Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 249

tcrowl18
tcrowl18
  • Predictions:  144  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

11.07.2014 | 1:58 PM ET

"She sets me on fire"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

11.07.2014 | 4:33 PM ET

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

tcrowl18
tcrowl18
  • Predictions:  144  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

11.07.2014 | 4:36 PM ET

"She sets me on fire"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,309  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

11.07.2014 | 8:48 PM ET

Friday song of the day (Theme Week) : "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure. Released in 1992, Robert Smith was initially reluctant to record the song. After he wrote it, the music just seemed too familiar to him, and he was worried that he had unintentionally stolen it from someone else. Because of this, Smith called up many of his friends and played them the song to see if they could identify another song from which he may have unconsciously stolen parts of the music. Eventually he reached the conclusion that the music was similar to "Just Like Heaven", one of his own songs.

Tell her all the little things I'm gonna do

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.08.2014 | 4:54 PM ET

Saturday song of the day (Theme Week): "Saturday Night" by The Bay City Rollers. The Bay City Rollers were formed in Edinburgh, Scotland as "The Saxons" in 1966, and changed their name to the Bay City Rollers after throwing a dart at a map of the United States, hitting near Bay City, Michigan.

The band had some minor success in the UK before finally scoring some big UK hits in 1974 and 1975. In late 1975, their US record company, Arista, began a media blitz to push the band. The hyperbole was amazing, with the Rollers marketed as "the next Beatles". It succeeded, with the song Saturday Night reaching #1 on the US charts. Interestingly, the song had been released in the UK in 1973 and failed to chart at all, with a 1974 re-recording of the song released in the US in 1975.

The cheesy teen pop scored them a few lesser hits, but by 1977, the Rollers popularity in the US had fallen. The manufactured "Rollermania" made some money for the band and its record label, but quickly faded.

Yes, it was standard bubblegum pop, and not very good at that, but surprisingly, the song partially inspired The Ramones to write "Blitzkrieg Bop". According to Tommy Ramone, "“There was a big hit by the Bay City Rollers at the time called Saturday Night, which was a chant-type song. So I thought it would be fun to do for the Ramones too. And somehow I came up with ‘Hey! Ho! Let’s go!’.

Hey, I saw your guy with a different girl.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

11.08.2014 | 4:56 PM ET

"Is reality really realistic?"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,780
  • Post Score: 273

11.09.2014 | 11:14 AM ET

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

11.09.2014 | 12:19 PM ET

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.09.2014 | 11:34 PM ET

Sunday song of the day (Theme Week): "Sunday Girl" by Blondie. From the 1978 album, Parallel Lines, Sunday Girl reached #1 in the UK, but was never released as a single in the United States.

She's a sex bomb my baby - yeah

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.10.2014 | 7:25 PM ET

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.10.2014 | 8:43 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "Sex Bomb" by Flipper. Flipper was a noise and punk band that formed in 1979 in San Francisco. Their sound was slow and heavily distorted, presaging bands like the Melvins.

Sex Bomb has only one lyric: "She's a sex bomb my baby - yeah", screamed above discordant and noisy music. It was released as a single in 1981, and a different version was included on Flipper's first album the next year.

Here's the 1981 single version:

Shopping cart pusher or maybe someone groovy

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.11.2014 | 5:23 PM ET

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.11.2014 | 8:11 PM ET

The magnum opus of a living legend.

"الله أكبرl"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.11.2014 | 8:23 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "Walking In LA" by Missing Persons. Drummer Terry Bozzio met singer Dale Consalvi in 1979 while they were both working with Frank Zappa on his Joe's Garage albums. They married that same year, and formed Missing Persons in 1980, with fellow former Zappa musician Warren Cuccurullo.

The band played a hard rock version of New Wave pop, They released their first album "Spring Session M" (which is an anagram of "Missing Persons") in 1982. This coincided with the early days of MTV, and Dale Bozzio's squeaky singing and sexy outfits made their videos very popular.

While her stage attire and persona influenced many later female singers, Lady Gaga is the most blatant rip-off.

After their early success, Missing Persons faded away, releasing a few more albums before breaking up in 1986. Dale and Terry Bozzio divorced at around the same time. Dale had a mostly low-key solo career afterward, while Terry did lots of session and tour work. Warren Cuccurullo went on to be a member of Duran Duran for 15 years. There have been periodic Missing Persons reunion tours since then, mostly without Terry Bozzio.

Walking in LA reached number 70 on the US charts in 1983. Although Missing Persons was very popular on MTV, they had limited record sales, with none of their songs cracking the top 40, although the Spring Session M album went gold and reached number 17 on the album charts.

Here's the album version of Walking in LA, as well as the band performing the song live at the 1983 US festival. I attended the 1982 three-day US festival, but had to work and couldn't go to the 1983 shows. Anyway, you can definitely see from the live show where Lady Gaga took a large part of her act.

Said California is the place you oughta be.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.12.2014 | 3:49 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. I got to thinking the other day that TV theme songs that tell you the basic concept of the show are a thing of the past. They were pretty common for comedies, from Gilligan's Island telling of the shipwreck, to the Brady Bunch giving the story of the man named Brady and the lovely lady, etc, to the Jefferson's movin' on up. Even some dramas and action shows used to have theme songs that gave you an idea of the story, such as The Ballad of Paladin from "Have Gun, Will Travel" or the theme from the Dukes of Hazzard.

The latest story-telling theme song that springs to mind is the theme from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and that has been off the air for almost 20 years. I'm sure there have been a handful since then, but now they're pretty rare.

Anyway, one of the classic TV themes is "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" from the Beverly Hillbillies. The show first aired in September 1962. The theme song was written by series creator Paul Henning, with music provided by bluegrass legends Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, and vocals by Jerry Scoggins. Two months after the first show aired, Flatt and Scruggs recorded a different version that was released as a single, with Lester Flatt providing the vocals for the record. The record reached #44 on the main Billboard chart, and hit #1 on the country music chart .

Here is the Flatt and Scruggs recording, along with the actual TV theme,

And then the jukebox plays a song I used to know.

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

11.12.2014 | 5:57 PM ET

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

11.12.2014 | 7:01 PM ET

Next up in the Darkthrone anthology, Transilvanian Hunger.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,916  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,408
  • Post Score: 322

11.12.2014 | 7:13 PM ET

Glad someone is posting Darkthrone here. Used to talk to Fenriz here and there over the years. Good dude. Some trivia you might not know, but this was Fenriz's project STORM (Viking/folk metal) from the mid-90s. He later used this riff for Quintessence off of Panzerfaust. Always cool to go back and listen to him sing on this:

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

11.12.2014 | 7:34 PM ET

Yea Panzerfaust is up next.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.13.2014 | 10:49 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)" by The Greg Kihn Band. From his sixth album, "Rockihnroll", Greg Kihn had his first big hit with The Breakup Song. Released in 1981, it reached #15 on the Billboard chart.

He went on to have a bigger hit in two years with "Jeopardy." Kihn continued to record and tour throughout the 1980s and 1990s, and had second and third careers in radio and writing novels.

Tomorrow: Who built Stonehenge?

Page 249

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Watch ‘Countdown To UFC 301’ Video
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301: How to watch Rio de Janeiro fight card, lineup, odds, preview videos, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: What is the best UFC fight still to come in 2024?
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Confirms $5 Mil Payday To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Made $5 Mil To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes vs. Bobby King co-headlines Bellator Champions Series: Dublin
  • Jits Magazine : New Wave Jiu-Jitsu Dominate In Enigma Invitational 15 Results
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC Returns To PPV In Rio!
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Colby Covington noncommittal on ‘nobody’ Ian Machado Garry fight: ‘He has to show me he’s serious’
  • MMA Mania : Rogan: Topuria Turned Down Volk Rematch In Perth
  • MMA Mania : What’s Next For Matheus Nicolau?
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Brazilian National Championship (Brasileiro) 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Borralho Vs. Craig Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : Inspirational Pereira ‘Not Worried’ About Legacy Talk
  • MMA Mania : White ‘Probably A Little Mad’ About McGregor BKFC Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Jairzinho Rozenstruik plans to reconnect with ‘my real power source’ in Suriname, return against a top heavyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55