Topic: Sonnen vs. Bisping

Thoughts on Bisping/Sonnen decision?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

***yukken
***yukken
  • Predictions:  168  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  59
  • Post Score: 197

01.29.2012 | 2:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Decision  

I had Bisping winning the first two rounds, with Chael obviously winning the third.  Chael had a few takedowns in those first two rounds but did nothing with them and Bisping got back up quickly.  I thought Bisping won the striking and the clinch game as well in the first 2.  I'll have to look at the fight stats, but after the first viewing, Bisping got robbed IMHO.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Responses Page 5

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.29.2012 | 9:30 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

@haven I agree.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.29.2012 | 9:39 PM ET

Lol its just funny. Sonnen wins a fight in which he should have lost. Then in the post fight interview hes starts his little "Im the best fighter" ********. Lol I was ust laughin.

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

01.29.2012 | 9:49 PM ET

That post fight tirade was ripped off almost word for word from Superstar Billy Graham. Bloody Elbow called it an homage, but I think that's being kind.  Makes me wonder how much of Sonnen's antics are actually original.

I think the fight could have gone either way, but Bisping's stock is higher now and Sonnen's is lower.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.29.2012 | 10:53 PM ET

I always thought Bisping was a huge threat anyone.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.29.2012 | 10:57 PM ET

Also. Sonnen and his litte "Beat me ... If you can" is straight outta the mouth of ECW Taz back in 1999. Skip to 1:30 of the video. Guy cant make up his own lines I guess?

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

01.29.2012 | 10:58 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I think Sonnen edged out round 1 and won round 3 decisively, but damn. Michael Bisping really brought the fight. Bisping vs. Silva would be super awesome.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.29.2012 | 11:28 PM ET

Mike - What did Bisping do in round 1??? The excahnges were even ( although Sonnen landed more) and he scored the takedown. SOunds like a 10-9 round for me.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

01.29.2012 | 11:40 PM ET

No, Bisping didn't get robbed.
I thought 30-27 Sonnen was BS though.
29-28 Sonnen (1st/3rd round) was the correct score for the match. Sonnen was dominant in the first half of the first round and I'd consider the second half of the first round almost neutral.
It's just that Sonnen underperformed and Bisping exceeded expectations and Joe Rogan's commentary that caused people to think that Bisping was robbed.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.30.2012 | 4:50 AM ET

@dielegende your post on the second page is the best in tapology history my friend :) haha

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.30.2012 | 7:01 AM ET

The 30-27 was stupid. The rest as most people point out were normal scores. I'd rather people not get points for pointless takedowns (because Chael does nothing when he takes you down, at least nothing that could hurt you) but under current rules yes he could have won.

Though I have to say I was supper bummed. I wanted bisping to win so Silva can KTFO him and Sonnen to loose so Palhares can rip his leg off.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

01.30.2012 | 7:24 AM ET

I keep hearing that report was not accurate... The 30-27.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,023  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

01.30.2012 | 7:25 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Thanks Thiago !!! I rewatched the fight in the meantime and the first round was a close one, closer than I thought it was, the first time I watched it live. Even though Bisping lost the fight officially, I'm pretty sure he gained something else with it,  hopefully that will be some more respect from the fans and the UFC. I think with his performance he earned another fight with a top MW right away, and I hope we can see a Silva vs. Bisping fight eventually.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.30.2012 | 7:28 AM ET

Bisping really should have nothing to be ashamed about. If you really think about it the roles were reversed. Bisping lost but his stock went way up. Sonnen won but not convincingly at all, his stock just took a nose dive.

* Edited at 01.30.2012, 9:53 AM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.30.2012 | 7:29 AM ET

I think Bisping will fight for a title very soon anyways. And when the time comes I think he will win it.

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

01.30.2012 | 7:33 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

with so many articles on mistakes, claims to articles are inacurate etc the ac really needs to put out a difinitive statement on who scored what for who. simple thing to do but makes them look a lot more profesional/organised to get it cleared up quick. come on illonois get it together

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

01.30.2012 | 8:04 AM ET

@wilflet.. agreed completely.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Woodstock
Woodstock
  • Predictions:  983  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  67
  • Post Score: 209

01.30.2012 | 9:17 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Although disappointed for Mike I think this fight has done a lot to stop all of the detractors from calling out his skills. 

In my opinion though if someone wants the fight on the ground and scores from getting a takedown, the same score should be awarded to a grounded fighter that gets back up onto his feet.

"You're never alone with schizophrenia"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.30.2012 | 9:42 AM ET

I think we've all reached a similar conclusion, even if some of us disagree with the decision. Personally, after watching the fight a few more times I'd score it 29-29, with a 10-10 first round, a 10-9 Bisping second, and a 10-9 Sonnen third, but it wasn't a robbery either way.

Bisping's stock certainly went way up with this performance, and that's the biggest story coming out of the fight.

Contrary to what many are saying, Sonnen's stock didn't go down in my book just because he failed to dominate a heavy underdog. IMO, this was more a case of Bisping being much improved than Sonnen having a poor performance. I think Sonnen is just as good as he has been over the last three years, but Bisping is looking better than ever and I fully expect him to challenge for the title by the end of the year or early next year.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.30.2012 | 9:47 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Sonnen is a clown. He was acting like he won by knockout or something. His persona is just weak and tiresome by now. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.30.2012 | 9:48 AM ET

@buffalo agreed!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov
  • UFC.com : Rankings Report | Week of May 6, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Jermall Charlo charged with DWI and fleeing after crashing Lamborghini
  • UFC.com : Last Time In St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Billy Goff Is Willing To Take The Risks
  • MMA Mania : White Accused Of Betting On NFL During Boring Bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry unsure Darren Till fight happens, teases interest in Caleb Plant: ‘Bring it on, motherf*ckers’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Laura Sanko joins booth for second time in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Payton Talbott draws Yanis Ghemmouri at UFC 303 on June 29
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Will Lewis Turn Back Another Prospect?
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Jon Jones 'smart' for going after Alex Pereira over Tom Aspinall
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja dreams of fight against flyweight ‘GOAT’ Demetrious Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Brain Damage Forces Hardy From BKFC 61
  • MMA Junkie : Heather Hardy suffering from effects of 'too much brain damage,' indicates fighting career is over
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC champ Dricus du Plessis perform as Wildebeest on The Masked Singer