Topic: Off Topic

The Beer (and other elixirs) Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

04.09.2012 | 11:02 PM ET

I thought having a thread deadicated to Beer (and beer related stories) would be a good idea. 

enough said.

I LOVE BEER, and that's an understatment. I don't drink as much (or as often) as I used to, I don't drink to get drunk (that's just  a happy coincidence), I never drink (more than a couple of beers) and drive, however I rarely pass an opportunity to have a cold one. I like all kinds of beers, but my favorites are the dark ones, bitter and with a strong taste.

I would like to know about the good beers of your side of the world, which are your favorites and whatever stories you'd like to share.

I won't even try to make a rank because that'd be impossible and probably would lead me to madness, but I'll mention some of the ones I like the most

Victoria (Mexican)
Choppe (Mexican
Bohemia(Mexican)
Negra Modelo (Mexican)
Cucapah Obscura (Mexican micro brewery)
Lowenbrau (German)
Heineken (Netherland)
Steel Reserve 211 (USA)
Bavaria (Netherland)
Foster's (Australia or England; depends how you see it)
Samuel Adams Imperial Stout (USA) I've tried it twice it was great but a bit overwhelming

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Responses Page 4

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

04.19.2012 | 12:25 PM ET

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396

04.19.2012 | 12:36 PM ET

Haha Crabbie's.........

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.19.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

Never even heard of ginger beers before, but they look good.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Lindseroni
Lindseroni
  • Predictions:  1,459  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 229

04.21.2012 | 6:39 AM ET

GINGER BEER IS DANGEROUS!! lol specially when you are dared to chug it quickly!!!

"Don't Act Like Your Not Impressed!"

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

03.14.2015 | 11:58 PM ET

Victory Dirt Wolf Double IPA- it's delicious.  Going down very nice for the fights

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

stinkybike
stinkybike
  • Predictions:  9,153  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  198

03.15.2015 | 1:47 AM ET

I live in Richmond VA and we have a thriving craft beer scene.  There are 6 great breweries within 4 miles of where I work.  They all offer solid beers.  My favorite right now is Strangeways brewing.  They always have at least 25 different beers on tap and they are the only ones in the area doing sours (which is my latest obsession). I also homebrew when I can, mostly IPA because it is my favorite style. Had a couple of Devils Backbone 8 point IPA tonight Watching the fights. Yummy. I basically try any beer I can get my hands on.  If it is available within 100 miles I have probably had it.
Jotun
Jotun
  • Predictions:  601  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  207
  • Post Score: 125

03.15.2015 | 2:17 AM ET

I enjoyed some Dry Dock Hop Abomination and Epic Brewing IPA during the fights this evening. Colorado has it's perks.

"Why do today what you can do tomorrow?"

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

03.16.2015 | 10:43 PM ET

Green flash west coast IPA

Still heady here on the east coast.  If you're a beer fan, drink this ****

* Edited at 03.16.2015, 10:44 PM ET *

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

03.16.2015 | 10:57 PM ET

I live in Beer City, U.S.A./the Best Beer Town.  It's hard to go somewhere and not find something new that is over the top good.  And my favorite Michigan brewery is a few hours drive north.  

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

03.17.2015 | 1:32 AM ET

@OldMan I would've thought Sand Diego was beer city, but it seem I was wrong.

the last great beer I had was a Chimay grand reserve (blue label) My wife got me a bottle as a gift, daaamn it was great!. right now I have a Delirum nocturnum waiting for me, or rather I am waiting for a good moment to enjoy it

I wanted to brew a Brown Nut Ale this  weekend but didn't had the time, I'm gonna make some time next sunday, because I already finish  my Pale ale stash and have a couple of amber ales of my last brew.  I also have an Irish Red recipe ready to go

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

03.17.2015 | 7:07 PM ET

I just found out today that one of my good friends and his dad made a black IPA that they just put into a bourbon barrel.  Should be ready in about two and a half months.

* Edited at 03.17.2015, 7:15 PM ET *

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

03.17.2015 | 8:10 PM ET

Speaking of black IPAs have you tried Firestone Walker's Wooley Jack? Its a delicious black rye IPA. Simply delicious as is their union and double jack. I'm drinking a stone ipa now

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

03.17.2015 | 9:58 PM ET

Unfortunately, Firestone Walker (and Russian River) aren't available here.

stinkybike
stinkybike
  • Predictions:  9,153  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  198

03.17.2015 | 10:34 PM ET

@loudenswain   I love Wooky Jack.  Looks like a porter, tastes like a IPA.  I actually had a Green Flash last night.

@oldmangloom  Would your favorite happen to be Kuhnhenn or Bells perhaps?
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

03.17.2015 | 10:45 PM ET

Bells has some excellent beers.  I been drinking a lot of Great Lakes and Lefthand flavors these days too.

Sucks you can't get the Wookey Jack, Oldman.  Very tasty.

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

03.17.2015 | 11:16 PM ET

@stinkybike, my favorite is Shorts Brewing, which has very limited distribution outside of the state.  They have a double black IPA called Goodnight Bodacious that is jaw-droppingly good.  9.1% 154 IBU.  Bells is really good.  My favorites from them are Hopslam, an imperial IPA brewed with honey, and Black Note Stout, their bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.  

@loudenSwain, I've heard good things about FW.  Someday I'm going to take a trip to San Diego and just drive north hitting as many breweries as I can.

Oh, and I finally got my hands on a Dogfishead 120 Minute IPA a couple weeks ago.  All I can say is it was amazing.

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

03.18.2015 | 1:38 AM ET

never tried Dogfishead, but it's on my shopping list for my next trip to bevmo. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but I do enjoy them occasionally, I like more browns and porters, dopplebocks, hell I like a bit of everything, but there are many styles I haven't tried yet, like black IPA's, sours and lambics.  do you have any suggestions preferably of west coast breweries since those are easier to find down here.

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

03.18.2015 | 3:25 AM ET

^^^^

If you like ales try Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale or Bells Two Hearted Ale.

I used to drink a lot of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale.  Their Dead Guy Ale is also very popular.   rogue makes some tasty brews tho they can be a bit Malty.  Their Shakespeare Stout is good if you like stouts.

Lefthanded brewery has good beer in general, stouts, porters ales whatever  

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

03.20.2015 | 10:12 AM ET

I know and like Arrogant Bastard Ale, but I'm going to look for Bells two hearted ale. that Rogue Brown Hazelnut sounds good, I'm going to grab it next time I see it.
Stouts are not my favorite, but I like a lot Voodoo from left coast brewery. it's not to cofeey (which is the main reason I don't enjoy them as much) it's a little bit sweet but not too chocolatey, malty as it should and it has a great aftertaste.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

06.06.2015 | 7:01 PM ET

What is everyone's go to summer beer (or drink)?

I have been digging the new Richard's Radler.

For spirits I always enjoy a Dark and Stormy

2oz Rum
4oz Ginger Beer (Melville's Ginger Beer is nice)
Fill with ice

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55