Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,200  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 243

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,372  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

09.10.2014 | 4:53 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "P.R.D.C.T." by Bratmobile. Probably second only to Bikini Kill as originators of the Riot Grrrl genre, the band started before any of the members played instruments. Alison Wolfe and Molly Neuman wrote the zine "Girl Germs" and were convinced by Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening to play a show with Bikini Kill and Some Velvet Sidewalk in 1991. They tried to get out of it, but with borrowed equipment and some rudimentary practice, they did play the show. A few months later they added Erin Smith on guitar.

This is from their first album "Pottymouth", and they were still pretty raw when they they recorded the album in 1992. P.R.D.C.T. stands for Punk Rock Dream Come True. It's a really fun little song with lots of raw energy, but suffers from the poor recording. Vocals are a bit far back in the mix, the playing is energetic and unskilled (they got better...), but I can't help loving this song. A nice entertaining bit of do it yourself punk.

The band broke up in 1994, and its members all performed in different bands over the years, most notably Cold Cold Hearts. Bratmobile reformed in 1999 and released two later albums before breaking up again in 2004.

I never got to see Bratmobile perform live, although I did see Cold Cold Hearts (with Wolfe and Smith) play a few times.

Frustrated women, have to be in by twelve o'clock.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  40,444  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

09.10.2014 | 8:57 PM ET

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

09.10.2014 | 9:13 PM ET

I could never get into Faith No More, but this is a pretty sweet cover.

* Edited at 09.10.2014, 9:13 PM ET *

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,797
  • Post Score: 273

09.11.2014 | 1:47 PM ET

"^Holy ******* **** I have not heard this song in a really long time, I remember killing this **** on Guitar Hero. In my eyes, the New York Dolls are pretty much the original punk band. It's a shame they didn't blow up in their time."

Tell that to Iggy Pop & The Stooges! :P

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

09.11.2014 | 2:48 PM ET

Detroit bands laid the groundwork for punk without a doubt.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

09.11.2014 | 2:48 PM ET

Another one:  

* Edited at 09.11.2014, 2:51 PM ET *

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

amp112
amp112

09.11.2014 | 3:20 PM ET

I like how this turned into a proto-punk thread. Anyone here ever heard of The Seeds? I dare you to listen to it and not see similarities to the Dead Kennedys and the Sex Pistols

* Edited at 09.11.2014, 3:21 PM ET *

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973

09.11.2014 | 3:26 PM ET

@OMG, Death is such a ******* rad and underrated band. Did you ever see the documentary?

"Frig off, bud"

amp112
amp112

09.11.2014 | 4:12 PM ET

I just saw it a few months ago. Great story. Funny how dumb luck played a huge role in their revival.
psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.11.2014 | 6:30 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: "Dirty Water" by the Standells. A fine example of 1960's garage rock, Dirty Water is an facetious ode to Boston, citing the polluted river and bay, crime, a curfew for college women, and the Boston Strangler. Released in 1965, it reached #11 on the Billboard charts, and has since become a tradition in Boston, being played following wins by several of the city's sports teams.

Surprisingly, none of the band members had ever been to Boston when they recorded the song. The Standells were a Los Angeles band, and the song was written by the band's producer after he was mugged during a trip to Boston.

I am the king of the divan

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.12.2014 | 4:36 PM ET

Friday song of the day" "Ca Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand. This is a fun one, and very strange. The song is mostly in French, and has a jumpy little tune. The title is a french idiom that means, roughly, "Everything's going well for me."

It was released in 1977, and is generally grouped in with punk, although to me it's more of a punk-flavored novelty tune. The lyrics are all over the place, but mostly concern a drunken life. The English translation features a cat who has drunk all the singer's whiskey, the singer throwing up in a gutter, the singer's girlfriend calling him lazy, etc.

Although the song is credited to Plastic Bertrand, it's actually a bit of a Milli Vanilli thing, with the singing really provided by the record's producer, Lou Deprijck. A video was later made with Plastic Bertrand lip synching to Deprijck's vocals.

Newcastle Brown can sure smack you down

gunn4206
gunn4206

09.13.2014 | 1:06 AM ET

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.13.2014 | 4:03 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "30 Days in the Hole" by Humble Pie. After leaving Small Faces, Steve Marriot formed Humble Pie with Peter Frampton and others. After four albums, Frampton left the band. He was replaced, and in 1972, Humble Pie released their fifth album, "Smokin'," which became the band's best selling record. It included this tune, "30 Days in the Hole," basically a song about drugs.

Marriott died in 1991, in a fire believed to be started by smoking in bed.

Such a humble man

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.14.2014 | 10:10 PM ET

Sunday song of the day: "Panic In Detroit" by David Bowie. A really well-written song that tells a story with images. The guitar by Mick Ronson is exceptional. 

Panic In Detroit was included on the 1973 album "Aladdin Sane" (Which is a bit of nice wordplay itself: "A Lad Insane".)

I'm diseased; I don't mind.

Cheese32165
Cheese32165
  • Predictions:  24,754  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,064
  • Post Score: 162

09.15.2014 | 7:13 AM ET

New Slipknot with new masks.

"Tom Breese Future Champ"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.15.2014 | 7:06 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney. Formed by former members of Green River, Mudhoney released "Touch Me I'm Sick" as their first single in 1988. While not the first grunge song, it was very influential and helped popularize struggling label Sub Pop. 

The distorted fuzzy guitars and singer Mark Arm's deranged yelling epitomized early grunge. Mudhoney never had a lot of mainstream, success, but continue to tour and record today.

Now he has no home

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,797
  • Post Score: 273

09.15.2014 | 9:34 PM ET

* Edited at 09.15.2014, 9:52 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

gunn4206
gunn4206

09.16.2014 | 3:09 AM ET

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.16.2014 | 11:42 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day. "My Pal Foot Foot" by The Shaggs. Quite possibly the worst band ever, but held by many to be in the "So bad it's good" category.

In 1968, based on his mother's palm reading prediction in his youth that his three daughters (her grandaughters) would form a popular music group, Austin Wiggin insisted that his daughters do just that. He pulled them out of school, bought them instruments, forced them to practice and booked shows at a local town hall. 

The next year, the sisters, Dot, Helen, Rachael, and Betty, released their only studio album. It was called "Philosophy of the World", and was financed by their father. One Thousand copied were pressed. The guy who recorded and pressed it disappeared with the money and 900 copies.

The remaining 100 copies barely made a ripple, but one found its way to Frank Zappa, who played a few cuts from it on the Doctor Demento radio show. Zappa praised The Shaggs as "better than the Beatles", and eventually the album reached cult status. In 1980, the album was re-released by Rounder Records, and Rolling Stone Magazine chose The Shaggs as "Comeback of the Year". Later some previously recorded tracks were released as a second album "Shaggs Own Thing."

Musically, The Shaggs have an otherworldly quality, mostly as a result of their complete musical ineptitude. The songs in their heads (and on record) bear no relationship to anything usually categorized as music. The playing is bad, the singing is off-key and monotonous with strange cadences, and the lyrics border on insanity.

My Pal Foot Foot is about a neighbor's dog who is missing.

My pal's name is Foot Foot 
He always likes to roam
My pal's name is Foot Foot
I never find him home

I go to his house
Knock at his door
People come out and say 
Foot Foot don't live here no more

My pal Foot Foot
Always likes to roam
My pal Foot Foot 
Now he has no home

Where will Foot Foot go
What will Foot Foot do
Oh, Foot Foot
I wish I could find you

I've looked here, I've looked there
I've looked everywhere
Oh, Foot Foot
Why can't I find you?

Foot Foot, where can you be?
Foot Foot, why won't you answer me?
Foot Foot, Oh Foot Foot
Wherever you are
I want you to come home with me

I don't have time to roam
I have things to do 
I have to go home
Oh, Foot Foot, where are you?

If Foot Foot didn't like to roam so well
He would still have a place to dwell
Foot Foot, please answer me
I know where you are
You're behind that tree

Foot Foot, please come to me
Foot Foot, now that you're here
Won't you come home
Foot Foot, promise me this
That you will never again roam

A perfectly strange chunk of :music.

It already started in the city!

gunn4206
gunn4206

09.17.2014 | 2:29 AM ET

^^ psychicdeath that song is so  terrible that it's amazing haha

Page 243

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Refuses to Make the Same Mistake in Boxing That He Did in MMA Against Anderson Silva
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul says he would ‘kill’ Sean O’Malley, wants to fight at UFC 303 before Mike Tyson bout
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley’s Coach Questions the Quality of Conor McGregor’s Sparring Partners Ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-GLORY Kickboxing champ Simon Marcus resumes path toward UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Joshua Van relieved to make it to UFC on ESPN 58 fight week after several bout cancellations
  • Middle Easy : 19 Year-Old Raul Rosas Jr. Chasing After Jon Jones’ UFC Record: ‘I Got 4 Years To Break It’
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC contender Merab Dvalishvili decided to no longer 'chase the finish' in fights
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Could be over early’: Ellerbe says Tank does everything better than Martin
  • MMA Junkie : Beneil Dariush no longer chasing UFC fight vs. Dustin Poirier: 'That shipped has passed'
  • Middle Easy : Report: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler ‘Not Looking Good’, UFC Is Hoping For ‘Plan B’ Or ‘Plan C’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Middle finger was not directed at Jon Jones in UFC 'Fight Inc' documentary
  • Bad Left Hook : Espinoza signs with Top Rank ahead of June 21 title defense
  • Bad Left Hook : Golden Boy undercard for June 27 show headlined by Fulghum vs Ellis
  • Middle Easy : Dricus Du Plessis ‘Ready’ To Face Israel Adesanya, ‘Would Love’ To Fight Khamzat Chimaev If He Beats Robert Whittaker
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis: Robert Whittaker beating Khamzat Chimaev at UFC on ABC 6 doesn't warrant title shot
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to be the Serena Williams of boxing’: Shields on future goals, July return
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya 'coming for heads,' not UFC championship belts
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler fight ‘very much in limbo’ for UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Report: Connie Comeback ‘Very Much In Limbo’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4 official weigh-ins results: One heavyweight misses the limit