Topic: Sonnen vs. Bisping

Thoughts on Bisping/Sonnen decision?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

***yukken
***yukken
  • Predictions:  168  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  59
  • Post Score: 197

01.29.2012 | 2:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Decision  

I had Bisping winning the first two rounds, with Chael obviously winning the third.  Chael had a few takedowns in those first two rounds but did nothing with them and Bisping got back up quickly.  I thought Bisping won the striking and the clinch game as well in the first 2.  I'll have to look at the fight stats, but after the first viewing, Bisping got robbed IMHO.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Responses Page 2

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

01.29.2012 | 9:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Decision  

@thiagosilva9749

No one is taking anything away from Bisping, certainly not. But we've all watched Chael enough to know there was a severe lack of aggression to his fight plan. Perhaps it's due to a lack of PED's? I also don't think Bisping was a aggressive as he could be, like the Bisping who wrecked Miller.

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

01.29.2012 | 9:48 AM ET

I think Bisping's "stock" rose more than any other fighter last night. The loss may have been the best thing for him however as now he gets more time before a title shot and Anderson gets older.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,086  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

01.29.2012 | 10:03 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

@Hellequin Well the judges took the win away from Bisping for starters, I also think Bisping is one of the most underrated fighters in the UFC. It reflects in the odds, the large number of people here who picked Sonnen without even thinking about it a second or all people who thaught Sonnen is gonna run through him like nothing.

I also don't think what we saw yesterday night was a different Chael Sonnen from what we saw in the Stann or Silva fight. He looked extemly sharp at the weigh ins but he was coming in with the same gameplan he always has, take the opponent down, keep him there and so on.
The difference this time he faught a guy who was able to defend that one trick, this big mouth pony has....

Long stroy short kudos to Bisping hope he finally gets some more respect after this .

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

01.29.2012 | 10:27 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I thought the first 2 were for Bisping. Last was clearly Sonnen. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

01.29.2012 | 11:30 AM ET

I think Bisping won the fight, but it was close enough to go either way, except for the brainless judge that scored it 30-27, that was real bad judging. anyway even if I thought Bisping won I was sure they were going to give the fight to Sonnen, much more money if he is in the fight with Silva, but if the dude couldn't put a descent performance against Bisping, can't imagine what Silva is gonna do with him. I just don't see the 2nd fight going the same way than the 1st.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.29.2012 | 11:51 AM ET

I think Sonnen won the fight, but Bisping was great.

"الله أكبرl"

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,102  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

01.29.2012 | 11:59 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I gave the first round to Sonnen because I count a takedown more than I do pushing the fighter against the fence, the second to Bisping and the third obviously for Sonnen. Here's the link to the fightmetric report on the fight and they back me up

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/01/sonnen-vs-bisping-official-ufc.html

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

01.29.2012 | 12:29 PM ET

Wow. Immediately after the fight, I thought Bisping won. However, when I heard '30-27' I knew what was coming and I was completely in awe. ***. Seriously, Bisping at least drew that fight. at least 29-28 across the board wouldnt had been as ridiculous as  30-27! If I was a Chael Sonnen fan, id tuck my neck in and stop all this talk of him beating Andy 100% if they fight and Id give Bisping the credit he deserves, cause frankly, everyone talks smack on Bisping when in reality you could make a strong case he just beat the No.2 middleweight.

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

01.29.2012 | 12:47 PM ET

Sonnen landed 30 more strikes, pushed forward more, and landed 3 more takedowns and was the only one to hold dominant positions. I guess Bisping won the second due to wall and stall but Chael won the fight.
ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

01.29.2012 | 12:51 PM ET

I honestly did not see any way Bisping won. I thought Chael clearly won that fight. Joe's TUF homerism was on display for that fight, saying Bisping won the first two rounds. What? I could understand it being 1-1 going to the third, but two for Bisping was ridiculous. I don't like him, but i think this loss will help Bisping in the course of his career, he gave the second best middleweight on the planet a real tough time, and only had a few weeks to prepare.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.29.2012 | 12:56 PM ET

I gave Bisping the first 2 rounds. I believed he landed the more effective strikes in the first 2 rounds Sonnen clearly took the 3rd. The first two were close so it's not a terrible decision. I think a lot of people thought Sonnen would dominate and it was a very close fight. Bisping prior to this fight was one of the most underrated in the division.

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 1:01 PM ET *

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

01.29.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

Oh and Chael was holding his own against Bisping in the boxing if not getting the better of the exchanges. The only thing Bisping clearly did better than Chael was wall and stall.
benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

01.29.2012 | 1:10 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

It is posted on mixedmartialart.com this morning, it was announced wrong the it actually was a split decision, the 30-27 was for Bisping.  How the hell he won the 3rd round I'll never know, but that's why you don't leave it to the judges. 

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/381231/SonnenBisping-fight-was-actually-split-decision-not-unanimous/

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.29.2012 | 1:15 PM ET

Wow! Good find Ben. That little tidbit affects this whole conversation.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

01.29.2012 | 1:16 PM ET

Hard to know who exactly to blame, but the sense I get is that the Illinois commission is bush league.

"I live, I die, I live again."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.29.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

And when I clicked on "read entire article" it took me here 

You didn't mention the other mistake Ben:

There was a mistake in reading the cards or how they were presented to Bruce Buffer tonight.  Judge Patrick Morley, who was announced as having scored the Demian Maia vs. Chris Weidman fight 29-28 for Maia, actually scored it 30-27 for Weidman so it was a unanimous decision for Weidman and not a split decision.

In the Chael Sonnen vs. Michael Bisping fight, Judges Brad Odom and Otto Torriero gave Sonnen rounds one and three and Bisping round two.  Judge Clay Goodman gave all three rounds to Bisping. 

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.29.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

Hey now Gregory, it's not like my state is known for corrupt government or anything...oh wait :)

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.29.2012 | 1:19 PM ET

Isn't Illinois the state that doesn't have anything in their rules for a grappling criteria.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

01.29.2012 | 1:20 PM ET

Is it THAT hard to do 10+10+10=30 ?!?

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

01.29.2012 | 1:22 PM ET

@bigj not sure. But the commission is responsible for walking around between rounds, confirming with each judge, picking up the scorecards, and adding them up.  So unless the judges themselves filled out their cards wrong and didn't even know which fighter was which, I blame the commission.

On top of that, how could they justify appointing a referee with only 15 fights officiated? Granted he was only assigned to a single fight (Big Johnson vs Beltran), but still, this is the major leagues. 

"I live, I die, I live again."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Bader To Play A Role In Mark Kerr Movie Starring The Rock
  • Middle Easy : Aljamain Sterling Will ‘Bet His Life Savings’ On Himself Against Sean O’Malley In Rematch
  • Bad Left Hook : Mayweather vs Ortiz exhibition rematch reportedly planned for Aug. 24
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC FIGHT PASS INVITATIONAL 7
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier questions if Stipe Miocic can 'still compete at that level' vs. Jon Jones
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Typical big bully’: Carl Froch rips ‘disgraceful’ John Fury for headbutt
  • MMA Mania : Yes, They’re Making A ‘Road House’ Sequel
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch Fury Vs Usyk Grand Arrivals From Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Says He ‘Never Wanted To Leave’ UFC, Waiting For ‘Offer’ Before Making His Next Move
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Joaquin Buckley doubling down on Conor McGregor callout, Barber vs. Namajunas, more
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC president David Feldman sees Conor McGregor as perfect partner: 'He's got phenomenal business acumen'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books Virna Jandiroba vs. Amanda Lemos for July bout
  • Bad Left Hook : IBF orders Canelo to face mandatory challenger Scull
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Gilbert Burns says 'let's do it' in response to Joaquin Buckley's callout
  • MMAFighting.com : Darren Till won’t fight ‘big dumbo’ Mike Perry in BKFC, says bare-knuckle is ‘when you’re coming to the end’
  • MMA Mania : New Rankings! Lewis Returns To Heavyweight Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : With Colby Covington 'running,' Ian Machado Garry reveals slew of names offered by UFC
  • MMA Mania : ‘Poatan’ Gets New Job At Topps Hobby Shop
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk preview, Lomachenko, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Devin Haney’s attorney calls for Ryan Garcia disqualification in NYSAC letter, Garcia responds