Main Event | UFC Welterweight Championship | 170 lbs
Georges St. Pierre defeats Jake Shields via 5 Round Decision
|21-2-0||Pro Record At Fight||26-4-1|
|Climbed to 22-2||Record After Fight||Fell to 26-5|
|-500 (Heavy Favorite)||Betting Odds||+350 (Moderate Underdog)|
|Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Fighting out of||San Francisco, California|
|29 years, 11 months, 4 days||Age at Fight||32 years, 3 months|
|169.5 lbs (76.9 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||169.0 lbs (76.7 kgs)|
|5'11" (180cm)||Height||6'0" (183cm)|
|76.0" (193cm)||Reach||72.0" (183cm)|
|Tristar Gym||Gym||Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields
- Date: Saturday 04.30.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Herb Dean
- Venue: Rogers Centre
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Bout Billing: Main Event (fight 12 of 12)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- St. Pierre Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Shields Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Title on Line: UFC Welterweight Championship
- Belt Status Before Fight: Held by St. Pierre
St. Pierre vs. Shields Wiki Update Wiki
The UFC's otherwise-extraordinary 129 show from the Rogers Center in Toronto ended on a flat note when Georges St-Pierre and Jake Shields fought to an uneventful 5 round decision. While St-Pierre once again demonstrated his ability to outclass the world's best 170 pounders without placing himself in significant danger, his fourth straight victory without a stoppage failed to ignite the largest live audience in the promotion's history.
Widely considered the game's premier strategist, St-Pierre once again had fans wondering how he would elect to engage with Shields, the BJJ-oriented specialist with a significant standup disadvantage. The answer proved straightforward as St-Pierre kept the fight on the feet, peppering Shields with a stiff jab out of the gate and offering no surprises or misdirection. The first two rounds settled into Shields taking the worse of cautious exchanges. St-Pierre would land and dart away as Shields looked increasingly unsure of how to proceed.
The prospect of a finish looked promising for St-Pierre until a solid jab from Shields to the left eye of St-Pierre damaged the champion's eyeball, obscuring his vision and changing the course of the fight. Wholly unable to see out of his left eye, St-Pierre withdrew into a shell for the remaining three rounds. He informed his corner of the damage and head trainer Greg Jackson instructed him to simply fight on. With his depth perception impaired, St-Pierre turned cautious in his strikes. He also began mixing in takedowns to keep Shields at bay, proving in the process that he could take the former Strikeforce champion down at will but had elected not to. But Shields began to have real success on the injured champion. He continued to take worse than he gave, but was landing jabs of his own that were doing damage.
By midway through the fourth both men were bloodied, Shields from the nose and mouth and St-Pierre from the bridge of his nose. The action, however, was failing to boil over as Shields refused to press and GSP refused to endanger himself for a finish. The crowd grew restless as the fifth played out in similar fashion, with Shields having perhaps his best round of the fight on a champion that had clearly decided to play it safe and retain his title for another day.
The scores were read out as 50-45, 48-47 and 48-47 for the reigning champion, Georges St-Pierre, who apologized for his failure to finish yet again to a sympathetic home crowd. While the 50-45 scorecard saw it otherwise, the majority scorecards snapped GSP's extraordinary streak of 30 straight rounds won in a row, giving the challenger from team Cesar Gracie not one, but two rounds on the night and something of a moral victory. Unfortunately for Shields, he failed to take the sort of significant risks on the night that would get the champion down to the canvas, where Shields could use his best weapons to try to finish.
St. Pierre vs. Shields Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Promo Video | UFC Primetime: St-Pierre vs. Shields Episode 1 report dead link
Episode 1 of the UFC's multi-part promotional video for the Main Event of UFC 129, GSP vs. Jake Shields.
St. Pierre vs. Shields Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Last night in SB and I'm bartending at EOS Lounge for Cinco de Mayo. Dont order anything too fancy lol #fb http://twitpic.com/4tubxl
- 5 days
- Last night was fun. Big thx to guys at Sandbar. Now it's time for butterfly beach. See you there #fb
- 4 days
- Headed down to Santa Barbara with @mikerays for a couple days to kick back on the beach. Nice day here in CA #fb
- 3 days
- I am so lucky my BJJ instructor Bruno Fernandes is an ophtamologist!!! I'll be in good hands!!!
- 23 hours
- Hey guys just want to say that I am ok. I'll need to see a doctor in the next days! Yesterday I was told it was not a retina problem
- 23 hours
- Hey everybody, leaving the hospital soon, just finished all my eye tests, I still don't see anything from my left eye but I'll be find
- 11 hours
- Pour mes fans au Québec, voyez UFC 129 en direct sur INDIGO dès 21h, positions 301 ou 750 HD sur Vidéotron. Commandez-le maintenant!
- 4 hours
- COUNTING DOWN THE HOURS!!! Thank you to ALL my trainers, @getrip60 & @GSPRUSHFIT for preparing me for tomorrow!
- 19 hours
- #FIGHTWEEK HOOKUP: my FREE mobile app is now available for Android. http://bit.ly/lqJErs
- 3 days
- Getting my SUIT on for pre and post #UFC129 interviews with GOTSTYLE in Toronto. http://on.fb.me/hT35ad
- 3 days
- I got tailored suit yesterday to help me look good. Thanks to GOTSTYLE. If you're in Toronto go see them at www.gsmen.com
- 4 days
- All my Bay Area friends and fans are meeting at Parlor SF on Sat to watch the fights so head there! #fb http://twitpic.com/4pkey9
- 5 days
- All my Bay Area friends and fans are meeting at Parlor SF on Sat to watch the fights so head there! http://twitpic.com/4pkey9
- 5 days
- Want to thank the sponsors who helped with my fight camp:@1800radiator, @mgrconstruction, @solarsolutions, @philzcoffee. #fb
- 5 days
- #GEARCONTEST! Win A Signed GI, Signed Leather Jacket, $500 Store Credit From @AFFLICTION1! http://bit.ly/fDZo3l
- 5 days
- Grappling with John Danaher! Counting down the final days..are you? #1WEEKOUT http://on.fb.me/gIiMet
- 7 days
- Go to http://129.ufc.com/#/predictions/vote/ to vote for who you think will win the GSP vs. Shields fight. #fb
- 8 days
- Big thanks to Phil Davis for coming up to help me workout in my last week of hard training. #fb
- 9 days