Topic: Jones vs. Teixeira

Jones vs. Teixeira

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,729  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

12.16.2013 | 11:51 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Jones vs. Teixeira. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

04.26.2014 | 10:06 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Teixeira   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I'm sure his world class BJJ gives him no shot.....

I think Jones most likely wins but Glover has a better shot than he's getting credit for

* Edited at 04.26.2014, 10:08 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

04.26.2014 | 10:41 PM ET

All we know is that he's an epic grappler in jiu-jitsu matches, but one elbow from Jon Jones could turn any black belt into a white belt reaaaaal quick.

Teixeira doesn't have the wrestling to get Jones to the ground, and his one-dimensional striking DEFINITELY won't cause problems for Jones.

And what's this "better shot than he's getting credit for" ******** from? Everyone I've seen has said the exact same thing. If anything, people are giving him WAY too much credit. I mean, he's a +390 underdog. That's ********, he should be at +500 AT LEAST.

"الله أكبرl"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle

04.26.2014 | 10:44 PM ET

Jones leaves that arm open on top and Glover will snap it. Most people are saying he gets smashed, so yeah not much credit.

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

04.26.2014 | 10:52 PM ET

"Jones leaves that arm open on top and Glover will snap it."

Yeah but that's like saying if Jones drops his hands, Glover will knock him out. It's a self-evident statement that says absolutely nothing.

At +390, not enough people are betting on the fact that he'll get smashed. Honestly, that makes no sense.

* Edited at 04.26.2014, 10:52 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle

04.26.2014 | 10:56 PM ET

I never said anything on betting, people just think he's going to get smashed

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

04.26.2014 | 11:01 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Jones is going to drag Glover into waters that he's never even been near in his career. Once those elbows start landing Glover will want to quit.

Miguel Torres said the most scared he's ever been was when Benavidez open up that massive cut on his forehead when they fought in the WEC. So much blood that you can't see, hear or breath..

Glover is a freakishly strong and skilled fighter but what Jon Jones brings to the table is something you can't train for. We're going to see what Glover is really made of tonight.

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,515  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.27.2014 | 3:21 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Looks like Jones had a great fight.  Surprised that he was not able to finish Glover, though.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

04.27.2014 | 3:27 AM ET

Glover hasnt been finished since his first fight 12 years ago, so, its not rly surprising.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

04.28.2014 | 1:59 AM ET

Jon Jones made me eat my words, and proved that he IS the best p4p fighter in the world!!!!

Prediction: wrong Teixeira   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

This is what I posted after the weigh-ins on Friday. Jon Jones made me eat my words, and in the process proved that he is the best p4p fighter in the world. Quite possibly the best p4p fighter of all time.

"I've thought quite a bit about this fight. The one thing I fear the most for Jones, is that he's coming into this fight with the right mindset. On the countdown, Jones said that he's been training the same way that he has for all of his fights, stating, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The problem with that mindset, is that if he's doing the same training regimen as he did preparing for Gustafsson (who barely outpointed, and some feel Gustafsson won), then he's making a HUGE mistake with Teixeira. I'm hoping that Jones was just saying that to throw off Teixeira, and give him and his camp a false sense of hope, and that Jones will bring something to the table that we haven't seen like what he did when he first came to the UFC.

This was a hard pick for me, because I'm a big fan of both fighters, but thinking about what both fighters bring to the table, I'm going with Teixeira because he can end a fight with one punch, but if the fight gets out of the 3rd round, I think that Jones will win by decision or late round TKO"

It's not just that Jones dominated Glover, it's how he did it. The gameplan that he was utilizing in the opening minutes of the fight weren't working, so Jones made adjustments halfway through the first round, stole the first round, and ultimately dominated the remainder of the fight.

Jones just doesn't learn techniques, he perfect them. He's not just unorthodox and unpredictable, he's extremely technical in the process. You factor in his wrestling, submission skills, his heart, his intelligence, and everything in the aforementioned sentences of this paragraph, and I think it's safe to say that Jones could very well be the picture of perfection as an MMA fighter.

I used to do these 10-point breakdowns on this site for big fights and main card fights, gauging a fighters attributes vs. his/her opponent's. Who was better where in what technique/facet of MMA, who had more heart, who was tougher, who was more intelligent, who was faster, who was stronger. In his last 4 fights, Jones has shown that he scores a perfect 100 on my 10-point breakdown. The first fighter in the history of my watching MMA, (since before the first UFC when you could only see Vale Tudo tournaments by ordering videos from the black market), to do that and impress me that much.

My hat's off to Jon Jones on a great fight, and making me eat my words.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.28.2014 | 5:37 AM ET

I agree that Jones looked impressive against Glover, but there's one thing I don't understand, if almost everyone said that this is Jones' "easiest" defense other than Chael Sonnen, why is everyone so amazed on "how much Jones has improved" based on that fight?

Yeah, he looked great, but let's not forget that he also fought an opponent that doesn't have the tools to put him off his game. No length, no speed, no footwork. Those (with the addition of good TDD, which Glover actually did display) are the only tools that can give you a fighting chance against Jones (maybe freakishly good wrestling like Cormier's can negate the need for length and footwork, that remains to be seen, but for now, those are the tools). 

We'll see how much Jones has improved in the Gus rematch because Gus has all those tools.

Again, not saying he didn't look great or hasn't improved, just saying that I'm not flying off my handle until I see how much better he looks against a guy with the specific tools needed to give him a fight.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  243,970  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

04.28.2014 | 11:00 AM ET

There's also one more thing that Jones did very well throughout the fight.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

04.28.2014 | 11:05 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

You forgot this too Joe Kerr

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,787
  • Post Score: 273

04.28.2014 | 4:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Jon Jones has to have the best resume in MMA, I'm gonna say it's better than GSP's at this point. Agree or disagree?

-edit- Gotta remember he has beaten 4 former UFC champions (not counting Vitor's cut win over Couture)

* Edited at 04.28.2014, 4:29 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.28.2014 | 4:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I would have to agree - Jon Jones has done what GSP didn't do.... he overcame adversity when he wasn't full prepared and squeaked out a win over Gustaffson, GSP was knocked out by Serra when he was young.

I really do believe Gus was a major wake up call for Jones and he's going to look very impressive in his next 3 fights!

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Three-Time NCAA Champion Jason Nolf To Make Professional Grappling Debut
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books Tracy Cortez vs. Miranda Maverick for summer showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Maycee Barber vs. Rose Namajunas targeted for UFC Fight Night headliner on July 13
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Money Doesn’t Equal Emotional Intelligence
  • MMA Mania : Meet UFC Vegas 92’s ‘Miracle’
  • MMA Junkie : Rising Japanese star Tatsuro Taira books first UFC main event vs. Alex Perez on June 15
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL announces dates, locations for 2024 playoffs
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : Rampage Vs. Briggs Falls Apart Amid Promoter Fraud Concerns
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator champion Patchy Mix: 'I can't get the respect that Sean O'Malley has'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez vs. Tatsuro Taira now expected to headline UFC event on June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Dream Was To Become Champion’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Age doesn't matter': Mike Tyson, Jake Paul discuss experience vs. youth dynamic of boxing match
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira shows menace, humor in new Topps commercial
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Presser Highlights: Kid Asks Boxers Who Has Higher ‘Body Count’
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson warns Jake Paul he will be fighting for his life; Paul responds
  • MMA Mania : Shake-Up! Perez Vs. Taira Now Headlines UFC Vegas 93
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go nose-to-nose in first Tyson vs. Paul faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Mike Tyson, Jake Paul have playful faceoff at first press conference in New York
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington: Belal Muhammad 'squatting on his ranking,' doesn't deserve UFC title fight