Topic: Cormier vs. Mir

Cormier vs. Mir

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,673  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,585
  • Post Score: 60

01.16.2013 | 1:34 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Cormier vs. Mir. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 6

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.14.2013 | 11:14 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Not sure what all the hubbub is about, but I looking through the comments on this last page, I do agree that Mir is a step down from Barnett.  Mir is going to get destroyed by Cormier. It's an uninteresting fight, but the heavyweight division has no depth.

I'd say that Mir and Bigfoot are comparable challenge-wise, but bring different things to the table.

"I live, I die, I live again."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.14.2013 | 11:14 PM ET

I could see the misconception that Mir would seem like a step down from Barnett because Cormier just matches up better against someone like Mir.  Cormier's got crazy power and Mir's got a weak chin.  I think for Cormier, Mir is absolutely an easier fight than Barnett. 
As much as I dislike Mir, he's been beating much tougher competition than Barnett.  It's a small step up, in fact I have Mir and Barnett as #7 and #8 respectively, but a step up nonetheless.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

02.14.2013 | 11:16 PM ET

Dont see how Mir is a step down. how do we even gauge how good Barnett is currently. His best wins are mid-tier russian and rogers. Who is to say Mir would have done the same thing. Yet, Mir has beaten better competition. Mir's jitz is arguably..IS better, and his standup is just as good.

Not a step down.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Gregory
Gregory

02.14.2013 | 11:21 PM ET

Mir is too easy to KTFO.  It's his huge glaring weakness. Barnett is tough as nails.

But let's wait and see how Cormier vs Mir plays out.  It's not totally fair to compare since each fight is different, but the manner in which Cormier handles Mir as compared to how he handled Barnett will be worth discussing.

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

02.15.2013 | 4:34 AM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Cormier has the great olympic wrestling pedigree, the cardio, the speed, and great boxing skills, while Mir has the experience, the size, and the most dangerous submission game in all of MMA. The longer the fight goes, the more it plays in Cormier's hands. Mir has had problems in the past with wrestlers that have a good striking game, but then again Cormier has never faced a top tier fighter like MIr.

There's also a lot at stake here. If Cormier wins, he solidifies his place among the elite HWs in the UFC. If Mir wins, then it could put Mir right back in the title picture.

At this point, it looks like the odds are in Cormier's favor, but Mir does better as the underdog on most occassions. When he was the underdog he broke Tim Sylvia's arm, almost took Tank Abbott's leg home with him, almost dislocated Pete Williams shoulder, and broke Big Nog's arm.

It's a tough fight to call, but I think Cormier takes this one by 2nd or 3rd round TKO.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.15.2013 | 6:20 AM ET

God I hope Mir wins.. I can't really see it though.. But Mir only loses by KO, Can Daniel knock him out? Probably but I'm not so sure he will though.. COME ON MIR.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.15.2013 | 6:21 AM ET

@Gregory.. Mir isn't a stepdown from Barnett.. No chance.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Gregory
Gregory

02.15.2013 | 8:28 AM ET

Yeah but it's my word against your word. I say no chance back to you my friend!  We're at a stalemate!

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.15.2013 | 9:10 AM ET

I think Barnett was a tougher matchup for Cormier but I think Mir is a step up in terms of name value/rankings sake

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.15.2013 | 1:46 PM ET

Mir has just fought for the title, Cant say i see Barnett doing that. 

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.15.2013 | 2:02 PM ET

The three guys Mir beat to get his title shot were Big Nog, Roy Nelson, and Mirko Cro Cop. I personally believe Barnett would beat all three of those guys. I also think Barnett would beat Mir at this point in their careers. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 3 days, 22 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.15.2013 | 2:27 PM ET

That was the fight I wanted to see after SF folded. Barnett vs Mir. Would have been a dope fight, but now we're not even sure that Barnett will sign.
AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

02.15.2013 | 6:54 PM ET

"Mir has just fought for the title, Cant say i see Barnett doing that."

Because Overeem failed a drug test and Mir was the only one on a win streak.

WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Joelkiz
Joelkiz
  • Predictions:  3,775  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 331

02.16.2013 | 2:31 AM ET

I wouldn't call Mir a step up or down vs Barnett. Barnett was consistently ranked as a top 5 heavyweight until his last suspension disqualified him from the rankings. He may not have faced the best since Pride closed shop, but he did win 8 in a row against some B-level guys. Mir was recently a champion, but his fights with Cro Cop and Big Country were nothing to write home about. I'd personally think that Mir vs Barnett would be a much closer contest than this one. Cormier will use the threat of takedowns to open up his punches. If he's smart he won't shoot until the last 20 seconds of a round so Mir has no time to work for submissions.

"Any hype about Cheick Kongo is a lie. Odds are his fight is going to suck. The Pat Barry fight is the exception, not the other way around."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.16.2013 | 4:57 AM ET

@allhailkrull ... Thats a pretty stupid statement really. Frank Mir deserved to fight for the title.. He knocked Cro Cop the **** out (who had only lost 1 of his last 7 before that fight.) It wasn't a good fight but a great KO. He then completely dominated Big Country from bell to bell, who had only lost to JDS after winning tuf. I thought it was a great fight.. And then of course, he snapped Nogs arm.. he submitted Big Nog!!! Its not the best guys in the world but as you say no one deserved it more.. So he did deserve the title shot.

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull

02.16.2013 | 7:01 AM ET

If Barnett was given that road to the title he most likely would have gotten the shot as well. 

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,024  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

02.16.2013 | 7:11 AM ET

@AllHailKrull Barnett winning against Crocop ? Sure...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull

02.16.2013 | 7:43 AM ET

last time Barnett fought an old shot rival.

To pretend that Cro Cop was anywhere near the level he was in Pride is ridiculous. Barnett would have steamrolled him.

Rampage beating Wanderei? never gonna happen..

* Edited at 02.16.2013, 7:50 AM ET *

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,024  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

02.16.2013 | 7:56 AM ET

@AllHailKrull so the gif is proof that Barnett would KO Crocop ? Sure...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull

02.16.2013 | 8:00 AM ET

It's absolutely a good representation of what time and mileage can do to a once great fighter.

I'm not sure you are smart enough to comprehend that though.

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan’s Coach Doesn’t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Mokaev Vs. Kape In The Works For UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement