Tapology Forums

Mikey Tapology Boxing Corner!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,842  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,117
  • Post Score: 300

09.26.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

Alright folks, 

As you might know I'm Tapology Boxing editor. I know the majority of you guys are here for MMA, so was I originally. But for the last year or 2 there is a little more interest in Boxing on the site. 

So here's a place to talk boxing. 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Responses Page 24

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

11.22.2021 | 4:54 PM ET

@Mikey1903 Do you think Crawford vs Canelo will ever happen?

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

11.22.2021 | 4:55 PM ET

That fight will happen in 2036
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.22.2021 | 4:58 PM ET

@Mikey1903 You said Boxin' can be ****e alot of the time, but what about sports that are ****e all of the time? Like golf or football (soccer)

One sport I think is cool is table tennis, it takes alot of skill, I tried, im not that good

Well I have seen some good football(soccer) games but 95 to 99% of the time its crap with dives and cheap thrills

* Edited at 11.22.2021, 5:02 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

11.22.2021 | 5:09 PM ET

No, Crawford Canelo is never going to happen.  Not because of the usual politics ****. Canelo is fighting at 168lbs, his next fight is 200lbs!!! I expect Canelo to try settle at 175lbs.
Crawford is 147lbs, he started out at 135lbs. 154lbs would be Crawfords limit

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,313
  • Post Score: 285

11.22.2021 | 5:13 PM ET

@WastelandWanderer

Football isn't boring!!!!! In fact, there's quite a few players who really should've tried MMA instead lol!

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

11.22.2021 | 5:25 PM ET

I will never understand people's obsession with soccer. I've tried, I just don't get it.
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 5:36 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

The main reason is that despite it being just loads of passing most of the time, a great moment can suddenly happen at any time! It can also be extremely unpredictable at times as well with at least a couple of upsets every week in the major leagues. I suppose it's a much bigger deal in Britain than in other places around the world as it was the first sport I was introduced to and was basically the only sport that there were loads of clubs to play for as a kid. My primary and high schools I went to didn't really have any sports clubs due to underfunding but they still had football teams for each year group. 

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.22.2021 | 5:43 PM ET

I used to play football (soccer) with my Dad as a kid but after he died I stopped playing/lost interest somehow... Its funny cause everyone here worships football but the national team is pretty bad... In the 90s they were great since then all downhill... And everyone here worships the English clubs as their 2nd religion... If they put that same passion into martial arts it would really help it grow and martial arts/combat sports are epic, way better than other sports and hobbies... I did team sports but I prefer combat sports.... You get way more medals and trophies too for your display with combat sports than other sports or at least thats my own experience... 

* Edited at 11.22.2021, 5:47 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 5:48 PM ET

@WastelandWanderer

If MMA is ever going to become as big as football, it would take decades for it to happen. For instance, I'm the first member of my family to be interested in MMA and the rest of my family only know MMA exists because of me. As for football? I went to games as a kid. My dad went to games as a kid. My grandad climbed over the stadium walls unnoticed to watch games as a kid. Football is a passion that runs back generations and is very much an integral part of British culture.

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.22.2021 | 5:59 PM ET

Yeah thats true football (soccer) was born in England, here everyone likes soccer (football) and Gaelic football/hurling, its part of the culture too etc..... Maybe if the pay was better you would see more cross over from mainstream sports, but I think MMA/combat sports is like Jazz, its not for everyone or the full mainstream.... And combat sports has been part of British culture too, modern Freestyle Wrestling rules has its roots in English Catch Wrestling, and Irish Collar and Elbow had some influence on Catch Wrestling if you look into it.... And these 2 styles helped turn America into the Wrestling power house it is today but this is forgotten history

Thats not even mentioning the bareknuckle prize fighters and boxers who have a long history there also... Then there is Bartitsu, and Judo/Jiu Jitsu goes back in England a long time

* Edited at 11.22.2021, 6:02 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 6:08 PM ET

@WastelandWanderer

That's true that various forms of combat sports, particularly boxing go back a long way over here but they never really got as popular or at least, stayed as popular as football. From what I gather, boxing used to almost rival football in terms of popularity back in the 60's but for various reasons became less popular over the years while football has continued to grow.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

11.22.2021 | 6:16 PM ET

I can't get past the foul-milking thing. It's absolutely ridiculous.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.22.2021 | 6:16 PM ET

Yeah and football is more friendly than combat sports end of the day getting punched/punching/kicking or being thrown or doing submissions isn't for everyone... Many people just want something basic, like football or basketball, or volleyball, or athletics..... Its pretty cool to think though that thousands of people used to watch grappling matches (Collar and Elbow/Catch Wrestling/Greco Roman) here and in UK/other areas in around the 1800s.. That only happens in America or Iran now... Maybe Russia or India too not sure

* Edited at 11.22.2021, 6:18 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 6:22 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

Yeah, the whole diving and faking injury thing sucks but that's just one of the things that you have to put up with being a football fan.

FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,508  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,551
  • Post Score: 236

11.22.2021 | 6:24 PM ET

I feel like that doesn't fly in any other sport though. It used to be a big issue in basketball but now the NBA has serious fines for it. Also the fans should be shaming and mocking people for it more

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

@FistyMcKickerChoke

The fans do hate it.....unless it's one of their team's players doing it and they succeed in winning a free kick/penalty in which case you won't hear them say anything. 

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

11.22.2021 | 7:11 PM ET

It's funny you say that about diving. Like I mentioned earlier, I travelled to Dundee to watch Aberdeen play(my dad invited, 1st time I've been in years used to be a regular but have drifted away from football).
There was an incident between the teams, our main striker squared up to the opposition defender and I swear he flicked his hand out and out striker, who my dad was earlier telling me about how big and strong he was, flopped to his back holding his face like he'd been uppercut by Big Franky Ngannou!!!  The opponent was sent off, all our fans celebrated and me, I thought that it was pathetic!!! I turned to my dad and said that I can't celebrate that ****!!! Haha

Man, I used to LOVE football. Played for many teams as a kid, school team, club team. Every day and night I played! Travelled the country playing. Discovered women and lost the desire to play! But still supported my local team, regularly went to games, also travelled the country watching them.  I watched football like I watch fight nowadays. I was mad about statistics, transfers, squads, league tables, results. All that has transferred to MMA & Boxing.
About 5 years ago I just stop caring as much, the past few years I have practically lost all interest 

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

11.22.2021 | 7:29 PM ET

Posted this in the wrong thread but anyway yeah, give Rugby League a shot--State of Origin. Just the three games of the year.

* Edited at 11.22.2021, 7:32 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

11.22.2021 | 7:31 PM ET

"Discovered women and lost the desire to play!" - @Mikey1903

I like to think there's an alternative universe where you're a professional footballer who's notorious for turning down women to focus on his game. Consequently, us folks on Tapology remain almost oblivious to the world of boxing!

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

11.22.2021 | 7:32 PM ET

And women.

Page 24

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55