Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 250

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.14.2014 | 11:02 AM ET

This album is ******* amazing. I've been listening to it a decent amount lately, and it brings me back to my grade 9 days. This **** is empowering, I love it.

"الله أكبرl"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.14.2014 | 11:08 AM ET

Those are the dudes from Killswitch, right? Solid album. 

"Frig off, bud"

Anik
Anik

11.14.2014 | 6:25 PM ET

Yup, it's the founding guitarist (who plays all of the instruments on the album, as well as producing it) and the founding lead singer (who was kicked out of Killswitch and later brought back in after Howard left).

It's such a powerful album, I've missed it.

"الله أكبرl"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,753  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,783
  • Post Score: 273

11.14.2014 | 7:33 PM ET

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,322  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198

11.14.2014 | 10:44 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Elvis is Everywhere" by Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper. Mojo Nixon made a comedy version of rockabilly. For his first several albums he partnered with Skid Roper, who provided music to go along with Nixon's lyrics.

This is probably his most well-known song, from his fourth album, "Bo-Day-Shus!!!". Released in 1987, "Elvis is Everywhere" was famously featured on Beavis and Butthead.

After 1990, Mojo performed without Skid Roper, sometimes solo, and sometimes with a backing band called The Toadliquors. He retired from music in 2004, although he still occasionally performs live. These days he works as a disc jockey on Sirius XM radio..

Just sits in her cage. Growing old.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

Anik
Anik

11.15.2014 | 12:20 PM ET

@flying_frontkick Tool, but more specifically Maynard James Keenan, is amazing.

"الله أكبرl"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.15.2014 | 12:45 PM ET

Agreed, Maynard is legend.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.15.2014 | 12:52 PM ET

Tool's been my favorite band since I was about 14. Gotta give equal credit to pretty much all of the band members, even though it's hard not to fan boy over Maynard. Adam (guitars) pretty much makes all their videos and does all the designs for artwork/merch unless they have an artist like Alex Grey or Chet Zar design something for them. Danny is one of the best drummers of all time IMO and Justin is the perfect bassist for the band. As good an album as Undertow was, their music took a completely different turn when they poached Justin away from Peach. Lateralus remains their masterpiece to me. Especially the Holy Gift sequence.

If you arrange the tracks on Lateralus as follows: 6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 131, 12, 2, 11, 3, 10 The album flows uninterrupted like a concept album. 

Edited to add link

* Edited at 11.15.2014, 12:56 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 6 days, 21 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
Anik
Anik

11.15.2014 | 1:58 PM ET

Danny Carey is an amazing drummer, just mentioning him reminds me of his opening drums on Ticks and Leeches.

I love all the patterns from Lateralus, it just shows how dedicated to their craft Tool are. On the song 'Lateralus' for example, MJK sings the lyrics in the same pattern as the Fibonacci sequence. Like, the syllables are sung in the Fibonacci sequence (ascending and descending order), which is pretty cool because the sound doesn't come across as forced in any way.

Furthermore, the actual singing in the song starts at 1:37, or 1.618 minutes into the song. 1.618 is known as the golden ratio, a proportion found all throughout nature. Pitch shifting songs down from their standard 440hz pitch by 1.618 changes the sound completely and gives it a more surround-sound effect, makes it sound louder, clearer and infinitely better. 'Lateralus' was meant to be played at that pitch, because it sounds better than any other song I've ever played at that pitch.

This is the closest I could find to 'Lateralus' being pitch shifted down by 1.618. This is 'Lateralus' at the infamous 432hz pitch, which is shifted down from its original pitch of 440hz by 1.818.

Not only do they have all of this cool **** behind their work, but if you just give their music a regular listen it still sounds amazing. The guitar, the drumming, their arrangements and best of all, MJK's beautiful and soft voice makes Tool a legendary band WITHOUT all of the other **** they add to their music.

Needless to say, Tool is on some other ****.

"الله أكبرl"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.15.2014 | 7:04 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "White Bird" by It's A Beautiful Day.  It's A Beautiful Day was formed in San Francisco in 1967 at the height of the hippie era.  They fused rock, folk and classical, led by violinist David LaFlamme and his wife Linda LaFlamme on keyboards.  

They released their first album in 1969, and it contained White Bird, the group's most well-known song.  The song received lots of local airplay in the Bay Area, so a shortened version was released as a single.  The single rose to #3 in San Francisco, but failed nationally, climbing only to #118 on the Billboard chart.  Later, many album orientated rock stations played the album track throughout the 1970s, so the song became more influential than its sales would indicate.

As a footnote, San Francisco promoter Bill Graham, who managed the Grateful Dead and other bands, demanded that in order for the Dead to play Woodstock, organizers had to include one of his other bands as well.  He sent tapes of two bands to the organizers, and they liked both.  Unable to decide, they flipped a coin.  It came up that It's A Beautiful Day lost the coin toss, so they stayed home while Santana played Woodstock.

The band toured for several years, but their brand of classically influenced rock was too heavy on classical and too light on rock for the times, and they never hit the mainstream.  They broke up in 1974, although there have been a few reunions featuring the surviving members. A reunion in 2000 proved more permanent, with this version of the band still active today.

History is written by winners, baby.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.16.2014 | 8:18 PM ET

Sunday song of the day: "Sex On Wheels" by My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. The band formed in 1987 and specialized in a sleazy mix of electronic and industrial music. Sex on Wheels is from their third album, 1991's "Sexplosion". The song reached #15 on the Billboard Dance/Club chart, and is probably their most well known song. In 1992, it was featured on the soundtrack to the movie "Cool World" and charted again, this time reaching #17 on the Billboard Alternative chart.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult still records and tours today, releasing their 11th album in 2014.

When every answer's wrong.

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

11.16.2014 | 11:28 PM ET

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

11.16.2014 | 11:44 PM ET

Next up, a track from Panzerfaust.

* Edited at 11.16.2014, 11:45 PM ET *

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.17.2014 | 11:15 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister. To me, this is one of the best examples of a particular genre of the mid to late 1980s, which was kind of a mixture of pop and smooth jazz. Another example that comes to mind is Basia's "New Day For You".

Swing Out Sister started as a trio in England, with singer Corinne Drewery joining keyboardist Andy Connell and drummer Martin Jackson. Breakout was released in the UK in 1986, where it reached #4, and in the UnitedStates the following year, where it reached #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was nominated for two Grammys.

Swing Out Sister had a few further UK hit, but never scored another big hit in the United States, with "Twilight World" reaching only #31 on the US charts. While recording their second album in 1989, Martin left the group, and Drewery and Connell continued as a duo. They continue with recording and touring today, with several additional albums. They are particularly popular in Japan.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlplh_swing-out-sister-break-out_music

Tomorrow: I know you're workin' for the CIA.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.17.2014 | 11:16 PM ET

Oops, double post

* Edited at 11.18.2014, 1:14 AM ET *

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

11.18.2014 | 3:17 PM ET

I'm sure that the first time most of you heard Johnny Horton was Luke Rockhold's walkout song. Thought I'd post a couple others. I used to listen to these as a kid (that seems like a lifetime ago), but I hadn't heard any of them in years until Rockhold came out to The Battle of New Orleans.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

11.18.2014 | 7:08 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "Why Can't We Be Friends" by War. The band that would later become War originated in 1962 as The Creators. Formed in Long Beach, California, the band played funk and released a few records. In 1968, the band was renamed Nightshift, and started playing to back football player Deacon Jones in his singing career. It was during one such show in 1969 that Eric Burdon, former singer of The Animals, first saw the band. The English Burdon had recently moved to San Francisco, and had been looking for a new band, and Nightshift seemed to fit the bill.

The band's name was changed again to "Eric Burdon and War", and they played some shows in Southern California before recording their 1970 debut album "Eric Burdon Declares War". The album included the hit "Spill The Wine" which reached #3 on the US charts. They recorded a second album in 1970, and in 1971, Burdon left the band, which then continued as simply "War".

War had several hits in its post-Burdon incarnation, including The Cisco Kid, Lowrider, The World is a Ghetto, and others. Why Can't We Be Friends is the title track from their 1975 album and reached #6 on the Billboard charts. War recruited their old colleague Deacon Jones to help sing backup on the song.

Save up all your bread and fly Trans Love Airways to San Francisco U.S.A.

Gramz
Gramz
  • Predictions:  7,369  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 232

11.18.2014 | 9:14 PM ET

"My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud." - Henry Rollins

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

11.19.2014 | 1:57 PM ET

If you don't listen to Chael Sonnen's podcast you are missing out.  

Today's guest, NYBA

#BESTEVA

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2014 | 6:08 PM ET

Page 250

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win