Tapology Forums

Prepare yourself Bill, Jon Fitch has been cut!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 11

bman518
bman518
  • Predictions:  23,181  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,763
  • Post Score: 185

02.21.2013 | 5:47 PM ET

How, they cut Fitch because he was mostly laying and praying guys with bad takedown defense and was getting paid a lot. All of the fighters you mentioned are very exciting. Not saying the cut was justified though.

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 5:48 PM ET *

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

02.21.2013 | 5:50 PM ET

Exciting shouldnt mean you get to stay or go in the ufc imo
i think it should be judged by who really can win, i mean its called mix martial arts
if we get to a point where the ufc is cutting guys based on excitement then that would ******* suck cause it could get extremely opinionated which in turn just sets up the ufc for failure 

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

bman518
bman518
  • Predictions:  23,181  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,763
  • Post Score: 185

02.21.2013 | 5:53 PM ET

Yeah I know but obviously as this cut shows the UFC values entertainment over wins and losses.

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

02.21.2013 | 5:53 PM ET

yeah and that sucks unfortunately 

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.21.2013 | 6:52 PM ET

The only reason I can think of for this to have happened is that Joe Silva is sending a message not just about success, but about fighting style.  

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 6:53 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.21.2013 | 7:10 PM ET

Dana White says that the UFC has 100 fighters more than they want, so more cuts are coming.  Maybe they can cut from the bottom of the barrel next time.  

If Dana says that Fitch can get some wins and come back, he's more delusional than I thought.  Does anyone still give Dana White even a shred of credibility anymore?  If so, you're the most naive person in the house.  

Trust me, you'll never see Fitch invited back, and if he is, he'll tell Dana White to suck his ****.  He shouldn't give the UFC a second chance.  They're not worth it.  Self-respect is as important as money.  No amount of cash is worth years of systematic, professional humiliation and disrespect.

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 7:11 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.21.2013 | 8:50 PM ET

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

02.21.2013 | 9:20 PM ET

What I got from that Dana rant is that Fitch was too expensive for how he was performing and that this won't be the last cut that people freak out over. Faber is gone if he loses that's for sure. One thing I don't get is why Dana gave Fitch Erick Silva and then Fitch wins and Dana says well Silva hadn't fought anyone so whatever. If you aren't going to give him credit for the win why did you make that fight then...

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

lucya92
lucya92
  • Predictions:  321  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 103

02.21.2013 | 9:21 PM ET

I've thought it for a long time about the UFC now, with all the dodgy decisions from the judge's the one sided promotion of fights the way people get handed title shots, the UFC suck's the sport out of MMA and it's getting more like the WWE the further you go is based on popularity rather than talent.

but that still that doesn't explain why Fitch went ... I couldn't stand him boring as hell. But he still has allot of fans
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.21.2013 | 9:51 PM ET

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 10:35 PM ET

Dana White is SO out of touch and exploding with BS.  

"Jon Fitch will become a World Champion.  No one will beat him.  Win a few and come back."

SO out of touch.  Not a shred of credibility left.  NONE.

And get ready, folks.  100 more guys gotta go.  Is this the good part?  Are we having fun yet?

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

02.21.2013 | 10:37 PM ET

Fitch will never be a champion at 170 in the UFC. GSP, and Maia will ensure it never happens.

"3HUNNA"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.21.2013 | 10:46 PM ET

@TraeBlack  Hey trae.  I didn't say he would be world champion.  I quoted Dana White.  Did you get that?

And by the way, after Maia loses to GSP, he will be in EXACTLY the same position that Fitch was in.  Never gonna be champ, but would derail hot prospects with his deadly smothering BJJ.  He will then be perceived as a detriment and denied top contenders.  Watch and see.

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 10:48 PM ET *

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

02.21.2013 | 10:49 PM ET

I wasnt paying attention to it at all. I was just letting you know that he will never be a world champion. Just so you know the man you praise will always be 3rd best.

"3HUNNA"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

02.21.2013 | 11:04 PM ET

Wagner Prado = Kind of expected this to happen. Prado is a good fighter, but he's not UFC worthy just yet.

Mike Russow = I really like Russow's style, but in this day and age, you have to train full time if you're going to fight in the UFC and remain competitive and relevant. He still works full time as a Chicago police officer. It's great that he's doing both, but in today's UFC, be an MMA fighter or have a career. You can't do both at the same time. Today's UFC fighters are great athletes as well as very skilled well rounded fighters.

Jacob Volkmann = Can't say I'm too surprised by this cut. I really never paid attention to any of his fights. Maybe he got a raw deal, maybe he didn't. I really never watched him fight to make any real assessment. As much as I love MMA and especially the UFC, for me not to want to watch any fighter might be the justification for his release. If I don't pay attention to a fighter, then what does a casual fan think about him?

Vladimir Matyushenko = He's had a great career, and is probably one of the best journeyman/gatekeeper fighters in MMA. Unfortunately, I think it's time for him to retire. Maybe his release will prompt him to retire. 

Che Mills = This was a surprise. He's 2-2 in the UFC, and his losses were to Matt Riddle and Rory McDonald. Dana White might have been a little premature on this cut. 

Jay Hieron = This poor guy has gotten a raw deal every time he's come to the UFC. I understand him being cut the first time by the UFC. Losing to Jonathon Goulet was cut worthy, but he's had a great career with some good wins outside the UFC. He comes back to the UFC and loses 2 in a row to Jake Ellenberger and Tyron Woodley. Not really cut worthy losses when you factor in the fact that Leonard Garcia has more losses than wins, Dan Hardy lost 4 in row, and Patrick Cote started his UFC career 0-4, and they're still in the UFC. Hieron got a raw deal in my opinion. 

Terry Etim = Kind of surprised, but not surprised. Etim always came to fight, and was exciting to watch. I thinnk that losing two in a row, and only fighting 2 in the past year, kind of prompted this cut. I don't know if it was right or not, but who knows. Etim is a good fighter who might fight his way back into the UFC one day. 

Paul Sass = Don't get this one. Sass had a couple of losses, but I think he could've been given another chance. 

Jorge Santiago = Always a tough competitor who seems to do better outside the UFC. Who knows, we might see him again. 

Mike Stumpf = Didn't really do anything to impress me, so understandable cut. 

Simeon Thoresen = Same thought on this fighter as Mike Stumpf. 

C.J. Keith = Same thought on this fighter as Mike Stumpf

Motonobu Tezuka = Same thought on this fighter as Mike Stumpf.

Josh Grispi = I saw this one coming. He may need a little more time to develop, so we may see him in the UFC again one day.  

Ulysses Gomez = The UFC Flyweight division is thin and weak enough as it is. I see nothing warranting him being cut from the UFC, especially the UFC flywieght division.

Jon Fitch = While he's definitely not the most exciting fighter to ever compete in the UFC, he's still one of the greatest contenders. I mean ****, cut Jake Shields, Ed Herman, CB Dolloway, Patrick Cote, but Jon Fitch? This guy is easily a top 10 WW. I don't understand this cut at all. What's even worse is that I'm not a fan of Fitch at all, and you would think I'd be happy about his being released by the UFC, but actually I think it's a dumb release.

* Edited at 02.22.2013, 4:06 AM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.21.2013 | 11:45 PM ET

I don't like it. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

02.22.2013 | 1:10 AM ET

I just listened to Dana talk about cutting Fitch in the media scrum, and I gotta say it made ALOT of sense.

Jon Fitch is 1-2-1 in his last 4 fights and has only looked impressive in one of them.
He drew with BJ Penn which is not something a top ten WW should be doing because lets all be honest BJ at WW sucks.
He lost to Hendricks who is on an absolute tear as of late but still
Beats Erick Silva, who was really untested up to that point and that was his first big fight
And then got dominated by Maia.

I still do not completely agree with releasing him but after hearing Dana talk about it, it does make quite a bit more sense to me.

* Edited at 02.22.2013, 1:21 AM ET *

"Is reality really realistic?"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.22.2013 | 1:37 AM ET

@justyn. Was this on the Rogan podcast or in a different interview?
yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,175  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

02.22.2013 | 8:36 AM ET

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

02.22.2013 | 8:43 AM ET

Now that Rebney has said he does not plan on signing Fitch, where do you guys think he will go? WSOF?

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Page 11

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves full fight video highlights
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Smashes Thiago Alves in 60 Seconds – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : ‘King Of Violence’ Perry Smokes Alves In Just 60 Seconds
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Lorenzo Hunt suffers gruesome arm injury after Mick Terrill drops him in first round
  • Middle Easy : Lorenzo Hunt Suffers Horrific Elbow Injury in Opening Round Against Mick Terrill – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : Terrill Defends Heavyweight Title After Hunt Breaks His Arm
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 live blog: Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Disappointed Ben Rothwell claims quick injury TKO win over Todd Duffee
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Ben Rothwell bulldozes through Todd Duffee in 43 seconds