Topic: Penn vs. MacDonald

Penn vs. MacDonald

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

08.19.2012 | 5:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Penn vs. MacDonald. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.22.2012 | 5:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Rory will not try ot take BJ down.  He will stand and bang with him.  It will be up to BJ to drag Rory to the ground and try to pull something off in the way of submission.

Agree 100% with p4Pgoat.  If BJ has a hard time it will be because BJ didn't dig deep enough in training camp.  All talented people must adjust to aging by adjusting their diets, training, life styles, etc.  In fact, we civilians have to, too.  Of suffer the ravages of time in terms of weight gain, loss of functionality, etc.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.22.2012 | 5:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I think you are mental if you seriously believe Rory will stand and trade with BJ. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

11.22.2012 | 5:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Rory doesnt really have "great" stand up to me, average at best. If he stands with BJ, he will get knocked the **** out. His  bread, and butter is his takedowns, and GnP. Why would he stand and bang with somebody thats better stand up then he does lol

"3HUNNA"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.22.2012 | 6:02 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@TraeBlack

I disagree hugely on rory having "average" standup. I think that is a gross understatement.  For starters he whoop on condit in the first round of there fight through his standup. Not ground skills.  In fact he did better against Condit standing then he did no the ground.  So I disagree with you strongly seeing as how Condit is one of the elite strikers of the division  and Rory was giving him fits on the feet.  If you think Penn just gunna beat on Rory in the stanup you got another thing coming my friend because you SHOULD not be surprised if Rory starts beating on Penn in the standup.

"here I come to save the day"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.22.2012 | 6:12 PM ET

Rory will stand and bang with BJ.  Mike, you're eating too many tacos.  Must be that special sauce.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.22.2012 | 6:12 PM ET

@mike

I disasgree with you that Rory won't trade with Penn. I dont think any area of Penn game worries Rory. He not going to just shoot on him right away. He will trade with Penn.  Will he got right take downs when open? yes he will but honestly there really no reason to assume he wont trade with Penn for a bit he does it in most all of his fights.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.22.2012 | 6:16 PM ET

Rory wasn't scared to stand and exchange with Carlos Condit.  He held his own with Carlos, despite Carlos' touted 1-punch KO power.  It didn't scare Rory.  And Carlos was unable to rock Rory, either.

So, why should Rory quake in his boots at the thought of exchanging with Penn.  I predict he will get the better of BJ on their feet, and then Rory will take him down and get the better of BJ there too.  But BJ should be safer on the ground than on his feet.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.22.2012 | 6:22 PM ET

@Bill

Umm Rory was clearly rocked by Condit in the third...........so saying Condit was unable to rock rory is quite wrong see as how the fight was stopped due to Strikes.

I agree with the point your trying to make but saying that Condit was unable to rock rory is just OMG wrong.

* Edited at 11.22.2012, 6:24 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.22.2012 | 6:32 PM ET

True, Franklin, but I wasn't counting that 3rd round.  

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.22.2012 | 6:33 PM ET

@SoccerKick Freddie Roach said BJ Penn has the best boxing in MMA? Really?

Hm, BJ's not in the top 5 apparently.

BJ Penn is gonna get destroyed by Rory MacDonald and it will be great to watch. BJ Penn is still one of the best fighters on the planet...at lightweight. As a welterweight, he's got a bad enough record to be cut.

@Franklin880088 "saying Condit was unable to rock rory is quite wrong see as how the fight was stopped due to Strikes" did you actually see the fight? One of the worst stoppages ever, Rory didn't look like he was rocked he just looked like his will broke.

BJ Penn's stand up at welterweight is NOTHING compared to Carlos Condit, and Rory held his own against Condit's amazing striking. Penn will get decimated and the ****storm afterwards will be GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIOUS to watch.

"الله أكبرl"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.22.2012 | 6:47 PM ET

@anikm
" did you actually see the fight? One of the worst stoppages ever, Rory didn't look like he was rocked he just looked like his will broke.:"

Yes several times in fact. No it wasent at all. He was done, and he has admitted as much. He has stated he lost and he got his **** kicked in. He also stated how embarrassed he was about getting his ass kicked. Again even when he brings up the fightt he states not that it was a bad stoppage for why he wants a rematch. He instead states he wants it because Condit embarrassed him.  You can keep pretending it was a bad stoppage but all the parties involved disagree with you.

He clearlly looked rock. In the start of the third he was full of energy and even throw a flying knee. Then he got caught with I believe a left hook. Then all of sudden he shoot for take down and trying to get it to the ground because he got hurt with the shot. Then condit got on top landed some big punches and Elbows and Rory was clearly messed up. the reason he faded was because he was getting beat on. 

* Edited at 11.22.2012, 6:51 PM ET *

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.22.2012 | 6:52 PM ET

Think Rory gunna dominate Penn.  However I would not be shocked if Penn won. He is Penn after all and he can and often has shocked the world.

Hell I think Penn could likely make a legit run at the light weight belt if he took it serous.  

* Edited at 11.22.2012, 6:53 PM ET *

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

11.22.2012 | 6:57 PM ET

@mike you call ppl idiots before fights almost more than anybody on this site. Why is it that it's you though that looks like an idiot  AFTER the fights? Quite interesting

@franklin you are right up there with mike, first off rory has never said that condit embarrassed and/or got his **** pushed in you're just making **** up. That fight could have easily made it to the distance with rory keeping his consciousness and not being overly hurt. He only said he was cool with the stoppage because he's a good dude and didn't want to try and take anything away from condits win
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

11.22.2012 | 7:01 PM ET

after the Condit fight, he got his **** pushed in during that 3rd round lol

"3HUNNA"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

11.22.2012 | 7:03 PM ET

Did I say he didn't get beat up? No. I said the fight easily could have went another 9 seconds.
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

11.22.2012 | 7:06 PM ET

I think the ref stoppage was just. Rory was getting smashed, on his back, not defending himself intelligently

"3HUNNA"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.22.2012 | 7:12 PM ET

Look at it at 2:57. Rory was defending himself, he wasn't getting smashed, in fact Condit wasn't even throwing punches when the ref stopped it and Rory had an underhook in too AND Condit was in his half guard and couldn't pass AND there was 9 seconds left.

Stopping GSP/Condit in round 3 would've been a more justifiable stoppage. Stopping Sanchez/Ellenberger in round 3 would've been more justifiable. Stopping McCall/Johnson in round 3 would've been more justifiable. Stopping Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard 2 AND 3 in the first round would've been more justifiable. Stopping Hendo/Shogun in rounds 1, 3 and 5 would've been more justifiable. The list goes on and on.

I'm sorry but I just can't see how a sane, unbiased fan can look at this fight and say that it was a legitimate stoppage. I can't, I have to seriously question your intelligence. You can say anything you want but just look at the video, it says it ALL!

"الله أكبرl"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

11.22.2012 | 7:15 PM ET

Gotta agree with that post 100%.... He was getting beat up but I've seen a thousand beatings worse that weren't stopped that quickly. You stop a fight for someone's safety. Rory still would have been just as messed up 9 seconds later, except he would have won.
xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

11.22.2012 | 8:47 PM ET

If Diaz can beat Penn, Rory can definitely beat Penn. 

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.22.2012 | 9:38 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Ahh, the good ol' MMAth argument. Difference there is we all knew that fight would be all stand up, Diaz has the ability to take a good shot and give a good shot. On the feet Rory is nowhere near as skilled as a BJ Penn or a Nick Diaz, and he can't take the shot Diaz can, go watch he fight with Mills, Mills caught him rather early which forced Rory to shoot. 

Also, if it goes to the ground I don't think Rory will be able to control a BJ Penn like he could control a MUCH lesser talented guy on the ground in Che Mills. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'