Topic: UFC 293

UFC 293: Adesanya vs. Strickland

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,147
  • Post Score: 47

05.17.2023 | 7:17 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 293
  • Saturday 09.09.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Qudos Bank Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Laura Sanko, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $6,860,000
  • Attendance: 18,168
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sean Strickland   defeats   Israel Adesanya   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexander Volkov   defeats   Tai Tuivasa   via Submission, Ezekiel Choke   4:37 Round 2 of 3, 9:37 Total Bout Page
Manel Kape   defeats   Felipe dos Santos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Justin Tafa   defeats   Austen Lane   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground Punches   1:22 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tyson Pedro   defeats   Anton Turkalj   via KO/TKO, Jab and Cross to Hammerfist   2:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Carlos Ulberg   defeats   Da Un Jung   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:49 Round 3 of 3, 14:49 Total Bout Page
Chepe Mariscal   defeats   Jack Jenkins   via KO/TKO, Verbal Tapout From Arm Injury   3:19 Round 2 of 3, 8:19 Total Bout Page
Jamie Mullarkey   defeats   John Makdessi   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nasrat Haqparast   defeats   Landon Quiñones   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Charles Radtke   defeats   Mike Mathetha   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gabriel Miranda   defeats   Shane Young   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kevin Jousset   defeats   Kiefer Crosbie   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:49 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 32

Mrodriguez657
Mrodriguez657
  • Predictions:  2,426  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  316
  • Post Score: 118

09.09.2023 | 1:42 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1323rd

Just realized there arent any wmma fights tomorrow lol
TheNeet
TheNeet
  • Predictions:  132  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  39
  • Post Score: 274

09.09.2023 | 1:49 PM ET

Israel Adesanya vs Sean Strickland

Predictions: 1 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 5577th

This will be Adesanya’s first title defense after recapturing the UFC Middleweight title back in April from his long time rival, Alex Pereira. For Strickland this will be his first UFC title shot, coming in from two solid wins against a couple dangerous Middleweight strikers. This fight was kind of thrown together at the last minute with Strickland being the only other contender in the top five rankings Adesanya hasn’t faced, due to No.1 contender Dricus Du Plessis being injured in his last fight a few months ago. It’s hard to make a compelling case for the competitive nature of this fight, with the seeming huge gap in striking skill, but I believe Strickland, with the right adjustments, could make it more challenging than anyone would give him credit for.

Stand Up Phase:

Adesanya (SW) has a traditional kickboxer style where he uses a variety of kicks from both stances to attack his OPP at all levels before finding the chance to land accurate counters and combinations. His constant movement allows him to, defensively, remain out of range and use his height and reach to capitalize on minute opportunities. Strickland (OX) has a boxing based style with a somewhat “Philly Shell”-esque defensive stance. He uses heavy volume while pressuring into range to force his OPP to make errors before landing quick counters and combinations. Both have good movement that bolsters a solid defense. The sheer variety of Adesanya's striking will most likely put Strickland at heavy disadvantage due to Strickland being primarily a headhunter. Unless Strickland levels up his cardio, smothers Adesnaya’s range, and pushes an uncomfortably high pace while doubling or tripling his volume, his success on the feet seems unlikely. I predict Adesanya will batter Strickland from range with alternating leg kicks, high kicks, and body kicks before setting up chances to land accurate counters.

Clinch Phase:

Strickland will have to do his best work within the clinch if he wants to increase his chances of winning. However, this will be difficult due to Adesanya having probably the best TD defense in UFC Middleweight history along with being great at separating from the clinch. Strickland prefers to hold OPPs against the cage and land strikes in close. His smothering style does have the added effect of wearing down his OPPs cardio. Adesanya likes to maintain a thai clinch or fight for UHs to control his OPPs on the cage before separating back into space. He has shown the ability to use bodylock TDs and trips, but typically will only use those in rare cases. I predict if Strickland can constantly force Adesanya against the cage, smothering this movement and offense, he can frustrate him to the point of making a mistake and possibly secure a TD. At this point he can begin to wear down Adesanya with prolonged grappling exchanges.

Ground Phase:

Strickland has shown better competency on the ground defensively and offensively. He has good control from top position while continuing to land GnP. Adesanya is more capable defensively grappling compared to offense, but he has shown the ability to be active off his back with Sub Attempts. Adesanya primarily chooses to return to feet when on the ground unless he’s stunned the OPP and intends to secure the finish. I predict if Strickland can secure a TD he would most likely just hold Adesanya in a half guard or full guard position, landing GnP, and essentially not allowing Adesanya the chance to find the cage to get up or progress to a more neutral position.

Prediction: Adesanya wins by 2nd Round TKO

Adesanya has gone up against far more adept strikers and grapplers than Strickland up to this point and performed excellently in most of those cases. I predict Adesanya’s defensive grappling will be enough to stifle any attempts Strickland makes and force the fight into kickboxing range. Due to the limited striking variations of Strickland, Adesanya will be able to eventually find his timing and counter him effectively. Adesanya will either slowly break Strickland down with variety or catch him with a clean counter to set up a finish.

Abbreviations:

SW: Switch OX: Orthodox OPP: Opponent TD: Takedown UH: Underhook GnP: Ground and pound

"It is what it is."

TheNeet
TheNeet

09.09.2023 | 1:50 PM ET

Tai Tuivasa vs Alexander Volkov

This will be a clash of striking archetypes in this matchup between two high ranked UFC Heavyweight contenders. Tai Tuivasa gets a chance to break a two fight losing skid in his hometown and revamp his path towards a Heavyweight title shot. However, in his way is one of  the most solid and difficult tests in the Heavyweight division, Alexander Volkov. It will be interesting to see how the long range, accurate strikes of Volkov contend with the quick, devastating bombs of Tuivasa in his new role as the UFC’s KO King. Will Volkov notch another quick finish to extend to a three-win streak or will Tuivasa put another Heavyweight to rest in the Land Down Under?

Stand Up Phase:

Tuivasa (OX) has a brawler kickboxer style where he throws fast, heavy combinations and punishes his OPPs lead leg with leg kicks before cementing the finish. Volkov (OX) has a traditional kickboxer style where he uses his, often, height and reach advantage to land strikes from distance, punishing Teeps to the body, and well timed counter shots that stun his OPPs until he swarms to a finish. In this fight their kind of opposite in approach, Tuivasa the shorter, stocky fighter trying to close distance on the tall, distance managing fighter Volkov. One would assume Tuivasa has the clear power advantage given his past performances, but recently Volkov has been improving in his ability to find a quick finish with a solid right cross. For Tuivasa, his defensive movement will need to be on point. He can’t afford to absorb too many Teeps from Volkov since Tuivasa has shown a vulnerability to body strikes. I predict Tuivasa will use his movement and leg kicks to punish Volkov’s lead leg before finding opportunities to stance switch into a few quick boxing combinations. If given too much space, Volkov will simply sting Tuivasa from range until he breaks him down or controls him to a decision.

Clinch Phase:

For Tuivasa this might be really where the fight is won or lost. He has shown great control against the cage to stifle his OPPs attack and movement, then landing devastating  elbows and punches. Volkov uses his size advantage very well to prevent any kind of sustained attack in the clinch. He also probably has the best TD defense in the Heavyweight division. Volkov could use his leverage to prevent Tuivasa’s attempts to land strikes and control him to the point of breaking the clinch or landing knees to the body that could hurt Tuivasa. I predict Tuivasa will attempt to do his best work in the clinch by pressing Volkov against the cage and trying to land elbows and UCs to stun Volkov.

Ground Phase:

Volkov has shown to be the more competent grappler, showing a good ability to progress from inferior positions to neutral positions. He has shown ability to attack from his back, but he generally elects to find the cage and return to his feet. Tuivasa has shown to only be defensive when on the ground, doing whatever he can to return to the feet. Whenever he’s forced to be on the ground for extended periods, it typically ends in a Tuivasa loss. It might not be shocking if Volkov attempts to take the fight to the ground since it would be his easiest path to victory. He could maintain control of Tuivasa easily while landing heavy GnP from multiple positions with his long limbs.

Prediction: Tuivasa wins by 2nd Round TKO

I predict Tuivasa will be able to smother Volkov’s range and find chances to land some heavy counters. After stunning Volkov, Tuivasa will press him against the cage before finding the finish.

Abbreviations:

OX: Orthodox OPP: Opponent TD: Takedown GnP: Ground n pound UC: Uppercut

"It is what it is."

TheNeet
TheNeet

09.09.2023 | 1:51 PM ET

Carlos Ulberg vs Da Un Jung

This will be a decent Light Heavyweight matchup, however long it lasts, with the winner most likely getting a chance at Top 15 contender next. Ulberg is coming in hot with a 4-fight win streak, three of those coming by First Round TKO. He’s looking to gain another quick finish to propel him into opportunity at a Ranked OPP and finally breaking into the UFC rankings. Jung is coming in with back-to-back losses, looking for a chance to bounce back into the win column.

Stand Up Phase:

Ulberg (OX) has a traditional kickboxer style where he uses various kicks and his jab to keep distance before landing accurate strikes. Jung (OX) has a more boxer style with few kicks being used and chooses to remain in the pocket to land heavy combinations. Ulberg uses his constant movement to avoid heavy strikes and landing strong counters that have stunned nearly all his past UFC OPPs. Jung has good head movement that allows him to avoid strikes and counter quickly. Ulberg tends to keep his chin high which allows chances for OPP to land counters more easily. Jung tends to keep his hands down, allowing for jabs and high kicks to land more readily. I see Ulberg using his range and constant movement to land low kicks and jabs onto Jung. This will allow Ulberg to break Jung down before landing the finishing shot. If Jung becomes impatient, I could easily see him being countered by a check hook that Ulberg consistently throws. For Jung to be effective he would have to increase his strike volume and smother Ulberg’s range, forcing him into boxing range.

Clinch Phase:

Neither typically chooses to be offensive in the clinch to start out, but both have the ability to defend and counterattack. Ulberg has shown competent pummeling for underhooks and transitions to a body lock to secure TDs. Jung has very good TD defense against the cage, less so in open space. However, he’s shown a good ability to scramble and find dominant positions. Jung seems to have better strikes in the clinch, using his quick elbows to land heavy fight ending strikes. I see Jung attempting to smother Ulberg against the cage or possibly looking for trips if the striking exchanges are not going into his favor. If Jung can force Ulberg to defend TDs or focus on breaking the clinch, he can find opportunities to land some vicious elbows that can stun Ulberg.

Ground Phase:

Jung seems to be the more competent grappler on the ground between the two. He has decent control, electing to secure dominant position before attacking. However, Jung does seem to gas out more quickly when he is forced into prolonged grappling exchanges. Ulberg has spent most of his time on the ground landing GnP for the finish. He doesn’t seem to have good control, choosing to land strikes instead of keeping his OPP secured on the ground. I could see Jung using his control on the ground to slow down Ulberg’s offense and looking for Sub Attempts. However, he’ll have to be strategic about the usage of his grappling to not negatively affect his work on the feet.

Prediction: Ulberg wins by 1st Round TKO

I believe Ulberg’s ability to control range and his quick, accurate strikes will be enough to keep Jung at bay before finding chances for counters or setting up combinations for the finish. I don’t believe Jung’s offensive grappling is strong enough to be a threat to Ulberg and his style of fighting within boxing range will leave him vulnerable to long-range attacks.

Abbreviations:

OX: Orthodox OPP: Opponent TD: Takedown GnP: Ground n pound

"It is what it is."

KingOfBets
KingOfBets
  • Predictions:  364  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  53
  • Post Score: -143

09.09.2023 | 2:12 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 4240th

Remover comment thath GUY, him don't KNOW nothing
KingOfBets
KingOfBets
  • Predictions:  364  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  53
  • Post Score: -143

09.09.2023 | 2:14 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 4240th

Remover comment thath GUY, him don't KNOW nothing, (TheNeet) IS MY PET LIL *****
A moderator has publicly marked this as inappropriate. Please be respectful on Tapology otherwise suspensions may be levied.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,287  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,300
  • Post Score: 136

09.09.2023 | 2:14 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 1901st

Don't do that Admins hate spam..too much sodium.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

09.09.2023 | 2:22 PM ET

@KingOfBets 
if you spam the same post like that again, your account will be permanently suspended.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,287  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,300
  • Post Score: 136

09.09.2023 | 2:35 PM ET

Drake has sealed Izzys fate lmao

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 1901st

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

BELM0NT
BELM0NT

09.09.2023 | 2:44 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 4087th

@Joshjeffords 
That and the DK boost +100 doesnt make me feel good
foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,998
  • Post Score: 138

09.09.2023 | 2:47 PM ET

@Belmont

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 3175th

I think the DK boost is just a clever ploy to get people more interested in an otherwise lackluster PPV card. Boosting Izzy to +100 but limiting the bet to $25 is nothing to DK. 

Both things can be true here though. That still might be a stereo-typical bad Drake bet because the main event could end up going to a decision. 

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,669  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,523
  • Post Score: 13

09.09.2023 | 2:48 PM ET

KingofBets

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 1997th

Calm down and enjoy tapology for what it is 

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

BELM0NT
BELM0NT

09.09.2023 | 2:51 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 4087th

@foppa420 
I agree with that statement. I was thinking decision also. Its only +140. They say those Drake bets are fake anyway. Just promotes stake sports book
el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,423  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

09.09.2023 | 3:00 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 715 Points   |   Tied for 49th with 15 others

seems like Drake really likes Izzy. weirdos recognize weirdos ig
Squeakypuff
Squeakypuff
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  70.5%
  • Forum Posts:  484
  • Post Score: 149

09.09.2023 | 3:01 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 3175th

@el222 
Drake is the master of laying 500K worth of heavy chalk. 

"I'll make my own damn quote." -Me

el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,423  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

09.09.2023 | 3:04 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 715 Points   |   Tied for 49th with 15 others

he's also the master of acting like a fruitcup
InsertNameHere00
InsertNameHere00
  • Predictions:  2,600  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 186

09.09.2023 | 3:15 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 1030th

Adesanya vs. Strickland
Sean Strickland, SUB, R3
I genuinely believe that Sean Strickland will win, Adesanya of course on paper beats him cleanly in striking and likely will and could definitely TKO Sean, but Sean is a way better grappler than Izzy, will land a takedown or multiple, and MARVIN VETTORI HAD HIS BACK, just saying, Strickland round 3 RNC

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
Alexander Volkov, TKO, R2
Volkov will either smoke Tuivasa completely and win, Smoke Tuivasa get rocked at one point badly but still win, or smash Tuivasa completely before getting knocked out cold, I'll go with the first one

Kape vs. dos Santos
Manel Kape, TKO, R2
I cannot confidently go against Manel Kape but I'm also not confident in Manel Kape, yk?

Tafa vs. Lane
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
Either Tafa flatlines him or probably loses, I'll go with Tafa getting another highlight

Pedro vs. Turkalj
Anton Turkalj, SUB, R2
Correct me if I'm wrong but Tyson Pedro has never beat anyone with talent. Anton has some talent so on the ground he probably rips through him, Turkalj can't strike tho so that worries me

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
Ulberg is an animal and I'm gonna ignore this being potentially tough and say Ulberg runs through him, hype train all aboard

Jenkins vs. Mariscal
Jack Jenkins, TKO, R1
Chepe seemed really cool and powerful against Peek but the leg kicks I believe will cause him massive trouble here and Jack gets a early finish

Mullarkey vs. Makdessi
Jamie Mullarkey, DEC
Mullarkey should win but his chin may fall off again who knows, either he dies or wins 30-27

Haqparast vs. Quiñones
Nasrat Haqparast, TKO, R3
Idk what to say about this one, Quinones has almost no shot here against such an established guy but MMA is dumb so who knows

Mathetha vs. Radtke
Charles Radtke, SUB, R1
Never heard of Radtke but 10 fights coming off a sub win taking a guy's 0, and Blood diamond sucks so I'll go with (Reads Tapology Nickname) Chuck Buffalo?

Young vs. Miranda
Gabriel Miranda, SUB, R2
I'm not confident in this pick but bad weight miss for Shane Young I can't confidently pick him either

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kevin Jousset, TKO, R3
Crosbie coming off a win over Cowboy Oliveira is cool, but can't forget that he's very average, Jousset seems like a very interesting prospect I'm gonna ride with him here

OldFashion
OldFashion
  • Predictions:  13,695  |  71.8%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 100

09.09.2023 | 3:19 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 4149th

why are people so confident in Tafa? Dude hasn't beaten anyone good and doesn't have a lot of experience
Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,259  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  6,502
  • Post Score: -57

09.09.2023 | 3:21 PM ET

Modriguez

The UFC knows this is a hard PPV to sell.

So they increased the value by not putting on any WMMA fights

"Positivity is a positive"

Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,259  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  6,502
  • Post Score: -57

09.09.2023 | 3:23 PM ET

OldFashion

Surprised that everyone thinks Adesanya is winning by KO. I think a decision is most likely 

"Positivity is a positive"

Page 32

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Four Former Trials Winners Given Invites To ADCC 2024
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Hopes to ‘Finish His Story’ at UFC 302 with a Lightweight Title Victory Over Islam Makhachev
  • Bad Left Hook : Cameron splits with Matchroom, signs with Queensberry
  • MMA Junkie : William Gomis vs. Jean Silva scrapped from UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : William Gomis struggles to step on scale at UFC 301 weigh-ins, bout cancelled
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Cal Ellenor vs Niall Wilson
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter lands just one punch for 11-second knockout
  • Middle Easy : Dillon Danis Delivers X-Rated Retort After Paige VanZant Shreds Him on Social Media
  • MMAFighting.com : William Gomis struggles to step on scale at UFC 301 weigh-ins
  • MMA Junkie : Brendan Loughnane vs. Justin Gonzales headlines 2024 PFL 6 in South Dakota
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez hopes Alexandre Pantoja retains title at UFC 301: 'I want to fight the guy that beat me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor warns Ryan Garcia to get his head right: ‘I’m going to smash it in with elbows if you don’t’
  • MMA Mania : Tom Who? Jones Pursuing ‘Insane’ Pereira Fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 weigh-in results: Everyone hits marks in Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in results: Jose Aldo makes weight for final fight
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 main, co-main event official weigh-in highlights video
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC 301 weigh-in video LIVE now
  • MMA Mania : Ronda Won’t Play Rousey In Netflix Biopic