Tapology Forums

Mikey Tapology Boxing Corner!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  49,019  |  73.2%
  • Forum Posts:  9,120
  • Post Score: 300

09.26.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

Alright folks, 

As you might know I'm Tapology Boxing editor. I know the majority of you guys are here for MMA, so was I originally. But for the last year or 2 there is a little more interest in Boxing on the site. 

So here's a place to talk boxing. 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Responses Page 32

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

01.13.2022 | 9:34 PM ET

Jake Paul vs Chavez Junior may be happening, who wins?

I think winning any belt is an achievement, if I won a World title in Boxing (million dollar fight correct ?) I would probably retire on a high note after that... 

If you beat a really good champion at a heavier weight thats pretty good, but if its a can crusher Champion it doesn't mean as much intrinsically... For me to dominate any division in any martial art/combat sport takes alot of effort, will and skill (unless your a freak) so I think anyone who does that has done well

* Edited at 01.13.2022, 9:37 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,515  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,348
  • Post Score: 285

01.13.2022 | 9:43 PM ET

@WastelandWanderer

You know that ridiculous "Most Valuable Boxer" belt that Jake Paul likes to carry around with him like a 10 year old who doesn't realise wrestling is fake, carrying his plastic toy WWE belt everywhere? That's about as legitimate as any of the WBC "Franchise" or "Silver" belts IMO and by that I mean they're worthless. Mind you his belt is apparently a 500k gift so worth pawning in if he's ever in a tough financial situation.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,946
  • Post Score: 247

01.14.2022 | 11:53 AM ET

Gotta love the tacky out of place Rolex watches too.

"🌽⚽️"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,515  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,348
  • Post Score: 285

01.14.2022 | 12:12 PM ET

Terence Crawford sues Top Rank and Bob Arum for "racial bias" and "breach of contract"

It's believed that he's suing for $10 Million in damages due to Bob Arum failing to "care about, support or know how to support black fighters" and also claimed that "it is painfully clear that Top Rank, and especially Arum, judges people based on their race. Arum’s sordid history with athletes of colour, especially black fighters, and his bias favouring white and Latino fighters is well-documented and known throughout the boxing world.”

Bob Arum replied that "His marketability didn’t measure up to this ability and that has absolutely nothing to do with what race he is…The outstanding fact is that Terence’s numbers on PPV have always been dreadful because of his failure to market himself."

So here it is. Terrance Crawford VS Bob Arum in a courtroom. Should be an interesting story to follow.

https://www.ringtv.com/633251-terence-crawford-sues-top-rank-alleging-racial-bias-and-breach-of-contract/

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 12:45 PM ET

Absolutely nothing will come of this.  Only thing Bud should be concentrating on fighting is Errol Spence, not fighting Al Bob in court!!
Waste of time!!

Does anybody truly believe Buds gonna win this court case???  

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,328  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,338
  • Post Score: 136

01.14.2022 | 1:39 PM ET

With the way **** is going nowadays he could, not in court Bob would do a payoff surely.
Being a White Irish/German American I have no opinion and whatever I say will be racist so disregard lol.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 1:56 PM ET

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 2:32 PM ET

The racism claim is dumb(almost as dumb as Tyson Fury alleging Oleksandr Usyk is a "Steroid Man" when the only man to fail drug tests for steroids is, duh duh dah!!! Tyson Fury!)
Anyway, back to The Bob Father! Yes, he's a salty old ****! Yes he said some **** about Bud and did a pretty poor job of promoting him, saying he could of bought multi million dollar mansions with the money he's lost on Bud being 1 of the best /worst!
But racist? I mean he worked with Mohamed Ali! George Foreman, Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler. 4 of the greatest black fighters of all time (4 of the greatest all time regardless but I'm saying that for context).

Again, Bob Arum is a cranky old bastard, also he doesn't really run Top Rank anymore, he's more like the spokesman. Guys like Todd Debouf, Carl Moretti run Top Rank the business nowadays and have done for years.

Anyway, I just wish Bud would be focusing all his energy on getting the legacy defining fights he needs to go down as an All Time Great. I think he is 1 of, if not the most skilled boxer alive today. He's has it all. Unfortunately he's not a big draw for whatever reason. So what he needs to do is have the big fights against the best guys.
Why waste your time with a ******** lawsuit. 

Oh another thing, I wish I was this mistreated. Buds paydays. 8 million for Porter, 4 million for Brook, 4.5 million for Khan, 3.5Mill for Kavaliauskas.
Poor Bud eh, obviously treated like ****! 

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 2:49 PM ET

Damn the Furys are juicers screw them, sorry for posting that I didn't know... I just saw a Kickboxing fight in ONE FC where a juiced to the gills Greek ko'ed a Dagestan fighter with a sloppy right hand... Its dangerous to fight a steroid powered fighter when your not using, I think it should be called out.....
And damn Crawford made those paydays and he is not even a big draw?! Do you know how the promotions fund those type of paydays Mikey?

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 2:51 PM ET *

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 3:21 PM ET

Yes, both Tyson and Hughie were banned several years ago and accepted 2 year bans(Tyson served the bulk of his while he was on his break from boxing) . Something to do with Wild Boar testicles apparently!! That's the legitimate excuse used!! 

*Edit* A better link to the story

https://inews.co.uk/sport/boxing/tyson-fury-drugs-ban-nandrolone-failed-test-ukad-anti-doping-408719

And yeah I seen that Greek kickboxer earlier today and my 1st thought was "Wow! Great KO!" Followed by "WOW! Check out that Bacne!!!"

About Promotions funding paydays. Honestly I'm not sure bud? Broadcast deals, PPV sales, Sponsorship, Ticket sales all come into it. I guess Promotions have to calculate how much they think a big fight will generate financially from all those factors and decide how much they should pay the fighters. But I'm no expert on financing fights! 

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 3:30 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.14.2022 | 3:38 PM ET

I like Bud but he can get absolutely ****** on this one. He's completely full of ****, Arum isn't racist and he's also right that Bud can't market himself. 'His marketability never matched up to his ability' is about as fair and accurate a summation of crawford's career thus far as you're gonna get.

Very disappointed in Bud for weaponizing the race card either out of enmity or for commercial gain. It's a dog act.
Casual008
Casual008
  • Predictions:  4,594  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,866
  • Post Score: 259

01.14.2022 | 4:03 PM ET

Top Rank, and by extension Bob Arum, absolutely have a racial bias. Cameron Dunkin, TR match maker, even openly stated as such over a year ago

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 4:30 PM ET *

"They're sorcerers they don't get knocked out"

Casual008
Casual008

01.14.2022 | 4:06 PM ET

It's a very bizarre situation because it sounds like the higher ups at Top Rank are living by some form of black supremacism to justify keeping black fighters away from their Latino fighters. The racial bias argument however isn't even a main point in Bud's lawsuit, the fact Arum promised the Spence fight in a certain date or a default $900k pay out that was never paid out to Bud is. 

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 4:07 PM ET *

Casual008
Casual008

01.14.2022 | 5:37 PM ET

Documentary on who, in my humble opinion, is the greatest Boxer to ever live; Roberto Duran

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 5:56 PM ET

That's funny that you posted that as I'd just added it to my YouTube Watch later list this morning!!

I don't know if he's the greatest ever, I mean it's so hard to narrow it down to 1 guy! But Roberto Duran is definitely up there! He's also 1 of my favourite boxers, mainly because he's my dad's favourite so I seen a lot of his fights growing up.  Best Lightweight ever, fought across 5 decades! Over 100 wins! Fought against some of the greatest ever!  Roberto Duran is a genuine legend! 

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,946
  • Post Score: 247

01.14.2022 | 5:59 PM ET

I don't know why but boxing always seems to have some sort of race war going on. I remember the buildup to Wilder Fury 2 and 3 being particularly annoying for this. Easily my least favorite part of the sport.

"🌽⚽️"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 6:21 PM ET

Yup Cheese, its definitely true. It's dumb and annoying 

Casual008
Casual008

01.14.2022 | 6:26 PM ET

@Mikey Only fighter to ever definitely defeat Sugar Ray. Spent most of his career at the Championship level after winning the Lightweight belt at 21 years old, 29-0, before fighting Sugar Ray 8 years later at Welterweight with a record of 71-1. His trainer actually left him after the BenĂ­tez fight as it was clear he wasn't bothering to train anymore, ballooning between camps and having to diet down from 200lbs(90kg). Not to say the second Leonard fight or the BenĂ­tez fight should be discredited but it does help put perspective on the fact Duran was getting lazy and had a lot of wear and tear on his body. The Kirklang upset actually came when he was trying out a new trainer. 

By the time Duran got to Davey Moore he wasn't his prime self and yet still punched a hole through Davey's liver. The Hagler fight too was on paper a complete squash match, ended up being one of Hagler's toughest fights and I had Duran ahead going into the 14th. Hearn showed us Duran's punching resistance was going but yet still, after 90 professional fights, stood toe to toe against MIddleweight Iran Barkley and put on a slugfest. 

He was the master of inside fighting and still till this day the best inside boxer the sport's ever seen. His techniques and set ups to initiate & fight in the clinch are still wildly used today. Highly underrated defense, brilliant pull counter, great use or punching traffic and fundamentally understood it's a pressure sport; feint and when not feinting punch. There's almost no boxer today who is a pioneer in the sport while also being able to stand with todays greats, but Duran could happily do so. 

Casual008
Casual008

01.14.2022 | 6:30 PM ET

The Heavyweight boxing Champion was used as a massive position of political power in the civil rights era, why a "bad" black like Sonny Liston was denied his shot for so long; It was on the political basis that they couldn't afford to have a criminal, pimp, and drug dealer be the face of it in such an important time. Ever since racial politics and boxing have been married. 

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.14.2022 | 6:51 PM ET

You don't have to convince me how great Duran was/is mate! Like I said he's 1 of my favourites.
I just meant it's hard to say any 1 man is the greatest boxer ever, you can argue successfully for a handful. Of course Sugar Ray Robinson, Mohamed Ali, Henry Armstrong, Joe Louis, Julio Chavez, Marvin Hagler, Roy Jones Jr, Harry Greb, Willie Pep, Carlos Monzon, Sugar Ray Leonard and more.  You can make arguments for them all.

By the way, I personally think that it's Sugar Ray Robinson but the greatest I've ever seen in my lifetime is Roy Jones Jr. But I can change my mind!!! They were all great!! 

Page 32

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Olympic Medalist, Knockout Machine, Future Champion?
  • Middle Easy : Demetrious Johnson Reveals Earnings From UFC Video Games, How Fighters Get Paid
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Askren: Jon Jones would probably need two and a half minutes to finish Alex Pereira
  • UFC.com : Veronica Hardy Embraces Living In The Moment
  • MMA Mania : How To Buy Tickets For Paul Vs Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : Betting Preview: Lomachenko vs Kambosos and more
  • MMAFighting.com : Demetrious Johnson reveals how much money he’s made from EA UFC games
  • MMA Junkie : Urijah Faber: Merab Dvalishvili is a bad matchup, but 'Sean O'Malley's grappling is really good'
  • Bad Left Hook : Rafael Espinoza vs Sergio Chirino official for June 21
  • MMA Junkie : Upkick alert! Canadian prospect Jayden Martin cracks opponent in jaw for TKO
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira explains why he won’t fight Roman Dolidze at UFC Louisville
  • Bad Left Hook : Alimkhanuly vs Mikhailovich targeted for July 13 in Las Vegas
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Claims He’s NOT Fighting Dolidze At UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : 'Is Jon Jones that same guy?': Daniel Cormier says heavyweight champion's form untested in divisional debut
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC owners: Antitrust settlement ended without ‘any further changes to UFC’s existing business operations’
  • Middle Easy : Michael Chandler Vows to Retire Conor McGregor at UFC 303, Explains Viral Pic with Machine Gun Kelly
  • MMA Junkie : FedEx reportedly fires worker chucking boxes in viral video from UFC CEO Dana White
  • MMA Mania : UFC St. Louis: ‘Lewis Vs Nascimento’ Predictions
  • MMA Junkie : On the Doorstep: 5 fighters who could make UFC with May wins
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Has ‘Something Special’ Planned for Dustin Poirier at UFC 302