Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,162  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 246

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,334  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

10.07.2014 | 10:48 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club was formed by Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth in 1980 as a side project while they were on hiatus from Talking Heads. Joined by a constantly changing group of musicians and producers (chief among them Adrian Belew) they explored music quite different from that of Talking Heads. In this case, it was early hip hop, disco, and funk.

Released in 1981, Genius of Love became a hit in dance clubs, reaching number one on the Billboard dance chart and number 31 on the main Billboard chart. It has since been sampled by numerous rap acts.

At the time, Genius of Love sold better than any previous Talking Heads song, although in 1983 Talking Heads released the "Speaking in Tongues" album and its hit single "Burning Down The House", which would start a period of huge commercial success for the band and far eclipsed Tom Tom Club.

You know you done me wrong baby.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.08.2014 | 10:04 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "The Thrill is Gone" by B.B. King. In the 1940s, Riley B. King became known as "The Beale Street Blues Boy", which was soon shortened to just "B.B." After a few years of live performances and work as a popular local disc jockey, he recorded his first record in 1949. He had numerous hits throughout the 1950s and 60s, and recorded his most well-known song in 1969.

"The Thrill is Gone" had been a hit for Roy Hawkins in 1951, with his version inspired by a quite different 1931 hit by Rudy Vallee, which originated in a Broadway play that year. King's 1969 version differed quite a bit from the Hawkins recording, with a different arrangement that relies on strings supporting King's guitar, rather than the horns and piano of that Hawkins used. King's recording reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100, and earned him a Grammy for Best R&B Male Vocal Performance in 1970. Later, in 1998, the recording earned a Grammy Hall of Fame Award.

At 89 years old, B.B. King continues to perform in 2014, although just three days ago he cancelled the remainder of his current tour due to illness. Here's the 1969 B.B. King recording, followed by the 1951 Roy Hawkins original.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.10.2014 | 12:09 AM ET

Thursday song of the day: "Summertime Blues" by Blue Cheer. Considered by many to be the first Heavy Metal band, Blue Cheer released their first album "Vincebus Eruptum" in 1968. The album included a cover of Eddie Cochran's 1958 hit, Summertime Blues, performed in a much heavier style than the original. The Blue Cheer version reached number 14 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the first heavy metal song to make the pop charts, beating "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by a few months.

Here's the Blue Cheer cover, along with the Eddie Cochran original.

Keep your silly ways or throw them out the window.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.10.2014 | 6:40 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" by Ian Dury. Ian Dury contracted polio as a child, which left him partially disabled. He formed Kilburn and The High Roads in 1971 and recorded a few singles, but success didn't come until 1977, when he released the single "Sex and Drugs and Rock And Roll". An album "New Boots and Panties" soon followed with his new band, The Blockheads. His music always had a sense of humor, and he had several hits in the UK, but never made much of a dent in the US market. Possibly the thick ****ney accent and the heavy influence of the old British music hall style in his music prevented US success.

In later years he had small acting parts in films such as Judge Dredd, Split Second, and Pirates. He turned down the lucrative offer to write the libretto for Andrew Lloyd Webber's play "Cats", because he hated the Lloyd Webber's music.

Dury died in 2000 of cancer.

A little people magic if you will.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,544  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

10.10.2014 | 6:54 PM ET

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

10.10.2014 | 11:37 PM ET

I've been listening to a bit of Skinless lately since they announced a new album coming early 2015, their first since 2006.  I can't remember the last time I was this pumped for a new death metal album.

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

10.10.2014 | 11:53 PM ET

Vince McMahon's line completely makes that song^

* Edited at 10.10.2014, 11:54 PM ET *

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.11.2014 | 7:09 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "Brighton Rock" by Queen. Although it wasn't released as a single and isn't one of Queen's many hits hits, like "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You", Brighton Rock is probably my favorite Queen song.

Brighton Rock is the first track of Queen's third album, 1974's "Sheer Heart Attack". Queen had been a popular band on the strength of their first two albums and accompanying tours. Sheer Heart Attack included their first US hit, "Killer Queen" and increased their following. The next album, "A Night at the Opera", made them huge.

Brighton Rock tells about the summer tryst between two young people, Jimmy and Jenny, at the seaside resort of Brighton, along with its aftermath. It includes probably the best guitar solo of Brian May's career, and some great singing by Freddie Mercury.

Let's count the rings around my eyes.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.11.2014 | 11:56 PM ET

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.12.2014 | 8:24 PM ET

Sunday song of the day: "I Will Dare" by The Replacements. In 1979, brothers Bob and Tommy Stinson, along with Bob Mars, formed a garage band called Dogbreath. Later, Paul Westerberg joined, and after a brief stint as The Impediments, the band was renamed The Replacements.

Famous for their often sloppy and drunken - but occasionally brilliant - shows, The Replacements released their first record in 1981. They broke up in 1991 (athough the band reformed in 2012).

I Will Dare is from the 1984 album Let It Be. You have to love a band that will title an album Let It Be, years after the Beatles..

Let's not be L-seven.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.13.2014 | 7:46 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. Sam the Sham (real name Domingo Samudio) wanted to do one of the "dance"songs that were popular in the early 60s, such as "The Twist", "The Locomotion", "Bistol Stomp", etc. He picked the dance known as the Hully Gully. Unfortunately, there was already a little-known Hully Gully song, so the record label said no to the idea, fearing a lawsuit. Instead, Sam just changed the name to "Wooly Bully" and wrote one of the best novelty songs ever.

The lyrics are a conversation between "Matty and Hattie" about seeing a buffalo and the unrelated topic of dancing. Pure nonsense, but extremely catchy.

Wooly Bully was the top selling song of 1965, but only reached number two on the US charts, It was topped one week by the Beach Boys' "Help Me, Rhonda" and the next by "Back in My Arms Again" by the Supremes. It stayed on the charts a long time, though, and sold over a million copies.

Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs, recording mostly novelty songs, went on to have one more big hit, "Little Red Riding Hood", and a handful of lesser hits. Here's the original recording, along with a lip-synched television performance.

I wear this crown of thorns.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,787
  • Post Score: 273

10.14.2014 | 12:25 AM ET

* Edited at 10.14.2014, 12:33 AM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.14.2014 | 9:23 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Of course I don't need to give any background information on Johnny Cash. As one of the legends of 20th Century music, his details are well known.

Later in his life, he recorded numerous cover versions of modern musicians, and of course the best-known is "Hurt," originally by Nine Inch Nails. The Johnny Cash version was included on the 2002 album "American IV: The Man Comes Around." It was released as a single in March 2003, about six months before Cash's death, and was the last single released while he was still alive.

The Cash version has a change to one line of the lyrics, replacing the original NiN line "I wear this crown of ****" with "I wear this crown of thorns", which was more in keeping with Cash's religious beliefs.

Here's the Johnny Cash cover, along with the Nine Inch Nails original.

Everybody's in despair, every girl and boy.

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

10.14.2014 | 11:37 PM ET

@ flying_frontkick

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who likes old school hard-core

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

10.15.2014 | 11:36 AM ET

You guys aren't the only ones ...

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

10.15.2014 | 5:59 PM ET

I don't even know what to say about this.  

* Edited at 10.15.2014, 5:59 PM ET *

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.15.2014 | 8:46 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "Mighty Quinn" by Manfred Mann. Manfred Mann is a South African musician who led and played keyboards in the 1960's band that shared his name. The band had a Number 1 hit in 1964 with "Do Wah Diddy Diddy". Manfred Mann had several UK hits before another big US hit with Mighty Quinn in 1968, which reached number 10 on the US charts.

The song was written by Bob Dylan during his recuperation from a 1966 motorcycle accident. During this period, he wrote numerous songs, and recorded over 100 songs with members of The Hawks, who had served as his backup band on a previous tour. The Hawks were later renamed just The Band.

The demos they recorded together became known as The Basement Tapes, and many became available on bootleg records starting in 1969 with the infamous "Great White Wonder."

Manfred Mann's version is known as Mighty Quinn, but the first official Dylan release of the song (A live version recorded at the 1969 Isle of Wight festival) was titled The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo) on Dylan's 1970 Self Portrait album. The Basement Tapes demo of the song was not released officially until the 1985 Biograph boxed set, this time titled Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn). This last variation is now the generally accepted title.

As for Manfred Mann, he formed a later band, known as Manfred Mann's Earth Band. It had another US hit with a cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded By The Light" in 1976, which reached Number 1 on the US charts.

Here's the 1969 Manfred Mann version of Mighty Quinn. It's a fun little song, but I much prefer the Dylan demo version. Unfortunately, his record company makes it difficult to find Bob Dylan original recordings on YouTube, so I suggest you seek it out elsewhere.

Roberto Duran ate two before a fight.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.16.2014 | 5:18 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: "Eat Steak" by The Reverend Horton Heat.  Jim Heath, AKA The Reverend Horton Heat, led a resurgence in rockabilly and psychobilly music in the 1990s.  His trio, also called The Reverend Horton Heat, released their first album, "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em" in 1990, fusing traditional rockabilly with punk, surf, swing and other genres.  

Since then, The Rev has released 10 additional albums.  He has never had a mainstream hit, but the often humorous songs and spirited stage shows have attracted a fairly large cult following.

"Eat Steak" is from the first album, and is the first Reverend Horton Heat song I ever heard.  I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB near Boise,Idaho from 1989 to 1993, and the college radio station there used to do an indie-rock show called "Mutant Pop" that played a lot of emerging music, where I first heard pre-"Nevermind" Nirvana and several other bands that would later make a splash in the indie explosion of 1991-1994.  That first hearing of Reverend Horton Heat stuck with me, and I've been a fan ever

Two days later they were reading him his rights.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,787
  • Post Score: 273

10.16.2014 | 8:17 PM ET

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

10.17.2014 | 4:45 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Out Come The Freaks" by Was (Not Was). Best known for the 1987 hit "Walk The Dinosaur", Was (Not Was) formed in 1979 and released their first album in 1981. David Weiss and Don ***enson (using the pseudonyms David Was and Don Was) made up the core of the band, which had a few official members and used numerous guest musicians (including such artists as Ozzy Osbourne, Mel Torme, Wayne Kramer of MC5, Iggy Pop, Leonard Cohen, and many others over the years).

Musically, Was (Not Was) tried a little bit of everything, from rock, jazz, disco, rockabilly, funk, and some that defied categorization. (Check out the very weird "Dad, I'm in Jail" if you get the chance.)

"Out Come The Freaks" is from the first 1981 self-titled album. Later, the band released sequels recorded in different styles, telling different stories, but with many similarities. The first was 1983's :(Return to the Valley of) Out Come The Freaks", followed by "Out Come The Freaks (Again)" in 1988.

Both David and Don Was went on to careers as record producers, music supervisors and other behind-the-scenes positions, with Don Was proving especially successful, producing records for Elton John, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, and numerous others.

Your mouth is a vast wasteland.

Page 246

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez aims to make it a 'beautiful disaster' for Vinicius Salvador at UFC Fight Night 241
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Fury Vs Usyk Final Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Jaleel Willis rushes Cedric Doumbe as brawl nearly breaks out at Bellator Paris weigh-ins
  • MMA Mania : Grudge Match! ‘Baddy’ Gets Bobby In Manchester!
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland calls out Paulo Costa for allegedly not signing UFC 302 contract, Costa responds
  • Middle Easy : Video – Sean O’Malley and Ryan Garcia Get Into Heated Debate During Live Stream: ‘I Could Literally Kill You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Books Edwards Vs Muhammad, Aspinall Vs Blaydes
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Gets Edwards Vs Muhammad, Aspinall Vs Blaydes
  • MMA Junkie : Bobby Green, Paddy Pimblett set to throw down at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : Interim heavyweight champ Tom Aspinall vs. Curtis Blaydes set for UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now
  • Middle Easy : UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier Offers Colby Covington Some Advice Following His Lackluster Effort Against Leon Edwards
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Key Bouts For UFC 304 In Manchester
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards, Tom Aspinall title defenses among five fights announced for UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 official with Leon Edwards vs. Belal Muhammad headliner and more in Manchester
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris weigh-in results: Title fight official, one fighter misses
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano prays Conor McGregor beats 'fake' Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Fans Cry Steroids After Paul Reveals New Physique
  • Middle Easy : Sean Strickland Claims Paulo Costa Hasn’t Signed Contract for UFC 302 Fight: ‘You’re Acting Like You’ve Got Ovaries’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3463: Bellator Paris and UFC Fight Night 241 previews, Fury-Usyk predictions, more