Topic: McGregor vs. Siver

McGregor vs. Siver

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

10.23.2014 | 4:14 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Siver. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

11.19.2014 | 12:14 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Siver is definitely buying less into Mcgregor's trash talk than Poirier did. Dustin got very emotional and "gotten to" by McGoat and it probably affected his performance. Siver seemed pretty stoic at the press conference and had the right responses: "I just took this fight b/c the UFC wanted me to take this fight." 
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.19.2014 | 1:02 AM ET

McGregor needs to be more careful about toeing the line between trash talk and sounding like a stupid *******. 

Don't know how much the mental aspect will come into play, though. McGregor's faster, younger, taller, has a reach advantage, etc. 

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

11.19.2014 | 1:18 AM ET

@fglop I feel that when trash talking has to go through a translator it loses some of its potency. Kind of hard to feel intimidated when it's a middle-aged, monotone speaking guy, who minored in German, telling you, you  suck.

@PilloryChoke I completely agree with you that McGregor has to be more careful while walking the fine line between trash talking and being an *******, especially when 90% of your market value is pretty much what you say and how you act. A lot of people (including myself) are loving his attitude right now, but if he keeps saying stuff like this, he'll lose some fan base.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

11.19.2014 | 11:32 AM ET

I would agree with all you guys, but honestly no fight fans really care at all. They don't get the weight that calling someone a Nazi has in Germany and most Americans still joke about Germany in that way regularly and don't really care. The whole PC-bleached US has definitely not reached the UFC, I mean Dana White can still call people ******* and ******s and nobody cares. So I really don't know why you guys think this lessens McGregor's value, especially since his **** talking is the main reason people started liking him (before anyone knew he could actually fight).

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.19.2014 | 11:38 AM ET

Dana can still call people ******s? You clearly didn't see how much trouble he got into like.....5 YEARS ago for that and hasn't said it publicly since. And no, people don't all the time call Germans Nazi's in the US either, I can't really recall it happening much at all personally nor in the media.

I can't really remember the last time Dana said *****, but what we can't have any swear words? Everyone knows political correctness is ******** anyways.

* Edited at 11.19.2014, 11:40 AM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

11.19.2014 | 11:48 AM ET

The media is a different story because of all the on-air regulations, but most people I know don't see Nazi or it's implications as offensive particularly. And what trouble did he get in, exactly? Your definition of trouble must be pretty sensitive if you think an admonishment in the online media (not even network coverage) is getting in trouble. He literally faced zero consequences. And you think McGregor takes a hit for that? Yeah I really doubt it.

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

11.19.2014 | 11:51 AM ET

"I'm pretty sure they do base their rankings on media rankings but I'm as sure that they're manipulated for marketing fights and that the UFC most definitely play around with them a bit."

@Yoss the thing is all of the writers that vote have their rankings posted on the UFC website. Now the UFC could be changing those to make it appear how they want, but that is up to the writers to make sure that doesn't happen. I have no clue if it does or not, but the writers suck ass if they sit by and let it happen. As for people moving up and down, writers are swayed by hype sometimes (which sucks) but also some writers don't always update their rankings. I have seen it a bunch too that a guy moves up or down and some times it is simple that writers that had them (higher or lower) didn't rank this go around. Again not excusable, they should be held accountable. End of the day the UFC can take any of their rights away if they don't like them lol.

@michigandolphin - I don't think Lentz is easier at all. I just know that people would complain no matter which fight he took. 

As for all this Nazi talk. I don't think "most Americans" call Germans nazi's unless they are the same uneducated people calling all different cultures slurs. I like fighters based on their in cage style/performance which is why I can still be a fan of people like Rousey. So I still like McGregor.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

11.19.2014 | 5:53 PM ET

Yeah, I don't think calling someone (even a German) a Nazi is like calling someone the N word. Not even close, what if he called him a fascist? The nazi's were a party, not a race or something.

Remember the soup nazi from Seinfeld? It's not that bad a word, seriously. Grammar nazi, that nazi *****, etc. In no way is it even close IMO.

* Edited at 11.19.2014, 6:04 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

11.19.2014 | 6:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Siver   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

thousands of good people were forced to fight and die for the nazi party.  the vast majority of people in the German infantry were not not Nazis, and were just kids who didnt know what was happening.  Nazis killed millions on both sides.  for the west ww2 ended in the 1940s, but in Germany, the felt the repercussions of that war right up up until the 90s.  Imagine if your dad had to go to war for the nazi party because  they wanted to kill jews and had his brains blown out.  then imagine someone years later called you a nazi.  we tend to think of ww2 as tragic for everyone else, and Germans were the bad guys, but we forget for 90% of the population at the time, it was tragic for them too.  we havent experienced a tragedy as bad as the world wars, not even close, so people forget the horrors of war, on both sides.

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs

11.19.2014 | 6:13 PM ET

60 million people died in ww2.  think about that. thats almost twice the size of canada.  Imagine if all your uncles, your dad, and your grandpa died because the were forced to fight for the nazi party.  then imagine your country brought to ruins, for years after the war ends.  the world hates you now, because of a handful of people. imagine the hate you would grow up with, for the Nazi party.   then imagine some dude telling you "kiss my feet nazi".

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2014 | 6:13 PM ET

You need to go back and take a look at history. Hitler rebuilt Germany, he did great things for that Country before WW2 and his people were 100 % behind him. They were not forced, and yes they were involved in the Nazi party. Sorry but calling a German a nazi is no where close to calling someone a ******. It's not even on the same page.

If it was, the term would not be used so widely in historical terms. It's not even close bud.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

11.19.2014 | 6:20 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

Remember when Hitler was listed as "Man of the Year"?

pretty weird.

* Edited at 11.19.2014, 6:37 PM ET *

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

11.19.2014 | 6:33 PM ET

@Flying Frontkick are you from Germany?
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2014 | 6:38 PM ET

No, I am not. I am from Canada.

* Edited at 11.19.2014, 6:42 PM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.19.2014 | 6:43 PM ET

I rarely agree with frontkick, but the dude's right about this. As much of a psycho mass murdering **** head as Hitler turned out to be, prior to all that **** he was a good leader and helped Germany immensely. Volkswagons still exist, so that's gotta say something.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.19.2014 | 6:45 PM ET

That whole final solution thing just superbly outweighs anything positive he did. You don't brainwash an entire country by ******* up over and over though. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs

11.19.2014 | 6:47 PM ET

The average German didnt even know about jews being murdered, none of them understood what was going on.  he lied blatantly to the people.  ever hear the story of the allied troops marching some citizens through a concentration camp?  they went in all smiles and all came out in tears.  nobody wants to slaughter a race. are you saying 100% of Germans were saying "**** yea adolf gas the jews!"?. he built up the country, earned there trust, and used that trust to wage a bloody war that nobody wanted.  conscription started in Germany in 1935. open a textbook.  Germany was in ruins after world war 2.  at the end of the war Hitler was losing his marbles, he knew he wasnt going to win, he knew he was going to kill millions of germans if he didnt surrender, and he didnt.  the fact you dont understand that hitler used heavy propaganda and flat out lied to his people means your simply ignorant about wourld war 2.  and again, 60 ******* million people. to put that in perspective, only 400000 slaves were sent to north america, and 10 million world wide, those were the ones who made it to the new world alive. if all your friends and relitives died in a war your country started, would you support it?

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs

11.19.2014 | 6:59 PM ET

negro means black on spanish, and depending on the accent it can sound a lot like there saying ******, which is where the word came from.  i dated a girl from nicaragua and when she said black in spanish it sounded a like she was saying ******.  i almost **** mah pants the first time she said it while she was talking in spanish on the phone.  just because we accept nazi as a word doesnt mean Germans do.  spanish say negro (and i **** you not, again, Nicaraguan chick was basically shouting ****** on the phone in public) a lot. doesnt mean we should say it.
in my personal opinion, calling a black person a ****** is atleast just as bad as calling a german a nazi, i dont really feel like debating this tonight, but at the end of the day, you wouldnt call either of them it to there face.

Conor no matter what should be punished in some way, maybe no a suspension or a fine, but maybe an apologie better then "ich bin ein sowwy", which literally means "i am a sowwy"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

11.19.2014 | 7:02 PM ET

This has taken a turn from debating about the use of the term 'Nazi' to something I don't even care about. There was a German exchange student in my HS, he used the world Nazi and so did we. Nobody gave any ****s.

My great grandfather moved his family from Germany and changed their name, he fought in WW1 out of Canada and my grandfather fought in WW2. Seems like they had a choice, and they didn't get here easily.

* Edited at 11.19.2014, 7:05 PM ET *

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

11.19.2014 | 7:05 PM ET

I once had a friend who was a gay black Nazi. True story.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'