Tapology Forums

Prepare yourself Bill, Jon Fitch has been cut!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 12

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.22.2013 | 9:35 AM ET

Yeah WSOF or One FC  but I dont see Fitch wanting to travel to Asia a lot

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

02.22.2013 | 9:43 AM ET

Rebney has a chance to sign a top ten WW and he says no thanks?

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

curtwag84
curtwag84

02.22.2013 | 9:46 AM ET

cant blame him . WW is one of Bellators best divisions and Fitch would dominate 3 boring matches then fight his Doppelganger and one of Bellators biggest assets and probably take his belt and show how good the UFC is with a 1-2-1 in his last 4 in the UFC winning the Bellator title.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

02.22.2013 | 9:54 AM ET

Dana spent the money to build Fitch's name.  Look at the cash Bellator and Viacom are spending on promoting Chandler.

Bjorn can cash in on money the UFC already spent. 

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

curtwag84
curtwag84

02.22.2013 | 10:01 AM ET

True. Im wondering how much Viacom is willing to spend with Bellator being new as well .Because they turned down Barnett really quick too. And they could have easily out bid the UFC on Alvarez just to stick it to them but instead are trying to win him in court.

TAMANinja
TAMANinja
  • Predictions:  2,213  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 303

02.22.2013 | 5:52 PM ET

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out about these cuts. I believe the Fitch cut was undeserved but I'd imagine that the UFC has some sort of metric where they look at entertainment value(EV) per dollar and frankly Fitch and Volkman's EV/$ is just not very high. I had always hated Fitch until the Silva fight and oddly enough after that fight found myself rooting for him against Maia (a fighter I like and want to see sub GSP), so yes, it's unfair but not unexpected.

My bigger point is that as an MMA fan who likes his money this is good. The supply of fighters was just increased and now free TV orgs like WSOF, Bellator and any others I might not know of have the chance to scoop these guys up at a discount. I'd rather see Diego Nunes or Fitch fight on free TV over some no name bum. If the UFC gets rid of the dead wood so to speak (as long as Fitch is an abberation and not the norm) I think this is good for MMA overall. As more smaller orgs have legit fighters the sport as a whole is going to get more recognition.

Also, have to head out soon so can't go into this too much further, but with regard to Bill somewhat freaking out about wrestlers being cut, I'm pretty sure it's not Sonnen's striking ability that's getting him title shots and front pages, Velazquez does most of his damage taking people down and GnPing, GSP dominate most often via wrestling, etc. etc.. It's not the wrestling that's getting guys like Fitch and Volkman cut is the ackadaisical sit in the guard and pitter patter attacks that made Fitch unexciting (to most people). IMHO the Fitch we saw fight Silva fought w/a sense of urgency and was throwing damaging shots not just looking for control. Also saying Maia is in danger of being cut is ridiculous, he goes for the finish and brings it hard (at least this WW version) when did we ever see Fitch or Volman juice a man's head? I'm not saying guys need to pull a Fujita-Frye in ever fight but a sense of urgency would be nice.

Last point, this whole the champ picks his challenger is a bigger threat to the UFC's legitimacy than anything else.

P.S. Sorry I wrote a book.

* Edited at 02.22.2013, 5:53 PM ET *

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

02.22.2013 | 5:57 PM ET

Bellator doesn't want to be known for taking the Zuffz table scraps lol see what happened with Babalu and King No. Both got knocked out with a spinning back fist and were both favored to fight each other in the finals, not the guys that knocked them out in the 1st

"3HUNNA"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

02.22.2013 | 6:15 PM ET

@amp it was on the media scrum from yesterday

"Is reality really realistic?"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.22.2013 | 7:08 PM ET

Pardon me, but I haven't freaked out.  Everyone thought I would but I kept my composure.  Sorry if I am calm.

I am actually relieved to have this tension removed.  Jon Fitch is now removed from the UFC screwing him over royally anymore.  And the house can relax now that this tension is suddenly gone.

I posted a lot on the ramifications, and as usual, I will be proved right.  

The savvy sage of tapology.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.22.2013 | 10:25 PM ET

"We have over 470 something guys in the UFC.  Over 100 too many."---Dana White

So, when the cuts come, they will not all be the worst guys in the UFC.  No sir.  Why you ask?  Simple.

The worst guys are probably guys who haven't fought many fights.  Newer people.  Guys who don't fight often, or maybe have only 1 or 2 fights so far.  Inexperienced newcomers to the UFC.  Those are your worst fighters out of the 470 and some guys.

But they are not going to be the sacrificed ones.  Why?  Because they are cheap, their salary deals are in line, and they are affordable.  

It's the guys who have fought a few times, have some wins under their belts and have the better contracts that will be the sacrificial cows.  One of the reasons Fitch got cut was because his $66,000. contract wasn't in line for what they believed his drawing power was.  So, it was a cost/benefit analysis that did him in.  Plus the other stuff like style, unpopularity, video game defiance, ability to derail hot prospects, etc.

So, the coming cuts will fall on those who have built up some contract momentum while not showing  excitement.  I think Colton Smith will be at risk.  Just so you know what to expect.

* Edited at 02.22.2013, 10:36 PM ET *

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.22.2013 | 10:29 PM ET

Weird theory alert:

In that video Dana kept saying how if Fitch went to Bellator or anywhere else, he would become champion and no one would beat him.

Maybe. Just maybe. Dana wants to show how even guys who can't contend anymore in the UFC are still miles ahead of the cream of the crop anywhere else.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.22.2013 | 10:35 PM ET

I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Davis released.  I'm not predicting it, but he meets the criteria.  In his 8 UFC fights, he has 4 submission wins, 3 decisions, and 1 loss.  Despite his obvious talent, I feel he is at risk.  But not yet.  They must wait for him to lose.  His lack of a stand-game, his inabiltiy to compete for the title, and his proven ability to derail more exciting fighters, like Gustafsson, plus his contract costs will work against him.

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

02.22.2013 | 10:59 PM ET

With Fitch and Volkmann out I am almost content with the roster.
p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

02.22.2013 | 11:16 PM ET

@judo you're almost content with the roster meaning anyone with any kind of wrestling skill you want gone? I agree with Volkmann. He was the poster child for lay n pray/being a **********.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

02.23.2013 | 12:43 AM ET

Phil won't get released. He's one of the more popular MMA fighters. I've seen him in national commercials, and he's still a contender at something like 27-28 with his only loss to Rashad.

Plus he is a LHW. They are only going to cut the bottom LHWs like what Vladdy dropped to.

* Edited at 02.23.2013, 12:44 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

MachineGunWhite
MachineGunWhite
  • Predictions:  13,530  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 271

02.23.2013 | 2:18 AM ET

I know I don't post pretty much at all in the forums. But this is worth it.

Alright but we still have Dan Hardy who lost what four straight and was finished for two of them and pretty much dominated the other two and 3 fight losers like Melvin Guillard and Dave Herman..Also, if anyone needs to be cut it's Garcia, Roop, and Phan. Those guys win like once every 3 or 4 fights. But people argue that they are exciting fighters.. and they deserve to stay because they poor their heart into every fight. Whic I love, but I'm pretty sure just about every fighter fights with about 110 percent of their heart.

Garcia.. just sucks idc the guy should learn how to finish a fight instead of a close decision every fight hes in and then cries about it. I love excitement too, but then again it's a sport and not pro wrestling. The excitement will be there with a few bores. It's just like any other professional sport... if it becomes just about the excitement then it myswell be the WWE and simply just fix the fights. Dana plays his favorites.. it's that simple. How about Steve ******* Cantwell.. it took the guy 5 straight looses to get cut.. and i love Sexyiama as much as the next guy but he hasn't won since like ufc 100.

There should be a set in stone system in place for how and why a fighter should be cut. Like 2 straight loses finish.. or 3 straight loses by decision.. and or a performance enhancing drug test failure. They need the same set standards for evey fighter or the UFC will never be considered a legitimate sport next to MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL. It's that simple.

W/e Danas being a cheep scrub. He even said Faber might be cut if he looses. I think most of the world considers Faber the icon hof of the lower weight classes and I'm pretty sure his fights are never really that boring.

* Edited at 02.23.2013, 2:20 AM ET *

"If you're coming on, then come on! - The Harold Clarence Howard"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.23.2013 | 6:17 AM ET

But the UFC weren't looking to cut 100 guys when Hardy lost 4 straight and now hes on a 2 fight win streak so why would he be cut?

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

02.23.2013 | 8:47 AM ET

because of Bellator's ego, WSOF will become a new force in the fighting business

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

02.23.2013 | 9:24 AM ET

i dont think Bellator has such a big ego. their whole thing is to be responsible and not spend a lot of money for famous guys in the end of their careers. they prefer to develop their guys or to grab guys who they believe have future. to me, thats being humble in the sense that they are not overreaching.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.23.2013 | 11:17 AM ET

By letting go of name people, the competition will only get stronger and stronger.  By being so fixated on title fighters, they will give more and more up-and-comers more and more reasons to think twice before signing with the UFC.

Why would a good but not great fighter choose to jeopardize a stable relationship with Bellator or WSOF for a flash in the pan with the UFC?  It wouldn't make a lot of sense.

It would be like a man who broke up with his steady girlfriend, who saw him through his lean years, to go out for 2 dates with the hot chick.  Bad long-term strategy.

I understand that fighting in the UFC, however briefly, is a stud in one's resume, but is it enough to sacrifice a long-term contract with a lesser organization?  Does it add that much luster to one's resume to make the other MMA organizations want you that much more?  I guess it would depend.

The other MMA organizations will now be able to hang on longer and longer, and give fans more reasons to watch their fights, while the UFC will lose good ranked fighters who can't compete for the titles anymore.

As per their normal, the UFC is exercising poor long-term vision, as they steer further away from evolving into a true sport, all for entertaining, WWE-type values.  

* Edited at 02.23.2013, 11:32 AM ET *

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Her ‘Scary’ Ordeal With Pneumonia After UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : John Dodson laments UFC pushing him to 135, thinks he'd knock out Alexandre Pantoja 'right now'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev For No. 1 Contender To Headline UFC Saudi Arabia
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Tszyu vs Fundora, Romero vs Cruz, and MUCH more!
  • MMAFighting.com : John Kavanagh questions Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: ‘I don’t think someone approaching 60 needs to be fighting’
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC North American West Coast Trials 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker on fighting Khamzat Chimaev: 'I'm in a great headspace to take another hard fight'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘This is a nice place to fight somebody’: Golfing with Mike Perry on the debut episode of Swing Rounds
  • MMA Mania : Luque Vs. Buckley Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and bareknuckle boxing action March 29-30
  • MMA Junkie : UFC announces multiyear deal for twice-annual events in Perth starting with UFC 305
  • MMA Mania : UFC 305 Headed Down Under To Perth
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Coach counters Daniel Cormier’s Islam Makhachev claim, says ‘nobody is more dangerous’ than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 305 lands in Perth, Australia on Aug. 17
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Mania : Never Mind! Colby Won’t Fight Down For Garry
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia