Topic: Off Topic

Song you're listening to right now

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,200  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.07.2011 | 2:44 PM ET

I love music and like to see what everyone else likes, I like pretty much all types of music. 

So what are you guys listening to?

Right now I'm listening to "AssMilk" by Tyler the Creator feat. Earl Sweatshirt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyWFVfnZ-k

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Page 244

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  40,444  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

09.17.2014 | 7:44 PM ET

I CAN TURN 10 INTO 20 CHICKENS

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,372  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

09.17.2014 | 9:08 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "Let's Have A War" by Fear. Fear was one of the early LA hardcore punk bands. Singer Lee Ving had the ability to sing really fast, but still articulate enough that the lyrics were easily understood. This is from their first album, 1982's "The Record." 

Fear is probably most well-known for their appearance on Saturday Night Live, complete with imported punks for a mosh pit (which included Ian McKay of Minor Threat, members of The Meeatmen and Cro-Mags, among others). The pit got a bit out of control, and the dancing caused around $20,000 in damage to the set. The producers pulled the plug on the act as they launched into their fourth song, coincidentally, "Let's Have A War."

Here's the album version of the song, followed by the SNL appearance.

Got arrested for inciting a peaceful riot.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

09.17.2014 | 10:13 PM ET

psychicdeath, I don't know why but that story with Fear on SNL, reminded me of when Rage Against the Machine played "Killing in the Name" on the BBC. They were suppose to do a censored version of the song, the band agreed to do it. However, lead singer - Zack de la Rocha, sang the censored version of the song, until the end verse came.

Zack proceeded to to sing "**** you I won't do what you tell me!" (very appropriate for the moment), the BBC hosts cut the mic from the band by the fourth "**** you...".

Rage Against the Machine on BBC

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

09.17.2014 | 11:01 PM ET

Lol, why would anyone expect Rage not to do that, especially being told not to. And god forbid someone says the word '****' on the radio, like it's the end of the world or something.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.18.2014 | 8:16 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: "Every Picture Tells A Story" by Rod Stewart. Rod Stewart makes me sad. He's mostly known now for sheer crap he put out in the late 1970s and 1980s, like "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" That in itself I could just ignore, if he hadn't once been truly great. Much of his music with the Jeff Beck Group, Faces, and his early solo work was excellent. Then for some reason he started putting out lowest-common-denominator garbage. Why? I don't know. Was it the cocaine, the money, or what?

It's not uncommon for artists to suffer a drop in quality as they age. That's expected. The Rolling Stones of today aren't the same exciting band they were in the 1960s and 1970s, and that's fine. In Stewart's case, though, the drop was so fast and so far that it almost defies belief. All I can guess is that it must have been a conscious decision to change directions and go for money instead of quality. About the only artist I can think of who fell further is Stevie Wonder, and only because he started at a much higher level than Stewart. Early Stewart was great; early Stevie was unbelievable. Besides, Stevie's fall wasn't nearly as fast, and can be explained away as increased sentimentality as he aged.

Anyway, enough of my rant. Here's one of Rod's greats, the title track from his third solo album in 1971:

My opening line may be a bit passé.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  40,444  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

09.19.2014 | 8:08 AM ET

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.19.2014 | 6:31 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Lovergirl" by Teena Marie. Teena Marie was a protege of Rick James, but had legitimate talent on her own, writing and producing most of her own records. 1984's "Lovergirl" was her biggest hit, reaching #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Just a nice funky song.

In 2004, while she was sleeping in a hotel room, a framed picture fell off the wall and hit her on the head. This caused a serious concussion, and she suffered from occasional seizures for the rest of her life. In 2010, she died in her sleep. The autopsy failed to find a specific cause of death, but many speculated that it was related to her seizures.

I'm on a wavelength far from home.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.20.2014 | 10:00 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo. This was Wall of Voodoo's only hit. It reached number 58 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1983, and the song's video was played quite often in the early days of MTV.

The song refers to unregulated radio stations that operated in Mexico in the 1960s and 1970s. With their higher wattage, the "Border Blaster" stations could reach audiences far into the United States. Guitarist Marc Moreland wrote the music and came up with the concept of Mexican radio for the song, while singer Stan Ridgway wrote the lyrics. The song appeared on Wall of Voodoo's second album "Call of the West", and not long after it became a hit, troubles with the band and management caused Ridgway and two other members to leave the band. Ridgway had a moderately successful solo career afterward, and Wall of Voodoo continued to perform and record until 1988.

It's a pity that you're so dirty

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.21.2014 | 10:22 PM ET

Sunday song of the day: "Buffalo Gals" by Malcolm McLaren. Malcolm McLaren is best known for being the manager of the Sex Pistols, and a few other acts such as Adam and the Ants and Bow Wow Wow. He also had a musical career of his own, experimenting in a variety of styles, usually mashing up two genres at a time. Some would say he stole more music than he created.

In 1983, he released his first album, "Duck Rock", which included early hip hop, traditional square dance, African and South American music. "Buffalo Gals" was the first single from the album, and reached number 9 on the UK charts, and number 33 on the US Dance charts.

Later albums included opera and electronic music (Madame Butterfly), disco (Waltz, Darling), along with a sequel to the Duck Rock album.

McLaren died of cancer in 2010.

Hangin' myself when I get enough rope.

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

09.22.2014 | 9:02 AM ET

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.22.2014 | 10:28 PM ET

Monday song of the day: "White Punks on Dope" by The Tubes. The very theatrical band The Tubes formed in Arizona in 1972, and released their first album in 1975. Lead singer Fee Waybill often adopted the on-stage alter ego of "Quay Lude" a prototypical drugged out rocker.

Other than the later. and much more conventional hit "She's A Beauty", White Punks on Dope is The Tubes' best known song and has been covered by several other artists.

I couldn't put a smile on my face.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,797
  • Post Score: 273

09.22.2014 | 10:36 PM ET

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.23.2014 | 9:41 PM ET

Tuesday song of the day: "3 Strange Days" by School of Fish. School of Fish formed in Los Angeles in 1989 and released their self-titled debut album in 1991. "3 Strange Days" was a minor hit off that first album, reaching # 6 on the Billboard Modern Rock Chart.

To me, the song seems like a blend of alternative rock and psychedelia. Sure was catchy. I listened to that album a lot back then. The band released a second album in 1993, and it didn't sell nearly as well. (Although I was one of the few who bought it.) They broke up not long afterward

All my best things are in hock.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.24.2014 | 7:26 PM ET

Wednesday song of the day: "Chinese Rocks" by The Heartbreakers. The song was mostly written by Dee Dee Ramone, with contributions by Richard Hell. At the time, the Ramones didn't want to record the song, so it was given to The Heartbreakers, Richard Hell and Johnny Thunder's band.

Hell had left the Heartbreakers by the time they got around to recording Chinese Rocks in 1977. It became the Heartbreakers' best known song.

The song documents the depths of heroin addiction, Both Hell and Dee Dee were heroin addicts at the time of the writing. Richard Hell later cleaned up from his addiction. Dee Dee never fully beat his addiction, and died of an overdose in 2002. Thunders died of an overdose as well, in 1991.

Eventually the Ramones would record the song as well, in 1980, although their version deleted the s and was titled just "Chinese Rock."

Here are both versions. I prefer the Heartbreakers version myself, but both are really good.

Come back, baby, come back.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

09.25.2014 | 1:41 PM ET

I've been rediscovering Eminem's Encore album this past week. Even though this album was less serious and poorly produced compared to his previous work, I still enjoy it.

Prior to this album, Michael Jackson had a lot of respect for Eminem. However after getting ripped throughout the entire song of "Just Lose It" and during other verses in the album. MJ said "I've never attacked a fellow artist. Great artist don't do that.", Eminem later apologized for it, saying it is just the way he is and that he was joking.

"Ass Like That" is often in the Top 10 Worst Eminem songs, but a redeeming quality of the song is how honest it is (in a satirical way) about the way people treat barely legal starlets.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

09.25.2014 | 1:45 PM ET

New Kendrick Lamar single " i "

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,797
  • Post Score: 273

09.25.2014 | 2:59 PM ET

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.25.2014 | 10:37 PM ET

Thursday song of the day: "Wavelength" by Van Morrison. While not as iconic as his earlier work such as "Brown Eyed Girl" with them, or the solo "Jackie Wilson Said" or "Moondance", 1978's Wavelength is a good song in its own right. It reached number 42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reinvigorated Morrison's career.

The song refers back to the Voice of America, which broadcast American news and music into the Iron Curtain countries. In the 1950s and 1960s, many in Great Britain listened to the Voice of America to have access to American music. The into to the song mimics the sounds of tuning in a short wave radio. In addition to this literal meaning, the song also serves as a metaphor for communication between lovers.

She's welcomed by boys. Ooh, aah ahh.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.26.2014 | 6:55 PM ET

Friday song of the day: "Twist Barbie" by Shonen Knife. Shonen Knife is an acquired taste. I like their energy, and the novelty value is high. Nothing too deep, but just plain fun,

Twist Barbie is from their first full album "Burning Farm", released in 1983. After they gained sort of a cult following in the United States, they recorded "Let's Knife", an album that rerecorded some of their older songs for the American audience. Here is the original 1983 version of Twist Barbie, followed by the 1992 version from "Let's Knife." Personally, I prefer the more stripped-down original.

I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons.

psychicdeath
psychicdeath

09.27.2014 | 6:01 PM ET

Saturday song of the day: "First We Take Manhattan" by Leonard Cohen. This is from Cohen's 1988 album "I'm Your Man". Kind of a more pop arrangement than most of his songs, but still really good despite its synth and disco excesses. I prefer his earlier straight-ahead style than this embellished and flowery style, but something about the tag line "First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin" appeals to me.

In later years he generally performed it in a less disco-fied arrangement, which was considerably better

Here's the original 1988 version, along with a 2009 live performance.

I Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle.

Page 244

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : 19 Year-Old Raul Rosas Jr. Chasing After Jon Jones’ UFC Record: ‘I Got 4 Years To Break It’
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC contender Merab Dvalishvili decided to no longer 'chase the finish' in fights
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Could be over early’: Ellerbe says Tank does everything better than Martin
  • MMA Junkie : Beneil Dariush no longer chasing UFC fight vs. Dustin Poirier: 'That shipped has passed'
  • Middle Easy : Report: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler ‘Not Looking Good’, UFC Is Hoping For ‘Plan B’ Or ‘Plan C’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Middle finger was not directed at Jon Jones in UFC 'Fight Inc' documentary
  • Bad Left Hook : Espinoza signs with Top Rank ahead of June 21 title defense
  • Bad Left Hook : Golden Boy undercard for June 27 show headlined by Fulghum vs Ellis
  • Middle Easy : Dricus Du Plessis ‘Ready’ To Face Israel Adesanya, ‘Would Love’ To Fight Khamzat Chimaev If He Beats Robert Whittaker
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis: Robert Whittaker beating Khamzat Chimaev at UFC on ABC 6 doesn't warrant title shot
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to be the Serena Williams of boxing’: Shields on future goals, July return
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya 'coming for heads,' not UFC championship belts
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler fight ‘very much in limbo’ for UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Report: Connie Comeback ‘Very Much In Limbo’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4 official weigh-ins results: One heavyweight misses the limit
  • MMA Mania : Dariush Doesn’t Want To Pay Tax On Hooker
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour live now
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I feel like my time’s coming’: Opetaia looks forward to facing Usyk in future
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis points to Alexander Volkanovski as example of why he turned down UFC 300 offer
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya teases fight camp underway for UFC return: ‘I dont need any more belts, I’m coming for heads’