Topic: McGregor vs. Siver

McGregor vs. Siver

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,513
  • Post Score: 60

10.23.2014 | 4:14 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Siver. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

10.23.2014 | 5:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

The most obvious clue is if they're drinking Natty Ice.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

10.23.2014 | 5:31 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

As a Conor fan, I hope this fight falls through. This would be another first round KO. I wanna see McGregor tested, sorry to say that Siver.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.23.2014 | 5:32 PM ET

this fight just doesn't make any sense, matching a guy who just barely made the top 10 on a 1 fight win streak, against a #5 ranked fighter on a tilte run with 4 UFC fights win streak.  

btw... on a conspiracy note, I just noticed that they moved Siver 1 win streak up to #10 after they demoted Jeremy Stephens on a 3 win streak to 11.....maybe that's a small way try and give some validity to this fight, maybe It's just coincidence and I'm nuts

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.23.2014 | 5:45 PM ET

@Idrownfish Why? Aldo beat Edgar. If McGregor can beat Aldo then he deserves to be champion hands down, because no one yet has been able beat Aldo. My point is that there will always questions and that's fine it keeps things interesting. He shouldn't have to fight everyone or anyone that has fought Aldo before getting to fight Aldo. They're not Aldo's gatekeepers.

* Edited at 10.23.2014, 5:46 PM ET *

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

10.23.2014 | 5:47 PM ET

I remember when Siver derailed Sots hype train. But there's no way it happens here
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.23.2014 | 5:48 PM ET

Saying a champ has to beat every style of fighter on his way to becoming champ is pretty unrealistic. If you beat the champ, you're the champ. Now, the intangibles come in during title defenses, as does your argument. You're often not respected as the reigning champ until you take on all comers. In that case, you're gonna have to fight them all eventually.

In short: relax, my friends. He'll have to prove it all in time. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

10.23.2014 | 5:56 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Siver   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

They do that sometimes. Some fighters are favored more than others, its no secret. Eventually it all comes together and everyone who has to be exposed, is. If that is the case with Conor, it will happen too.

"@AndySalasMMA"

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

10.23.2014 | 7:09 PM ET

Boys! Relax! Siver is a strong grappler and has decent takedowns, you can be assured that he will at least attempt that strategy against Connor. Everyone automatically thinks of the spinning back kick when Siver is mentioned and gets the idea that he is just some kickboxer. In reality he is much more mixed, truly well rounded, just not quite the level of guys we want to see fighting Mcgregor. 

I do understand the griping but just think of the two of them exchanging those back kicks, that sounds like fun to me!
gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,869  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

10.23.2014 | 7:11 PM ET

this is a joke thread right Skelli ? really hope this fight doesn't happen it makes 0 sense Conor will finish Siver in less then 30 seconds .

Siver's last few wins are against Rosa , Phan ,Nunes ,G-sot and Winner .. seriously Conor might just murder Siver in the Octagon .

* Edited at 10.23.2014, 7:14 PM ET *

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

10.23.2014 | 8:11 PM ET

Dfinetley a step down for Mcgregor. Was expecting Bermudez or Swanson

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

10.23.2014 | 8:40 PM ET

@unbeknownst

It's not only about styles. I honestly think that you should first qualify yourself to be considered among the five or six best athletes of your division, then have a number one contender bout against one of those guys, and THEN get a title shot. Beating the champion shouldn't be enough - you have to prove yourself worthy of facing the champion first. And I am sorry but Conor hasn't done that yet - If he beats Swanson, Edgar, Mendes or Lamas he is the number one contender. There are a lot of people who are curious to know what would happen if Jose and Conor were to face each other. I am curious as well, but curiosity shouldn't play a role in terms of title shots. Imagine Conor faces Aldo and wins, and afterwards we find out that he is easily beat by Mendes and Edgar (I am not saying that is the case). Would it be fair to Aldo to lose his title to a guy like that? Was Matt Serra ever the best Welterweight in the UFC just because he was once better than GSP?

EDIT: What I mean is, if fighter A can beat fighters B, C, D and E but not fighter F, and fighter F can, due to a style matchup, beat fighter A and none of the others, who is the true champion? Again, I am not saying that is the case, but it might be the case, and I don't like that possibility.

* Edited at 10.23.2014, 8:48 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

10.23.2014 | 8:50 PM ET

@thefreeman I think that the main problem Siver will have in this fight is not his style, but the fact that McGregor is ten times better.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.23.2014 | 9:10 PM ET

@Idrownfish

I hear what you're saying, but guy's journey to the belt are different. I think it took Maynard eight straight UFC wins to get a tittle shot. I looks like Bermudez will have to do the same. However there are guys like Weidman that just look the part in their fights leading up to their title shot. In hindsight his win over Munoz isn't all that impressive.

There were questions about Jones as well leading up to his title fight. I remember people saying that Jones didn't deserve his shot because he hadn't fought anyone in the top five in the division. I also remembering people saying that Jones didn't deserve his title fight because no one knew if he could take a punch because no one had be able to land a clean shot on his chin. That's why his first two title defenses were so compelling.      

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.24.2014 | 2:01 AM ET

I don't think you need to "qualify" for a crack at the belt ... even freak circumstances can lead you to hold the belt. 

When you start defending it, who you defend it against and how many times you defend it is when you become a champion.

So anyone being fast-tracked or having only a certain type of favorable matchups to get there is for the discussion forums but not of any real importance.

Mendes hasn't fought a top-notch striker, Conor hasn't fought a top-notch wrestler, meh ... if one of them gets the belt he's going to eventually have to fend off the other to keep it. It'll even out in the end.

There have been quite a few forgettable champs in the UFC's relatively short champions list, so getting the belt isn't what matters. If you beat the champ, no matter what the circumstances (even with some freak thing that could NEVER happen like say you glove cutting you're opponent's eye), you deserve the belt. For some reason or the other (you're more marketable - which is also something you need talent to do, you stepped up on 55 seconds notice, all the other contenders all died in a plane crash) you were the one there with the chance to bank on the champ failing (or cause him to do so).

After that you start earning recognition.

Of course, in most cases you'd like to see a "natural" flow for getting the shot, but that isn't what counts the most. If you're good enough to be a longtime champ you'll eventually get your shot and if you're not who the **** cares that you didn't get that flash moment where you convinced yourself you're champion? I'm talking from "big picture" POV of course, naturally, for the fighter who works hard his whole life that moment in time is monumental. But if we're talking "fair" and "deserves" and "throw everything at him before you give him the shot" we need to understand that if circumstances impact that a bit it's no biggie. The flops will be exposed and the champs will persevere ... this sport is too unforgiving for it not to happen.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

skelliher
skelliher

10.24.2014 | 9:23 AM ET

Confirmed. 5-round main event.

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

10.24.2014 | 9:33 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

Now they just need to get Joe Lauzon on this card.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

skelliher
skelliher

10.24.2014 | 9:47 AM ET

Putting this against the AFC championship game is a strange, strange decision. 

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

10.24.2014 | 9:55 AM ET

Siver will make a fine sacrifice. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.24.2014 | 12:00 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Stylistically I think that this fight will be tremendously eontertaining, but I agree with those of you out saying that it doesn't make sense. Conor's destruction of Poirier should have won him either a title fight or a title elimination bout. Matching him with Siver is just tempting the MMA gods to have the McGregor hype train derailed in the most unexpected, and devastating way possible. I think McGregor wins this fight, but if he loses, he fallsa lot farther than he would fall with a loss to the champion, or a top 5 guy. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

10.24.2014 | 12:11 PM ET

Another 1st round TKO, and performance bonus for Conor....

"3HUNNA"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• PFL 3 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Bubba Jenkins vs. Kai Kamaka III - The result of the fight is being announced.
  • Join the PFL 3 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Bubba Jenkins 76% Kai Kamaka III 24%
  • Bubba "Bad Man" Jenkins (21-7-0) CA, US is the #57th Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • Kai "Fighting Hawaiian" Kamaka III (12-5-1) HI, US is the #155th Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • PFL 3 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois