Topic: UFC 294

UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,124
  • Post Score: 47

03.16.2023 | 11:47 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 294
  • Saturday 10.21.2023 at 10:00 AM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Etihad Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier, Megan Olivi
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Hammerfists   3:06 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Khamzat Chimaev   defeats   Kamaru Usman   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Magomed Ankalaev   vs.   Johnny Walker   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Illegal Knee   3:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ikram Aliskerov   defeats   Warlley Alves   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee and Punches   2:07 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Said Nurmagomedov   defeats   Muin Gafurov   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Muhammad Mokaev   defeats   Tim Elliott   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:03 Round 3 of 3, 13:03 Total Bout Page
Trevor Peek   defeats   Mohammad Yahya   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Javid Basharat   vs.   Victor Henry   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Groin Kick to Henry   0:15 Round 2 of 3, 5:15 Total Bout Page
Sedriques Dumas   defeats   Abu Azaitar   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Breeden   defeats   Anshul Jubli   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   3:00 Round 3 of 3, 13:00 Total Bout Page
Muhammad Naimov   defeats   Nathaniel Wood   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Victoria Dudakova   defeats   Jinh Yu Frey   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Shara Magomedov   defeats   Bruno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Page 108

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki
  • Predictions:  1,205  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 159

10.23.2023 | 2:50 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 2515th

Thinking about this past weekend's fights. 
Was a really good card in general for entertainment.  If you came just for the main card you would have been very happy however the prelims were very difficult to get through. 

Yes, there were moments throughout the card that "entertained" but as a whole the fighting was all over the place. 
Numerous fouls and questionable decisions made it really a stop-and-go card. Gets really good but a foul would stop the momentum or lack of awareness of the foul that Dumas's hair pull was atrocious. Worse foul or none fighting moment has to be the ref telling Henry that he wasn't hit in the balls like damn you could see he was visibly in the shadow realm unwillingly. 

I think the biggest takeaway from the main event was that Islam had made better adjustments than Alex. Need to watch the fight again but one thing that was noticeable was that from the start Islam was planting those leg kicks if you watch Volk defended each leg kick the same with his guard almost pushing his forearms outwards as the body and leg kicks programmed him to look for the lower level leg kicks which left a gap for a high kick I am unsure if it was planned before or during the fight but was ana amazing gameplan by Islam. 

Very worried about Volk's post-fight press conference no fighter should be fighting if his mental state is compromised hope he gets the help and rest needed.

* Edited at 10.23.2023, 3:23 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki

10.23.2023 | 3:20 AM ET

Volk is not done in terms of high level fights as of yet as the circumstances was very different compared to the first. 

Only time will tell if he really is done however I think his next bout is definitely going to be more discussed than it was before.
This was the risk the UFC was playing with though as now you have a markey champ out for the next few months and the talk of Ilia in Jan is gone. 

I really think the UFC should do a Max vs Ilia for the interim belt and have Volk return at UFC 300 against the winner as I feel Volk needs the rest. 

* Edited at 10.23.2023, 3:22 AM ET *

"Confident to go in and not necessarily prove people wrong but to prove my support correct"

Byakuya Kuchiki
Byakuya Kuchiki

10.23.2023 | 4:11 AM ET

The last point I would like to know from everyone.

What the **** do we do about the fouls that are reoccurring more and more. 

I think this year especially fighters are doing it on purpose as they know a warning is coming at most until the third foul. I mean **** should coaches tell fighters to attempt one foul per round as refs won't penalize them. 

Besides the in-cage fouls, what about all these weight misses that just result in fighters being heavier and gaining an advantage over their opponent? 
Last week it was Christian Rodriguez and this week two fighters Mike Breeden and Victoria Dudakova both failed to make weight but won their bouts. Yes, they lose a percentage of their fight purse but long term they get length on their UFC run. We have seen fighters go 0-2 or 0-3 and released and losing via an opponent not coming as contracted should not just be swept under the rug. 

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,579  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,342
  • Post Score: 169

10.23.2023 | 5:00 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 2989th

@Byakuya Kuchiki 

The UFC has become more of a television show than a legitimate sports organization.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,287  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,300
  • Post Score: 136

10.23.2023 | 4:20 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 5128th

I can say at least one fight would have been different with a point deduction sad, "REFS, JUDGES, higher officials are not held to any standard"
UFC has zero power over them, blaming Dana, Hunter or the bus driver does nothing to solve that problem.
This card and the Mexico day one were super dirty in regards to cheating and bad reffing, which affected the outcomes.
Weight misses are not cheating, one they are penalized two **** happens and three I guess it is kinda cheating if done on purpose..

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,402  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,975
  • Post Score: 172

10.24.2023 | 12:07 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 4900th

Chimaev gets gifted a decision AND a #9 ranking as a UFC MW. That's after beating a WW that got the call on one weeks notice. if he beat Costa he would've been at #1, 2 at the lowest lol

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,413  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  807
  • Post Score: 96

10.24.2023 | 5:08 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 101st

He is 1 round fighter. I'd like to see him against Bobby Witakker
Vandal
Vandal

10.24.2023 | 7:03 AM ET

Gaethje won twice in 2023 against Fiziev and Poirier, Oliveira once against Dariush. Who gets next a title shot>?

then we have Gamrot and Dariush/Tsarukyan

* Edited at 10.24.2023, 7:20 AM ET *

PickemMMA
PickemMMA
  • Predictions:  2,936  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  580
  • Post Score: 52

10.24.2023 | 7:35 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 962nd

@Vandal 
Oliveira defended the belt and finished everyone in the top 5 so I think he deserves the title shot. Gaethji has already had his two chances at the belt and he was finished in both of those. Maybe they can do Gaethji vs Gamrot and winner gets the shot next after they do Oliveira vs. Islam
Vandal
Vandal

10.24.2023 | 8:01 AM ET

It seems right just if Tsarukyan finishes Dariush he jumps over Gamrot and I think Gaethje will wait and not fight 
GoatChael
GoatChael
  • Predictions:  303  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 153

10.24.2023 | 8:46 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 101st

I don‘t think Khamzat deserves a title shot at middleweight or to be ranked as the number one contender. That being said ranking him #9 with Jack Hermansson and Roman Dolidze being higher in the rankings than him seems kinda unjustified to me. In my opinion he should be ranked at #5 or #6. 
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

10.24.2023 | 10:00 AM ET

Re-watching the knockout, so clean I can't believe Volk did not go completely stiff, but I have to say this is a career changer, now that I'm thinking about it we've seen it happen with Usman, Volk needs time off. That was a vicious headkick. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Page 108

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith no longer 'blinded' by title goal before UFC 301: 'I'm almost carrying an anchor with me'