Topic: Frankie Edgar

Words that Edgar should think about

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.10.2011 | 4:23 PM ET

So I was watching ufc insider on ufc.com today and one of the questions that was brought up for dana white was who would he like to see change weight classes. He made a surprising (to me) pick of saying Frankie Edgar. Not to say that this hasn't been beaten to death that Frankie is a small LW but considering he was talking about the superfight of Anderson Silva vs GSP that he didn't mention anyone else. Which brings me to these conclusions 1. yes Edgar is a small LW but I mean he's the champ! why would you mess with a good thing? He's also considered to be the top LW in the world right now as well so why give that up? 2. Here's why I think Edgar should drop, he really does have the potential to not only capture the 145 title but simultaneously have and defend both of them. I mean they talk about this with Anderson and him capturing the LHW belt, but I actually think that because of Edgar's size and speed he really could pull this off. Now there is the question of a man named Jose Aldo, but I think Frankie has the tools to pull it off, he's super fast, tonnes of cardio, and he's got great wrestling. This could lead to him taking the belt from Jose. So I hope he really is considering this to cement his legacy in mma history 

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Frankie "The Answer" Edgar

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Frank James Edgar
  • Pro MMA Record: 24-11-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Answer
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: November 12, 2022 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 135.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: Ricardo Almeida Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 68.0" (173cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,191,000 USD
  • Born: Toms River, New Jersey, United States
  • Fighting out of: Toms River, New Jersey
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.21.2011 | 10:59 AM ET

That would be amazing and the best part of it is that's he's 23! he's got tonnes of time to make all of these wonderful ideas and dreams come true, and I for one will be one happy man to watch each and every one of his fights, starting with UFC 129 in Toronto where I will get to watch him personally :D

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.21.2011 | 12:02 PM ET

i think edgar should cut to 145 and he will probably domiante!

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

Team Tanner
Team Tanner
  • Predictions:  410  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  85
  • Post Score: 67

02.21.2011 | 7:37 PM ET

I actually disagree KOKID, but please don't beat me up.  lol.

I think Edgar is actually doing so well at LW because he is so mobile and light on his feet.  He is able to out strike his opponents and close the distance faster than his opponents due to his speed.  I think if he moves down to 145, those guys are going to be much quicker and possibly quicker than Frank Edgar, so he would lose his primary tool that got him the LW belt, his speed.  I think it would come down more to technique and guys like Aldo, Hominick, etc. will be able to present some possible problems.  I say stay at 155 until his style stops working.  He basically just beat the biggest LW the UFC pretty much has, Gray Maynard.

Also, from a business perspective, say Edgar starts losing to the point he would get cut, THEN he could always go down to FW and have that "1 more shot" type thing ya know...

"Believe, in the power of one" - Evan Tanner

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.22.2011 | 4:37 AM ET

Tanner I like your business perspective for Frankie, that would definitely be good for him, but the thing you'd have to think, by the time that this happens would frankie's body be able to cut down to 145. As we were saying before in this forum Frankie is pretty solid at 155, not big, but he has put on muscle mass, so it may be hard to cut that down to FW

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.22.2011 | 5:51 AM ET

@lilspyder thats a great card to get to go watch! I got to see Aldo's last defense in the WEC in person...@team tanner i didn't see edgar beat maynard in their fight...I saw maynard cost himself the belt by trying to finish frankie...I get why guys throw punches non-stop when they have a guy hurt and on the ground, but i'm big on in that situation go ahead and back out and make the ref stand him back up they're not gonna let the guy just lay there he's gonna get stood back up and he's gonna be on wobbly legs or he doesn't get up and the fight is stopped.  

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.22.2011 | 7:53 AM ET

Soccerkick your saying you'd be a huge fan of anderson silva's fight with forrest griffin or frank mir's fight with big nog then? both fights the winner had knocked down their opponent but then let them back up and did it again.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

02.22.2011 | 8:09 AM ET

Actually I had put an example of Mir vs. Big Nog, but then deleted it from my comment!

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.24.2011 | 3:32 PM ET

LOL well then that's what i call a mind meld. For sure though they were the best examples to draw from because they followed that particular game plan perfectly.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.25.2011 | 7:13 AM ET

I'm gonna retract my statement of saying Frankie is too small, I think BJ has actually stole some of Frankie's strategy, a few fighters recently have said cutting weight affects your performance more than you would think. I think the reason he is so good at LW is because most guys are starving and focusing on their diet as much or more than they train technique and conditioning while he can just eat healthy and focus solely on technique, gameplan and conditioning. I find myself training so much harder when I just eat healthy and don't have to restrict water or calories. There is no way your body can perform at 100% when you cut 20lbs the week leading up to a fight. Maybe Frankie has began the trend of fighters fighting at their natural weight.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.25.2011 | 7:44 PM ET

Very interesting theory caymanfighter but what do you say about japanese fighters? I mean most of them fight around their natural weight and don't seem to perform as well, because their opponents are so much bigger than them at fight time. Or is it more because they aren't getting the highest quality of training? (and i will say this to japanese fighters fighting in Japan not those that have to travel to the states I can easily see how jetlag will play into that)

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

02.25.2011 | 8:35 PM ET

Damn @lilspyder we have the same thought process yet again!

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 2:06 PM ET

These things happen

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.28.2011 | 9:16 AM ET

Very true Spider. I do think it has more to do with the decline in quality of Japanese MMA too. Aikiyama should consider moving to 170 but Okami is a huge MW.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.28.2011 | 5:21 PM ET

This is true, I think Okami really understood that in order for him to be competitive he needed to be able to cut down a class in order to fight.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.01.2011 | 5:08 AM ET

spyder, I dont believe Okami ever fought at a higher weight then middle weight. In fact i believe he moved up a weight class from welter weight.

"here I come to save the day"

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.01.2011 | 8:48 AM ET

Franklin I was never saying that he did fight at a higher weight, what I was trying to say was that he was smart from the get go by not competing at LHW. Now with that information that he fought at WW that is impressive, and I just looked it up and he fought at 175 at Rumble on the Rock where he beat Anderson and got beat by Jake Shields. All I can say is that that must have been a huge cut for both Yushin and Anderson although that was five years ago so that's a long time to put on more mass for sure

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan’s Coach Doesn’t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Mokaev Vs. Kape In The Works For UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement