Topic: St-Pierre vs. Shields

St. Pierre vs. Shields Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,525
  • Post Score: 60

01.04.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

This is the official prediction commentary thread for St. Pierre vs. Shields. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

Shields is badass, but he's not GSP.

"Be strong / be wrong"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.05.2011 | 3:21 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

GSP's on another level and he'll prove it again. Not only with his jab, but his right cross and SUPERIOR GRAPPELING! While GSP always says he fights people where they are weakest i think he'll prove a point sometime throughout the fight that he has better takedowns and is better on the ground.

it was a while ago but watch the Shields/Daley fight from a couple years ago, he had a hell of a time getting Daley to the ground until round 2, took an ass whoopin', and finally locked in an arm bar. if he had a hard time taking Daley down, there is almost no chance he's getting GSP down.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.05.2011 | 5:11 AM ET

Yeah GSP is tough to takedown I cant see him losing this fight, would love to see him finish off Sheilds with a submission!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.05.2011 | 5:33 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

GSP will be way to much for jake

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.05.2011 | 5:38 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

this fights outcome depends on gsp's ability to stay standing AND if he does take jake down, staying out of Shields' Submissions...gsp, isnt threatened on the feet, and he's enough of a strategist to know not to take shields down where he has a chance...gsp via another decision

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

bklettke
bklettke

01.05.2011 | 5:51 AM ET

typically yes, but are shields submissions something to avoid? i mean he had Hendo on his back and mounted for like 4 rounds and how many times did he attempt a submission? (i have to rewatch this fight now to see)
same goes for his fights with Mayhem and Kampman. I believe Lawlor would've KO'd him had he not been dumb enough to push Jake against the cage to. IDK, it sounds like i am a huge Jake Shields hater, which i am not, the guy is a stud, but i don't think he's fought near the level of competition GSP or any other UFC welterweight has. I think he should've had to fight BJ, Fitch, Condit (2nd time) or even Ellenberger before he got a title shot....
jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 5:58 AM ET

completely agree that he didn't do enough to deserve title shot, but about his submissions, i must respectfully disagree... shields is an animal, training at cesar gracie jiu jitsu for so long definitely makes him upper echelon in submissions skills for welterweights...but his standup, has proved by hendo, isn't up to par yet...which gsp should be able to use against him

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

SlackBrian
SlackBrian
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  95
  • Post Score: 81

01.05.2011 | 6:03 AM ET

Shields' submissions are definitely something to avoid.  His last three fights have been an anomaly, I feel, compared the rest of his career.  Against Kampmann he was suffering from a disasterous weight cut and looked completely sluggish.  His fault completely, to be sure, but he was in terrible condition and he still won.  Given the time to correct his mistakes and prepare for the title fight, Shields should be in top condition coming into the fight with GSP.  It is true that against Henderson, Shields wasn't posing an active submission threat, but he completely dominated an accredited wrestler in Henderson on the ground AFTER being destroyed in the standup in the first round.  People give Frankie Edgar a lot of credit for regaining his senses after the beating he took against Maynard in the first round, while rarely do I see people giving the same credit to Shields for what he did against Henderson.  Prior to his last three fights, Shields had finished 8 fights in a row. He is a legit high-level black belt who trains at with some of the best grapplers available. If the submission is there, he will get it. 

Now, after all that, I would still pick GSP via a decisive victory.  But to say GSP will outclass Shields on the ground is a little over the top.

"Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to f**k your girlfriend." - Cracked

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 6:12 AM ET

completely agree ^^^

bklettke
bklettke

01.05.2011 | 6:30 AM ET

A lot of people said the same thing about GSP out classing BJ Penn on the ground too....

SlackBrian
SlackBrian
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  95
  • Post Score: 81

01.05.2011 | 7:15 AM ET

And Penn is a natural lightweight...

"Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to f**k your girlfriend." - Cracked

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

01.05.2011 | 7:30 AM ET

If gsp maintains top control. He won't have to worry about shields subs. but gsp is smart enough not to make any mistakes.I think the reason why shields got the title shot so soon is that the ufc didn't have anyone good to fight gsp except shields.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 8:49 AM ET

shields got the quick title shot via the "other promotions great free agent" deal...same thing happened with rampage, woulda happened with cro cop, brock lesnar gotta quickie shot, shogun woulda got a faster one-but forrest delayed him, anderson silva had 1 fight pre title shot, and now shields is up....also, about jake shields, the man is a wizard on the ground. wouldn't need a submission off his back, necessarily, because he has great jiu jitsu he could sweep gsp and get on top..not completely farfetched to me...i even anticipate shields doing that once or twice early before gsp learns not to go to the ground and dominates on the feet after that.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

01.05.2011 | 9:20 AM ET

Silva proved he deserved the belt unlike lesnar

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 9:23 AM ET

same rule tho...the 1 win to a title shot...happens to all hyped newcomers...yet, they take the snails route with george sotiropolos, jon jones, and jim miller...ufc vets...hmmm

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

01.05.2011 | 9:47 AM ET

To be fair to Jake Shields, none of those guys have 15 fight win streaks against quality opposition.  Also, those guys dont fight at 170 or 185, where there has been a dominant champion for years, who Zuffa has to struggle to find new oppositon for.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 9:50 AM ET

i get that, but i would've loved to see him fight gsp IF he had been just a lil' bit impressive in his ufc debut..kampmann is tough, i get that, but if u can't do better than he did against him, how is the public supposed to believe he has any shot against the greatest welterweight?

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

01.05.2011 | 9:56 AM ET

Well, to be fair, nobody has a shot at GSP.  Let's put that out there right now, St. Pierre is dominant and a long way passed the Matt Serra fluke; if anyone is going to beat him, they are going to do so as a MASSIVE underdog.  So bringing Shields in with his resume is probably the best way to make someone appear like a worthy challenger.  Also, I like to think that the Kampmann performance was a product of Shields making the cut to Welter for the first time in a couple years.  That may be wishful thinking on my part, but I still think Shields is the best option they have for GSP right now aside from Jon Fitch, who is probably going to have to kill a man in the cage in order to get a title shot at this point.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.05.2011 | 10:02 AM ET

if fitch beats penn, he probably is next in line...if fitch STOPS penn, he's numero uno no doubts about it!! shields is the best hope for anyone thinking gsp will be beaten before he's retired, but it all depends on whether shields can do what no one has done, takedown gsp more than once AND be effective in keeping him there and making him pay...that is about as likely as me winning the next $1000 tapology giveaway....or the lotto, either one...lol

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

01.05.2011 | 10:09 AM ET

Lol, yea, great point, it's tough to believe that guys who need to be on top to win (Shields and Fitch) are going to be able to beat GSP.  St-Pierre has a striking advantage on both guys, and is the more dominant wrestler.  I am interested in seeing how Shields' wrestling stacks up with GSP's.  It seems entirely possible that this fight could look a lot like the Koscheck or Fitch fights if Shields can't secure a takedown, which I'm assuming he won't be able to do.  At this point I'm looking at it logically, however, I'm sure as the fight draws near, I'll be all geeked up and excited like a 12 year old girl who got a pony for her birthday, because of how long I've been waiting for this fight.  Remember, people thought Dan Henderson was a terrible style match up for Shields too, and he found a way...

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• LFA 182 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Shad Walters vs. Nicholas Gjelaj - The fight is over! Round 1 finish!
  • Join the LFA 182 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Shad Walters 78% Nicholas Gjelaj 22%
  • "The Relentless" Shad Walters (3-0-0) IL, US is the #82nd Pro Mens Featherweight in US Midwest.
  • Nicholas "Jedi" Gjelaj (1-1-0) NM, US is the #193rd Pro Mens Flyweight in United States.
  • LFA 182 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota