Topic: José Aldo

Aldo responds

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,848  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

02.25.2013 | 2:46 PM ET

Dana said in the post-event (UFC 157) that you don't wanna accept the fight against Pettis. Is it true?

There is nothing sealed yet, nobody signed any paper. We're waiting the best for us. I didn't talk to Dedé (André Pederneiras, his manager) so I don't know how is the situation. I didn't watch the event last night because I was sleeping so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dedé to see how is the situation.

Is there any possibility for you to turn down the fight?

This is too relative, we don't know what is going on. It's a great fight, everyone want to see it but first I have to talk to Dedé.

UFC had put you against Edgar in a superfight and now they want match you against Pettis. Do you agree with all these line-jumpings?

No, I don't. They've created a ranking system just to avoid that, but it isn't working at all because they're pulling people from other divisions. It's just happening in my division, I don't see it happening in the others. Everyone talks about making superfights but it never happens in other divisions. We have to sit down with UFC to find a solution for this case. Why they don't pair Anderson Silva with all the other guys people wanna see him fighting against for years? Since I was from WEC I hear this superfight matchmaking thing. Among featherweights this is becoming so much easier.

Why do you think it's happening only in FW division?

Yeah... (laughs), I don't know whether exists a reason for it but it doesn't matter. Who wants to be the champion doesn't pick opponent or places. We have to be ready anytime and that's what I do. I get ready to give my best.

Do you think other opponents, like Ricardo Lamas, deserve this chance before Pettis?

Who deserves this shot, in first place, is Ricardo Lamas because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He earned his chance after his victory. Cub Swanson is another fighter who is in a great streak. They are featherweight fighters, who are fighting for a long time for a title shot that never comes since UFC are pulling heavier fighters to fight @ 145lbs. If UFC wants a superfight, I don't see any problem. I fight whoever they choose, but for the belt, it must be against Lamas or Swanson.

So do you believe this fight against Pettis shouldn't be for the title?

In my opinion, no. How can a guy fight for a title if he never fought in the division before? It's unfair with the other guys. I don't say it for myself because I'm the champion and I fight whoever steps up but it's unfair with everyone who is training, winning their fights, thinking about being the champ. Meanwhile, a lightweight fighter asks for the FW title shot and UFC accepts it.

Would Pettis give you the toughest fight of your carrer?

(laughs) I heard this story before when I fought Frankie Edgar and we know what happened. Whoever fights José Aldo has to be very well prepared because I train a lot. Fighting is my life so I'll always train hard to give a good show for the people

Source: Tatame

* Edited at 02.25.2013, 2:48 PM ET *

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

José Aldo "Junior"

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: José Aldo da Silva Oliveira Junior
  • Pro MMA Record: 31-8-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Junior
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: August 20, 2022 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 136.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Nova União
  • Height: 5'7" (170cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,879,125 USD
  • Born: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

02.25.2013 | 2:51 PM ET

I saw something that made me stop reading it all together, and it was this.

"They've created a ranking system just to avoid that, but it isn't working at all because they're pulling people from other divisions."

"3HUNNA"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,666  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

02.25.2013 | 2:52 PM ET

He makes a good point, the next fights should go to fighters in that division. It shouldnt become common what they did with frankie, Dana is making these decisions with money on his mind first in the long run it will hurt the integrity of the belt.
trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,666  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

02.25.2013 | 2:54 PM ET

Why did it make you stop reading?
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 2:55 PM ET

Because thats all that needed to be said lol why have a ranking system if you dont go by it when it comes to title shots.

"3HUNNA"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.25.2013 | 3:01 PM ET

Since 145 is a relatively new division, you're gonna get fighters who want to try their hand at 145. That's probably why 145 is getting all the "super" fights. 
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

02.25.2013 | 3:11 PM ET

@Trae It was the first thing the UFC said when they announced the rankings, that they wouldnt make match ups based on them. They're just to educate a bit the casual fans on the who's who of each division.

"@AndySalasMMA"

mike187
mike187
  • Predictions:  5,660  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,260
  • Post Score: 239

02.25.2013 | 3:12 PM ET

I agree with Aldo they can make the fight at 155 or 150 but not at 145 for the belt.

"He told me he was going to **** me, but was disappointed in himself when he could not get hard."

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 3:13 PM ET

Why have rankings then? Why have people numer 1, 2 5, 6 or whatever in that division if you dont make match ups based off that? They should just say its whos in the division, not how they are ranked. Having a guy ranked #1 in a division under the champion, then giving somebody in a different weight class a title shot is kinda stupid. Why even rank the fighters if it has nothing to do with title shots, and match ups. 

"3HUNNA"

MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

02.25.2013 | 3:46 PM ET

I respect his point of view on everything and he's totally right. But at the same time, dude is getting paid top dollar to do something he loves and he is the Champion. You take whatever is thrown at you. If he beats Pettis, you wont be seeing anybody beat Aldo ever probably. Bendo would have to chop off a leg to make 145.
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.25.2013 | 3:49 PM ET

@Mirko He's definitely not getting paid top dollar considering Overeem and Evans both made more than he did. And all they did was walk around the cage for a few rounds. They didn't even bother to destroy their opponents like they were supposed to. Other than the top dollar comment, I get what you're saying.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

02.25.2013 | 3:57 PM ET

I should have said Top dollar for his weight class for sure. Its a shame the guys smaller than Lightweight don't get the same treatment Paywise.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.25.2013 | 4:02 PM ET

I agree with him completely ... especially as Aldo/Pettis isn't even a "superfight" ... it's a great fight, but for it to be a superfight you need it to at least be against an ex-champ or a legend if not a current champ ... people are throwing around that term a bit too lightly these days ...

Yeah, Aldo/Pettis is a mouth-watering fight, but I totally agree that Pettis hasn't earned the right to pick any champion he wants with wins over Cerrone and Lauzon (who are both a step behind title contention to start off).

If Pettis believes in himself he should wait for Bendo/Melendez or fight another featherweight. It's not like he's done enough to be cutting lines yet.

One does not simply lose to Clay Guida and become a legend ;)

* Edited at 02.25.2013, 4:03 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  49,387  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,206
  • Post Score: 147

02.25.2013 | 4:03 PM ET

I understand what aldo is saying but I wanna see that fight happen it would be awsome to see it and plus I think pettis would put on a better fight then lamas and swanson.

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

02.25.2013 | 4:06 PM ET

I agree with Jose'...obviously people would love to see Pettis/Aldo but Aldo did just fight a LW coming down and Lamas/Cub/KZ deserve the shot more at that actual weight-class. 

The more I think about this situation, the more I agree with Aldo.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.25.2013 | 4:07 PM ET

Aldo should have said the same thing for the Edgar fight though.

* Edited at 02.25.2013, 4:08 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

02.25.2013 | 4:13 PM ET

I would rather see Benson/Pettis 2 and Aldo/Lamas. Lamas has been wrecking people and he's a legit challenge for Aldo. If there wasn't a clear cut #1 contender at fw I would say cool let Pettis have this shot.

In my opinion Pettis looks at it like he has a better chance against Aldo then he does against Benson. Benson isn't even close to the same guy that he was when Pettis fought him the 1st time. Ben would beat down Pettis and he knows it.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

ja3074
ja3074
  • Predictions:  2,772  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 199

02.25.2013 | 4:34 PM ET

The way I would do it would be have Edgar fight Lemas and the winner of that fight gets the winner of Pettis vs Aldo.

"to live is to suffer to survive is to find meaning in the suffering"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 4:42 PM ET

I dont have a issue with Pettis getting a title shot at 145. I just wanna see him beat somebody like Lamas or Swanson or KZ before it happens. These guys are on legit win streaks in the division, and are the most deserving.

"3HUNNA"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 4:46 PM ET

@ja3074, so your telling me that you would have Lamas, who is the most deserving i think, fight Edgar, who just lost his 145 debut to Aldo, in a number 1 contenders match to see who fights the winner out of Aldo vs Pettis(somebody who has never had a fight at 145). Edgar should not get a fight with either of the top contenders at the top of the division. He should get somebody like a Koch. Somebody coming off a loss also. 

"3HUNNA"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.25.2013 | 4:47 PM ET

^this

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out
  • MMAFighting.com : David Feldman explains how Conor McGregor became BKFC co-owner, how Dana White may react
  • MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $25 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 55 with rare Mumford & Sons, Led Zeppelin, Eminem Curse
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes Short-Notice UFC History
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes UFC history
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO