Topic: Sonnen vs. Bisping

Thoughts on Bisping/Sonnen decision?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

***yukken
***yukken
  • Predictions:  168  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  59
  • Post Score: 197

01.29.2012 | 2:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Decision  

I had Bisping winning the first two rounds, with Chael obviously winning the third.  Chael had a few takedowns in those first two rounds but did nothing with them and Bisping got back up quickly.  I thought Bisping won the striking and the clinch game as well in the first 2.  I'll have to look at the fight stats, but after the first viewing, Bisping got robbed IMHO.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Responses

ezzy88
ezzy88
  • Predictions:  730  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 29

01.29.2012 | 2:48 AM ET

bisping stays in fights doesnt finish them, thought sonnen earned the decision

"caelitus mihi vires"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.29.2012 | 2:55 AM ET

Personally, I thought Sonnen won the first. The clinching was roughly equal, as was the striking. The two TDs and tiny amount of ground n' pound pushed Sonnen over the edge for me. 2nd round seemed fairly even, with Bisping getting the better of the striking, and holding Sonnen up against the cage more often than not. Not much action, but seemed like it should definitely have been scored for Bisping. 3rd round was the only decisive round in the fight. Clearly Sonnen. Although, I would state that due to the closeness of the first 2, I would have been inclined to say the fight was a 30-29, with the first 2 rounds being draws, and the third scored as a 10-9 for Sonnen. Seriously, the 30-29 makes sense to me. I don't know maybe it doesn't to anyone else.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

cc7242
cc7242
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 150

01.29.2012 | 2:55 AM ET

Didnt surprise me, I like bisping but I didnt think he would beat Sonnen

"Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war. "

***yukken
***yukken

01.29.2012 | 2:58 AM ET

@ezzy88 It was undoubtedly a close fight but I wasn't particularly impressed with either guy; Sonnen especially was lackluster considering all his talk about being the greatest.  But I'm not sure what he did to win... scoring takedowns without doing anything with them shouldn't win rounds IMO.  So the third round clearly goes to him for getting the TD and moving to dominant positions + a sub attempt, but he didn't come close to anything like that in rounds 1 and 2, rounds in which I thought he was out-boxed and out-clinched.

And Bisping has finishes in 17 of his 22 victories.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

01.29.2012 | 2:58 AM ET

Bisping Gets Robbed Again

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I could see where Bisping won the first two rounds, but the first round could've gone either way. It should've at least been a split decision. How one judge saw it 30-27 for Sonnen is beyond me. If the scores would've been 29-28 across the board, then I couldn't say it was a bad decision, it was just a close fight, but 30-27, yeah it was a bad decision.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.29.2012 | 3:00 AM ET

This is an odd fight for me. On the one hand, I picked Sonnen by Decision and got a perfect, and I agree with a 29-28 scorecard for Sonnen based on the 10-9 system, but I still thought Bisping won the fight, if you will.

I don't know how many boxing fans there are here, but it reminds me of the recent Pacquiao/Marquez fight; most experts (and the stats) point out that Pacman won more of the rounds for sure, so deservedly got the decision, but most fans and pundits believe the moral victory belongs to Marquez.

In pure stats, I thought the first round was close enough to warrant a 10-10, but wouldn't argue with a 10-9 Sonnen. I thought the second was definitely a 10-9 for Bisping, while the third went to Sonnen, 10-9. But again, I think Bisping comes out the moral winner in this fight and probably just got a whole bunch of new non-British converts.

Watching Sonnen's post-fight interview with Ariel Helwani, he said that Bisping hit him so hard in the first round that he doesn't remember it, and also strongly suggested that, had Bisping known how badly he was hurt, he would have "done something about it," and finished him in the first.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

***yukken
***yukken

01.29.2012 | 3:02 AM ET

@zarog Just watched the fight again and I agree those first two rounds were very close, but I still give the edge to Bisping.  Chael wanted the fight to be on the ground but Bisping kept it standing, which I think should count for something, and I think he won the exchanges in the standup.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing the rematch with Anderson.

***yukken
***yukken

01.29.2012 | 3:04 AM ET

@skelliher  That's basically exactly how I feel about this fight.  I also picked Chael by decision.

***yukken
***yukken

01.29.2012 | 3:07 AM ET

After watching the fight again, "robbed" is probably too strong a word.  It was a close fight.  Still saw Bisping winning, but can understand how it could be scored for Sonnen.  Don't agree with the 30-27 score, however.

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

01.29.2012 | 3:38 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Decision  

It's not to feel like the judges had the room to lean towards the "money decision".

It was very close, with neither man really getting to fire off, if Bisping had 30 more seconds at the end of round 3, I think he would taken the fight victory.

I did give the edge to Bisping, and yes the 30-27 was very suspect. But this is the "will of the masses" everyone wanted to see Sonnen v. Silva II, this will make everyone a ton of money.... all Sonnen had to do was make it there, but he kind of floundered this match I don't think everyone is left with a good feeling about it.

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

01.29.2012 | 3:39 AM ET

*It's hard not to

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

01.29.2012 | 3:40 AM ET

bisping won. it was close, but i give bisping one and two. sure chael got takedowns in the first rounds, but he didn't do **** with them. that brings up the whole problem with judging. a takedown should give you some points, but when you don't do anything, it shouldn't mean THAT much. and if the opponent gets right back up it should count for hardly anything. bisping did more damage. bisping won. chael's victory speech was one of the most pathetic self righteous things i have ever heard. i couldn't believe he talked like that after winning such a close decision. he's delusional. anderson will ko him in the first round when they meet again. then bisping will fight silva, and meet the same result. better up your TRT levels chael, cause if you don't, anderson is going to rip your heart out and eat if for dinner.

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

DelRose
DelRose

01.29.2012 | 5:02 AM ET

Who cares, Silva would kill either one.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

01.29.2012 | 5:03 AM ET

@DelRose, so because Silva would kill either one, we aren't allowed to express our opinions on who we thought won?

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

GASTRONAUT
GASTRONAUT
  • Predictions:  5,582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  946
  • Post Score: 191

01.29.2012 | 5:53 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

if the same chael that fought bisping tonight shows up to fight anderson, we will see the first decapitation in ufc history. i don't want to make excuses for chael cause he doesn't need me to do it for him, but he didn't look like the same fighter who took anderson to the 5th or subbed stann.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.29.2012 | 7:20 AM ET

Or maybe just maybe.. Bisping has better takedown defense.. I knew people would just say Chael looked horrible and not give Bisping credit.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

01.29.2012 | 7:49 AM ET

I actually would have liked to have seen Anderson vs Bisping just as much as a Chael rematch........

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

01.29.2012 | 8:49 AM ET

@jaffa: Agreed. 
If this Sonnen fights Anderson, he's going to get owned. 
Bisping would at least be someone new. I also feel that he's paid his dues. After this fight, however, I think Sonnen vs Silva is only slightly more marketable.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

01.29.2012 | 9:13 AM ET

I honestly fell asleep during the fight. Can't comment much on it.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

aoiioushi
aoiioushi
  • Predictions:  5,883  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 100

01.29.2012 | 9:17 AM ET

You have to give Bisping props for improved takedown defense. I'll put him in my top 10 now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'