Topic: Frankie Edgar

Words that Edgar should think about

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.10.2011 | 4:23 PM ET

So I was watching ufc insider on ufc.com today and one of the questions that was brought up for dana white was who would he like to see change weight classes. He made a surprising (to me) pick of saying Frankie Edgar. Not to say that this hasn't been beaten to death that Frankie is a small LW but considering he was talking about the superfight of Anderson Silva vs GSP that he didn't mention anyone else. Which brings me to these conclusions 1. yes Edgar is a small LW but I mean he's the champ! why would you mess with a good thing? He's also considered to be the top LW in the world right now as well so why give that up? 2. Here's why I think Edgar should drop, he really does have the potential to not only capture the 145 title but simultaneously have and defend both of them. I mean they talk about this with Anderson and him capturing the LHW belt, but I actually think that because of Edgar's size and speed he really could pull this off. Now there is the question of a man named Jose Aldo, but I think Frankie has the tools to pull it off, he's super fast, tonnes of cardio, and he's got great wrestling. This could lead to him taking the belt from Jose. So I hope he really is considering this to cement his legacy in mma history 

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Frankie "The Answer" Edgar

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Frank James Edgar
  • Pro MMA Record: 24-11-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Answer
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: November 12, 2022 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 135.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: Ricardo Almeida Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 68.0" (173cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,191,000 USD
  • Born: Toms River, New Jersey, United States
  • Fighting out of: Toms River, New Jersey
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.10.2011 | 4:27 PM ET

What's with all the fighter forum's?

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

@BeastMaster: What do you mean?

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 5:19 PM ET

Lately lilspyder has had a couple of fighter forums

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 5:19 PM ET

Lately lilspyder has had a couple of fighter forums

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.10.2011 | 5:33 PM ET

We hope everyone starts doing that, Beasty.  If you attach your thread to the fighter forum, it makes the thread appear on that fighter's page also.  This way more people will see the thread.

At some point we also want to make it so that when you make a "fighter thread" you can select a bunch of other stuff to automatically get added (like photos, stats, etc).

"I live, I die, I live again."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 5:43 PM ET

Don't mean to affend anyone. These forum are great.

Gregory
Gregory

02.10.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

As for Frankie Edgar, it's a good question. It's obvious he could cut to 145. But one of the things that gave him an advantage over Penn, and in the later rounds over Maynard, is how fast he was in comparison to those guys.

If he moves to 145, does he lose the edge in speed against all the smaller featherweights? And now what made him so difficult to deal with is no longer so special?

BTW if Edgar doesn't cut weight to fight at 155, I wouldn't be surprised if he could make it down to 135. I think we're just starting to see the beginning of fighters moving around these lower weight classes.

Gregory
Gregory

02.10.2011 | 5:45 PM ET

heck no man, no offense at all.

we have a ton of ideas how to improve these forums. there's some stuff we really like, but also some things we don't.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 5:59 PM ET

Edgar's pretty good at LW. But there are a lot of LW's much bigger and stronger than him. I've noticed that the ufc has given him a lot of the smaller lightweights in the division.I think he should move down to FW more guys his size. I would love to see him fight aldo.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2011 | 6:05 PM ET

I don't think he should move down until he loses the title. Why mess with a winning formula? This way, Edgar is LW champ and he has a contingency plan encase he loses the title.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.10.2011 | 6:14 PM ET

i agree with you skeliher. if something isnt wrong, dont try to fix it.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.10.2011 | 8:15 PM ET

To beastmaster i kind of figured that this is what you should do especially if you wanted to talk about a certain fighter specifically. This is just how my brain works. Also I take no offense to your questions makes sense. Now for @gregory I think what edgar will lack in speed he will make up for in strength and conditioning. I also don't agree that he's had to fight smaller LW's because he's basically the smallest one there is and he's also fought Maynard twice now and BJ and Tyson griffin. These are some big guys for LW's. Also I wouldn't want him to leave the LW category but float around in weight classes, I think he should only leave if he does lose the belt as you guys suggest. But @gregory has a good point he probably could make it to 135 as well because he would be used to doing cuts from his wrestling days (you'd hope at least). But you are right, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But it is food for thought for sure

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

TaylerBono
TaylerBono
  • Predictions:  401  |  55.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3

02.10.2011 | 11:07 PM ET

Im sorry but there isnt a chance in hell Frankie Edgar could beat Jose Aldo.  Frankie is an incredible fighter, but Jose is just way to dominant.

"If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going" - Sir Winston Churchill

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.11.2011 | 3:22 AM ET

I struggle with Frankie at 145 just like @gregory said - his cardio and speed carries him through fights. It't noticable he's faster than everyone, but once he hits championship rounds he's almost twice as fast, he doesn't lose a step like his opponent. I don't think he is as fast as Aldo though. It's an interesting fight, styles make fights and Frankie has shown his wrestling is becoming some of the best in the game. His timing versus BJ and Maynard was amazing. I want to see how the rematch goes before i can think anymore about him movin weight classes.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.11.2011 | 8:02 AM ET

I hope I don't piss too many people off with this but Edgar's clock is ticking. He is undoubtedly the best LW now. He defeated the greatest LW ever. He has the perfect skill set and game plan to beat BJ. That being said, his size is  really a factor. I also think the Maynard fights gave a lot of people the blueprint to beat Edgar. There is no way you can employ the game plan that Penn did of trying to time Edgar to catch him with counter strikes on the way in. Frankie has amazing footwork for creating angles and working combos off those angles. Not only striking combos but his striking/takedown combo's that he used to get Penn to the mat. Penn simply didn't have a clue what Frankie was going to do. That being said Maynard showed if you cut the ring and make Edgar's space to move small you can get away with bullying him a bit. After Maynard gassed he simply couldn't cut the cage anymore hence the brilliant comeback by Frankie. Fact of the matter is MMA is growing so fast the talent pool is constantly evolving. There are more and more elite level athletes competing now. Even 2 years ago you could get by training harder that your competition but not anymore. You have to be bigger, stronger, faster than anyone in your division. Hence the reason Aldo is so dominant! He is the new breed, well rounded with a heap of athleticism, same goes for Bones. He should keep at LW until he loses but I agree a move to FW or BW would be in his best interest for the future. Huge LWs like Diego Sanchez will be pushing to get a crack at Frankie should he get past Gray at 130 which could end up being a disaster for a promising career like Edgars. I like to think of myself as the new generation of LWs coming up. I walk around at 175-179 and cutting to the LW limit is pretty easy which makes me a bigger LW at 5'11" and around 167lbs around fight time. There are many elite LWs now that are significantly bigger than I am and I'm sure it is just a matter of time before one of them gets a shot at him and uses their size to their advantage.

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.12.2011 | 12:45 PM ET

I think Edgar would be number two or three at 145. I don't see him beating Aldo. Florian vs Edgar at 145 would be a great fight, but I actually think Florian would win. He has great striking and BJJ, and is probably big enough to avoid being controlled by Edgar, who he should out strike, that would be an awesome fight I think. 

"We Are All One"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.16.2011 | 5:41 AM ET

@minotauro I think you are proving @caymanfighter's point in the Florian vs Edgar scenario. I believe that Florian would win not only because of his striking and BJJ but because he also has the size. As for Frankie, Maynard did show he had a good gameplan to beat Frankie but he gassed, I bet both of them are training to make corrections for this come their next fight. I don't know what Frankie is going to do except be more mindful of where he is and move his feet more to get out of the way. I do know that Maynard should be training not to gas because if he can pull off what he did in the second fight he can beat Frankie. I will say this, it is right that frankie shouldn't drop down to FW until he has too because as of right now if he did that Jose would destroy him, but I still think he would give Aldo a run for his money though

rwilkerson15
rwilkerson15
  • Predictions:  2,003  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 193

02.16.2011 | 5:53 AM ET

idk why people are talking about Florian vs. Edgar when he won't even take the challege given to him by Melvin Guillard. I'm not taking any credit away from KenFlo, but i believe in order for him to get any title shot, he has to beat Guillard first. As for Edgar, @caymanfighter is right, his clock is ticking. I'm actually suprised that he's lasted this long as champion, but I'm pretty sure Gray Maynard will finish the job at UFC 130, which i hope resuts in Maynard vs. Aldo

"Say Word..."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.16.2011 | 10:05 AM ET

good forum going here. Now i understand why a lot of people think frankie is just an intermediate champ for the time being, his style (speed, elusiveness, cardio) illustrate a fighter treading water or just trying to survive. But this is in fact what makes him so good, his ability to dictate a fight's pace and out work his opponent. Now Maynard did employ a really smart game plan in using his size and strength to negate edgars speed, but we all saw what happened. He still couldnt be put away, hes cardio was just too much.
Frank will move down eventually, with the belt or not, a super fight with Aldo is looming too, but both are still young in their reign. 
regarding kenflo, didnt he move down to 145 anyway? I think kenflo and Aldo is much more interesting fight than frankie. I just think Kenny cant strike better than Frankie can.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.16.2011 | 10:34 AM ET

It'd be interesting to see KFLO/ALDO - only to see how Jose deals with someone who is definately going to be bigger than him, which hasn't happened thus far. I still think he's  better than KenFlo in all facets of the game anyways, but Kenny is a smart fighter. Hopefully when he gets a shot down there he doesn't blow it.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Says He’ll Submit Alex Pereira Within ‘5 Minutes’ In Grappling Match, ‘Poatan’ Can Pick ‘Any Martial Art’ He Wants
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Ryan Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • MMA Junkie : Aspen Ladd excited with switch from PFL to Bellator, still aims to become champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Colby Covington denies UFC offered him Ian Machado Garry: ‘We all know that he’s a cuck but now we know he’s a liar’
  • Jits Magazine : Helena Crevar Signs Exclusive UK Contract With Polaris
  • MMA Mania : Blachowicz Demands Pereira Rematch For Dec. Return
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington now open to Belal Muhammad matchup, 'super intrigued' by Khamzat Chimaev
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Ryan Garcia cleared for 1 banned substance, Devin Haney responds
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Chael Sonnen, Mike Perry, Anthony Smith, and Cory Sandhagen at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Predictions, Odds, Analysis! UFC St. Louis, X-Factor
  • MMA Junkie : Sean O'Malley thinks Conor McGregor is jealous of him, open to 'legendary' fight at lightweight
  • MMA Mania : Further Drug Testing Clears Ryan (Sorta)
  • MMA Mania : Further Drug Testing Clears ‘King Ryan’ Of Nandrolone Use
  • MMA Mania : New UFC Deal With Saudi Arabia Includes ‘Big’ Event In 2025
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia still denies PED use but says he fought Devin Haney while 'high as f*ck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Sean O’Malley willing to move up to lightweight for ‘legendary’ Conor McGregor fight
  • MMA Mania : Bare Knuckle Bonanza! BYB Acquires UK-Based BKB
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know