Topic: Penn vs. MacDonald

Penn vs. MacDonald

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

08.19.2012 | 5:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Penn vs. MacDonald. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 8

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

11.28.2012 | 10:57 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

You can't discredit Penn's win over Hughes, he finished him twice in the first round.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.28.2012 | 10:57 PM ET

Rory Macdonald does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as BJ Penn. Let alone share the octagon with him, hope he cherishes the moment cause within 4 minutes he'll be looking up from the canvas seeing this. 

* Edited at 11.28.2012, 10:58 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Dela Riva
Dela Riva
  • Predictions:  660  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  405
  • Post Score: 130

11.28.2012 | 11:02 PM ET

Dude, seriously? BJ Penn is 16-8-2 and 2-4-1 at WW. I get he is iconic to people, but youre just being silly now.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.28.2012 | 11:06 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Mike  You do realize how much a minority opinion you have, don't you?  67 - 33%

BJ might have the bigger name, but your name and rep won't help you in the cage unless you have put in the total commitment, training and preparation. 

I join the house in wishing BJ well in his quest to regain traction.  But he is going against the odds.  Regaining his passion needs to translate into hardcore training.  Training is the nuts and bolts of good, competitive fighting.  Or anything else, really.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.28.2012 | 11:12 PM ET

I get the fact BJ isn't at his best at Welterweight, but look at who he has lost to! 

Matt Hughes (In which he avenged, viciously), GSP, and Nick Diaz.

Two of those guys are the top 2 Welterweights EVER, no questions asked. No shame in that. 

Rory has gotten 1 legitimate opponent at WW (I don't get Nate, because Nate isn't very good at WW). That is Carlos Condit, we saw what happened. He didn't get destroyed, but Rory said himself "He beat the **** out of me". You can compare W-L records at the weight class all you want, but I don't think it's a fair comparison considering the difference in opposition of the two. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.28.2012 | 11:31 PM ET

BJ's first win over Hughes was awesome and it was as legit as you can get. The second win over Hughes was almost meaningless. A stiff breeze could knock Matt Hughes on his ass nowadays. Koscheck has a 1st round KO of post rime Hughes too it just doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

11.28.2012 | 11:35 PM ET

Dude I was there when Penn knocked out Hughes the Palace exploded and you could tell Penn really wanted that win. Just like he wants this win I know he can beat Rory.

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

DelRose
DelRose

11.29.2012 | 12:38 AM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

As the day draws nearer, I'm beginning to have doubts about my prediction.

* Edited at 11.29.2012, 12:39 AM ET *

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

11.29.2012 | 1:57 AM ET

Same DelRose.

I think it's going to come down to if BJ really wants it.Which kinda sucks for Rory because what if Penn fights as hard as he can and loses.Then everyone will disregard Rory's win.I'm just hoping for a good fight.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.29.2012 | 2:05 AM ET

If BJ beats Rory, it will mean a heck of a lot more than when he beat Matt Hughes.  At the moment, all that remains of BJ and Matt are their names.  

But if BJ trains right and finds a way to beat Rory, he will then be considered 'rejuvenated' will be once again targeted by all the WWs to fight with.

But he would still be well-advised to return to LW, where a fight with Jose Aldo would be highly anticipated.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.29.2012 | 2:10 AM ET

Jose Aldo is a WW who happens to choose to fight at FW.

BJ Penn was a LW who happened to choose to fight at WW.

Diego Sanchez was a LW who happened to choose to fight at WW.

Nate Diaz is a WW who happens to choose to fight at LW.

Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk were WW who happened to choose to fight at LW.

GSP is a MW who happens to choose to fight at WW.

Anderson Silva is a LHW who chooses to fight at MW.

Frankie Edgar was a FW who chose to fight at LW.

Thiago Alves is a MW who chooses to fight at WW.

Rumble Johnson was a LHW who chose to fight at WW.

Mayhem14
Mayhem14
  • Predictions:  778  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 77

11.29.2012 | 12:52 PM ET

lol @Mike a prime Matt Hughes got ****d by GSP twice, who trains MacDonald, who beat Condit for 2.99 rounds (literally). Penn got simply demolished by GSP and manhandled by Diaz, who was outpointed here and there by Condit. I know that this indirect garbage isn't always valid, but still. Think about it. What is Rory MacDonald but a young GSP? Sensational top game and GnP not to mention size and strength

"I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye." -Bas Rutten

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

11.29.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

Rory will not finish BJ in a 3 round fight

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.29.2012 | 4:28 PM ET

I like BJ as much as the next person, despite not being a true fan of his.  But to think he can regain his old magic is betting against the odds.  

We all hope BJ trained and prepared himself right and will show up a completely rejuvenated fighter.  But that is not only wishful thinking, it is overly-optimistic, quixotic, idealistic and fanciful.  Not that I have never been given to a subjective, eccentric pick now and again, here and there, but BJ has never shown the iron will of GSP.

And not even GSP could overcome all of his disadvantages in his last fight.  He overcame just enough of them to win a clean, decisive win from Condit.  Injury, ring rust, dehydration, nerves, and a highly-motivated, dangerous opponent.

But BJ Penn has never before shown the tenacity to overcome those kinds of long odds.  Will he this time?  God only knows.  He certainly has the tools, skills, and is young enough to train into a rejuvenated state.  But something tells me he just didn't summon up enough of the will needed for a complete transformation back into his earlier version of himself.  Wish he did.  Would love to keep him around another 5 years in LW.

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

11.29.2012 | 6:08 PM ET

GSP is dehydrated and nervous before every fight, as are nearly all fighter who cut weight and are facing a serious chance that they can get hurt.

BJ showed more heart in the the Diaz fight then Rory did against Condit. he won the first round then got beat up in the 2nd but was still pushing forward in the third, even though he was gassed,hurt and had one eye, yet he still made it a close rd. Nick obviously did just a bit more to get the win but that can't be taken away from BJ.

* Edited at 11.29.2012, 6:10 PM ET *

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.29.2012 | 6:16 PM ET

@Bill Burgess I don't know about that list, if a fighter's natural division would be around 20 pounds less than their walking weight Aldo would be a FW, Nate Diaz would be a WW, Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk would be LWs, GSP would be a WW, Anderson would be a MW (I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that Anderson walks upwards of 220 pounds, that is just absurd. He always makes weight perfectly) and Frankie Edgar would be a BW. Just saying.

"الله أكبرl"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

11.29.2012 | 6:19 PM ET

@Burgess Rumble Johnson's natural division is Rumbleweight, not LHW...

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.29.2012 | 6:47 PM ET

"would be a WW, Anderson would be a MW (I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that Anderson walks upwards of 220 pounds, that is just absurd. He always makes weight perfectly) "

I agree with you that Anderson a MW.  People dont seem to understand that certain fighters let them selfs go much more then others when they do not have a schedule fight. Anderson is one of these fighters. he balloons up sometimes when he on his off season. Forrest and rampage do the same thing. both of these guys have been as high up as 250. So does that now mean Rampage natural weight class is heavy weight? Hell no. Not all fighters are GSP who keep crazy diets and monitor there  intake year round.  Anderson while training for a fight is at around 205 pounds. As both his doctor and trainers have stated.  People need to understand there a difference between ballooning up and actually training weight.

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.29.2012 | 6:51 PM ET

GSP is a welter weight not a MW. Coudl he fight at middle weight? hells yes but is that his natural weight class? hell no. If a guy always makes weight and is in shape there zero reason to assume it not his natural weight class.

"here I come to save the day"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.29.2012 | 8:14 PM ET

@franklin Anderson's trainers and doctors may say he trains at 205 pounds but his manager did an interview saying Anderson is at 225 pounds. While doing the interview Anderson was in the background training for a fight. Maybe Ed Soares was exaggerating who knows. One thing I do know is there is a massive difference in size between GSP and Anderson. That is not debatable. Just saying.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : BKFC KnuckleMania IV Salaries, Revealed; Mike Perry Pockets Event-High $600K
  • MMA Mania : Go Pro? Texas Commission Rules On Paul Vs Tyson
  • MMA Mania : Aging Alves ‘Going Back To Retirement’
  • UFC.com : Monthly Report: April 2024
  • UFC.com : Get To Know The Challenger | Steve Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson will be pro fight over eight 2-minute rounds
  • Bad Left Hook : Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson ‘sanctioned as professional fight’: Rules, glove weight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul sanctioned as pro bout
  • Middle Easy : BKFC President David Feldman Explains How Conor McGregor Become Part Owner, Says Dana White Is ‘Probably A Little Mad’
  • MMA Junkie : Clay Collard vs. Mads Burnell headlines 2024 PFL 5 in Salt Lake City
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC after calling for fight against him
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Doubts If Ian Garry Is ‘Serious’ About Fighting, Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ With Leon Edwards
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t know why the referee stopped the fight’: Diaz reacts to TKO loss to Duarte
  • MMA Mania : Kentucky Fried Erceg Prepared For Brazilian Bottle Bombs
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 22-28)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: Matches to make after UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Watch ‘Countdown To UFC 301’ Video
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301: How to watch Rio de Janeiro fight card, lineup, odds, preview videos, more