- Friday 07.16.1999
- U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View
- Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Ownership: Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG)
- Venue: Five Seasons Events Center
- Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
- Enclosure: Octagon
- TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Jeff Blatnick
- Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
- Post-Fight Interviews: Mike Goldberg
- Number of MMA Bouts: 8
Smith vs. Ruas I (8), Miletich vs. Pederneiras (7), Kosaka vs. Lajcik (4), Jackson vs. Alger (3), Roberts vs. Waterman (2)
Horn vs. Takase (6), Jones vs. Luiz Moura (5)
UFC 21 Wiki Update Wiki
While UFC 21 was one of the weakest cards in some time for the promotion, featuring a Lightweight Championship bout between Pat Miletich and Andre Pederneiras and a heavyweight bout between Maurice Smith and Marco Ruas as its featured attractions, it also featured an important set of rule changes that mirrored the Unified Rules of Combat used today.
Preliminary bouts would be contested as two five minute-rounds while main card bouts would be three rounds and championship bouts five. Additionally, judges were now required to use the 10-point must system commonly used in boxing to score fights, rather than judging the fight in its entirety.