Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,174  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 242

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,165  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,412
  • Post Score: 321

09.03.2014 | 4:52 PM ET

@psychicdeath

I saw Black Oak Arkansas about 10 years ago with this band in Madras, Oregon. As you could imagine, the turnout was pretty interesting:

* Edited at 09.03.2014, 4:53 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,346  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

09.03.2014 | 5:01 PM ET

@OldNick
Yeah, apparently they're still touring, and even released an album last year.  Jim Dandy is a whole lot older and fatter, from the latest pictures I've seen.

Also, quite a contrast in musical styles between Black Oak and that band.

* Edited at 09.03.2014, 5:04 PM ET *

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.04.2014 | 3:34 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: One of my favorite songs of all time, from one of my favorite artists: 1972's "Satellite of Love" by Lou Reed. This comes from Reed's second solo album, the classic "Transformer." His first self-titled album and Transformer both contain songs that he had originally written for the Velvet Underground as well as newer material. Satellite of Love was one of the Velvets era tunes, often performed in concert and recorded for "Loaded" the last true Velvet Underground album ("Squueze", released by the Doug Yule version of the Velvets doesn't count. Any band calling itself the Velvet Underground without Lou Reed and John Cale is an abomination). The song didn't make the final cut of Loaded, so for most people, it remains a Lou Reed solo work.

Besides just being a great song, you can hear the distinctive voice of David Bowie (who served as producer for Transformer) singing backup. How cool is that? Equally cool is that Mystery Science Theater 3000 named the home of Joel and the Bots "The Satellite of Love" after the song.

The best live show experience of my life took place at a Lou Reed show in July 1989. I was stationed in Madrid, Spain at the time, and a few of us from the base went to see the show at the Vincente Calderon stadium. The headliner was Simple Minds, with Lou Reed as the supporting act. Kind of backwards, but Simple Minds were big at the time. After performing the then-current "New York" album in it's entirety, Lou played some of his earlier songs. The best moment of the night, for me at least, was during the second encore, when he busted out "Satellite of Love". 25,000 drunken Spaniards and I all sang along on a hot and sweaty Madrid night. The most perfect concert experience of my life. I've seen Lou perform probably a dozen times.  All good, but that 1989 concert far from home was the best.

And you're a prima ballerina on a spring afternoon

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

09.05.2014 | 12:14 AM ET

This is an amazing live performance; I miss old System and their insane amount of energy.

* Edited at 09.05.2014, 12:15 AM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.05.2014 | 5:24 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Personality Crisis" by the New York Dolls. Formed in 1971, the band included Sylvain Sylvain, Billy Murcia, David Johansen, Johnny Thunders and Arthur "Killer" Kane. Billy Murcia died in 1972 and was replaced by Jerry Nolan. They gained a cult following in New York playing live shows, with the gimmick of dressing in women's clothes. Mercury records signed them in 1973, with the self-titled debut album released in July of that year.

The album didn't sell very well, nor did the 1974 followup, "Too Much Too Soon." The band broke up in 1975, although Sylvain and Johansen toured for two more years as the New York Dolls with different band members before hanging it up altogether. The Dolls never hit it big, but had a profound effect on the punk rock scene that would follow.

Afterward, Sylvain performed solo and with several different bands. Johnny Thunders and Nolan formed the Heartbreakers with Richard Hell (definitely not the Tom Petty band of the same name), and Kane formed Killer Kane with Blackie Lawless. David Johansen had the biggest post-Dolls career, recording and touring as a solo act (both as himself and as his alter ego Buster Poindexter, who had a hit in 1987 with "Hot Hot Hot"). He has also had a successful acting career, playing the Ghost of Christmas Past in "Scrooged", and in numerous character roles in TV and movies.

Only Sylvain and Johansen survive from the original New York Dolls. Murcia, of course, died in the early days of the band from an overdose. Drugs also claimed Johnny Thunders, who died in 1991 under mysterious circumstances. Nolan died after suffering a stroke in 1992, and Arthur Kane died in 2004 of leukemia. 

Johansen, Sylvain and Kane reunited as the New York Dolls with new members for a one-time appearance at the Meltdown Festival in London. It went well, and they planned to continue, but just 22 days later, Kane died. The two surviving members went on to record three more New York Dolls albums, and tour occasionally.

This is probably their best-known song, "Personality Crisis:, from the 1973 debut album. 

From the Liverpool docks to the Hollywood Bowl

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

09.05.2014 | 11:16 PM ET

^Holy ******* **** I have not heard this song in a really long time, I remember killing this **** on Guitar Hero. In my eyes, the New York Dolls are pretty much the original punk band. It's a shame they didn't blow up in their time.

"الله أكبرl"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.06.2014 | 5:21 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "All the Way from Memphis" by Mott the Hoople. Probably Mott the Hoople's second best-known song (after the David Bowie-penned "All the Young Dudes"), it was on 1973's "Mott" album.

The possibly apocryphal story goes that while on tour in the southern United States, Mott guitarist Mick Ralphs decided to drive to Memphis with one other band member, after checking his guitar on the flight that carried the rest of the band. Somehow the airline lost track of the guitar and it ended up in Oriole, Kentucky instead of Memphis. Singer Ian Hunter wrote the song on the day of the concert and the band performed it for the first time that night. Ralphs and his guitar were eventually reunited.

Ralphs later went on to form Bad Company, and Ian Hunter has had a successful solo career. The group reunited for shows in 2009 and 2013.

The cellar door was open; I could never stay away.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.07.2014 | 6:00 PM ET

Sunday song of the day: It's easy to dismiss The Lemonheads' early 90's popularity as the result of Evan Dando's pretty boy hype, but they did produce some good music. This is "It's a Shame About Ray" from the 1992 album of the same name. Just a nice sad ballad that was a refreshing change of pace in the time of grunge.

A starry night, a campfire light

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.08.2014 | 8:03 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "Cowboy Song", by Thin Lizzy. I always get the impression Thin Lizzy is under-appreciated these days.They had several hits and a very distinctive sound, but tend to be forgotten more often than some of their contemporaries. This might be due to the fact that they just sort of faded because of Phil Lynott's drug and alcohol addiction.

Cowboy Song is from the 1976 album "Jailbreak", which also included their biggest hit "The Boys Are Back in Town". 

Lynott died in 1986 at the age of 36, as a result of infections and pneumonia caused by his heroin addiction.

You see us together, chasing the moonlight

Legz
Legz
  • Predictions:  21,645  |  78.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,169

09.08.2014 | 11:56 PM ET

"This is Shooto!"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

09.09.2014 | 12:12 AM ET

"..."

Legz
Legz

09.09.2014 | 12:13 AM ET

Don't ruin my hip-hop with Big L. I'll go Solange on you *****!

"This is Shooto!"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.09.2014 | 12:16 AM ET

What's wrong with Big L?

"..."

Legz
Legz

09.09.2014 | 12:17 AM ET

Scarcasm bro.

"This is Shooto!"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.09.2014 | 12:20 AM ET

My apologies.  I'm not good at interpreting sarcasm.

"..."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

09.09.2014 | 1:20 AM ET

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.09.2014 | 9:57 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "Cinnamon Girl" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. From the 1969 album "Everyone Knows This is Nowhere", Cinnamon Girl is an almost perfect juxtaposition of wi****l lyrics and harsh driving guitars.

After his time with Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young recorded a solo album. Everyone Knows This is Nowhere was his second album, and first with longtime backing band Crazy Horse. A really good start to a long and experimental solo career.

Tomorrow: Turn it up. Turn it up. Turn it up. You're killing me.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

09.09.2014 | 10:13 PM ET

Niel Young's music is awesome! 

But unfortunately I can't listen to this song anymore. My one roommate two years ago got drunk, hooked up with this girl. When we asked him what she was like all he could remember was that she smelt like cinnamon. He ended up getting her number and they went out for a few months, so whenever she came over my roommates and I would blast this song on repeat. 

Listened to it far too many times in such a short span... maybe in 20 years I'll get it a listen again.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.09.2014 | 10:24 PM ET

"..."

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

09.10.2014 | 4:20 PM ET

Page 242

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Results: Makhachev vs. Poirier
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Stickland Unloads On Keyboard Warrior Belal
  • MMA Junkie : Logan Paul offers to replace Mike Tyson to fight brother Jake Paul
  • MMA Mania : New And Improved!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video and photo gallery
  • MMAFighting.com : Kevin Holland explains why he turned down Nick Diaz to fight at UFC 302 instead
  • MMA Mania : Video! ‘Diamond’ Mobbed By Fans On Lafayette Street
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Rankings Update – June 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul reacts to Mike Tyson boxing fight postponement: 'I'm heartbroken'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 preview show: Will Dustin Poirier actually finish his story against Islam Makhachev?
  • Middle Easy : Nick Diaz’s UFC Return At 41 Labeled ‘Much More Dangerous’, Given Chance vs. Gunshy Contender
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Gambling Preview: Can Dustin Poirier pull off the upset against Islam Makhachev?
  • MMA Mania : Tyson Vs. Paul Postponed
  • MMA Junkie : Video: WWE champion Cody Rhodes cuts promo for Dustin Poirier ahead of UFC 302: 'Finish your story'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch WWE champ Cody Rhodes drop ‘Finish Your Story’ promo for Dustin Poirier at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Video! Costa Fails Bizarre Twerk Lesson
  • Middle Easy : UFC 302 Faceoffs: Dustin Poirier’s Final Stand Against Islam Makhachev: ‘The Talk Is Done’
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing fight postponed due to medical advice
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 final faceoffs: Watch Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier’s tense staredown
  • UFC.com : Mickey Gall Is Back And Better Than Ever