Topic: Penn vs. MacDonald

Penn vs. MacDonald

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

08.19.2012 | 5:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Penn vs. MacDonald. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 18

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.11.2012 | 10:30 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight

"I don't think he should retire. I think he is great at 155 - maybe a fight against Showtime Pettis?" Kenny on BJ Penn.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

12.11.2012 | 11:56 PM ET

His only future is at lw but that spends on whether his discipline will extend to smaller name fights. If he doesn't see the incentive, he won't commit I don't think.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

12.12.2012 | 10:31 AM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Gregory  I understand.  But he could have adjusted his tactics.  When he started to sustain too much incoming, he could have reverted to the tactics that Condit used against Diaz.  Kick and run.  He should have used kicks to hold off MacDonald, keep him at bay.

Too many shots made his gas tank shrivel really fast and he needed to get on his bicycle and stay mobile.  The last thing he should have done was stand in the pocket and trade striking.  He might have also considered more clinching.  If Rory then threw him to the ground, it would have worked better than standing.  

Rory would not be able to land better punches from BJ's guard than on their feet.  It would have given Penn a chance to regroup, try submissions.  

What he did, stay on his feet, was the worst strategy possible.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.12.2012 | 10:43 AM ET

@bill I think it's easier said then done. BJ did go for takedowns which I thought was a smart move but the problem is when fighting someone as well rounded as Rory is you don't get to decide where the fight goes. No matter what BJ wanted to do, Rory was going to make BJ fight his fight.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.12.2012 | 10:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Bill ... he couldn't kick and run for two main reasons:

1. He's not really known for his grade A kicking.
2. Rory was cutting the ring properly, he didn't mindlessly go forward like Diaz, thus making it harder to find somewhere to run.

Plus, if Rory had taken him down believe me BJ would have been pounded much harder than he was on the feet, lucky for him Rory was landing some great **** standing up so he didn't feel the need to take it to the ground.

No strategy you can come up with would have helped BJ beat Rory. He's better and bigger than him in every aspect of the game.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

12.12.2012 | 8:35 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I hear you guys.  I kind of agree with both of you.  Seems like BJ's problems started when he accepted the fight in the first place.  I personally was shocked he would choose to tangle with someone like Rory!  I thought it was a terrible idea for him!

But I am naive and believe that there is a solution for every problem.  In MMA, technique can nullify power.  But in this case, Rory had great technique, too.  

Case in point.  When Ali fought George Foreman, the most powerful puncher ever, Ali was too old to dance on his bicycle for 15 rounds.  So, his strategy was to lean against the ropes and let Foreman punch himself out.  After George punched himself out, Ali then went on the attack, and won the fight.

But BJ should not be in WW, so all this is moot.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

12.12.2012 | 8:45 PM ET

I think that B.J. truly believes that all he has to do is show up and he can beat anyone in the world, even though this has proven not to be so on several occasions.  

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.12.2012 | 8:49 PM ET

Prediction: correct MacDonald   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

"Case in point.  When Ali fought George Foreman, the most powerful puncher ever, Ali was too old to dance on his bicycle for 15 rounds.  So, his strategy was to lean against the ropes and let Foreman punch himself out.  After George punched himself out, Ali then went on the attack, and won the fight."

To old?  Ali was only 32.  It had nothing to do with age. Foreman would not allow him to dance around and was beating him in open space. So ali was forced to fight against the ropes.  In all honesty Ali likely could not have ebaten Foreman in a re match. Also the only reason his strategy even worked was because the ropes were looser then normal. 

"here I come to save the day"

Page 18

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’