights of all time that Hendricks might've won but it was nearly impossible to call. the question of the day. WHO WON ROUND ONE?

"Be water my freind"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.17.2013 | 8:20 PM ET

He outstruck him with jabs. A guy landing two jabs to another guy landing a bomb is not equal. Even if he outstruck him 200 - 100 using that formula he lost in my eyes, and it wasn't anywhere near a 100 strike difference. I'd really really like an explanation from people who are scoring the first round for St. Pierre. How a sub attempt, takedown with zero time of top control, and pushing Hendricks against the fence trumps the bombs Hendricks was landing in the stand up and while clinched against the cage raining down those huge elbows. I didn't even think the first round was the closest round of the fight personally.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes from now.
ryanb424
ryanb424
  • Predictions:  10,790  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 100

11.17.2013 | 8:22 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I have it 48-47 Hendricks.

"The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up. -Fedor Emelianenko"

JamieHill
JamieHill
  • Predictions:  699  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 142

11.17.2013 | 8:23 PM ET

Based on what, Ed? Have you not read the fight stats? GSP landed more significant strikes and more takedowns, he was also continually putting hendricks into the fence, controlling the octagon. 

as for the first round, gsp landed 1 more significant strike than johnny.

"Send anyone you want, just don't send anyone you want back"

ED209
ED209

11.17.2013 | 8:26 PM ET

I'm getting tired of arguing this but Cthulu Jones pretty much said it. This is why I hate when people mention the fight metric like its the final answer to everything. You gotta look at it a little closer than adding up the amount of times there is a connection. Otherwise you end up with a really ****** system like Olympic boxing scoring... It's all in the rules anyway, it's not really a point scoring game.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

It comes down to the first round, and after the drudging that GSP took in the first half of Round 2, he actually fought back quite impressively and landed some very good stuff, including stiff jabs and crosses that stopped Hendricks's forward advance. 

Hendricks clearly deserved 2 and 4. GSP deserved 3 and 5 in my book. I had the first for GSP, especially on a rewatch on mute, but it was super close. 

I encourage ppl to rewatch the fight on mute. It may not sway you away from Hendricks, but I think you'll see it as closer. 

How fighters look or act after a fight means nothing. It's all about what they do during it. 

As I said a few times, GSP looked horrible after the Condit fight despite clearly winning 4 rounds. He didn't look good after the Diaz fight either and won that one 5-0. 

I think this was a coin toss of a decision, but hope they rematch and we get a more decisive result. If we do, I think people will move on from this one instantly. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MuayThaiNinja
MuayThaiNinja
  • Predictions:  4,538  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  217
  • Post Score: 235

I'm incredibly biased but I think it was a close fight. A 3-2 win for Hendricks would have been fair in my eyes but the people who say he dominated all 5 rounds, or even 4 out of 5 rounds are being silly.

And Hendricks and his fans can shut the hell up.... cause for one thing, he let off the gas in rnd 5 and admitted it, so he let it go to the judges and paid for it. And secondly, he has won his share of questionable decisions in the past, one being against Koscheck who a ton of people including me thought beat him.

The instant rematch is the best choice for all parties involved. I bet they do it in Montreal and promote it as GSP's retirement fight. He'll win that too. Cause Hendricks will talk a whole lotta **** now and get under GSP's skin which will bring out the best in him.

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200