Topic:

Moments of MMA

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.20.2012 | 1:02 AM ET

What moments did you find to be the most iconic or captiviting in MMA's, relatively short, history?

For me it goes pretty much like this:

1. Griffin/Bonnar 1: Without this fight it's not unreasonable to think the UFC would have been pushed into obscurity and the sport to have ultimately died as a true profession.
  2. Showtime Kick: Made ESPN's Top Ten Plays of the Year even when ESPN is clearly biased against the sport. It was a special moment, because nothing like that had ever happened before.
  3. José Aldo's post-fight celebration at UFC 142: Running into the crowd will probably never be forgotten. Completely surreal moment for unbelievably great fighter.
  4. The Arona Slam: Easily the most memorable slam in the history of the sport. Absolutely no one thought Rampage would power bomb a guy.
  5. José Aldo's Double-Flying Knee: Took 8 seconds to destroy a fighter ranked 12th in the world at Featherweight. He did it in a fashion that, as far as I know, had never been done and has not been replicated since.
  6. The Twister: The Korean Zombie put Leonard Garcia in a twister, the first in UFC history, to finish off a rematch of a fight of the year candidate. 
  7. Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia: Couture comes out of retirement and wins the UFC Heavyweight championship at the age of 43, and he did it against a much larger man. That’s impressive as hell.
  8. Anderson Silva Triangle: A man has done what was thought to be impossible for nearly 23 minutes, and out of nowhere Silva proves why he's still the best. It was a night that may have solidified his championship legacy, and the possibility of being the greatest of all time. Anderson showed what it took to be a champion. Even Chael couldn't deny that. (Well, he could, I guess. He'd just be wrong. LOL.)

* Edited at 02.20.2012, 1:08 AM ET *

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Responses

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

02.20.2012 | 1:06 AM ET

1. Griffin vs. Bonnar: Was many people's introduction to the sport, and it was a battle that probably will never be replicated.
2. Rampage slams Arona: It was plain awesome as ****
3. Showtime Kick: Was something out of an action movie
4.  Kongo KOs Barry: From *****street to Victory, craziest comeback ever.

5. Fedor takes a Randleplex and comes back to win: Man should be dead, but manages to come back and win like a baller
6. Gonzaga KOs Mirko: Gonzaga shocks the world by KOing CroCop with his own move
7. Lesnar wins in UFC: Everyone thought that Lesnar was going to be a giant joke, then he comes in and destroys some people.
8. Round 1 Guida vs. Sanchez: The against the cage exchange that made everyone get on their feet
9. Anderson Silva submits Chael Sonnen: Silva triangles a man who's been doing the impossible for 24 minutes
10. Aldo KOs Mendez and runs into the crowd: A celebration that will likely become the most iconic in MMA history.

Honorable Mention: The Strikeforce Brawl, because that was pretty much crazy.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

02.20.2012 | 1:08 AM ET

Awesome lists guys!

"Frig off, bud"

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437

02.20.2012 | 1:14 AM ET

This doesn't quite deserve to be in top ten, but I'll never forget Aoki breaking an arm and flipping off the world.

Another honorable mention, Tito's "*****" shirt.

* Edited at 02.20.2012, 1:17 AM ET *

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.20.2012 | 12:22 PM ET

The more I've thought about it the more moments there really are. Outside of the one's already mentioned there's Don Frye vs. Takayama. Corey Hill's broken leg. Big Nog KOing Shcaub. Mir breaks Sylvia's arm, and ditto for Big Nog's arm. Serra KOing GSP. Joe Lauzon KOing Jens Pulver. Both Wanderlei/Rampage fights, especially when Rampage fell through the ropes. Cro Cop's head kick KOs, with the most memorable probably being against Wandy. Dan Henderson winning the PRIDE MW championship to have both the WW and MW championships. BJ Penn licking Joe Stevenson's blood off his gloves. So many unforgettable moments, that I didn't list.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857

02.20.2012 | 12:52 PM ET

Not necessarily in any particular order 
1. Was a unique and an oh **** moment that was the perfect way for the WEC to end
2. Just a brutal slam
3. One of the greatest comebacks of all time
4. The ultimate brawl
5. To be able to recover from a slam like that is amazing.
6. Saku breaking Renzo's arm pretty much ended the Gracie's dominance in MMA
7. CroCop demolishing Igor ushered in a new era of HW's
8. A finish that really got me hooked on MMA
9. Nog was getting brutalized only to persevere and defeat the giant
10. An epic war with an epic ending between 2 of the most dominating fighters of their era
11. Gonzaga/Crocop - the result nobody expected
12. Shogun's run through the MW Grand Prix
13. CroCop winning the Openweight GP
14. For some reason I couldnt find the fights in the search box but the first 2 Wandy/Rampage fights had brutal finishes

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘Ruthless’ In BKFC?
  • MMA Junkie : Full fight video: Jon Jones puts Lyoto Machida out cold at UFC 140
  • Bad Left Hook : IBF orders Cacace to face mandatory challenger Nunez
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Hard To Deny The Activity’
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad vows to 'do everyone a favor' and dethrone 'coward' Leon Edwards at UFC 304
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Want To Fight With Pantoja!’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Paige VanZant, Elle Brooke face off at MF & DAZN: X Series 15 press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he filed lawsuit against Ryan Garcia over Prime Hydration
  • Middle Easy : Henry Cejudo Expects ‘Long Haul’ Before UFC Title Fight, Why That Starts With Rob Font
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Askren convinced Conor McGregor is jealous of Khabib Nurmagomedov: 'No money can make up for that'
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Horiguchi And Pettis
  • MMAFighting.com : Oleksandr Usyk set to portray PRIDE legend alongside ‘The Rock’ in Mark Kerr biopic
  • Middle Easy : Former Champ Jamahal Hill Draws New Opponent In UFC 303 Co-Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Video reaction: What does Gegard Mousasi's Bellator release say about state of PFL merger?
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Expect something serious’: Haneys react to Ryan Garcia’s positive B-sample results
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney reacts to Ryan Garcia positive B-sample drug test, takes aim at Oscar De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall: Curtis Blaydes rematch at UFC 304 is a 'lose-lose' because he's 'not that popular'
  • MMA Mania : Mousasi Released From PFL Amid Contract Dispute
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape ready to shut down Muhammad Mokaev at UFC 304: 'Everything I do is a masterclass'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier shoots down fourth Conor McGregor fight: ‘I don’t need that [bad] energy’