Topic: St-Pierre vs. Shields

St. Pierre vs. Shields Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,593  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,544
  • Post Score: 60

01.04.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

This is the official prediction commentary thread for St. Pierre vs. Shields. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.05.2011 | 10:44 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

hahaha, love the jon fitch having to kill a man comment! CLASSIC, but its true. Unless he decisively beats BJ i don't see him getting another shot. Certainly not before GSP moves up to fight anderson, barring he gets by Shields (trying not to jinx myself) I mean think about it, who is up for GSP that he hasn't already fought in the UFC, Condit, Ellenberger, Lytle..... all of these guys have glaring weaknesses in wrestling. I don't care what hype Fitch or Alves says, the second time is going to look like the first, and maybe even more dominant. i'm so sick of hearing those guys say they know how to fight GSP now.... well then you should've done it the first ******* time!

Bottom line is i will be nervous as hell when GSP fights because i am his biggest nuthugger, but he will destroy Shields worse than he has his previous opponents. I see GSP getting flashy on his feet again and finally getting his overdue finish.

SlackBrian
SlackBrian
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  95
  • Post Score: 81

01.05.2011 | 4:30 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

GSP will be dominant in this fight, this I agree with.  But I don't think it will be a whitewash.  I expect Shields to threaten with his ground game, but not actually achieve anything from it.  GSP will win the stand up handily, but Shields is not easy to finish (hence my decision prediction).  Like above, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shields get a sweep once or twice before GSP decides to keep it standing the remainder of the fight, which is where he'll dominate from there on out.

As for Fitch/Penn.... no one has more of a claim to a title shot then Fitch, but with so little fan support behind it.  Fitch just wins, that's all he does (except against GSP).  Even if his fights are dull and grinding, there gets to be a point where you have to give him his second shot before this seems biased against him.  This is a sport, and winners should be rewarded, no matter how they win.  Given that, this is exactly why I am cheering for Penn, since I would much rather see GSP/Penn III than GSP/Fitch II.  At least the Penn fight has lingering history behind it.  But my head still says to pick Fitch and his stifling style.

"Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to f**k your girlfriend." - Cracked

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

01.05.2011 | 4:58 PM ET

GSP is going to finish this fight. This is a showcase to get him a big win in Tarantino.
SlackBrian
SlackBrian
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  95
  • Post Score: 81

01.05.2011 | 6:01 PM ET

Certainly possible, especially if he can accumulate enough damage on Shields over multiple rounds, to the point where Shields can't defend himself.  That's the best way I see GSP finishing this fight.  I don't think he'll catch Shields, because even if he does, I think Shields will recover quickly.  I think a four-round beatdown that leaves Shields exhausted to the point where he can no longer defend himself is the likely finish, should that happen.

Also, the Tarantino Maple Leaves are my favourite ice hockey squadron.

"Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to f**k your girlfriend." - Cracked

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

01.05.2011 | 6:58 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I would love to see GSP grapple with Shields and test their JJ against each other, however, repeatedly GSP says that he will fight his opponent wherever they are the weakest.  I predict GSP will sprawl to avoid the takedown and feed Shields his jab for five rounds ala Kos and win a dominant decision. 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.06.2011 | 7:19 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

i believe gsp will stand with shields for 3 rounds, trying hard to damage shields much more with power shot. then in the 4th round, i see shields completely overlooking gsp's great takedowns, and gsp would then take down a weakened shields and tries to then pass and beat him up from the dominant position..maybe even going for submissions if their there...but i still see shields being tough enough to last to a u.d. loss

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.06.2011 | 10:12 AM ET

shields is better than gsp on the ground so how are all u giving it to gsp if thats his main thing .... shields will rip his ass to the ground & win a decision or maybe get a submission.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.06.2011 | 10:13 AM ET

have you ever seen how hard it is to actually takedown GSP thiagosilva9794???

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

bklettke
bklettke

01.06.2011 | 10:54 AM ET

i don't see shields getting a sweep on GSP or submitting him. GSP rolls with high level black belt year long in strictly BJJ just like Shields does. the only way i can see Jake winning is if he by some miracle gets a takedown when he is fresh in the 1st round, when neither guy is sweaty. GSP will finish this fight and i think it'll be on the ground, weather its TKO or submission. How many guys are better at GSP in an area. BJ was better on the ground, Kos and Hughes were both better wrestlers, Alves was a better striker????? None of those happened..... Every time GSP fights somone they "will exploit his weakness where they are better than him". Ever since GSP got his head on his shoulders he has proven every fighter wrong at their strongest and weakest traits and he will continue to do this. . . . what can i say though, i'm just a nuthugger ;)

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.06.2011 | 11:29 AM ET

koscheck took him down twice ?

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.06.2011 | 11:29 AM ET

and how long did he stay there?

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

jersey0525
jersey0525

01.06.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

gsp has all the tools imaginable...AND he's got the top strategist in the game today in jacksons! i dont see him losing this fight, but IF he would, i think it would be in a scramble submission caused by a serra like power shot....but thats REALLY specific...but could happen.

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

bklettke
bklettke

01.07.2011 | 5:30 AM ET

POWER SHOT from Shields??? I don't see that one happening.... it'd be like the second coming of christ! now watch GSP hit the floor like a ragdoll because i just said that
jersey0525
jersey0525

01.07.2011 | 6:03 AM ET

i think the chances are next to nil that he does POWER shot him, but, he's been knowing since basically october that barring a 'kos' miracle he'd be fighting gsp...and he knows like we know that gsp does his homework and likes to stay away from opponents strengths...which i think we can all agree is his ground game...so shields knows that, barring him being able to take gsp down consistently, the fight is gonna stay on the feet mostly...so knowing this, jake shields has probably been working strikes, strikes, and more strikes...just saying its possible

Black House Fan
Black House Fan
  • Predictions:  5  |  40.0%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 107

02.13.2011 | 5:33 AM ET

Grappling neutralized, GSP dominates stand up. Shields shows heart & cannot be KO'd. Unanimous decision St. Pierre. Both men have strong wrestling & grappling. Jake Shields has inferior stand up by far with no KO power (Poor stand up against last two opponents Kampmann & Henderson). Shields only hope is to put GSP on his back which cannot be done (Koscheck could not & Kos is high profile wrestler). Shields last fights against Martin Kampmann showed no improvement on striking, but showed great grappling. Shields was gassed in that 170lbs bout, but had put on a lot of muscle to defend his belt at 185lbs against Dan Henderson. Henderson could not put Shields away in the first even though Shields legs buckled 2-3 times in round one. In rounds 2-5 Shields dominated with grappling & putting Henderson on his back. GSP will dominate the stand up (as in fight against Josh Koscheck (Good grappler/OK striker with KO power) with strict/technical boxing with low probability of loosing takedowns/grappling. GSP will not over commit to finish/ KO Shields, but will hurt him throughout the fight. A lot of Jabs once again.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.07.2011 | 5:49 PM ET

GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP

"Frig off, bud"

infectedtruth
infectedtruth
  • Predictions:  855  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 0

03.18.2011 | 10:31 PM ET

Enter Your Comments »
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

03.18.2011 | 11:28 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Decision  

Looks like Im in the vast minority but I see Shields grinding this one out maybe even pulling off a sub

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

kopower
kopower
  • Predictions:  1,489  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 105

03.18.2011 | 11:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

GSP should dominate Shields. Shields should gas by the 3rd and GSP will finish him. I've never bought into the hype of Shields.
Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.19.2011 | 2:25 AM ET

lol at thaigosilva9794

you really think shields is that good on the ground? he would have been subed by mayhem if it went 10 more seconds

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • Austin Hubbard vs. Michal Figlak - Round 1 is complete. Round 2 coming up.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Austin Hubbard 28% Michal Figlak 71%
  • Austin "Thud" Hubbard (15-7-0) CO, US is the #201st Top Lightweight MMA fighter.
  • Michal "Mad Dog" Figlak (8-1-0) England, GB is the #196th Top Lightweight MMA fighter.
  • UFC Fight Night features 13 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada