Topic: St-Pierre vs. Shields

St. Pierre vs. Shields Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,552  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

01.04.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

This is the official prediction commentary thread for St. Pierre vs. Shields. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

cdizzle
cdizzle
  • Predictions:  2,769  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

04.11.2011 | 4:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

GSP will win via doctor stopage in the 4th round. Book it
jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

04.11.2011 | 10:25 PM ET

agree...if there was ever a fight that GSP should finish it's this one.  I call 4th round KO/TKO.  I think he will pick him apart and finish him in the 4th.  He is due for a big finish and no better place than my hometown.

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.11.2011 | 10:43 PM ET

I don't think anyone should assume Shields is easy to finish. Despite the holes in his game he has only been finished once in his entire career. Even though I'm picking GSP to finish I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this fight sees the final horn. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

JujitsWho
JujitsWho
  • Predictions:  8  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

04.11.2011 | 10:59 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

Another W for GSP. Should be a good match-up.
Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

04.11.2011 | 11:23 PM ET

GSP will win by whatever he wants! anyone who thinks differently needs to get their head checked!

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

04.12.2011 | 9:38 AM ET

I don't think Shields is a cake walk by any means and to be honest will pose the most threat if he can get in a dominant position.  I just don't think Shields will be able to stand against GSP and to be honest I think he will have another dominant performance.  The reality is the game plan and GSP has a way of breaking all of his opponents will....seen it with Hardy, KOS, Fitch, Alves, Penn....the list goes on.  Now we all know that anything can happen in the world of MMA i.e. Serra knocking GSP out.  I'm just looking forward to the fight and think that it will be exciting.  I don't think that Shields will be able to fight his fight and will be interested in seeing how he adjusts.

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

jlloydbjj
jlloydbjj
  • Predictions:  859  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

04.12.2011 | 12:51 PM ET

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130622273
check out Jake Shilds. bet he wants to take GSP down. lol
joel
joel
  • Predictions:  22  |  63.6%
  • Post Score: 0

04.13.2011 | 6:20 AM ET

gsp vs anderson next oh yeah!
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

04.16.2011 | 12:18 AM ET

Shields' striking sucks. GSP doesn't care about the fans and he might not push the pace enough to get a finish, but I think Shields' bad striking will be a bigger hole than GSP's lack of finishing effort, so I'll take a slight risk and pick a tko here.

"We Are All One"

danilosantos
danilosantos
  • Predictions:  740  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 142

04.17.2011 | 11:22 AM ET

Both guys like to have control of the fight. Shields will try to take the fight to the ground, because I not think he can knock out GSP. In turn, GSP will do what it always do, try standing a few blows and if the fight goes to the ground, will try to stay on top and use his ground and pound to hurt Shields. The only way to Shields beat GSP, in my opinion, is taking the fight to the ground, trying to stay on top and dominate the fight to win by decision. Or try a submission, perhaps with an armbar ...

"blogmmabrasil.wordpress.com - All the best UFC fights in one place!"

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

04.17.2011 | 7:34 PM ET

St. Pierre is a better version of Shields in almost every aspect of mma. I think Shields is too tough for St. Pierre to finish unless he gets cause so i think another UD is in store.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

pajos
pajos
  • Predictions:  7  |  71.4%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 33

04.21.2011 | 12:06 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Enter Your Comments »
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.21.2011 | 1:20 PM ET

I think GSP is gonna continue to use his jab in this fight and not look for quite so many TDs so he can keep the game away from Shields' strength...If Jake doesn't get this fight to the ground I see it being a pretty one-sided decision

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

04.21.2011 | 3:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

This will look like GSP vs Serra 2.
kback10
kback10
  • Predictions:  12  |  66.7%
  • Post Score: 100

04.21.2011 | 3:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Upset
Thisisaedan
Thisisaedan
  • Predictions:  1,497  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 9

04.23.2011 | 11:26 AM ET

Neither man is underestimating one another. GSP won't finish Shields, as he will play cautious with such a huge threat. I see GSP actually losing a round for the first time in 3 years and will probably drop round 2 or 3 but will earn the decision. GSP decision after a hard fought battle with Jake Shields.
raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

04.25.2011 | 10:14 AM ET

This truly is a magnificent fight. GSP is on an eight-fight win streak, six of which have been for the title. Shields owns a 15-fight streak himself with bouts in both Middleweight and Welterweight divisions. He hasn't lost since 2004 - GSP since 2007. Shields poses a legitimate threat and is the first fighter that GSP has faced in years that may actually have an advantage somewhere (possibly the ground game). However, St. Pierre will be far superior on the feet and should be able to keep fight off the ground. GSP retains the title with a tough decision win.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

barochoc
barochoc
  • Predictions:  808  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 139

04.25.2011 | 11:38 AM ET

GSP will dictate the pace & where the fight goes!

It's really as simple as that for me. Some people might believe that Shields BJJ is so superior that he'll finish GSP on the ground if it goes there. I don't think so. There's less than a 1% chance GSP will make a mistake on the ground & that will be the only chance Shields will get. I believe if that mistake is made Shields will be too overwhelmed to even see the opportunity. 
Shields is an extremely though opponent & not to be taken lightly. GSP believes it's the biggest fight of his career so there's no way GSP won't be 100% ready & focused to wear & tear Shields to a stoppage. That's How I see it. GSP's boxing has come on leaps & bounds. He'll be using that jab again no doubt. His KO power is questionable but several successive unanswered strikes gets you a TKO & I believe that's the most likely outcome. Either standing or ground & pound.   
Don't write GSP off for pulling off a sub victory if the opportunity arises. It will definitely silence the GSP haters & critics, but most of all it will cement GSP as unquestionably the greatest 170Lbs MMA fighter on the planet.

This is MMA however & possibly the most unpredictable sport on the planet at times & there's ALWAYS the chance of an upset. Imagine a GSP v Serra scenario again? I'd imagine if this happened there'd be an immediate rematch mentioned & then who knows. I'm looking forward to this & I'm prepared for any outcome but my money would be on GSP. Odds are too short so I won't be taking that bet :)

"Better to burn out than to fade away!"

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

04.25.2011 | 12:32 PM ET

i honestly think this is an easier fight for him than the hardy fight. againts hardy there was always a decent chance of gsp getting knocked out if hardy landed. there really isnt that type of threat with shields. if shields has an advantage at all its in his jitz and i dont even think its that great of an advantage. gsp's wrestling is far superior, does shields even train with any high level wrestlers? 
i just see this fight being an easy 5 round boxing match for gsp.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

runrunshaw
runrunshaw
  • Predictions:  4,795  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  186
  • Post Score: 138

04.25.2011 | 12:33 PM ET

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but, I think the longer this stays standing the more confidence Jake will gain. if Jake fells like GSP can't knock him out, then Jake will start taking chances. I think GSP is gonna work his TD's and GnP, maybe even let Jake up just to take him down again.

I'm hoping to see GSP throwing superman punches and flying knees.

I'm not writing Jake off in this fight, I think this will be a close one.

"R18"

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Oliveira Thought Tsarukyan ‘Went Out’ In Late Choke Attempt
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Relive all of Conor McGregor's octagon wins in full before UFC 303 return
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen: Alex Pereira can become MMA GOAT if he wins UFC heavyweight title
  • MMA Mania : ‘Undeserving’ Harrison ‘Ran Away From Pacheco And Cyborg’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal face off in front of rowdy Miami crowd
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heads to Louisville for Fight Night card on June 8
  • Bad Left Hook : Zayas vs Teixeira headlines June 8 ESPN show in New York
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Askren: Jamahal Hill's ego 'put him in harm's way' vs. Alex Pereira at UFC 300
  • MMA Mania : ‘F—k It!’ PFL Steroid Gate Result Of ‘Chance To Gain Financial Stability’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 adds 2 more fights for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Women's Strawweight Division | April 2024
  • UFC.com : All Of Conor McGregor's UFC Wins
  • MMAFighting.com : Diaz vs. Masvidal Miami press conference video
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Topuria, Chandler, Nickal, Prochazka, De La Hoya in studio, Perry, and Xiaonan now
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski: UFC 300 proved Max Holloway never lost it, has 'always been that good'
  • MMA Mania : Sterling ‘Was Probably Done’ With A Loss At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video replay: Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal Miami press conference
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal Miami press conference live stream (6:30 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry claims Darren Till turned down ‘over $2 million’ offer to fight him: ‘What is he doing?’ 
  • UFC.com : The Evolution Of The Third Street Savage | UFC FIGHT PASS