Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

Who won, GSP or Hendricks?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

UP vote me if you scored it for St Pierre.

DOWN vote me if you scored it for Hendricks.

Let's see the tally, folks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses Page 8

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.18.2013 | 10:58 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

@diel it was not really an argument for anything. I was just using Trowbridge as an example as probably the worst judge in the sport. Remember what you said yesterday about the Rory/Lawler fight? Well that idiot scored it for Rory. I think when Trowbridge has ****** up it has been much worse then other judges and that is saying a lot because judging as a whole sucks. We could go on and on about bad judges and bad refs and the ignorance of Keith Kizer but it doesn't really matter. This is all that does.......

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,005  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.18.2013 | 11:28 PM ET

Hendricks won. He did more damage in the first two rounds than GSP did in the entire fight. When GSP was winning rounds it was a lot less decisively. I don't really see the argument for giving GSP 1, 2, or 4.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

11.19.2013 | 9:20 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 5  

That's the way it's judged though. Who won each round individually. You don't get to look at the fight as a hole. It's solely based on who won the round you just watched. So even if Hendricks did more damage, that doesn't matter under the current rules for scoring an mma fight.
C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

11.19.2013 | 11:20 AM ET

I hate the `round x could have gone either way` argument.
If it could have gone either way, why dont they?
Seems like the champ always gets those types of rounds.

Machida, Henderson, JBJ, GSP are the examples i can remember.
Trapper
Trapper
  • Predictions:  746  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 255

11.19.2013 | 11:26 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

"If SAMBO was easy it would be called Jiu Jitsu"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.19.2013 | 12:32 PM ET

The need to finish the champion was even greater in the case of Benson Henderson. My God did they gift him rounds. I´m so glad that Pettis was able to finish him, because otherwise there would have been a huge discussion about THAT decisión too

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 12:50 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

11.19.2013 | 2:49 PM ET

This fight was a prime example on how the current scoring system needs to be tweeked.

Using the current system GSP won rounds 3 and 5. I think round 3 was a little more clearer than 5. I gave round 5 to GSP because of the 2 TD's. Besides that it was close. Hendricks clearly won rounds 2 and 4. The differance between those 4 rounds was that Hendricks more convincingly won his 2 rounds while Georges won but where far closer than Hendricks.

So it comes down to round 1. Total striking was close, TD's were even, Hendricks landed the harder shots, GSP had a very nice submission attempt. That round could have gone either way. In this fight there where no 10-8 rounds IMO. So to say this fight is a robbery, I think that's a stretch.

If I was to judge the entire fight, not based off rounds, I'd give it to Hendricks. Based off the 10 point system you can make a valid case for both guys.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

11.19.2013 | 3:12 PM ET

I was utterly shocked when GSP got the decision.  The only round I gave him was the third.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,780
  • Post Score: 273

11.19.2013 | 3:55 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Bill Burgess, I just want you to think about this for a minute. How much can you really know about someone through watching them on TV? You declaring Johny Hendricks ignorant and an ******* IS ignorant on so many levels.

I could say the same thing for GSP, admit when you've been beaten. I could call him 'ignorant' etc but that would be stupid and ridiculous. There's no need to disrespect a fighter on that level, unless it's Michael Bisping or War Machine.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.19.2013 | 4:04 PM ET

Bill is the master of this ****.

One second he will respect a fighter and tell people they should to, the next he is saying Jon Fitch fought like a '***** ass *****' against Demian Maia. Also adding '**** Jon Fitch'.. When 2 days prior he was jon Fitch's "biggest fan".

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Southknox
Southknox
  • Predictions:  3,540  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  754
  • Post Score: 243

11.19.2013 | 5:18 PM ET

Johnny Hendricks did more damage then GSP. 
Damage isnt in the judging criteria, Effective striking is.
What does effective striking mean? Its not how good you look when you throw a punch. It is how the punch lands and does damage/harm to your opponent. 
In my eyes they dont use the word damage but idk how els you can describe effective striking without at least mentioning the punches landing. 
You can throw a perfect jab and who cares if it doesnt land. GSP looks better striking (smoother) but Hendricks landed the more effective strikes but he did have the best technique while doing so.

"**** Jon Jones"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.19.2013 | 5:22 PM ET

Bill is trying to fit in amongst a group from a different generation. Sometimes he doesn´t present his ideas in a way that is easily integrated by significantly younger people.  I don´t know when or in what context he called Jon Fitch a ***** ass *****, but he´s probably reaching into a vernacular that he´s not used to.

If he wants to talk about MMA online with other fans let him, and stop giving him such a hard time. 

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 5:25 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,780
  • Post Score: 273

11.19.2013 | 5:46 PM ET

If I'm correct, Bill is only 62 years old. That is not very old by today's standards in the United Sates or Canada. If you're gonna say outlandish things like Johny Hendricks is 'ignorant' and an 'assshole' you should be prepared to defend that.

If you watch the Primetime episodes you get a glimpse of the type of father, husband, friend and training partner Hendricks is. If you saw that fight, he defines Mixed Martial Artist, his stand-up improved so dramatically in that fight I wondered if I was watching another fighter. His take down defense, everything was perfect. Did you see him talking to himself at the end of the 5th round? He was in a trance, that gleam on his face. Just a tiny view, compared to the real thing.

GSP is an amazing fighter, but I've seen him destroy the competition although he struggled with a few opponents recently I didn't expect him to have to fight back like that. I credit Johny Hendricks for that fact, if it weren't for Hendricks we'd never have seen GSP in that situation. It was similar to seeing Jon Jones struggle at first and slowly figure out Gustafsson along the way.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.19.2013 | 6:17 PM ET

GSP is clearly the hugest star in the UFC firmament.  He must be.  To so stir this kind of controversy.  There have been countless close decisions and no huge uproar.

Henderson vs. Edgar, Jones vs. Gustafsson.  No uproar.  Did anyone notice that after the Jones/Gustafsson battle, Alex never disrespected Jones and declared himself the new LHW champ?  Anyone?  Hmm.  I wonder why Alex didn't do that.

Anyhow, I am a pretty easy-going guy.  I do not always answer those who insult me.  Sometimes I do.  

I am only defending GSP because I feel he was completely disrespected by Hendricks.  And up to that moment, I liked Hendricks.  A lot!  I really did.  I admired how he trained, his family life and everything else about him.  But when he said that he was the true WW champion, after GSP defended his title even to the point of sustaining permanent brain damage, well, that did it.  That crossed such a clear line that I have lost all respect for that guy.  He showed that he wasn't mature enough to handle a disappointment.

GSP gave up just as much as Johny did, and has for a long time.  We now know he was training with a lot of personal crap and not complaining about it publicly.

I notice the LA Times scored the fight for GSP.  Bleacher Report has gone out of their way to post many pro-Hendricks articles.  They haven't bothered to report if anyone scored it for GSP.  

The Tapology house has come to a few consensus.  The house seems to give GSP rounds 3 & 5 and Hendricks 4.  Rounds 1 seems to be a draw, by consensus.  Round 2 is fragmented.

According to the post count of post 1, it is 30 for GSP and 51 for Hendricks.  5-3 isn't a consensus.  It's a fragmented, divided house.  

If I were GSP and I heard Johny call himself the true WW champion, I'd have gotten an inch from his face and told him, "No, you're not.  I AM!  Until you convince judges, you're not!  You just lost, son.  I beat you."

But GSP is too much a diplomat to put arrogant usurpers in their place.  I am not.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.19.2013 | 6:19 PM ET

How is Anderson Silva not the biggest star in the UFC? There are people who have never watched a single fight who know that name.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, and 15 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.19.2013 | 6:20 PM ET

Henderson vs. Edgar, Jones vs. Gustafsson.  No uproar

You may have not been paying attention. People lost their ******* minds over the Gus/Jones fight.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, and 15 minutes from now.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.19.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

"Henderson vs. Edgar, Jones vs. Gustafsson.  No uproar."

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 6:22 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 6:24 PM ET

@buffalo ben  You bring up an old issue.  My Jon Fitch days.  When he lost, I was emotionally unbalanced for maybe 2-3 days.  I was upset, angry and said some things in anger and disappointment that were ill-advised.

After around 3 days, I got over it.  I was so emotionally invested in Fitch that I couldn't handle him losing to Maia that way.  And my critics all had a field day.  I'm not a perfect guy.  Probably as imperfect as they come.

But I did say things I regret.  Sometimes that happened.  If that were the worst verbal misstep of my life, I'd be overjoyed.  I've done worst in real life.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 6:28 PM ET

The GSP vs. Hendricks commotion makes the Jones vs. Gustafsson tiff look like a pink tea party for a coming-of-age ingenue by comparison.

We were not still talking about how lousy that decision was 3 days later, were we?  No, I didn't think so.  In fact, almost everyone agreed with it.  

I stand my ground.  No commotion.

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 7:36 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.19.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

I stand reproved.  Yes, I agree Anderson Silva is the biggest star in the UFC.  I forgot about him.

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial