Topic: José Aldo

Aldo responds

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,861  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

02.25.2013 | 2:46 PM ET

Dana said in the post-event (UFC 157) that you don't wanna accept the fight against Pettis. Is it true?

There is nothing sealed yet, nobody signed any paper. We're waiting the best for us. I didn't talk to Dedé (André Pederneiras, his manager) so I don't know how is the situation. I didn't watch the event last night because I was sleeping so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dedé to see how is the situation.

Is there any possibility for you to turn down the fight?

This is too relative, we don't know what is going on. It's a great fight, everyone want to see it but first I have to talk to Dedé.

UFC had put you against Edgar in a superfight and now they want match you against Pettis. Do you agree with all these line-jumpings?

No, I don't. They've created a ranking system just to avoid that, but it isn't working at all because they're pulling people from other divisions. It's just happening in my division, I don't see it happening in the others. Everyone talks about making superfights but it never happens in other divisions. We have to sit down with UFC to find a solution for this case. Why they don't pair Anderson Silva with all the other guys people wanna see him fighting against for years? Since I was from WEC I hear this superfight matchmaking thing. Among featherweights this is becoming so much easier.

Why do you think it's happening only in FW division?

Yeah... (laughs), I don't know whether exists a reason for it but it doesn't matter. Who wants to be the champion doesn't pick opponent or places. We have to be ready anytime and that's what I do. I get ready to give my best.

Do you think other opponents, like Ricardo Lamas, deserve this chance before Pettis?

Who deserves this shot, in first place, is Ricardo Lamas because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He earned his chance after his victory. Cub Swanson is another fighter who is in a great streak. They are featherweight fighters, who are fighting for a long time for a title shot that never comes since UFC are pulling heavier fighters to fight @ 145lbs. If UFC wants a superfight, I don't see any problem. I fight whoever they choose, but for the belt, it must be against Lamas or Swanson.

So do you believe this fight against Pettis shouldn't be for the title?

In my opinion, no. How can a guy fight for a title if he never fought in the division before? It's unfair with the other guys. I don't say it for myself because I'm the champion and I fight whoever steps up but it's unfair with everyone who is training, winning their fights, thinking about being the champ. Meanwhile, a lightweight fighter asks for the FW title shot and UFC accepts it.

Would Pettis give you the toughest fight of your carrer?

(laughs) I heard this story before when I fought Frankie Edgar and we know what happened. Whoever fights José Aldo has to be very well prepared because I train a lot. Fighting is my life so I'll always train hard to give a good show for the people

Source: Tatame

* Edited at 02.25.2013, 2:48 PM ET *

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

José Aldo "Junior"

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: José Aldo da Silva Oliveira Junior
  • Pro MMA Record: 32-8-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Junior
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: May 04, 2024 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 136.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Nova União
  • Height: 5'7" (170cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,879,125 USD
  • Born: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

02.25.2013 | 4:51 PM ET

Aldo needs to shut the **** up and just fight who the UFC wants him to fight.
While I agree that Pettis doesn't deserve a shot at Aldo it's what the UFC wants and at the end of the day Pettis vs Aldo would be a much more bigger fight than Lamas/Aldo so it certainly makes sense from UFC's stand point.

"Is reality really realistic?"

vazio
vazio
  • Predictions:  17,531  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,205
  • Post Score: 225

02.25.2013 | 5:52 PM ET

@justyn yeah, those fighters with an opinion about stuff... damn them all! UFC should just brainwash everyone into little robots to agree with whatever they say... jeez.

the guy just said "I fight whoever steps up" and "the champion doesn't pick fights". he's just being vocal about how unfair to everyone else this situation is... and frankly, that's pretty much what everybody is thinking too. Aldo-Pettis is a great match-up, but Pettis should prove himself in the division first, or at the very least, wait until Lamas and KZ get their shot.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.25.2013 | 6:48 PM ET

After reading his comments, I have to admit he's making a lot of sense.  Why have Rankings?  It looks like just to get some pressure off their asses.  

When others want you to make some token bows to sports legitimacy, and you're thinking obsessively on making money . . . Something's gotta give.

Pulling title shots out of your ass, pressuring Aldo to take fights out of his division, but then falling short of making the GSP/Silva or Silva/Jones, it's just so arbitrary and subjective.  Letting the competition have perfectly good company assets like Fitch and Aaron Simpson and Christine 'Cyborg' Santos, black-balling Randy Couture after a lifetime of promotion-building service, etc.

It shows how much pressure Dana White is under that he's acting incoherent.  

He acknowledged that Johny Hendricks was deserving of a title shot, then said that if Condit or MacDonald looked better, that they might get the title shot instead, even though MacDonald has already gone on record as not willing to fight GSP.  So many mistakes.  So much confusion.  So bewildering to fans who want the UFC to start to gradually evolve towards more sports legitimacy.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

02.25.2013 | 6:57 PM ET

i hope aldo stands up and shouts it all out.. he actuallly has some leverage. he has beaten most of the good FW's and  edgar pretty easilly and what can dana really do. take away his title? thats a PR disaster. if i was aldo i would get the brazillian media involved and get his side out. you know the UFC does not want to **** with the brazillian market. aldo is getting to the point of anderson silva power. everybody saw how crazy the crowd got after the KO over mendes. someone has to stand up to the POWER! + _ +
lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

02.25.2013 | 7:08 PM ET

makes sense to me. i would love to see him fight pettis, but i can't argue against him. pettis does need a title shot though. **** just gets jammed up too often. while lamas is a top ranked contender, i do think pettis would be the tougher fight. 

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

bman518
bman518
  • Predictions:  23,181  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,763
  • Post Score: 185

02.25.2013 | 7:15 PM ET

Yeah, if Pettis wanted to fight Aldo, he should have done what Florian did and fight a top guy first. Although I do agree Lamas would get steamrolled.

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

MMApicker42
MMApicker42
  • Predictions:  4,050  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,828
  • Post Score: 131

02.25.2013 | 7:20 PM ET

If you are a champion u shouldn't get to choose who to fight and who to refuse.... If someone challenges... you fight. Pettis is the most competitive choice... Llamas and Swanson I believe still aren't ready, Aldo would beat both of them. It's aslo funny how he didn't have a problem fighting Edgar, but now the has a problem fighting Pettis... He's afraid of the fight because its so much more dangerous than Edgar.... His true colors show, I think he's growing a ****** as we know it. 
Know I'll get down arrows to you sensitive ones out there, that cant take a joke.

* Edited at 02.25.2013, 7:46 PM ET *

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

02.25.2013 | 7:22 PM ET

But how are they not ready when they are beating the best the division has to offer?

"3HUNNA"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.25.2013 | 7:43 PM ET

I wish Aldo would go to 155. I bet he could be champion there

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

MMApicker42
MMApicker42

02.25.2013 | 7:43 PM ET

Because I think that KZ, Llamas, and Swanson are all in the mix not one sticks out, they need to match these guys up against each other and than we will have a "ready top number one contender" 
Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

02.25.2013 | 7:54 PM ET

Lamas is the clear #1 contender at 145...he's beaten Cub/Hioki/Koch in a row, if that's not worthy of a shot I don't know what is.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

MMApicker42
MMApicker42

02.25.2013 | 7:58 PM ET

Koch had been out for over a year and coming off an injury and Hioki hasnt looked good lately. I think Llamas and KZ fight to have a clear number one contender.... It will answer all questions and opinionated comments that we all make.
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 7:59 PM ET

@MMApicker42 but thats stupid tho. You are knocking off title contenders when you really dont have to. Thus putting them in the position to give these silly title shots to undeserving fighters. Lamas can get a title shot, then Swanson. If need be, Swanson or KZ can get a fight in the mean time. 

"3HUNNA"

MMApicker42
MMApicker42

02.25.2013 | 8:08 PM ET

@Traeblack so what your gonna give swanson and kz who? a tune up fight? KZ and Llamas should fight each other, it gives them even more experience against top 10 fighters... it will only help them. but we will let Joe Silva make that decision, which we all wont agree with what he does.
edu94
edu94
  • Predictions:  1,420  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  373
  • Post Score: 349

02.25.2013 | 8:09 PM ET

@MMApicker42 so your saying that they dont deserve a ts because they will most likely to lose?
Dont you think they are not sticking out because different than other divisions, fw has many top contenders?not like hw where they have like one dude.
 Isnt because media doesnt hype fw contenders so they all look like they have no chance at the champion?
MMApicker42
MMApicker42

02.25.2013 | 8:13 PM ET

@edu94 I think that them fighting each other will give them experience that they need to become a much better contender. It would be good for both of them.
pac336
pac336
  • Predictions:  3,164  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 179

02.25.2013 | 8:28 PM ET

I agree with Aldo!!!!

"I like to party!!!"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

02.25.2013 | 8:33 PM ET

Give give Lamas a title shot. Then Swanson is up next. If he wants to take a fight, give him somebody right below him at 145 like a Darren Elikins, or a Nik Lents. Guys in the division that are doing good, but not at the top o the division. That way Lamas, a deserving contender gets a title shot, and Swanson either waits, or fights somebody on a streak to keep his status at division top contender. You cant give everybody a title shot at once, i get that, but i dont get having them knock each other off, and get rid of contenders when you dont have to. That way the division keeps moving, and you dont have times where there is no legit contender. Say Swanson somehow loses. You dont give the title shot to the guy that beat him, you give it to the next most deserving fighter, which would be the KZ. When he gets back in the game. See what i mean. The champion will always have a fight lined up because there will always be a contender waiting on him.

"3HUNNA"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  83,485  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

02.25.2013 | 8:33 PM ET

Rankings can only be used as a lose guideline in sports when they are opnion based rankings. Its very rare in boxing that the two top fighters always fight for the belt when they should.
wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

02.25.2013 | 8:36 PM ET

1. Dana White ‏@danawhite

Yes Aldo vs Pettis and it's for Aldo's UFC 145lb title

Ouvrir
  2. 6 minDana White ‏@danawhite

Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!!

yeah!!

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Could Smell Your Fear’
  • Bad Left Hook : Adames vs Gausha and Puello vs Russell reportedly set for June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Don’t Care About The Title. I Just Want To Fight Jones’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Required To Reveal Earnings From Proper No. Twelve Sale
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia extend partnership for another event, sponsorship deal
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60