Tapology Forums

Prepare yourself Bill, Jon Fitch has been cut!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 10

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

02.21.2013 | 1:31 AM ET

Ok, so...

I've read the whole post so far in it's entirety and I'm surprised no one has brought this up...

Can anyone tell me ANY professional sport's organization that is purely about the sport and not about entertainment and making money?

It's the same reason Northwestern got bumped from a spot on the Outback Bowl in favor of Ohio State besides having a better record!

College sports is the damn DEVIL.

Seriously, I love the sport, art, and science of MMA. Show me ANY fighter would would compete, put his body health and life on the line for free, and I'll show you a madman.

We train because we love it, we teach because we love it. But we compete for glory and prosperity...

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.21.2013 | 1:41 AM ET

*College Football is the devil. The NCAA Basketball tournament is the best championship tournament in all of sports (in my opinion).

68 teams vie for the championship INCLUDING the small schools, which is wonderful. Every year at least one small school beats the overwhelming favorite and it is glorious.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.21.2013 | 2:09 AM ET

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.21.2013 | 3:04 AM ET

Bill Burgess, I would like to apologize for giving you **** about saying that Dana White, or someone at Zuffa truly did not like Jon Fitch. I have no other way of rationalizing a guy that's ranked in the top 10 of the division on the UFC's own website being cut. Sure, his fights lacked excitement at times, and he went through a period of never really coming close to finishing a fight, but uh, he just got ****** with no lube. I honestly feel bad for the guy, and I feel bad for you as a Jon Fitch fan. Hopefully he'll get picked up by WSOF or Bellator.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 5 hours, and 53 minutes from now.
JudoRandori
JudoRandori

02.21.2013 | 3:06 AM ET

Hope I didn't wake anyone up with my celebrating!
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.21.2013 | 6:15 AM ET

I'd just love to see Fitch-Askren ... not for excitement value ... just to see Askren get Fitched ... that is my newest MMA dream ... that and Tor KTFO Josh Samman.

They are small dreams, please, oh gods of MMA, make them happen :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

02.21.2013 | 6:52 AM ET

Fitch would murder Askren. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

02.21.2013 | 8:05 AM ET

This is ****** up. I guy who beat Erik Silva then losing to the new beast demi an maia in a greatly entertaining fight gets cut. ***. I bet he comes back to the ufc eventually cause he is gonna murder everyone out of the ufc

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

02.21.2013 | 8:34 AM ET

in 10 to 20 years DW will look terrible as someone who could have advanced MMA  but decided to line his pokets instead. lomg live leonard garcia!
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 11:10 AM ET

Well, what's done is done.  Nothing we can do about it.  The UFC has defined themselves as what they want to be, and that's that.  

After all, the UFC has the right to be whatever kind of an organization that they want to be.  But I've learned a lot here.  Just because I wanted them to be a different promotion isn't relevant to what they feel they want to be.

Here's some mental notes to myself that may be worth sharing.  

The UFC is conducting a brutal, scorched-earth policy of promoting the fights and fighters that can compete for the division titles.  Once a guy shows he can't compete in a credible, viable way to win the title, he is then relegated to entertaining status, or set aside, like Fitch.

Think about it.  Once Liddell was shown to no longer be in the title picture, what happened?  In a division with about 40 fighters, Liddell could still whip about 32 of them.  Was he allowed to take his place at the back end of the Top 10 and continue his career as a highly-ranked Top 10 guy?  No.  He was pressured to step aside and retire.  Give his spot to someone else.  And he was Dana White's best friend!  Chuck clearly wanted to continue.  He still loved the training, still loved to fight.  There was no legitimate reason why he couldn't continue on in the Top 10, fighting carefully-selected other Top 10 guys.  But he was forced out strictly because he couldn't compete for the title with good chances!  That's not sports, folks!  That's a manipulated, rigged, distorted and unfair thing, brought about by inept, incompetent suits, concerned only about money.  Sports and fighters be DAMNED!

Liddell, Hughes and Penn still had years of entertaining fights to offer, given carefully selected opponents.  I never got to see Liddell vs. Griffin, or Hughes vs. Fitch, when they made sense.  Once they could no longer contribute to the title picture, they were not allowed to continue on as highly ranked, Top 10 fighters.  They were handed their hats and shown the door.  And Liddell and Penn could still have been entertaining!!!  See the picture?  A bitter, brutal, scorched-earth policy, with the knife at your neck.

Now look at Penn.  Is he being allowed to continue?  Theoretically, he could still be a force in LW.  Is he being encouraged to return to LW?  No.  He is being pressured, just like Liddell to step aside, give his spot away.

The UFC doesn't want the Top 10 BEST.  They don't want great ranked guys to hang around, cluttering up the spots once its deemed you can't compete for the belts.  

I said that Demian Maia would be blocked from a title shot.  But I was probably wrong.  They'll give him his shot, just like Fitch, but if he fails decisively, like Fitch in his title shot, he will then be in Fitch's position.  Not in the title mix, and able to smother the hot prospects' hype trains.  Will that be tolerated?  

Once a man is no longer credible and viable to compete for the title, he better be entertaining, with a sparkling, striking offense.  Otherwise, he will be undermined in some crafty, under-handed way.

The UFC, which all of us thought was trying to move in a more sports-oriented direction, has now chosen to move in a more entertainment direction.  Nothing really wrong with that, other than the potential lost to evolve a great sport.

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 3:59 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 11:26 AM ET

The original combination for MMA was boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, Brazillian ju-jitsu.  With any other offensive combat discipline added as needed - judo, Sambo, etc.

The UFC is now so committed to manipulating the original formula, that any kind of legitimate sport evolving is being smothered in its adolescence.  By its under-emphasizing wrestling, and over-emphasizing striking, winning, finishing and being entertaining, any chances of ever developing naturally into a legitimate sport is now lost.

But I will not cry.  I will not continue to verbally crucify the UFC for disappointing me by not evolving into a true sport.  They have every right to define themselves however they like.

But we should all adjust our hopes and dreams of what might have been.  We can mourn the lost potential.  But money drives the UFC.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 11:34 AM ET

Thank you, CT.  I accept your sincere apology.  So far, you are the only man in the house who is man enough to admit I was right all along, and the house was as wrong as it could be.

Everyone saying, "Wow, Bill. Your boy is gone."  But no one admitting I was RIGHT!  

Thanks for being man enough to say so.  

So much for, "Dana is God.  Dana knows best.  The UFC knows what it's doing."

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 12:18 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 11:46 AM ET

Some questions that were raised.

Someone questioned Demian Maia.  After his title shot, his deadly ability to smother hot prospects will actually work against him.  He will become a detriment.  His talent to beat people will make him a problem.  And his high salary will also work against him.

Someone asked about Ronda Rousey.  If she were a man, she wouldn't be promoted like this.  And even though she is a women, if she loses, she better learn an entertaining offensive style of fighting, or she will become a burden.  And if she goes down, she could take the entire women's experiment down with her.

And if that happens, let's all hope that they all are picked up by Invictus, and given a real shot.  Invictus would make the Cyborg vs. Rousey fight immediately.  

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 12:20 PM ET *

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

02.21.2013 | 12:57 PM ET

Bill, you have one point I agree with that you apparently think is a bad thing that I think is good: The UFC is interested in putting on exciting, title relevant fights.

The UFC is NOT discriminating against grapplers. They are discriminating against stallers. Advancing position in grappling is like footwork in striking: they are merely the setup and don't mean anything if you don't deliver the sub/strike. If you're actually trying to finish and not win by points they don't care how you do it.

Bottom line is the finish (or at least a legitimate try for one) is the goal as it should be imo.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

02.21.2013 | 12:59 PM ET

Oh and here's a couple more interesting articles that I haven't seen links to in this thread yet.

SBnation

MMAcorner

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

02.21.2013 | 2:08 PM ET

Oh well this should be good for bellator. They should have based the cuts on time spent stalling in fights to really send a message

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 2:38 PM ET

One safe prediction.  We will never see Fitch being asked to return to the UFC.  They are probably extremely relieved to be rid of someone they didn't want, didn't feel they needed, was no longer viable for the title, whose salary was not in line, could derail hot prospects with deadly smothering tactics, and was hard to justify why he wasn't getting top contenders.

The 3rd greatest WW who ever fought, after GSP and Hughes.  Won his first 8 UFC fights, lost to the best, won 5 more straight, won a fight that was declared a draw, lost one, won another, and lost his 3rd fight in 10 years.

I further predict that Jon Fitch is now suddenly awakened to his former employer's bad attitude towards himself.  It might have been easy for him to kid himself.  Now he can't.  I would be shocked and disgusted if he EVER even CONSIDERED returning to such an employer.  

The UFC did him a favor, since they were obviously not going to give him any more title shots, or even give him top contenders anymore.  Now, he can get the respect he deserves from his bosses, still get good money, and take proper care of his family.  The UFC is not the only game in town.  

Fitch and Aaron Simpson.  Who would have thought?  Who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Fitch

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 2:44 PM ET *

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.21.2013 | 5:10 PM ET

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Dana explaining why they released Fitch. "He can go get some fights and get back in the UFC."

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

On if he was fired over video game deal: "Are you f'n ****ting me?!" "I don't have one ounce of hate for Fitch."

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.21.2013 | 5:31 PM ET

Im not one to call BS on Dana cause most the time i think hes truthful but goes over board . But this one feels like BS

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

02.21.2013 | 5:39 PM ET

They might as well of cut Phil Davis, Allistar Overeem, Hector Lombard, Nate Diaz, Dustin Porier, Urijah Faber, and Uncle Creepy. Cause i feel as though all those guys are in the same position that Jon Fitch was in there respective divisions, give or take a spot lol

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 post-event facts: Ryan Spann's struggles continue
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out
  • MMAFighting.com : David Feldman explains how Conor McGregor became BKFC co-owner, how Dana White may react
  • MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $25 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 55 with rare Mumford & Sons, Led Zeppelin, Eminem Curse
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)