Topic: Pettis vs. Guida

Pettis vs. Guida Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,636  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,567
  • Post Score: 60

01.21.2011 | 1:43 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Pettis vs. Guida. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 6

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

06.05.2011 | 6:24 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

i did not notice it. i only saw hair on top.
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

06.05.2011 | 6:26 PM ET

Did anyone else notice Greg Jackson shaking his head when Guida was talking about how he deserved the enxt title ****.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

06.05.2011 | 6:30 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

@Wolf, yeah it was there for a few seconds and then you couldn't see it because the cornermen holding it didn't position it properly >_< 

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

06.05.2011 | 7:20 PM ET

The fathead poster and all of his thank you's to random people were over the top, and I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC instructs him not to do it again.

I remember seeing a video (might have been a Dana video blog) where before the fights they were instructing all of the fighters:  "Do NOT go on thanking your friends/trainers/sponsors - nobody watching on TV wants to hear about that. The reason we're doing a post-fight interview is to talk about the fight and where you go next."

And that's the way it should be.  The post-fight interview is a privilege provided by the UFC, and it's a part of the show. Sometimes it's appropriate if they have something special they've overcome and have a real heartfelt statement to make. But most of the time it's boring and nobody cares, and it's not why they are giving them the microphone.

"I live, I die, I live again."

kallousklown
kallousklown

06.05.2011 | 7:26 PM ET

Who here owns a fathead? anyone? be honest.

Gregory
Gregory

06.05.2011 | 7:36 PM ET

I guess they would be cool for a kid's room or maybe even in your office if it's a casual workplace.

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

06.05.2011 | 7:46 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I liked the, "Donald Cerrone your gonna kick ass next weekend" thrown in there lol.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

06.05.2011 | 8:02 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

"Do NOT go on thanking your friends/trainers/sponsors - nobody watching on TV wants to hear about that. The reason we're doing a post-fight interview is to talk about the fight and where you go next."

Well looks like the majority didn't listen to those instructions :D I think Guida was (still) just running on adrenaline and couldn't contain himself.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

06.05.2011 | 8:19 PM ET

Did anyone watch the post fight press conference? Guida is delusional. First of all, he keeps saying how dominant his performance was. Just because judges are idiots doesn't mean you were dominant.
Also, what really bugged me, is he keeps referring to himself as the most exciting lightweight fighter. Are you ******* kidding? He is a bottom two most boring lightweight fighter (right behind Maynard). Just because he does shoulder bumps doesn't make him exciting. God he's so delusional, I can't stand it. The only thing worse than a boring fighter is a boring fighter who thinks he's exciting.

"We Are All One"

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

06.05.2011 | 8:55 PM ET

That was probably top 3 boring LW performance I've ever seen for sure, so I understand why Jackson rolled his eyes and shook his head when Guida said if the UFC wants an exciting LW title fight he's ready.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

kallousklown
kallousklown

06.05.2011 | 9:29 PM ET

Not to fighter bash or anything but I think its ******** for Guida to call himself exciting after his performances. Its also ironic that his entrances are energetic and hes jumping up and down and moving all his hair around. Sure he had 3 finishes in a row before the Pettis fight but I think his entrance yesterday was more exciting than his fight.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

06.05.2011 | 9:36 PM ET

I found the fight exciting. I called it Guida decision or Pettis submission. What excited me was the transitioning and submission escapes Guida was able to get out of. He tried to pass full guard sometimes but Pettis had such great jits and control of the wrists. Such an amazing defensive guard it was interesting to see Guida try to squirm out of everything. 
I can't really blame Guida for Pettis letting him take him down. This is called "mixed" martial arts after all. I can see why you'd all call it boring but it was pretty active when they were on the ground. It's not like Guida laid there motionless and if he did. Please provide a GIF. I'd be more than happy to stand corrected.
I think Guida had only a slight advantage on the ground and escaping everything. If he stood he would have got worked. If he tried a submission of his own he would have been easily turned over and submitted for trying. Good game plan for Guida but to the casual fan it looked stalemate.
I have no complaints about the fight. But I'm sure everyone here does because they wanted Pettis to win. I was sitting on the fence with submission(Pettis) Decision(Guida). 

The most ironic part about people complaining about this fight is that if Guida was to be boring for the whole 3 rounds and get submitted in the late 3rd. No one would be complaining, but you have to look at the guy on the bottom. He worked his ass off for submissions and Guida escaped many of them. So it goes both ways. 

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

06.05.2011 | 9:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Guida   correct Decision  

I think it's a little ridiculous to call Guida the most boring fighter.

He has more finishes in the last year that GSP, Maynard, Edgar and Fitch combined for the last 2 years.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Gregory
Gregory

06.05.2011 | 9:44 PM ET

I was rooting for Pettis and was frustrated with how the fight unfolded.  However I don't think we need to come down too hard on Clay Guida for that.  He was working hard the entire fight - even if he couldn't pass guard or get much going.

Ultimately I think the FightMetric report was pretty accurate.  It was a much closer fight than the judges saw it, but I think Guida did enough to eke it out.  It's not his fault what the judges scored or his job to take responsibility for it.

This fight was another example where 15 minutes of fighting is just not sufficient anymore. All too often, these athletes are too well conditioned and too skilled to properly see the proper conclusion or resolution of the fight.  Neither fighter was terribly tired, neither fighter inflicted much damage on the other, and nothing truly definitive took place.  They should have kept fighting.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

06.05.2011 | 9:48 PM ET

I meant to say if Pettis got a submission in the later 3rd round. No one would be complaining about Pettis. My bad.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

06.05.2011 | 9:51 PM ET

Wow. This is my 2nd time editing my post..fail. I meant to say...If Pettis got the submission in the 3rd round. No one would be complaining about Guida being boring...wow.lol

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

06.06.2011 | 7:50 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@Body, I would still complain about him being boring, he is only exciting when he is acting as a human punching bag

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

06.06.2011 | 8:05 AM ET

I've never heard anyone complain about Guida being boring until this fight, because they wanted Pettis to fight. I can tell by the predictions and then the comments followed about Guida being boring....
I don't know how you could see it any other way. It was either Pettis submission or Guida decision.
Pettis's guard was far too legit for Guida to get anywhere. If it was any other fighter they would have went to sleep from a submission.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

06.06.2011 | 10:19 AM ET

Body I don't see how that's at all ironic.  Of course no one's going to complain if Pettis had submitted Guida.  No one would be complaining if Guida had submitted Pettis either.  Guida's last fight against Gomi was horrible up until the guillotine which made people forget about how slow and action-less the fight was up until then. 
It's when a fighter uses wrestling and shoulder bumps to get the judges to give him the fight that people might get sick of.  Pettis was doing everything he could to finish the fight from wherever he was.  I don't think Guida ever thought for a second that he was going to finish that fight.  The only time he even attempted a submission was at the end of the third round.  Guida's GnP was pretty much non existent because of Pettis' incredible wrist control too.  I thought Pettis landed harder shots from his back than Guida landed in the entire fight.
To be honest I wonder if the ref didn't stand the fight up more often because Pettis was so active with submission attempts and strikes.  I'm sure that's a mistake Pettis will learn from, though I think this is more a problem with the scoring system favouring wrestlers.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

06.06.2011 | 11:10 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I agree with Lynx.

I have always thought Guida was boring unless he is getting lit up like in the Sanchez fight. On the feet he dances around aimlessly and on the ground he does just enough to not get stood up. I counted a few times when more than 10 seconds passed that Guida just laid in the guard of Pettis, he didnt even try to pass.

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Redneck Brawl 6: Live updates and results, 7:30 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja Vs. Erceg Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape insists UFC champion Alexandre Pantoja not on his level
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 predictions
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 play-by-play, live results (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs. Munguia Results, Streaming Updates TONIGHT!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Odds, Finals Betting Lines
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio Puts Opponent To Sleep In 35 Seconds At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Majestic BJJ Challenge 4 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds: Opening/Closing Betting Line Movements
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury