Topic:

Best Fights for Introducing People to MMA

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

07.16.2012 | 5:10 PM ET

Saw there wasn't a ranking for this and I feel for MMA this is an extremely relevant thread for people who might wonder what others think would be a good way of introducing MMA to their friends.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Responses

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

07.16.2012 | 5:13 PM ET

Based on attention span ;p

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,023  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

07.16.2012 | 5:27 PM ET

here you go wish, in no particular order...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

WishIsHere
WishIsHere

07.16.2012 | 5:28 PM ET

I will give an explanation of why I picked these:
1. Big Nog/Sapp - Giant 350 lb dude beats up and controls the #1 HW in the world at the time in an action packed fight with Big Nog using his technical prowess in BJJ to make a HUGE comeback.
2. Jung/Poirier - High paced fight with insane sweeps, constant submission attempts, balls to the wall stand up until the finish with a faked TDD to a flying knee ending in a d'arce choke.
3 Sperry/Rua - Just an insane fight all around that goes everywhere and shows what MMA is all about.
4. Hughes/Trigg II - Hughes gets in A LOT of trouble and comes back after almost getting finished himself.
5. Rua/Diet Nog - High paced fight that displays awesome stand up and ground fighting. Need I say more?
6. Henderson/Shogun Rua - I don't think I need to explain.
7. GSP/Fitch - One of the biggest ass whoopings of all time, but GSP displays what it is to be the one of themost well rounded fighter in MMA history.
8. Machida/Rua - Shows what style match ups are all about and how calculating a MMA fight can be.
9. Jackson/Arona - Powerbomb
10. Pettis/Henderson - Another high paced fight that has the fighters going all out that has action going everywhere from the ground to the stand up.
11. Gomi/Pulver - My favorite MMA boxing style match. Very back and forth with a pretty awesome finish.

I wanted to put Sakuraba/Newton, but it is too much to introduce a high level grappling match to someone who doesn't understand anything that is going on when it hits the ground. It is an awesome match once people figure out the fundamentals of the ground.

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,188  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

07.16.2012 | 5:44 PM ET

1/ UFC first is about fighting, brawling, "without rules" for a new fan .. So lets get brawl and attract his attention ..

2/ UFC, or MMA, is not just a brawl of guys so drunk after a barbecue, lets introduce the ground game, dirty boxing, reversal, stand up, wrestling, GnP .. And 2 big Legends ..

3/ Cos its one of my favorite fight, even if Big Nog lost, in a bad way .. But its MMA, and everything can be reversed .. And show mor Ground game .. And how bad can be BJJ

4/5/ Show an Awesome history, for me, like Foreman/Ali, and all this sort of rivality .. I felt like an old man who was exciting like a child listenning to an old radio what happen during the fight !!!! Show as well the trashtalking, who is Sonnen, who is Silva, their skills, the first fight ending at 2 min of the end, the trashtalk again, the rematch .. And the attitude of Sonnen after the fight, cos its MMA, and fighting brings  RESPECT !!!  By both sides ..

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,844  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

07.17.2012 | 6:00 AM ET

How about the Jason von Flue vs. Jorge Gurgel fight from Season 2 of The Ultimate Fighter?

And if the person you show that fight to says it was "boring," then you're probably wasting your time with him.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.17.2012 | 11:32 AM ET

My list
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.19.2012 | 9:39 AM ET

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

07.20.2012 | 5:21 AM ET

This was a great idea for a ranking. I would focus on recent fights because if they watch a fight and then find out the guys are no longer relevant, they might be disappointed (I know I was a few times). Later on, if they become a fan they'll go back and watch the classics.

* Edited at 07.20.2012, 5:26 AM ET *

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere

09.25.2012 | 5:38 PM ET

Just bumping this because I feel this was a good idea for a ranking. :P

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

09.25.2012 | 6:23 PM ET

I personal think Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell is a great introduction to MMA. First you have two former champs.  It a short fight. it action pack. It back and forth. It has a definite winner. It shows a lot of heart. I think in a lot of ways it perfect choice.

* Edited at 09.25.2012, 6:24 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

09.25.2012 | 6:30 PM ET

Obviously I had to put the fight that got me hooked as #1

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

09.25.2012 | 6:53 PM ET

Lauzon vs. Varner

It shows the dimensions of MMA (striking, grappling, wrestling) that most fights don't offer and the fight finishes with a very unusual looking submission to people who don't watch MMA or grappling sports in general.
SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

09.25.2012 | 6:55 PM ET

On Saturday, I think we had another good example in Dunham vs. Grant. Even if you don't agree with the decision, it was still a fantastic fight. 

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

bigcountry04
bigcountry04
  • Predictions:  214  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 125

09.25.2012 | 11:02 PM ET

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’