Tapology Forums

Prepare yourself Bill, Jon Fitch has been cut!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 8

itfigures
itfigures
  • Predictions:  37,240  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,453
  • Post Score: 279

02.20.2013 | 6:41 PM ET

I hate to see anyone lose a job but sometimes changes like this need to happen for things to evolve. When you look at how good Bellator's shows have been lately, this isn't really all that surprising.

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.20.2013 | 6:45 PM ET

"while legitimate college wrestling, even state finals, does not.  They probably have only parents and the auditoriums are half-empty."

Cmon Bill, there are people that actually like wrestling

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

02.20.2013 | 6:53 PM ET

@live... yes there is.. but @Bill is right.  I love wrestling (real wrestling).

@itfigures... huh?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.20.2013 | 7:04 PM ET

I agree with him that it doesnt have the most spectators but the whole state finals not filling half an auditorum was a ridiculous exaggeration, but I guess I should expect that with Bill

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 7:08 PM ET

true.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

darth_nanners
darth_nanners
  • Predictions:  2,440  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: 170

I kind of saw this coming with the UFC roster getting so big not many guys are going to get to lose more than two fights in a row before being cut. But I agree with the point about the UFC starting to make there product more about entertainment than a sport. I understand that they have to make a profit, they are trying to run a business but I can think of other fighters more deserving of being cut than Fitch. 

I believe a good idea would be to have two separate promotions. Have one that is basically a farm league that gives some of these guys a place to compete and sharpen their skills before being in the "big show".  Let them fight for a place on the UFC roster. Have something like just the top 20 guys in each division under the UFC banner, and if you get cut from there then you go back down to the other promotion and get a second chance. Even have separate titles, this would give some of the lower tier fighters a chance to shine instead of being just a guy that fills up a preliminary card slot. Some of the FX and Fuel cards have actually felt to me at least like they wasn't actually a UFC event. And if they are going to go international and have all of these different seasons of TUF from other countries this is going to compound the problem of the divisions being to big. 

Hell does anyone else have any ideas on what they could do to fix this problem? Sometimes I see a UFC card now days and have no ******* clue who half the guys are. Especially some of the past few cards from Brazil. 

"insert random generic/inspirational message here."

itfigures
itfigures

If you break that list down one at a time, the only true "shocker" is Fitch. The UFC is suddenly the devil because Fitch gets cut? c'mon... Him and Volkmann(maybe more) likely be in Bellator soon and humping away as usual, people will be *****ing about them as usual. I'm not saying I'm happy that those guys got canned but most will be fighting in another promotion soon and possibly getting paid better. Maybe the next 16 guys the UFC brings in will produce another Anderson Silva or Jon Jones.

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

02.20.2013 | 7:09 PM ET

@Bill I agree that the UFC is choosing strikers above graplers and I get it, but it sucks its  just part of the sport as a whole, and I don´t like it.

The UFC has always shouted that they have the best fighters in the world, the elite, but I see good fighters elite fighters (Fitch) that are beeing cut just because, if this sort of thing keeps going the UFC will have the most exciting fighters but not the best.

Lots of examples of fighters who should be cut and they´re still getting paid to get KO´d in the UFC. it really sucks.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

itfigures
itfigures

02.20.2013 | 7:20 PM ET

Also, I know this is a stretch but I wonder if it's at all possible this has anything to do with Eddie Alvarez? Maybe my tinfoil hat is cutting off the blood to my brain.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349

02.20.2013 | 7:23 PM ET

@itfigures  It also crossed my mind, but I was embarassed to post anything about it, ha ha

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 7:24 PM ET

Your tinfoil hat you mean?

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.20.2013 | 7:26 PM ET

I agree with Bill in the sense that if you're an exciting striker, you can afford to lose.  If you're a technical grappler you better be pulling off submissions or at least taking every decision because the UFC will cut you after a single loss regardless of how many wins you rack up.

It's unfortunate, but I believe the UFC is all about marketing their own brand.  Expanding MMA to new states is just a way of putting more money in their pockets.  That's all it'll ever to be them.  In the UFC it's entertainment first.  It's the fighters who garner attention and pull in more PPV buys that get the title shots.  The UFC implementing a ranking system was so utterly pointless.

Not saying the UFC's business model is bad, because it's brilliant.  I just don't think it's good for the integrity of MMA.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

killa1734
killa1734
  • Predictions:  2,528  |  53.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5

02.20.2013 | 7:30 PM ET

Would love to see some Fitch and some of these guys in Bellator with something to prove. Some recognizable names could make Thursdays on Spike must see TV

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

02.20.2013 | 7:30 PM ET

where's @bill? did he cut himself from tapology when he found out fitch was cut?

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 7:32 PM ET

He's responded multiple times @lbj6.

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

02.20.2013 | 7:37 PM ET

oops. my bad. somehow missed it. been a long day

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,076  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

02.20.2013 | 7:37 PM ET

hurricane just made me lmao on twitter

Gregory Shane Helms ‏@ShaneHelmsCom

How long before UFC changes it's name to Ultimate Fighting Entertainment?

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

02.20.2013 | 7:46 PM ET

lol

That was good

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

02.20.2013 | 7:47 PM ET

Bill makes it look like this is the nail on the coffin for the UFC and as if there's much more to it.

A bunch of middle and low tier guys with a few losses got cut. Fitch had his runs with the ufc brass all the way back since the videogame rights debacle, you should know by now how the UFC treats those who dont play ball. Add that to the overwhelming influx of fighters via 17 TUF seasons (and more coming up), the SF merger and the women's division, you get this. And yeah, the Fitching surely didn't help either.

Does it makes sense? under normal people standards of logic, no. Under UFC/Dana's, yes.

"@AndySalasMMA"

Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 7:49 PM ET

@lbj... upper for honesty... been a long day for me too boss.

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves full fight video highlights
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Smashes Thiago Alves in 60 Seconds – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : ‘King Of Violence’ Perry Smokes Alves In Just 60 Seconds
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Lorenzo Hunt suffers gruesome arm injury after Mick Terrill drops him in first round
  • Middle Easy : Lorenzo Hunt Suffers Horrific Elbow Injury in Opening Round Against Mick Terrill – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : Terrill Defends Heavyweight Title After Hunt Breaks His Arm
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 live blog: Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Disappointed Ben Rothwell claims quick injury TKO win over Todd Duffee
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Ben Rothwell bulldozes through Todd Duffee in 43 seconds
  • Middle Easy : Ben Rothwell Scores Awkward 43-Second TKO Over Todd Duffee – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Alfredo Angulo, Jeremiah Riggs have 93-second instant classic at BKFC KnuckleMania 4