Tapology Forums

Prepare yourself Bill, Jon Fitch has been cut!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 7

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.20.2013 | 6:01 PM ET

As much as I hate to be right, I told you so.  The UFC started screwing Fitch after the Penn fight, and I had the bad taste to say so in public.  Everyone said, "No, no.  They will start giving him contenders after a win or two."

I countered by saying, "No, I really don't think so.  I think the UFC has determined their direction and it will not tolerate a wrestler who doesn't bang."  And I'm proven right.  Let this be a cautionary tale.

Big warnings to wrestler types.  Phil Davis, Demian Maia, Jake Shields, Colton Smith.  If you come from a grappling background like wrestling, ju-jitsu or judo, you better learn to strike as soon as humanly possible.

Most of them have.  Chuck Liddell, Chris Leben, Melvin Guillard, Rashad Evans, Dan Henderson, Cain Velasquez, Jake Ellenberger, Johny Hendricks, Josh Koscheck, Shane Carwin, Anthony Johnson, Keith Jardine, Rampage Jackson, Jon Jones, Cung Le, Phil Baroni, Diego Sanchez, Carlos Condit, Sean Sherk, Jens Pulver, Gray Maynard, Urijah Faver, Dominick Cruz.

The UFC has set its sails, struck their colors, and hoisted their flag as a strictly Entertainment Promotion, not that unlike WWE.  They have given fair warning in countless ways.  Here are just a few indications that they have no intention of compromising their entertainment values with a bow to sports legitimacy.

1. Whenever the actions slacks off, they either stand them up, or bring them to the center from the fence.
2. They make matches based on whoever they feel is exciting, and even admitted that Official Rankings will not impact their match-making inclinations.
3. They dismiss their title shot promises easily and breezily without apologies whenever they feel another match might draw better.  Did this to Fitch and Hendricks and this will continue.
4. If a fighter has what they consider an exciting striking style, they will ignore their losses.  Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, Leben, Guillard, Chris Lytle, Dan Hardy.  They far prefer you lose looking exciting, than if you win looking technical.
5. The UFC puts far too much emphasis on finishing fights, and Dana White never tires of telling people, "Don't let it go to the judges."

I told you guys all along that the UFC wanted Fitch to go away, and now, exactly 1 fight after fighting exciting in beating Erick Silva, he's gone.  I feared this would happen, but hoped everyone else was right and I was being too timid.

The UFC has taken one ginormous step back from sports legitamacy and one huge step towards WWE type sports entertainment.

What do you do when something you're all but addicted to shows tell-tell signs of heading in the wrong way.

And the UFC can just call them back?  Why the hell would you go back to an organization that treated you like **** and threw you away like Kleenex?  That would be like a woman who cheats on you routinely, finally breaks up with you, and then all she has to do is crook her little finger to get you to run back for more abuse?  I don't think so.

Maybe WolfmanHowl is right.  Dana White is in a panic to see how much damage he can create.  Couture, Cyborg, this.  

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 6:29 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

02.20.2013 | 6:07 PM ET

I don't agree with everything in that post @bill, but i definitely agree with other parts of it. I like the point about going back to the UFC and all that.

This Hand of God/Dana White **** is ******* nuts.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.20.2013 | 6:08 PM ET

I want to see Maia walk out in his wrestling singlet now . didnt know he wrestled.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

02.20.2013 | 6:12 PM ET

Maia never wrestled.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

curtwag84
curtwag84

I know...

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

Wrestling, Ju-jitsu, judo.  You understood what I intended.  Maia will be blocked from a title shot.  Period.

The UFC is no more excited by his style than they were with Fitch's.  They want strikers.

It sucks to be right.

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 6:13 PM ET *

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

02.20.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

Bill, I was with you up until you suggested Dana's condition is a result of God smiting him for cutting fightiers.  lol
curtwag84
curtwag84

02.20.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

Yep Rousey is next with that boring Judo...

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.20.2013 | 6:14 PM ET

AnAlias.  I need to use whatever device at my disposal to get your attention.  Creative license.  

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

02.20.2013 | 6:14 PM ET

*** Dana?, get your ******* head out of your ass!!

I won´t even try to understand because I can´t

Dana just keeps diggin that hole deeper and deeper.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.20.2013 | 6:16 PM ET

You heard me, curt.  I stand by it.  Down the road, Rousey and Maia will 'become problems'.  Count on it.  They best learn to strike or to Bellator they will go.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

02.20.2013 | 6:18 PM ET

@Bill... it's called a "poetic license".. not creative... thanks for not disapointing me... I fully expected your novel post. ;)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

02.20.2013 | 6:19 PM ET

sorry @curt lol

@bill that was the part that i don't really agree with. just because Maia is a grappler does not mean he won't get a title shot. Maia is well known for having a ridiculous submission game, Fitch really isn't. Maia was not exciting against Fitch because Fitch has fantastic sub defense from training with guys like Dave Camarillo and whoever else rolls through AKA. Maia finishes more often than not, Fitch doesn't. To the average fan, it is harder to appreciate grappling, especially someone like Fitch, who is just really tough, and literally makes people quit. so in a way, i guess i do agree with what you're saying bill, strikers are going to always be placed above grapplers, which kind of sucks.

I was never really a fan of his, but i always appreciated his skills, and he seems like a good guy. Sucks that Fitch is getting cut, really doesn't make sense.

He went 13-1 with the loss being to one of the best ever, then went 1-2-1, which i still don't think warrants being cut. You can argue that Leonard Garcia has lost his last nine or ten fights.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.20.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

Thanks, Kalibo.  You knew I had to post sooner or later.  And you called it right.  It was a book.  Hope you're reading this on your home screen and not on the road on a texting device.  Looks a lot longer on those tiny screens.

But I did predict this, if you remember.

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,951  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

02.20.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

I see many champions in that list for other organizations to grow on, this is a good thing for mma and the ufc has such a huge pool to pick from now losing is no joke now.
Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 6:25 PM ET

@bill... yes...I actually do remember.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.20.2013 | 6:28 PM ET

When you think about it, the UFC's behavior makes logical sense.  Punching is more interesting and exciting and easier to appreciate than wrestling or submissions.

That is why boxing, WWE draws well, while legitimate college wrestling, even state finals, does not.  They probably have only parents and the auditoriums are half-empty.  

So, the UFC believes, for the better or worse, that striking-type fighters will draw and fill their coffers, and sell their PPVs, while the non-stikers will not.  Even the best non-strikers like Maia, require some appreciation of technical leveraging, positioning, control of your and your opponents' weight, etc.

The public has no appetite for that kind of technical combat.  If it did, we'd see college wrestling being a marquee sport.  But that isn't so.  More's the pity.  Not much any of us can do about it.  

Business will drive the UFC, not sports.  No matter how much we all want it to.  I can accept that, but my interest just took a hit.  

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 6:58 PM ET *

Kalibo
Kalibo

02.20.2013 | 6:31 PM ET

My interest def didn't take a hit, but I am baffled by what has happened today.  Could care less the reasoning... it was a bad move by the UFC.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,188  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

02.20.2013 | 6:33 PM ET

wow lots of guys got released i dont agree with fitch ,russow . volkmann  and hieron the rest make sense to me

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.20.2013 | 6:40 PM ET

I don't remember reading that the UFC is looking to cut 100 people.  Does that mean 100 more than they have already cut this year?  That would be draconian.

That would seem to indicate losing will be a mortal sin, not finishing will be a venal sin, and fighting boring or not striking enough will be flagged for a serious talk.

This might indicate that they are having serious cash flow problems.  Maybe the 2012 injuries plague cut deeper than we knew, or the health-insurance policy is bleeding them white.

Too bad we might not be getting all the relevant information that would explain why they cut a top 10 guy.  Giving valued investments to the enemy doesn't make a lot of sense.

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : WWE Superstar MVP Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘People die, this isn’t a joking matter’: Devin Haney on Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: People Die In This Sport
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation