Topic: UFC 297

UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,274
  • Post Score: 47

10.04.2023 | 3:02 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 297
  • Saturday 01.20.2024 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Scotiabank Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,898,695
  • Attendance: 18,559
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Sean Strickland   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Raquel Pennington   defeats   Mayra Bueno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Mike Malott   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:45 Round 3 of 3, 14:45 Total Bout Page
Chris Curtis   defeats   Marc-André Barriault   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Movsar Evloev   defeats   Arnold Allen   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Garrett Armfield   defeats   Brad Katona   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sean Woodson   defeats   Charles Jourdain   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ramon Taveras   defeats   Serhiy Sidey   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gillian Robertson   defeats   Polyana Viana   via KO/TKO, Ground Strikes From Back Mount   3:12 Round 2 of 3, 8:12 Total Bout Page
Sam Patterson   defeats   Yohan Lainesse   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:03 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Priscila Cachoeira   via Submission, D'arce Choke   4:21 Round 3 of 3, 14:21 Total Bout Page
Jimmy Flick   defeats   Malcolm Gordon   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   1:17 Round 2 of 3, 6:17 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 30

Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,175  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,886
  • Post Score: 174

01.19.2024 | 3:23 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 4407th

Ya think Tarvares more likely to lose now?  might have to change back to sidey 

* Edited at 01.19.2024, 3:23 PM ET *

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,551
  • Post Score: 128

01.19.2024 | 3:28 PM ET

@RustyTennakoon

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 1554th

That's what I thought going into the tape study of that one. Not that MBS was bad but that Rocky has a good shot. Tape made me lean more towards MBS than before I watched it. It's basically a more complete mixed martial artist vs a boxer. Not that Rocky isn't good but muay thai artist that also wins on the ground vs boxer means I have to lean MBS here. Less experienced perhaps but also a bit younger and hungrier. At least that's what I took away from it. I think it's at least 60/40 MBS and maybe a little bit more.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,477  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,827
  • Post Score: 141

01.19.2024 | 3:29 PM ET

@AyyLmao

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 3124th

Yeah, you are right, totally unacceptable. And you know the UFC wants this as a showcase card in Canada. Priscilla, Tavares and Gordon trying their best to mess it up
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.19.2024 | 3:30 PM ET

@Calofath

He was always going to lose in my opinion. But that's just my view
gliese58i
gliese58i

01.19.2024 | 3:32 PM ET

@Calfoth

Always hard to tell with weight cuts but this one looked a bit bad to me. He was distraught and on the scale the last minute meaning he was cutting the whole alloted time and didn't bail out of it early as sometimes fighters do to conserve their energy when they give up on making the weight. He didn't even look dry to me though, looked like he was still sweating and he ran out of time.
Either way it looks unprofessional whereas I thought Sidey looked great on the scale.

I'm in the same boat as I also have Taveras but might have to reconsider since I think in their DWCS fight they looked very well matched. I usually go with the minute winner and more complete fighter which would be Sidey. Just had a feeling Taveras would connect with more power after watching tape, he does have better hands of the two if they're standing in the pocket imo.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.19.2024 | 3:33 PM ET

@Gliesie

It's an interesting fight. There are a few factors that I need to think about. Namely, MBS has questionable cardio (one reason I think she does not wrestle much), and this is a 5 rounder, I expect her to slow down in the later rounds especially with a lot of cage work and clinching in this fight if I have read it right. I also think Pennington may have the better striking (as strange as that sounds) and I am not sure she is going to get submitted. While MBS has good submissions she is just very opportunistic and Pennington is a real vet. Also the final piece of the puzzle for me is how MBS will look like off her Ritalin which she was taking for the ADHD. You have to ask that question as well as unfair to her as it may be.
gliese58i
gliese58i

01.19.2024 | 3:38 PM ET

@RustyTennakoon

I think the only time we've seen her really struggling bad with cardio was the Wu Yanan fight and that was her 135 debut and I think on short notice unless I'm mistaken. She looked bloated in that one but after that she's looked much better to me physically, leaner.

I agree that Raquel should take every opportunity to clinch and lean on MBS, that's her best path to victory here.

On the opposite side MBS should put her toes into Rockys gut at every opportunity.

* Edited at 01.19.2024, 3:39 PM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,184  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,276
  • Post Score: 89

01.19.2024 | 3:39 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 370 Points   |   Tied for 1102nd

@calfoth 4 pound weight miss is pretty big, so I’ve definitely been considering it. However I don’t think it changes much; sidey likely wasn’t going to grapple this time around & he definitely won’t with such a big weight miss. The dwcs was way more competitive than I remembered but idk I really like sidey. I think he’s a much more complete & dedicated fighter. The latter is important cuz taveras strikes me as one of those guys who’s just here for the ride. He isn’t ufc caliber & I don’t think he trains that way either; when you go on his ig it’s posts about anything but actually training. The big thing for me is his chin. The shot that sidey put him down with was not hard at all & regardless of the stoppage he did not have a good reaction to it. Then him getting ko’ed in under a minute by a 5-5 guy is also sus

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.19.2024 | 3:42 PM ET

@rusty I found out on Twitter Pennington has been vocal about her suffering from hyperthyroidism. I had to look it up but it appears to be a disease when the thyroid gland produces too much of whatever hormone & it creates complications in the body. One symptom I found is it can cause muscle atrophy. 

Now, Pennington hasn’t lost in a while so it’s not like this is making it impossible to fight, but she’s 35 and talked about it causing issues for her before so it could possibly make things harder for her as she ages 

gliese58i
gliese58i

01.19.2024 | 3:43 PM ET

@RustyTennakoon

About the Ritalin. Does the UFC even have a doping program now that USADA is out of the picture? Evloev looked ripped out of his mind on the scale, definitely looked juicy. Would be hilarious if fighters started to openly ingest horse meat.

gliese58i
gliese58i

01.19.2024 | 3:44 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

They've also mentioned numerous times during her fights all the nearly fatal injuries she's had like breaking her back her hip etc in motor accidents and what not.
She's lived a hard life lol.

HI_DEFFF
HI_DEFFF
  • Predictions:  678  |  73.3%
  • Forum Posts:  91
  • Post Score: 203

01.19.2024 | 4:02 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 4085th

The thing about Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse and those other ADD/ADHD medicines is if you don't truly need them. They are essentially nothing other than speed. its a legal cocaine at that point. Its was awesome in college don't get me wrong but there's millions of people who have found a doctor to write the script. They don't need them they just like the legal energy and focus they provide. 

I don't know if her prescription is legitimate or not and I'm in no position to say it is or isn't but Its definitely performance enhancing either way. Pretty decent little loop hole if its legal as long as she discloses. 

"Cut every fighter with a criminal record so the Tapology dorks don't have to watch bad guys fist fight."

Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,905  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,219
  • Post Score: 191

01.19.2024 | 4:03 PM ET

@RustyTennakoon @gliede58i

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 1009th

I personally think that the fans should ask that he reinstate the submission win the Silva over Holm, I really thought we were going to have to see another hish-hish, clinch fest and knee to the tight for 5 rounds and I turned off my television and then I had to rewatch the stream because I couldn't believe Ninja Choke when I read the comments on this forum. 

Despite picking Holm by decision (because I thought the Hish-Hish Boring Fest was imminent) it is one of the times I was happiest to miss a pick. I thought Holm's last title run was over, but USADA seemed to prevent it. Although wonderfully, the Co-Main will be Pennington vs. Silva and not Pennington vs. Holm 3 (literally the second fight has been the worst Non Title Co-Main Event Fight in UFC PPV history).

Ritalin is a medication for ADHD and personally, the suspensions of Silva Bueno, Miles Johns (after his fight against Castañeda) and Kevin Lee (after his fight against D-Rod) seemed meaningless to me because it is a prescribed medication, but obviously it was also the irresponsibility of the management or the fighter for not notifying and hence the 4-6 month suspensions for Ritalin or Aderall. The case of No Contest should be able to be appealed with the athletic commission (like the case of Tito Ortiz in his fight at Combates America).

* Edited at 01.19.2024, 4:03 PM ET *

"Moicano Wants Money!"

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.19.2024 | 4:09 PM ET

@AmetPC

I agree with you 100%. If anyone should be allowed to be on ADHD treatment it should be fighters who's safety depends on focus and being able to make split second decisions. Overturning MBS's win for that is ridiculous (and yes though I had a bet on Holm and lost a lot of money, it was a great moment)
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.19.2024 | 4:10 PM ET

@AyyLmao and Gliesie

All really good points and great info. Thanks. Really have to think about this one. What do you think about the chance of this going over 2.5 rounds? I think it could happen unless MBS subs her
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.19.2024 | 4:11 PM ET

@Gliesie

Paulo Costa destroyed USADA with his secret juice
DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  427  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  873
  • Post Score: 160

01.19.2024 | 4:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2566th

Strickland vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R2
This fight could go either way, but Dricus just has more paths to victory. We've seen Sean get KO'ed before and Dricus has power in his hands. Dricus has really underrated wrestling and jiu-jitsu and likely holds the advantage there. He's dangerous anywhere the fight goes and has the ability to get Sean out of their early, BUT if Sean can weather the storm and test DDP's cardio the tide could start to turn. I'm picking DDP by ground and pound finish, but if this fight goes to the championship rounds Sean probably takes this one.

Pennington vs. Bueno Silva
Raquel Pennington, DEC
Bueno Silva is on a 3 fight win streak (4 if you count her win over Holm), but none of those opponents had a UFC record over .500 other than a 41 year old Holly Holm. Pennington is battle tested and has fought the best of the best in the 135lb division. We also don't know how well Bueno Silva's cardio holds up for 5 rounds. I think Rocky's experience helps her grind out a close 48-47 SD here. I'm definitely not confident in this pick though.

Magny vs. Malott
Mike Malott, SUB, R2
Magny is starting to fade as he gets older. He's not a top 15 caliber fighter anymore and Malott comes in undefeated in the UFC with 6 straight finishes(4 in UFC and CS). He gets another one here and jumps into the top 15.

Curtis vs. Barriault
Chris Curtis, TKO, R1
Curtis is pretty much a lock here for me. Curtis is 5-2 in the UFC and has been fighting nothing but killers. Barriault is average and by far Curtis' easiest fight yet. Anytime he's taken a step up in competition he wasn't up to the task. We've seen Barriault get slept before and Curtis has the power to do it again here.

"My balls was hot"

gliese58i
gliese58i

01.19.2024 | 4:40 PM ET

@RustyTennakoon @Amettxpc

I think MBS could get an under 2.5 I don't see it from Rocky as much. Both are tough and durable, neither will fold voluntarily. Then again MBS places a kick to the gut in the wrong spot and Rockys body might just bypass her mind and decide to shut down, we've seen it happen before especially as fighters get older. A bit more difficult to see Rocky finish MBS without draining the gastank first.

Might be some value on Rocky and over 2.5 if you're confident in her.

The thing with MBS and Ritalin is I would have been more understanding if it was a one-time thing but she has self reported in interviews that she's always taken it and had no problems, which makes it sounds like she used it all her UFC career. Never once seeking a medical exemptrion for such a long time seems a bit fishy to me. There are limits to how clueless a fighter and their support staff can be if they have honest intentions.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.19.2024 | 4:42 PM ET

Well we do know att fighters are all on some kind of juice so there’s that🤣🤣

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.19.2024 | 4:43 PM ET

@rusty I could see it hitting but I think Mayra gets her out of there in the first two 

Page 30

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis’ all-time best UFC octagon interview moments
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Vs. Nascimento Betting Odds, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC St. Louis Results, Streaming Updates
  • Bad Left Hook : McCaskill vs Price: Live updates and results, 2:30 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Legend Joe Moreira Promoted To 9th Degree Red Belt
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results, 10 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania Stream: Hottest UFC Rumors, Weird MMA News And Much More
  • Jits Magazine : Who’s Number One 23: Nicholas Meregali vs Vagner Rocha Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Two Title-Fights Announced For Who’s Number One 24
  • MMAFighting.com : Misfits Boxing 14 Results: Salt Papi vs. Amadeusz Ferrari
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Lomachenko vs. Kambosos Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘Future Looks Bright’ For TJ Dillashaw
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis Results: Lewis vs. Nascimento
  • MMA Junkie : Benoit Saint Denis previews ADXC 4 headliner: Marc Diakiese 'tough opposition, but I'm more than ready'
  • MMA Mania : Makhachev Predicts Poirier’s Guillotine Demise
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Watch LFA's best fight finishes from April 2024